Options

What do you Hope Smugmug is working on???

dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
The Feature Request thread has a list in the first post of requested features (some of which have been long standing)

Smugmug is wonderful at adding features to their site often, but they won't tell us what they are working on right now (for business reasons).

What do you Hope they are working on... come on, join in, this could be fun! Pick your top 2.
  1. Coupons
  2. Packages
  3. Virtual Galleries
  4. Enhance Journal viewing style
  5. Make smugmug XL
  6. Pricing by Category and Subcategory
  7. Better Uploader
  8. Community personalization
  9. Template or gallery tools for a whole category or subcat
  10. Keyword GUI mods: check similar, etc
  11. Allow pro branding in the cart
  12. Allow meta-tag customization
  13. Allow /popular results to show to site owner
  14. Parse/error check for HTML (like missing </div> etc like HTML Tidy
  15. Add Bulk Zoom Thumb as a SmugMug Feature
  16. Homepage Slideshow
  17. Paypal Integration
  18. Owner access originals when logged in.
  19. Better exif (lose the popup)
  20. Add exif link to the share.mg page
  21. Auto-rotate based on Exif, be a user settable toggle
  22. DITCH "negative" and make a COOLING filter.
  23. Filenames in the shopping cart
  24. Message notification of invite to community
  25. Bulk Geo-tagging
  26. Add calendars, cards, photobooks, multi-image items, panorama prints
  27. More video support other than MPG-1
  28. Improve the GUI for arranging galleries
  29. Add Gallery Name to Password prompt screen
  30. Pro's pricing - ajax the pricing allow buyers to see before going to cart
  31. set expiration for pricing, and/or password in a gallery
  32. set default gallery style (starting gallery style, but leave viewer contolled ON)
  33. Category, subcategory passwording
  34. Search in private and or passworded galleries
  35. Make all of smugsearch customizable and theme-able
  36. Comments control panel
  37. Comments page for public consumption (cross-gallery)
  38. Add B&W as an option in the shopping cart.
If you don't see your favorite request listed here, make sure it is somewhere in the Feature request thread!

Comments

• Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    virtual galleries, Journal options
    My vote is for #3 (virtual galleries) and #4 (more features in the Journal style) -- easy ones! thumb.gif
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    27. More video support other than MPG-1!!!

7. Better Uploader (FTP UPLOAD!!!)
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    28. Improve the GUI for arranging galleries

If this includes a tree-level view of your entire site - if not, then I'll add that on the end!
  • Options
    sitsit Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    Better access control and private search
    dmc wrote:
    • Category, subcategory passwording
    • Search in private and or passworded galleries
    I'll vote for these two.

Relatedly, here's one proposal I made to support a few weeks ago about enhancing sharegroups navigation that would increase access control flexibility, much like category/subcategory passwording:
    me wrote:
    I send someone a link to a sharegroup. When they click on it, they are redirected to my homepage, possibly with a custom set of feature galleries. Just like any anonymous user browsing my site, they can view my public galleries. However, where there are private galleries that are listed in the sharegroup, they can view those too. Some UI element would indicate on the index view that these galleries are part of the sharegroup.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    A few of mine
    These are the main ones that Smugmug seems to be getting beat by Zenfolio on:
    • Faster gallery viewing (perhaps including pre-fetch)
    • Dynamic layout to use all of my window (more thumbs and larger main image), not hard-wired to a fixed width and fixed number of thumbs
    • Keyboard navigation of galleries - with the above items, this would let you whiz through a gallery very nicely
    • Faster/cooler slideshow
    • Virtual galleries or collections (I also need them to work in password protected galleries because I need them for kid sports photos that have to be password protected)
    These are a few of the nit features I wish Smugmug had:
    • Ability to opt-out of Google search indexing for public galleries
    • Ability to opt-out of the Smugmug browse function for public galleries
    • Ability to set the default viewing style for a gallery, but still allow the user to change it (e.g. start it in Journal, but let them change it to Smugmug if they want)
    • Ability to view original when logged in and originals are not enabled (I suggested putting View Original in the Photo Tools menu)
    • Improved EXIF display
    • More obvious "Save Photo" function (I think it should be a button, not a link since it's an action, not a view)
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    kevin.coppalottikevin.coppalotti Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    None of the OP 's list is crucial. I want speed, dynamic sizing which automatically fills the available screen and more speed. Did I mention it needs to be faster?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2006
    None of the OP 's list is crucial. I want speed, dynamic sizing which automatically fills the available screen and more speed. Did I mention it needs to be faster?
    Hi Kevin, I know this is a big issue for you. Have you noticed any speed difference in the past few days?

ear.gif
  • Options
    EdHEdH Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    More Speed
    I really hope Smugmug is working on improving the overall speed of the viewing experience. Browsing a gallery on Smugmug is painfully slow compared to Pbase and Zenfolio. I love the way my galleries look on my Smugmug page but browsing through photos is just not enjoyable when compared to the other sites. I'm a huge fan of Smugmug (I have a Power Account) but I've noticed that if I'm ever just browsing for pictures I'll go to Pbase and Zenfolio first because the speed is so much better.

