Options

MAC or PC for digital imaging and WHY?

GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Technique
I'd like to buy a desktop dedicated for digital imaging. My dilemma - MAC or PC :scratch

Rather new to the world of digital photography and would like to know what most professional photographers prefer and more importantly why?

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Gouri wrote:
    I'd like to buy a desktop dedicated for digital imaging. My dilemma - MAC or PC headscratch.gif

Rather new to the world of digital photography and would like to know what most professional photographers prefer and more importantly why?

Either one will be fine. I'm a Mac fan, and most creative professionals are Mac users.

Macs are not as prone to malware problems and OSX is a joy to use.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Can you recommend a link/site that details on the basic specifics required etc...
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Gouri wrote:
    Can you recommend a link/site that details on the basic specifics required etc...

Can you give us more of an idea of what it is you're after?

Are you new to photography? Or are you an old-school darkroom rat looking to modernize? Are you new to computers in general, or just digital photography and imaging applications? Are you a hobbyist? How serious are you?

I ask these questions because if you're relatively new to computers and digital photography, then pretty much any computer will be fine.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Well, I see me as a serious hobbyist. Would love to be a professional but not there yet. Yes, new to digital and imaging applications. I'm more familiar with PCs than MAC but I do hear that MACs are better at handling digital imaging. I want to invest (if you will!), in a system that is robust, easy to work with and will last for awhile - I'm thinking hassle free and long term.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    Gouri wrote:
    I want to invest (if you will!), in a system that is robust, easy to work with and will last for awhile - I'm thinking hassle free and long term.
    It is widely expected that Apple's new generation of (Intel-based) pro desktop computers could be announced on the morning of Monday 7 August.
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    A good friend of mine is also making this decision. Is the same software available for the Mac as is available for the PC when it comes to photo management and manipulation, including some RAW processor for Canon? Another worry is that if he runs into problems trying to figure something out and asks one of his friends for help, will the user interface to the software be the same? Will he be comparing apples to apples so to speak?

Jamie
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    I think theres a small learning curve for either choice, so you may want to factor that in. I'd say if you didn't want to spend a week or two learning a mac and all its functions, it may be worth it to stick to a PC...or vice versa. At the same time, it probably wouldn't hurt to be familiar with both devices.

As for programs, most anything on a mac is also on pc. Their may be some slight differences in programs, but I wouldn't imagine they would be too hard to figure out.

I don't own a mac, but I'm sure I heard that you can run windows applications on a mac now which might be another factor to add to the equation.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    Gouri wrote:
    Well, I see me as a serious hobbyist. Would love to be a professional but not there yet. Yes, new to digital and imaging applications. I'm more familiar with PCs than MAC but I do hear that MACs are better at handling digital imaging. I want to invest (if you will!), in a system that is robust, easy to work with and will last for awhile - I'm thinking hassle free and long term.

Then go PC & get the best equipment your budget will allow. I hear Dell is having some firesales on their boxes, otherwise DIY is the best bang for the buck. IMHO the "Mac is better at digital imaging" is :bs -- the technical advantages they had when making a foothold in the market evaporated years ago.

Yes, there is less malware out there--the writers are simply going for the biggest target for the risk they take. A competent users taking reasonable precautions will not run into trouble (the only virii I've ever had to deal with have been co-worker's machines...starting with a Mac network virus)
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Even the anti-virus companies are suggesting that you buy a Mac.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    David that barrow will need a new wheel bearing shortly.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    David that barrow will need a new wheel bearing shortly.

0 of 71 vulnerabilities are unpatched in OSX

28 of 143 vulnerabilities are unpatched in XP Pro, the worst being highly critical

I think the choice is easy.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    Either will do just fine
    Gouri wrote:
    I'd like to buy a desktop dedicated for digital imaging. My dilemma - MAC or PC headscratch.gif

Being a known Wintel zealot (hi David! iloveyou.gif :-), I can honestly say that in your case (I mean, being kinda new, etc.) it does not matter.

Canon or Nikon, PC or Mac, they all will allow you to take pictures and process them. And on this forum you'll get plenty of advisors for both platforms.

So just pick one and start processing... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Being a known Wintel zealot (hi David! iloveyou.gif :-), I can honestly say that in your case (I mean, being kinda new, etc.) it does not matter.

Being a MacAddict, I already said the same thing, in my first post!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    If mac was better than PC then they would be more poplular...which they are not.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    If mac was better than PC then they would be more poplular...which they are not.

Gus, come on, you're smarter than that, and can surely come up with something more convincing than that argument.

As for the barrow, I give you:

ostrich.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    I came to this crossroad a while back & begged for mac users to give me reasons as to why i should buy mac.

No one could tell me why i should get a mac...if they had just given me one good reason to spend more money then i would be on a mac right this very minuite but there was no reason that was shown to me at the time.

Sure i was given reasons like.

