Options

Reality Check Please....

dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
edited July 22, 2006 in The Big Picture
Ok I have been sitting on this trying not to rant about it. But this is by far the forum where I think I would get the best reality check from so I will post this little Poll/Question here.

Here are two sentences. Please explain what both of them mean to you.

Reset hours each new year...

and I guess the second one isn't so much of a sentence but more of a question after hearing someone use this word incorrectly and then deffend their usage against the dictionairy.

What does "original" mean?
Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
www.zxstudios.com
http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Here are two sentences. Please explain what both of them mean to you.

Reset hours each new year...

and I guess the second one isn't so much of a sentence but more of a question after hearing someone use this word incorrectly and then deffend their usage against the dictionairy.

What does "original" mean?

The first one means that every new year the clock needs to be reset at new year (perhaps some 365 day clock? I think it's a translation from Japanese by the Zero Wing people ne_nau.gif )
    original is either a source from which something arises, or some firsthand work, or a person who is inventive I would say.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I'm hearing two rants in two weeks about small stuff.

What was I supposed to hear? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm hearing two rants in two weeks about small stuff.

What was I supposed to hear? lol3.gif

Laughing.gif funny :P. Just trying to figure out if I am actually expecting too much of people for them to have a basic elementary grasp of their native language. I mean common for a person with a master's degree to well at me for 15 minutes cause she doesn't understand why something works, and the reason it doesn't work is because she doesn't understand what the word reset means, is a bit nutty isn't it. Or have american standards really fallen so much that it's ok to not understand the basics of ones own native language. I mean it's not like I expect people to know how to spell the words, but they could at least have an idea of what they mean.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I am actually expecting too much of people for them to have a basic elementary grasp of their native language.

Does this include spelling? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    I mean it's not like I expect people to know how to spell the words, but they could at least have an idea of what they mean.
    Andy did you not read the complete statement? :P Unless it's in a published peice of work IE Quote, Report, Book, News Article, etc as long as I know the word they are going for I'm ok.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    I don't know what's being asked here.

Firstly: "Reset hours each new year..." appears to be a sentence fragment and depending on the context and the subject to which it applies could vary the meaning.

Secondly: anyone who would defend (one "f" please) their incorrect definition or usage of a word against that which is published in a dictionary is too ignorant to argue with.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/original
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    I don't know what's being asked here.

Mainly trying to find out if my expectations of people in the business world are really too high. I mean I am a very flexible guy. Spelling doesn't really bother me lord knows I don't always spell things properly, appearance doesn't really bug me as long as people are clean and don't smell, I don't expect people to keep their desk's ultra clean, I don't even expect people not to get upset from time to time. Hell I don't even expect them to load toner on their own in the printers. But a basic knowledge of common terms I mean is that too much to ask.

Reset = to begin again, to set again or anew

The statement in question is a filter option in a database. Basically do you want the field to reset at the start of a new year. Which I and most people here have understood as to mean start again at the original setting.

This "educated" person who setup the feature it was controlling argued with me that reset ment that it would add the new total to the old total not make everything start over. I got yelled at for 15 minutes until I threw up M-W.com and pointed out her ineptitude.

And the "original" thing wasn't a fight with me just something I saw happen yesterday that kinda blew my mind.

I mean has it come to the state where it is ok for people in america to be this clueless. Forget violence on TV at this point I'm more worried about stupid people being on TV and kids thinking it's ok to be like that.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Life is too short my man!
    You need a good hobby to occupy your mind enough to keep you from obsessing about trivial stuff like this.

May I suggest photography mwink.gif

No wait, that doesn't seem to be working...
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Forget violence on TV at this point I'm more worried about stupid people being on TV and kids thinking it's ok to be like that.

Er, I really hate to break this to ya but stupid people have been on TV since it started. In fact there has never been a medium so overrun by stupidity in the history of human kind. Its way too late to worry about it. Just break open a bag of Cheetos, guzzle down a Coke and enjoy the latest episodes of Big Brother, Survivor, & Miami Ink. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Er, I really hate to break this to ya but stupid people have been on TV since it started. In fact there has never been a medium so overrun by stupidity in the history of human kind. Its way too late to worry about it. Just break open a bag of Cheetos, guzzle down a Coke and enjoy the latest episodes of Big Brother, Survivor, & Miami Ink. rolleyes1.gif

It is, after all, a vast cultural wasteland.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Just break open a bag of Cheetos, guzzle down a Coke and enjoy the latest episodes of Big Brother, Survivor, & Miami Ink. rolleyes1.gif

They really suck harry...dont you still get M.A.S.H on cable ?
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    You need a good hobby to occupy your mind enough

Laughing.gif More like I just need to start putting in more time on projects outside of work and get to the point where I am working for myself again and can afford to pay someone to deal with stupid people for me.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    Laughing.gif More like I just need to start putting in more time on projects outside of work and get to the point where I am working for myself again and can afford to pay someone to deal with stupid people for me.
    I often do what you are complaining about to younger people that think they are important. They honestly dont know that im providing myself free entertainment all day long. Just remember...you may be the subject of someones bordem & fun.
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    younger people that think they are important.