All the other features would be great but I think its important to focus on the basic experience first and making things quicker would go a long way toward improving the Smugmug experience.
  • Options
    kagrusokagruso Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 1, 2006
    26 and 38 for me, but I'm just a basic user! :):
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Since this is for fun... why not enable the voting feature on this thread.
    Maybe make it so that everyone could vote for not one or two but all that they're interested in. Is it possible to rate them???
    Then the smugmug team could easily see how many want what the most thumb.gif

BTW: My main FR are in my sig... but there's so many in that list that I iloveyou.gif for.
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Search in private and or passworded galleries
    Speed of viewing (pre-fetch)
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    kagruso wrote:
    26 and 38 for me, but I'm just a basic user! :):

... and we love to hear from you! thumb.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    dbddbd Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Two More
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    ... and we love to hear from you! thumb.gif

-Anne

N. Panoramic prints
    N+1. Owner access to desampled digital download images

Dale B. Dalrymple
    dbdimages.com
    "Give me a lens long enough and a place to stand and I can image the earth."
    ...with apology to Archimedies
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Cindy, if you're talking about the polling feature, it's limited to 10 items.

I'd like to see smugmug implement something like the feature request voting being done for Gallery. I've never used it, but it looks well thought out. See

http://gallery.menalto.com/feature_vote_released
    http://gallery.menalto.com/sfvote_help
  • Options
    kevin.coppalottikevin.coppalotti Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Kevin, I know this is a big issue for you. Have you noticed any speed difference in the past few days?

ear.gif
    G'day Andy, yes it is faster, I checked with a stopwatch, it takes around 12 - 13 seconds to move from picture to picture when viewing in 'medium' size, which is faster than I was getting before. It used to take around 20 - 25 seconds to move from picture to picture. I am stuck on 128k ISDN in my remote area potting shed and am not likely ever to be able to get a DSL connection according to the local telecom technician.
    So congrats to smugmug the upgrade and reorganisation of servers seems to be working.
  • Options
    Luc De JaegerLuc De Jaeger Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    My hope
    I hope they are working on better statistics (unique visitors aside from the hits AND clicks per image besides the hits per gallery).

I also hope they are improving the exif data.

Luc
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Better statistics are available, Statcounter or Google Analytics. I've had stacounter running for a while & it's nice, though the freebie account is only the last 100 hits. I just added Analytics & there's so much there I'm overwhelmed right now.

Off that list, for me 11 & 28. With 28, definitely something with a treeview like Zenfolio; that's the most attractive aspect of their service missing here for me. Oh, and more than three layers.

Many items on the original list would be nice.
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    Okay, too many choices listed. Here are my top 3...
    1. Coupons
    2. Packages
    3. Pro's pricing - ajax the pricing allow buyers to see before going to cart
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited September 1, 2006
    Stats improvements that only Smugmug can provide
    Better statistics are available, Statcounter or Google Analytics. I've had stacounter running for a while & it's nice, though the freebie account is only the last 100 hits. I just added Analytics & there's so much there I'm overwhelmed right now.

Statcounter and Google Analytics give you lots of new stuff to look at. Some things they don't give you that only Smugmug can:
    • Better stats with a basic Smugmug plan (you can't use the third party options without at least a power user account)
    • Stats on who is direct linking to you (the third party options don't give you any data on this and can't due to the way they work). Useful when you want to see who is stealing from your or is consuming your bandwidth.
    • Stats on where your bandwidth is being consumed (the third party options don't have any ability to do this)
    • Stats on shopping cart conversion percentages (people who started to buy, but didn't finish). In any ecommerce business this is a closely watched stat.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2006
    For the Basic package, the ability to do a descending sort of stats by hits or MB's consumed.

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    Statcounter and Google Analytics give you lots of new stuff to look at. Some things they don't give you that only Smugmug can:
    • Better stats with a basic Smugmug plan (you can't use the third party options without at least a power user account)
    • Stats on who is direct linking to you (the third party options don't give you any data on this and can't due to the way they work). Useful when you want to see who is stealing from your or is consuming your bandwidth.
    • Stats on where your bandwidth is being consumed (the third party options don't have any ability to do this)
    • Stats on shopping cart conversion percentages (people who started to buy, but didn't finish). In any ecommerce business this is a closely watched stat.

Good points, though that last I think Analytics can handle. I'm playing with their goals setups & grabbed the shopping cart URLS when ordering myself a couple of prints. We'll see if I understand their setup right....
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2006
    Good points, though that last I think Analytics can handle. I'm playing with their goals setups & grabbed the shopping cart URLS when ordering myself a couple of prints. We'll see if I understand their setup right....

Let me know if you can track shopping cart stuff. Since the shopping cart is not customizable or brandable, I don't think services like statcounter and google analytics are present in those pages, thus I don't think they can help you there. But, if you've found something different that would be interesting to know.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    I'm relieved to see PANORAMIC PRINTS on that list!

