Options

Leaking news about Canon 400D

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Cameras
...and 50mm f/1.2L:
http://www.patyuen.com/digital/400dleak.htm

Rumor has it has been on Canon site shortly, but peing pulled off...
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Looks like I was right
    "after another shooting portrait photographs weapon" gotta love the chinese translation.

On the lenses looks like my sources were correct...I knew they were

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40663

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Don't forget the new 70-200 f/4L IS USM rumors deal.gif

EDIT: Apparently Engadget thinks this will be a FF camera whereas Nik's site says it'll be an APS-C. Gotta love rumors :D I'm really excited about the dust removal system though.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Don't forget the new 70-200 f/4L IS USM rumors deal.gif

EDIT: Apparently Engadget thinks this will be a FF camera whereas Nik's site says it'll be an APS-C. Gotta love rumors :D I'm really excited about the dust removal system though.
    These is no WAY this is FF, as it is pictured with a EF-S lens, EF-S image circle will not cover FF, engaget has it wrong, this will be a more pixel packed APS-C sized sensor. We won't see a sub 1000 dollar (rebel price threshold) possibly ever but certainly not for a few years.

Maybe I can state this more clearly (and dramatically) If this 400D is FF I will switch to Nikon out of spite and because Canon asked the owner of EVERY 30D (and 20D for that matter) to docalisthenics which involve grabbing their ankles.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Im excited. I have an XT and would upgrade. I dont really like the feel of the 20/30d's. I hope it isnt a rumor.
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    SpeshulEdSpeshulEd Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    if this is FF, I know what my backup camera will be.
    bored? check out my photo site...and if you have the time, leave a comment or rate some pictures while you're there.
    Canon 20D | Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM | Tamron 28-75 f2.8 XR Di LD IF | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2006
    PhotoKina confirms:-)
    http://www.photokina-show.com/0131/c.../canoneos400d/

Same stuff, though...
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Actually, Nik, this is not the official Photokina site, but the Let's Go Digital Photokina news site. They're rehashing the Engadget rumor, but state it to have a 1.6 crop factor. You can find a copy of the Canon China site at Bob Atkins.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    www.steves-digicams.com is also reporting the introduction of the new rebel XTI today.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    I dont care what they do but i sure hope they are putting the ISO up in the view finder as well as the usual place. Im forever shooting in the wrong ISO in changing conditons because i keep forgetting to look but i read my viewfinder info always.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    gus wrote:
    I dont care what they do but i sure hope they are putting the ISO up in the view finder as well as the usual place. Im forever shooting in the wrong ISO in changing conditons because i keep forgetting to look but i read my viewfinder info always.

Lord Gus glad it isn't just me. ISO in viewfinder PLEASE!
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    I can't read this as I don't have (want) flash, but have it on good authority that this is the official blurb:

http://www.canon-europe.com/eos400d/
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    BigAl wrote:
    I can't read this as I don't have (want) flash, but have it on good authority that this is the official blurb:

http://www.canon-europe.com/eos400d/
    Al,

the site you listed appears to be owned by a private individual, mirroring information from:

http://www.canon.nl/eos400d/index.asp

and possibly other sites.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited August 24, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Al,

the site you listed appears to be owned by a private individual, mirroring information from:

Canon UK is also showing:

http://www.canon.co.uk/eos400d/index.asp

WooHoo, looks like the real deal! On the other hand, let's see what the reviewers and testers have to say. I'm still disappointed that there is no ISO 3200.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    andy nailed the 50mm rumor on the head back on may 23rd. . . 2005. he may have been a little off with his price estimate, but still, as he said "you heard it hear first, folks." (nice typo andy):D
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Rob Galbraith's link is saying the estimated price for the 70-200/4 IS ($1250) will be ~$100 more than the 2.8 non-IS model and more than twice the price of the non-IS f/4 version (going by current B&H pricing of $585). Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Can we assume the price will fall a bit after a year or so? I would also venture a guess that the 40D (whenever it comes out) will be at least 10 MP and have the anti-dust system of the 400D. There, I said it first. :D
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Rob Galbraith's link is saying the estimated price for the 70-200/4 IS ($1250) will be ~$100 more than the 2.8 non-IS model and more than twice the price of the non-IS f/4 version (going by current B&H pricing of $585). Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Can we assume the price will fall a bit after a year or so? I would also venture a guess that the 40D (whenever it comes out) will be at least 10 MP and have the anti-dust system of the 400D. There, I said it first. :D

I would think it will be sold eventually at around $1100. There's a $500 difference between the IS and non-IS 2.8 model.

Why would there be a 40D? If anything another 1ds model will be released with better ISO and higher MP.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Reuters story on the new Rrbel XTi. Funny that it's not on DPReview's front page.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    Why would there be a 40D?
    In 18 months there will be.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Al,

Ziggy, (although this is now outdated), I got the link from the manager of Canon SA...
  • Options
    WanderlustWanderlust Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    For the digitally unlearned like myself.

