Options

MAC or PC for digital imaging and WHY?

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    thebigsky wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifOh, I'm not upset, it takes more than an anonymous forum pedant to cause me umbrage, however I can never resist a bout of sarcasm.

:lol BWG the anonymous forum pedant moderator lol3.gif

Lee, I think we found you a new title thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 25, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    :lol BWG the anonymous forum pedant moderator lol3.gif

Lee, I think we found you a new title thumb.gif
    yeah, me and my 2000+ posts of complete drivel.

i guess it's time to fire up the 'annoyingly pedantic' title again.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Wow, you sure talk fancy!

One tries one's best, extraordinary considering my alleged inability to read correctly. mwink.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    it is foolhardy to run a PC without anti-viral software.
    Heh heh, I guess David just called me a fool. :D

I don't run Anti-Viral software on my own PCs, it slows them down. I've never had a virus on any of my systems... It *is* possible to do this, but it requires significantly more knowledge for a PC than a Mac.

All of my users run both a spy sweeper and an anti-viral solution. Yep, I'm hypocritical and don't trust them.

Right now, if security is your biggest concern, buy a Mac; if price is your biggest concern, buy a PC... performance is negligible, with a slight edge to the PC. Usability is negligible, with a slight edge to the Mac (It's definitely prettier than XP).
    Chris
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:

I don't run Anti-Viral software on my own PCs, it slows them down. I've never had a virus on any of my systems... It *is* possible to do this, but it requires signicantly more knowledge for a PC than a Mac.

All of my users run both a spy sweeper and an anti-viral solution. Yep, I'm hypocritical and don't trust them.

Right now, if security is your biggest concern, buy a Mac; if price is your biggest concern, buy a PC... performance is negligible, with a slight edge to the PC. Usability is negligible, with a slight edge to the Mac (It's definitely prettier than XP).

I'm pretty much on the same bandwagon as you are: if you know what you're doing (and, most importantly, know what not to do), viruses are just a bed-time scary stories. None of my PCs run AV, and yet no problem.

I also second the rest of your submission, with a small addition software-wise: if you're happy with what Apple and a handful of Apple-cognitive companies (including Adobe) provide - go Mac. However, if you need something else and if you dare and are ready to choose from near unlimited capabilities of wintel-based software ocean (careful, thar be dragons, but there are be Fair Pricesses, too)... well, you got my drift!:):
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:

Ah, t'was just a typo. I meant to say "hardly a fool". :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm pretty much on the same bandwagon as you are: if you know what you're doing (and, most importantly, know what not to do), viruses are just a bed-time scary stories. None of my PCs run AV, and yet no problem.

I also second the rest of your submission, with a small addition software-wise: if you're happy with what Apple and a handful of Apple-cognitive companies (including Adobe) provide - go Mac. However, if you need something else and if you dare and are ready to choose from near unlimited capabilities of wintel-based software ocean (careful, thar be dragons, but there are be Fair Pricesses, too)... well, you got my drift!:):
    Funny think Nik. Before I made the leap to the mac, I also assumed that there would be so much more freeware, shareware, etc out there for the PC that the Mac would pretty much be good only for photoshop and stuff like that. But from what I've found, there is at least as much good quality useful freeware, shareware, etc for the Mac as for the PC. The stuff that I've found for the Mac is actually much more polished and more useful (for the most part) than what you would find for the PC.

My point is that there seems to be several memes out there and the whole "there isn't any useful software besides what Adobe has to offer" for the Mac. That just isn't so.

• Options
    edited July 25, 2006
    Interesting, Mike!
    Mike Lane wrote:
    My point is that there seems to be several meme's out there and the whole "there isn't any useful software besides what Adobe has to offer" for the Mac. That just isn't so.

Thanks for the info! Appreciate it! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks for the info! Appreciate it! thumb.gif

Yeah, I think the difference is that now OS X actually has a command shell. People have a much more flexible way of developing applications, so more applications are developed.

It was probably possible to write stuff before, but OS X has definitely lured a lot of computer geeks to try it out.

I'm much more comfortable scripting in bash than I ever was with the Windows command prompt.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2006
    It might be a very nerdy OT, but
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I'm much more comfortable scripting in bash than I ever was with the Windows command prompt.

