Options

Morning Reflections

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited August 3, 2006 in Wildlife
Hi Y'all,

In the mornings while the rest of the house is asleep I like to get down to the wetlands and get some shooting in.

83124209-O.jpg

83124213-O.jpg

83124476-O.jpg

83124470-O.jpg

83124474-O.jpg

83124472-O.jpg
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 27, 2006
    That last one's a trip. Cool series.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    All in a day's work, right Harry? Amazing shots!!! I wish I had that first one to enter in the challenge! :D The last one is a trip, like Truth said. I keep staring at it trying to figure out how you got it. eek7.gif
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Nice series of shots Harry. thumb.gif It's been really slow down here of late. Only a couple osprey and ibis in the backyard. umph.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Too bad.....
    too bad you don't enter the challenges -- that first one would be a great entry!

How did you get that last shot -- you didn't photoshop that did you?:):

I also like the wood storks with the ibis... weird (in a nice way)...
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Geeze Louise ... and I was expecting something like a prayer by the title you posted ... once again, all I have is praise. ('cept I'd crop out the reflection of the green body in the first ... just inverse birds) ... the last shot is completely wonderful, awesome, incredible, et cetera. It is like a weird dream. I wish I had taken that last shot. Tonight I shall toast you (wine or beer?).

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    Alaska shutterbugAlaska shutterbug Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    ('cept I'd crop out the reflection of the green body in the first ... just inverse birds) Gary

I agree, I'd crop out the bottom on first. The last one I had to look at for a long time. Great job.

It looks like you don't do this for business or charge upcharge on your site, do you have many people buying your prints?
  • Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Awesome!eek7.gif

I love the wood stork.
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    really loved 1st and last
    eek7.gifclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    dallasdallas Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    I agree, with the reflection gone from the Glossy, I think it is a masterpiece. All are outstanding samples of your photographic skills especially the last, and you're going to run out of wall space soon with all these excellent pictures. thumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    truth wrote:
    That last one's a trip. Cool series.

Thank you very much. i am kind of happy with the last shot.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Beautiful Shots Harry, love that 1st one thumb.gif
  • Options
    BIG BROTHERBIG BROTHER Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Harry, that is one beautiful series of photos clap.gifclap.gif

I keep looking at the last shot "how in the world"

_______

Jim
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    All in a day's work, right Harry? Amazing shots!!! I wish I had that first one to enter in the challenge! :D The last one is a trip, like Truth said. I keep staring at it trying to figure out how you got it. eek7.gif

Thanks Susan.

That last shot was exciting for me. I had just finished viewing the first four DVD's of Ron Reznick and I've been trying to apply some his stuff to my shooting. I saw the group of wood storks standing in the water with some real nice reflections but my eye was caught by the cloud reflections in frame right.

I had noticed that egrets had been flying in and out of the area. When they flew in they came from frame right. I thought it might be cool if I could catch an egret coming out of the cloud's reflection towards the storks. I took a couple of test shots to get the exposure right, set my focusing reticule to the right of center reticule, and waited. A number of egrets flew in but never at the right angle. One came in right but I couldn't get the focus locked until he was mid frame so I dumped that one. Finally a snowy came in just right and I nailed it.

I still think I blew the WB a bit, its a tad too cool. I was happy with the comp and to have had the shot pretty much come out the way I had envisioned it before I let go of the shutter release.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    Nice series of shots Harry. thumb.gif It's been really slow down here of late. Only a couple osprey and ibis in the backyard. umph.gif

Thanks Mike. Its not all that busy here but the wetlands consistantly provide some photo ops each day. If your backyard is too slow you might have to consider moving. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    What can I say? ne_nau.gif

I guess I'll go with.....special.

83124474-M.jpg

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    too bad you don't enter the challenges -- that first one would be a great entry!

How did you get that last shot -- you didn't photoshop that did you?:):

I also like the wood storks with the ibis... weird (in a nice way)...

Thanks Dee. Fortunately the first shot was taken out of the challenge period so I won't be tempted to enter it. :D

The last shot was as it was and not photoshopped. I told the story of that shot in my response to Susan a few posts above this.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    Seefutlung wrote:
    Geeze Louise ... and I was expecting something like a prayer by the title you posted ... once again, all I have is praise. ('cept I'd crop out the reflection of the green body in the first ... just inverse birds) ... the last shot is completely wonderful, awesome, incredible, et cetera. It is like a weird dream. I wish I had taken that last shot. Tonight I shall toast you (wine or beer?).

Gary

Thank you very much Gary. There was something bothering me about the first shot and you nailed it. clap.gif

Here's the recropped version

84421611-O.jpg

BTW beer beer.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    well they look good again :D now you are going to have to tell how the bird flys by water headscratch.gifne_nau.gifeek7.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited July 27, 2006
    Very lovely set of images, Harry.

That morning light was really sweet, wasn't it? Especially #3 and #5thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thank you very much Gary. There was something bothering me about the first shot and you nailed it. clap.gif

Here's the recropped version

84421611-O.jpg

BTW beer beer.gif

Oh yeah! That's it! This is perfect for the contrast challenge. But, glad you won't be tempted. You're beyond that foolishness.

These are all so wonderful. The water was like a mirror. What a morning that must have been! My real favorite is the last one. It sure had me studying it. That's what I like in a photo, that it makes me look real hard. I love the story of how you got it. The details of how you invisioned it make it that much better. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Snappy
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Nice calm water, Harry! Love how you took advantage of it. And I do like that planned shot with the snowy.

excellent set. (You kept most of the woodstorks!)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    I agree, I'd crop out the bottom on first. The last one I had to look at for a long time. Great job.

It looks like you don't do this for business or charge upcharge on your site, do you have many people buying your prints?

Thanks Kim, I've cropped the first shot and y'all were right about losing the reflection. I think its a big improvement.

Every once in awhile someone wants to buy one of the shots and I try to accomodate them but I try very hard to discourage that kind of behavior. I'm recently retired after having worked most of my 59+ years. I got into photography to escape from the world or work. If I started to sell my stuff then photography would become a job and it would kill it for me.

Last year I took a class from a "successful" local pro on how to market one's shots. The pro shot for 13 weeks out of the year and then sold his stuff from the 13 weeks for 39 weeks. My plan is to shoot for 52 weeks out of the year.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    Nappalonia wrote:
    Awesome!eek7.gif

I love the wood stork.

Thank you very much
    Harry
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    Once again, Great Stuff Harry ... too bad you're not in the Golden State ... love to shoot with you (even though I don't do much, if any, nature).

Last night I had a Black & Tan in your honor!

PS- Glad that crop worked out ... sometimes I get lucky with my remarks.

-G-
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    really loved 1st and last
    eek7.gifclap.gif

Thanks Awais wave.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2006
    83124213-O.jpg

is a great image IMHO!

troy
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    dallas wrote:
    I agree, with the reflection gone from the Glossy, I think it is a masterpiece. All are outstanding samples of your photographic skills especially the last, and you're going to run out of wall space soon with all these excellent pictures. thumb.gifthumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks a lot William. We are baout to start hanging some shots in tghe family room. A couple of these may make the cut. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    Beautiful Shots Harry, love that 1st one thumb.gif

Thanks Ed, Glad you enjoyed them.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Harry, that is one beautiful series of photos clap.gifclap.gif

I keep looking at the last shot "how in the world"

_______

Jim

Thanks Jim. My response to Susan explains the "how" of the last shot.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    What can I say? ne_nau.gif

I guess I'll go with.....special.

83124474-M.jpg

thumb.gif

Thanks much Ric. Glad you liked it.
    Harry