Is the Digital Rebel XTi just released on the Canon US site the same camera as the Canon EOS 400D just released on the UK site? I don't see the infrared info regarding for the XTi as I do for the 400D. Otherwise looks the same I think.

Anyone seen an official MRSP yet?
    :rambo "An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will eat him last." Churchill ... WWII
  • Options
    WanderlustWanderlust Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Found my own answer. Have a look. Why is it cheaper than the 30D and the 20D? There must be something I'm missing.

http://paulmwatson.com/journal/2006/08/25/canons-400d-digital-slr-camera/
    :rambo "An appeaser is someone who feeds the crocodile hoping he will eat him last." Churchill ... WWII
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    For some good entertainment, head over to the Canon forum on FM. There's a looooong thread each on the 400D, 50/1.2, and 70-200/4IS. I just looked throught part of the 50/1.2 thread (only one of the three I'm actually interested in)...proof you can't make some people happy. This exact lens has been begged for over there for more than a year, here it is & what do some of them do? Whine about the preliminary price, or if not that then about the MTF charts published. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    My 2 cent
    Wanderlust wrote:
    Why is it cheaper than the 30D and the 20D? There must be something I'm missing.
    http://paulmwatson.com/journal/2006/08/25/canons-400d-digital-slr-camera/

I'm speculating why it can be cheaper:
    1. No wheel (which is huge drawback to me)
    2. Probably a plastic body
    3. No extra LCD
    I also like his closing line:
    "if you have to ask yourself “400D vs. 30D” then 90% of you should get the 400D. Those that a 30D suits know already" :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    The 400/XTi is cheaper because it is the entry level camera for Canon. Don't confuse features with cost. Cost is a small function of price, price is used to signal the customer how to value things, not what they cost. So having some great new features, some that are 'better' than the 30D, doesnt mean it has to be more expensive. The 350/XT before it had similar specs to the 20D as well. However, the XT family is physically smaller, and is missing a few key features valued by those that buy a 20D/30D: pc connector, rgb histogram, spot meter, sturdier build, top lcd, etc etc

I am very sure that in the fullness of time this will be clear. I fully expect updates to other cameras in the canon family, especially the 20D/30D line as well (not sure why they cant do a 30Ds or a 35D), plus it would not surprise me to see some new pro models as well. Be patient, buy the camera that suits your needs.

What Nikolai said:
    I also like his closing line:
    "if you have to ask yourself “400D vs. 30D” then 90% of you should get the 400D. Those that a 30D suits know already" :D
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm speculating why it can be cheaper:
    1. No wheel (which is huge drawback to me)
    2. Probably a plastic body
    3. No extra LCD

Which wheel is missing? It has the same finger wheel by the shutter as the current XT/350D. I use that wheel all the time because it's much faster than clicking buttons.

The body is plastic, yes.

Lack of an extra LCD can't be a reason for the lower price, because the current XT/350D does have an extra LCD, but it's on the back, conveniently next to the main LCD, instead of on a completely different side of the camera (the top). There is no "extra LCD" on the 400D because they are merging its display with the now much larger main display of the 400D - all data visible in one display, not split across two.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Which wheel is missing? It has the same finger wheel by the shutter as the current XT/350D. I use that wheel all the time because it's much faster than clicking buttons.
    The wheel on the back by the LCD. Having tested out a rebel I can say I would never get it because of the lack of that wheel. It's just so easy when I'm in Manual to adjust the aperture with my thumbwheel and my shutter with my finger wheel.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    Colourbox,
    colourbox wrote:

The big huge "thumb" wheel on the back of the camera. It's VERY handy.

This is an image from dpreview (for ref.purposes only!)

flip-30d.jpg

colourbox wrote:
    There is no "extra LCD" on the 400D because they are merging its display with the now much larger main display of the 400D - all data visible in one display, not split across two.
    Well, that's great. thumb.gif
    I'm not sure if this is OK with the battery (smaller b/w lcd needs far less juice than a big color one), but it's definitely a handy feature!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2006
    colourbox wrote:
    Control Dial on the 30 vs the buttons arranged on the 350. The 350 has things in menus, the 30D has them in a list, much faster and convenient to frequent changes.
    The body is plastic, yes.

Lack of an extra LCD can't be a reason for the lower price, because the current XT/350D does have an extra LCD, but it's on the back, conveniently next to the main LCD, instead of on a completely different side of the camera (the top). There is no "extra LCD" on the 400D because they are merging its display with the now much larger main display of the 400D - all data visible in one display, not split across two.
    It isnt the LCD itself, but how it works and the use: the 30D's LCD can be turned off, and doesnt interfere with the viewfinder. On the 350, the LCD lights whenever you adjust a setting (like ISO, or whitebalance), making it harder to see in the viewfinder, esp at night. The 30D has these key items at the top, away from the viewfinder. Simply a preference, but one voiced by lots of users, as you can see from the inclusion of a feature in the 400D/XTi that turns off the back LCD when you look in the viewfinder, a rather elegant solution.