VBScript and JavaScript have been around for quite a while, and you can do pretty much everything with either of them...ne_nau.gif I'm still using command shell for some simplistic stuff (shows my age, I know), but for the advanced one, if I'm too lazy to launch Delphi of C#, I can do a lot in one vbs or js unit:-)

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    gus wrote:
    If mac was better than PC then they would be more poplular...which they are not.
    I guess this is why there are so many more Mercedes, BMW and Porsche over GM?

Jamie
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    oh geez, let's not start the whole "popular" thing. we all know plenty of instances in which "popular" is in direct opposition to "quality." popularity or not has nothing to do with the question of a particular tool being right for a particular person to do a particular job.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:

Intel Conroe dual-core E6XXX, 4GB DDR2, a couple SATA II drives, two 20.1" Samsung monitors, Win XP home, etc etc etc

... I figure my net cost to easily be under $1000 ...
    :D

Wow! Sounds too good to be true...how do you get all of that for less than $1000. The monitors alone would run that much.

Please advice...I'm interested! deal.gif
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    JamieC wrote:
    I guess this is why there are so many more Mercedes, BMW and Porsche over GM?

Jamie
    eek7.gif Thats just plain odd but i will leave it with you...its yours.

I seriuosly couldnt give a fat rats bum what someone buys several thousand miles away from me whom i dont know & probably never will...i just love poking sticks into davids cage & seeing how many bells i can set ringing amongst the rest of you. Sorry to those that thought i actually cared what they use 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    Im about to have a glass of red cordial...who says green is better ?
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    gus wrote:
    eek7.gif Thats just plain odd but i will leave it with you...its yours.
    Its not odd, its entirely accurate. You seem to have bought into the lie that "the best product wins in the market". Have any idea how many cases can be shown where that is not what happens? Your point that if Macs were better they'd be more popular holds no water whatsoever.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    Its not odd, its entirely accurate. You seem to have bought into the lie that "the best product wins in the market". Have any idea how many cases can be shown where that is not what happens? Your point that if Macs were better they'd be more popular holds no water whatsoever.
    Hows those new merc's & BM's 'eh ? You know the ones with the GM donks & running gear ? Yeh...mac can hold its own anywhere allright :uhoh
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited August 1, 2006
    "It just works?"
    "It just works?"

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6100426.html

(Sorry, I just couldn't let this slide. :D)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    "It is going on 96 hours for me. Completely Unacceptable," wrote a user named BK Broiler in a post to the discussion board.
    lol3.gif

Anyhow, we all have seen how many people can think the world is going to collapse if they can't get a tiny fraction of their service (I am of course referring to the Great Smugmug Stats Outage of 2006). I bet you there are tons of people who are L-I-V-I-D. I'm guessing there have been letters written to congressmen over this too.

It's an odd world we live in.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol3.gif

Anyhow, we all have seen how many people can think the world is going to collapse if they can't get a tiny fraction of their service (I am of course referring to the Great Smugmug Stats Outage of 2006). I bet you there are tons of people who are L-I-V-I-D. I'm guessing there have been letters written to congressmen over this too.

OMG this is teh funnay! UR teh r0x0rz Laughing.gifZ!!!11!!11!!!11!!!11111

(I have no idea what I just posted.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    lol3.gif

lol3.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    "It just works?"

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-6100426.html

(Sorry, I just couldn't let this slide. :D)

ziggy53
    :haha :lol4

Gee, I guess Apple & their products are just as susceptible to failures as the competition. Who would have guessed? So much for that ultra-smug ad campaign. I'm trying, but I just can't seem to muster up any sympathy.

Thanks for the link, ziggy.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    I, too, dislike that smug campaign. I think it mirrors the attitude of many current Mac users, not sure it's winning over any converts, though.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    yeah, it seems like an ill advised ad campaign. not to mention the fact that some of it is just plain untrue. Like the out of the box one. I didn't have to do any more to a PC when I got it home than I had to do to my Mac (or any less for that matter).

• Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    Glad to hear I'm not alone on that; you guys just expressed my exact feelings on it. One of the most foolish campaigns I've ever seen.