Hence why at work I sit in my office and hide. As much as I can I avoid contact with people at work and try to appear as meak as possible to stay out of the light so to speak. Besides this person is one of the more mild people who I never have issues with till today and I went through the entired database to check the filter settings she was applying on every employee to verify what the problem was before I explained the answer to her. Which started off as a simple "well lets just uncheck this and see if that clears it up" and ended in a "this is what the dictionary says and this is what the help file says" moments.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I mean common for a person with a master's degree to well at me for 15 minutes ....

Could someone explain this sentence to me? Well, Well, Well Well?

or

Maybe you could wail at her and put her in a well.

(Couldn't decide on which SA reply to use)
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    gus wrote:
    They really suck harry...dont you still get M.A.S.H on cable ?

That's the problem Gus I have hundreds of channels on my cable subscription. Right now I watch MASH and Seinfeld reruns, new episodes of Deadwood and CNN. I mean with all those damn channels they could squeeze in some decent drama and music somewhere. I have around 57 movie channels. Do they all have to show dreck 24 hours a day? I mean how many times can you show "Porky's Revenge" in one year?
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Mainly trying to find out if my expectations of people in the business world are really too high. Yes I mean I am a very flexible guy. Not based on what I’m reading. Spelling doesn't really bother me It bothers the heck outa me!, but that’s because I cain’t speel. lord knows I don't always spell things properly, appearance doesn't really bug me as long as people are clean and don't smell, See, I thought you said you were flexible? In many cultures it’s not considered proper or necessary to bath EVERY day. I don't expect people to keep their desk's ultra clean, you shouldn’t, it’s their desk not yours. I don't even expect people not to get upset from time to time. Nice of you. Hell I don't even expect them to load toner on their own in the printers. Is it in their job descriptions? But a basic knowledge of common terms I mean is that too much to ask. Yes!

Reset = to begin again, to set again or anew

The statement in question is a filter option in a database. Basically do you want the field to reset at the start of a new year. Which I and most people here have understood as to mean start again at the original setting. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>
    The question, and answer are contextual. I don’t know very much about data bases, so does it mean to reset the field to some original factory setting? Does it start new (date, time) at the beginning of each year? When does the year start? Jan 1<SUP>st</SUP>, new fiscal year. I always start a new year on my birthday.

This "educated" person who setup the feature it was controlling argued with me that reset meant that it would add the new total to the old total not make everything start over. I got yelled at for 15 minutes until I threw up M-W.com and pointed out her ineptitude. <o:p></o:p>

The educated can only allow so much from the hired help.

And the "original" thing wasn't a fight with me just something I saw happen yesterday that kinda blew my mind.

I mean has it come to the state where it is ok for people in america
    PLEASE!!! America! Capital A! to be this clueless. Over half are. Forget violence on TV at this point I'm more worried about stupid people being on TV and kids thinking it's ok to be like that. I’m more worried about the stupid having children. <o:p></o:p>

Take a deep breath, take the damn earring out, sit back and down some single malt Scotch<o:p></o:p>

Sam :D <o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 19, 2006
    Sometimes spelling makes a difference:
    As much as I can I avoid contact with people at work and try to appear as meak as possible to stay out of the light so to speak.
    meak
    \Meak\, n. [Cf. AS. m[=e]ce sword, OS. m[=a]ki, Icel. m[ae]kir.] A hook with a long handle. [Obs.] --Tusser.

meek (memacr.gifk)
    adj. meek·er, meek·est
    1. Showing patience and humility; gentle.
    2. Easily imposed on; submissive.
    So you sit in your office trying to be a hook with a long handle?

And why would objects in mirror appear to be loosing? Are they not tied on tight enough?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 20, 2006
    Your first sentence is a question and awkwardly worded at that.
    When you clarified it by saying "do you want the field to reset at the
    start of a new year?", I was with you all the way.

Not everyone has the same working knowledge of the tool as you may
    and what is obvious to you may not be clear and concise to someone
    else.

The people you are refering to as "clueless" probably wonder where you
    went to school too. Especially when it comes to the tact or lack of it in
    dealing with them.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Especially when it comes to the tact or lack of it in
    dealing with them.