1/ we will think your cool
    2/ you can now wear turtle necks :uhoh
    3/ braging rights at parties
    4/ mac users save more whales

I just needed a good reason like

1/ it will be faster
    2/ it will be a more universal machine
    3/ it will have better colour/tones/etc etc
    4/ your cat will love you more

...and the cosmic ballet goes on.

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited July 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

Apple is offering Windows for the new Intel Macs, that should allow most folks an equal opportunity for running any type of software you choose, and an equal opportunity to acquire any type of malware "they" choose. ("They" being all the bad people, dirty rotten SOBs, in the world who write the malware.:gun2)

http://www.apple.com/getamac/windows.html

I surely wish Amiga computers were more popular. Now those were the days!

I run several computers for imaging and video work, all Windows based, and none of them are "online". I prefer using a seperate computer for all my Internet work, so it's the only one seriously exposed to the risks of the Internet.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I just needed a good reason like .... your cat will love you more
    If only you'd told us you had a cat. You had us wasting our time thrashing the whales angle!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    If only you'd told us you had a cat. You had us wasting our time thrashing the whales angle!
    He was my financier & did ask to remain a silent party in the whole torrid affair.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I came to this crossroad a while back & begged for mac users to give me reasons as to why i should buy mac.

Gus, every GOOD reason we gave you, you shot down. Like malware and viruses. You said you never had a problem with them. Ease of use, less maintenance, you said you don't do a damn thing to maintain your PC and it's fine.

I think it really came down to you've got a certain way of computing and the PC fits you just fine. Also, the whole running Windows on a Mac was not an option back then.

Anyway, you probably made the right decision for you, but you'll never know, will you? mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    And I definitely appreciated that
    DavidTO wrote:
    Being a MacAddict, I already said the same thing, in my first post!
    Hence wanted to show the support from the oppo... different camp...mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    It is widely expected that Apple's new generation of (Intel-based) pro desktop computers could be announced on the morning of Monday 7 August.
    Possibly related.... Intel is also about to release the Core 2 Duo. Benchmarks have shown these chips blowing away pretty much anything out right now (desktop-wise). This should drive prices down across the board for any older system.

If I was going to buy a PC, I would wait and get the fastest Core 2 Duo I can afford (with the best graphics card in budget).

Even with Core 2 Duo chips, Macs are slightly hampered until Photoshop CS3 comes out. For the next 6 months or so, the Windows systems will win out for performance. The difference isn't huge, but can add up over time.

Gouri, if you are familiar with PCs and don't suffer from virus/spyware/rootkits infestations, then stick with a PC. Macs are still flying under the radar, so if this stuff concerns you, then get a Mac.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Just ran through all the replies. Now I know why the MAC or PC dilemma continues.....:D

I guess it’s more of a personal preference. So Yes, I’ll just pick one and start processing. Shall look into Dell and MAC. Ziggy53, thanx for the link - I'm now drawn to the G5.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    Some of the best advice may be from those whom have switched.

Andy, gubbs, wxwax, davev, jmatthew to name a few...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    The only logic behind that is to increase the market share of the Apple platform in hopes of eventually selling Apple users anti-virus software that no doubt would be needed if mac's gained a large enough share of the market. It's pretty logical to see that malware creators want to reach the largest audience and do as much damage as possible with the children they spawn, aiming at a small % of the population makes no sense. Paranoias aside, it should also be pretty obvious that the same people that sell you anti-virus protection are also linked to those that develope it. It's symbiotic.

I've edited photos on both platforms for years and to be honest there's almost no performance edge to either platform for digital photography. Where Apple does have a large advantage is in the overall ease of use and stability of the operating system. That said, if you also plan to edit digital video then Apple has a massive advantage in terms of affordable high end software platforms (ie Final Cut) and the stability of the operating system. The later becomes even more critical as handling video files pushes the systems much harder than even the largest photo editing process. Having produced and edited several multi hour video projects I'll never touch a windows box again if given the choice.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    I guess we know what I'll be doing that day lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    truth wrote:
    The only logic behind that is to increase the market share of the Apple platform in hopes of eventually selling Apple users anti-virus software that no doubt would be needed if mac's gained a large enough share of the market.

That seems like a long walk to a small house.

And highly unlikely, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Some of the best advice may be from those whom have switched.

Andy, gubbs, wxwax, davev, jmatthew to name a few...

And if that aint the most biased speel of reteric you have ever encountered on the net Gouri ...i'll eat my hat. Sort of like...i know 5 people that eat haggis...so you probably should like it also.

Im currently trying to locate a list of people in the world that happily use PC but first must find 458957 tetrabit of storage to hold the list.
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2006
    gus wrote:
    And if that aint the most biased speel of reteric you have ever encountered on the net Gouri ...i'll eat my hat. Sort of like...i know 5 people that eat haggis...so you probably should like it also.

Im currently trying to locate a list of people in the world that happily use PC but first must find 458957 tetrabit of storage to hold the list.

Hey, they'd be less biased than you or me, Gus, since they've actually used both systems. That's something neither of us can say.
    Moderator Emeritus