I find it especailly galling with the two spots implying PCs cannot connect to digital cameras or do imaging (the Japanese girl & the pie chart ones)...when I'm sitting here doing exactly that with my PC. rolleyes1.gif They succeeded in eliminating themselves from any shopping list I might ever have.

Now, before the flamethrowers come out, I have nothing personal against Macs--it's a tool & is a perfectly good choice. It's the ad campaign attitude and that of many fanboy users (eerily the same) that bugs the heck out of me.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    I agree with y'all about the campaign. I do think that it will alienate a lot of potential customers and that it does contain misinformation, or at least packages information in a misleading way. But, I also think that the large, unwashed masses of computer users may buy into it. Those that don't know what about the ads are misleading. And I do have to say, "shame on you, Apple," for being misleading about it.

I also have to admit to liking the one where the guy has a cold, and says, "I gotta crash."

As for the camera one, well, I would hazard a guess that Apple does have the edge on out of the box ease of use with a multitude of cameras...but that doesn't make the ad any more right. It's still misleading.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    Glad to hear I'm not alone on that; you guys just expressed my exact feelings on it. One of the most foolish campaigns I've ever seen.

I find it especailly galling with the two spots implying PCs cannot connect to digital cameras or do imaging (the Japanese girl & the pie chart ones)...when I'm sitting here doing exactly that with my PC. rolleyes1.gif They succeeded in eliminating themselves from any shopping list I might ever have.

Now, before the flamethrowers come out, I have nothing personal against Macs--it's a tool & is a perfectly good choice. It's the ad campaign attitude and that of many fanboy users (eerily the same) that bugs the heck out of me.

As a current user of both PC and Mac, I can say that there are some neat things that you're missing out on but you're going to be able to get everything you want to get out of either machine. The user experience with XP is not nearly as good as OS X, there's no debating that. Plus since you can run both windows and OS X (and plenty of other operating systems too) on a Mac, There is a clear advantage to having a Mac IMHO.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't rule something out becuase of commercials or (over?) enthusiastic users. When it comes time to get your next computer, put them all to a hands on test to see if you like what you see. Also maybe check out http://del.icio.us/popular/osx to see what kind of cool goodies you can get for the mac (shareware and such).

Just saying.

• Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 3, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I agree with y'all about the campaign. I do think that it will alienate a lot of potential customers and that it does contain misinformation, or at least packages information in a misleading way. But, I also think that the large, unwashed masses of computer users may buy into it. Those that don't know what about the ads are misleading. And I do have to say, "shame on you, Apple," for being misleading about it.

I also have to admit to liking the one where the guy has a cold, and says, "I gotta crash."

As for the camera one, well, I would hazard a guess that Apple does have the edge on out of the box ease of use with a multitude of cameras...but that doesn't make the ad any more right. It's still misleading.
    gulp.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/08/20060802171851.shtml
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2006
    I generally don't rule anyone out when looking into products, but I find this ad campaign so offensive and irresponsible I just won't consider their products any more. It takes a lot to get me that offended, but they actually managed it.

I'm so deep into the PC side of the computer world, I really can't consider switching any more. Kind of like once you have several thousand dollars tied up in one brand's lenses, it just doesn't make sense to buy the competitor's new body. I have been on the other side of the fence & realize the grass is green on either side.

Oh, and my apologies for dragging this thread OT.
  • Options
    GouriGouri Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    I'm buying the iMac, 20-inch, 2GHz Intel Core Duo - Any additional comment/suggestions?

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Geneva, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Specifications[/FONT]spacer.gif
    • 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    • 500GB Serial ATA drive
    • ATI Radeon X1600/256MB VRAM
    • SuperDrive 8x (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    • iWork '06 preinstalled
    • Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • Accessory kit
    • AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac - Auto-enroll
    • 20-inch widescreen LCD
    • 2GHz Intel Core Duo
    • AirPort Extreme
      Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    • All iMac models also feature: three USB 2.0 ports, two FireWire 400 ports, built-in AirPort Extreme wireless networking, Gigabit Ethernet, mini-DVI video out, built-in stereo speakers, a built-in microphone, and audio in/out jacks.
    • Cost ~ $2,300