Ah but see I always bite the bullet, smile, and answer all of their questions with respect to start off with. Granted some of that may go away when they argue with me over the answer I gave them (I mean if they already knew the answer why did they ask?), but unless provoked I always start off relatively nice.

As far as the phrasing of the first question that is exactly how it is in the software. And they knew what they wanted the tool to do. The basic issue was them yelling at me and arguing with me about what the word reset means.

Never, ever, ever have I seen reset used in a way that ment anything other than to begin again. Never have I seen it mean to just keep the data that is there and add to it.

So if you know you want to simply add new numbers to the numbers already there why would you tell the software to reset before putting in the new numbers.

Keep in mind that I'm not stupid enough to tell my co-workers to their face that I think they should retake high school and middle school.

Does anyone actually have a sample of where reset doesn't mean to start fresh, begin again, start anew?
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 20, 2006
    The crux is what are you resetting to? Is it "when I started the program" or
    "0" or "remove my last entry" or ... ?

Regarding my comment, it seems as though (recently) your conversations
    end in "yelling" (your word) at your customers (or whipping out a dictionary
    just to prove a point). Kind of adversarial in a customer support role don't
    you think?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    The crux is what are you resetting to? Is it "when I started the program" or
    "0" or "remove my last entry" or ... ?

Regarding my comment, it seems as though (recently) your conversations
    end in "yelling" (your word) at your customers (or whipping out a dictionary
    just to prove a point). Kind of adversarial in a customer support role don't
    you think?

Ahh but as you stated reset never means add. All of the conditions you listend reffer to going backwards in time, not adding to what is already there.

Not customers.... Co-workers, and I wasn't the one yelling if you read the statement I was the one getting yelled at. And yes if someone wants to start a fight with me over the meaning of a word I will whip out a M-W.com to prove my point and end the fight. I'm not about to stand there and take a whipping over someone else's error. Granted I have been a bit edgy lately but I don't just blow up at people for the fun of it.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Keep in mind that I'm not stupid enough to tell my co-workers to their face that I think they should retake high school and middle school.
    If you're thinking it, you're prolly showing it. A few people are good enough to hide these sorts of thoughts - they're the really dangerous ones. The rest of us either show it... or shove such thoughts aside (recommended.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    I nuked two posts, please watch your language (even virtual cursing) thank you.
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    HTH mwink.gif
    Nick you left out the one single line you gave me over & over & over to each request i made re my problems with starexplorer no matter how much i tried to get a diff answer from you all you would reply was...

"are you sure its not a finger problem"

Hence ..why i now use & love 'send to smugmug'
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Gus,
    gus wrote:
    Nick you left out the one single line you gave me over & over & over to each request i made re my problems with starexplorer no matter how much i tried to get a diff answer from you all you would reply was...

"are you sure its not a finger problem"

Hence ..why i now use & love 'send to smugmug'

I honestly don't remember what the problem was, except that it was a very long time and 50 or so version updates ago. I don't have any traces of it in my email and could not find references to it here at dgrin (all I found was this :-).
    I highly doubt, however, that I mentioned any "fingers" in my support replies,ne_nau.gif so I guess you're speaking figuratively.

As to the "Send To Smugmug" - it's a very nice tool, and if it covers your needs - that's great! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Dragon,

Here's my reality check for you:

You need to learn the value of humility.

Every person is your master in some regard, so you have no option but to be humble.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I honestly don't remember what the problem was, except that it was a very long time and 50 or so version updates ago. I don't have any traces of it in my email and could not find references to it here at dgrin (all I found was this :-).
    I highly doubt, however, that I mentioned any "fingers" in my support replies,ne_nau.gif so I guess you're speaking figuratively.

As to the "Send To Smugmug" - it's a very nice tool, and if it covers your needs - that's great! thumb.gif
    No...you used that 'exact' term over & over several times each time i came back to you. I have since cleared my PM's. Its good that i can explain it to both your programmers dept & marketing dept all at once.

I actually did find your programme fantastic as i mentioned ...until... i needed some help. Nothing personal mate but lets not get too carried away with how programmers interact with clients. I could well do the same to them when it comes to moving a fridge...a very very basic function for me but im sure not for others & thus i dont post a list of replys that ridicule those that cant do a very easy task for me.

Hope you understand where im coming from here.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Hey Gus
    gus wrote:
    Hope you understand where im coming from here.

Nothing in my email or PMs either.. ne_nau.gif
    Anyway, whatever happened - happened, and hardly anything can be done to fix the past. I'm truly sorry you feel that way. rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2006
    Gus and Nik - take it offline if you need to continue please, thanks deal.gif