Although in truth I've decided that I really dislike making my photos available just as un-mounted prints at all. No average joe is ever going to be able to receive a rolled-up print and treat it properly.

What would MAKE MY DAY would be if I could sell prints MATTED with 2.5" mat on the sides and 2" mat on the top and bottom, for example.

Framed prints is I guess asking for too much, I gave up on that long ago. But mounted prints, now that I can see happening. Or at least shipped flat, which WHCC can do. Even for 24x36" prints! Either EZPrints needs to offer more services, or Smugmug needs to find some more options.
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2006
    stuff
    Personalized Database access and Forms support so we can further customize and retain our client info. That or some sort of off-site gallery support -basically something that would allow smugmug's gallery service to integrate with an off-site domain. Actually, I'd just like to see better web services integration. It'd be nice if I could throw a flash file in, or some server side scripting. How about all the functionality of a web host provider, without the hosting? rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Oh, and I noticed that EZPrints offers "framed" photos. Could we get that on our list of product categories?
    SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
    Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )
  • Options
    dcyphertdcyphert Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    Custom Bulk (image) Pricing within gallery
    JimM wrote:
    Okay, too many choices listed. Here are my top 3...
    1. Coupons
    2. Packages
    3. Pro's pricing - ajax the pricing allow buyers to see before going to cart

I'm all for these too...something else I just discovered is the need to price many prints inside the same gallery that are already sized to be 8x10, 5x7, 4x6, etc...i.e. My business involves creating customized composites that are sized specific. I have up to this point been creating individual galleries for 8x10's, 5x7's, etc. For example....I may have 5 prints that are 8x10's and want to make them a certain price and 12-5x7's a different price, etc. This doesn't take that long with the last example but if I have 30-40 prints of different sizes it takes too long.

With the current process I have to set the "gallery" price to what I have a majority of and then open each individual print and price separately the others. This is very time consuming and would be easier to have the option be able to choose the thumbs and price multiple sizes.

My suggestion would to allow the user to choose multiple thumbs in a gallery and have a field to enter a price and format (lustre, matte, gloss) for those they highlite. I hope this was clear as mudd...if anyone has a good suggestion to speed up how I do this I'd appreciate the advice.
    Dave

Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel XT, (2) Canon 430ex ETTL Flash, Canon 70-200mm IS USM L, 28-135mm IS USM lenses, Canon ST-E2 Wireless transmitter, Stroboframe flash bracket, Off camera shoe, Canon Remote Timer
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    dcyphert wrote:
    I'm all for these too...something else I just discovered is the need to price many prints inside the same gallery that are already sized to be 8x10, 5x7, 4x6, etc...i.e. My business involves creating customized composites that are sized specific. I have up to this point been creating individual galleries for 8x10's, 5x7's, etc. For example....I may have 5 prints that are 8x10's and want to make them a certain price and 12-5x7's a different price, etc. This doesn't take that long with the last example but if I have 30-40 prints of different sizes it takes too long.

With the current process I have to set the "gallery" price to what I have a majority of and then open each individual print and price separately the others. This is very time consuming and would be easier to have the option be able to choose the thumbs and price multiple sizes.

My suggestion would to allow the user to choose multiple thumbs in a gallery and have a field to enter a price and format (lustre, matte, gloss) for those they highlite. I hope this was clear as mudd...if anyone has a good suggestion to speed up how I do this I'd appreciate the advice.
    Thanks for the suggestions thumb.gif
  • Options
    SledhedSledhed Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    I have three things (OK 4) on my list of improvements I would like to see.

1. Coupons
    2. Make it so I can right click when I am logged in.
    3. I love the replace feature, it has cut my PP time considerably, but I would like to replace more than one picture at a time.
    4. I know this won't happen and I've read all of the threads why but I would like to upload low res images and replace them with the hi-res when an order has been placed.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2006
    Sledhed wrote:
    4. I know this won't happen and I've read all of the threads why but I would like to upload low res images and replace them with the hi-res when an order has been placed.
    You can do this now :)
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39260

You can smash them. You must have the pixel dimensions of the largest print you want to sell, but you can get the file sizes down quite a lot.
  • Options
    mcgilmcgil Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    Search in private and or passworded galleries
    Speed of viewing (pre-fetch)

Totally the ones I'm rooting on... either pre-fetch or a faster resizing engine .. cause the bandwith does not seem to be the issue here, right ?
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    The Feature Request thread has a list in the first post of requested features (some of which have been long standing)

Smugmug is wonderful at adding features to their site often, but they won't tell us what they are working on right now (for business reasons).

What do you Hope they are working on... come on, join in, this could be fun! Pick your top 2.
    1. Better Uploader
    2. Template or gallery tools for a whole category or subcat
    3. Allow pro branding in the cart
    4. Allow meta-tag customization
    5. Homepage Slideshow
    6. Paypal Integration
    7. Filenames in the shopping cart
    8. Improve the GUI for arranging galleries

my order of preferred items with the super extra ultra high priority no> 1 annoyance for me in red
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..