Options

SmugMug Mac OS X uploader beta (works on IntelMacs!)

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
We are currently testing this in-house, but it would be nice to get some more feedback from more machine configurations. It should work on all OS X configurations, so please report anything that doesn't work. (For instance, we don't have access to really old versions of OS X to easily test on)

You can download it here.

We are primarily looking for bugs... anything that would keep it from working, or working properly.

We definitely want to hear feature requests, and we have some cool things planned for it. They just won't make it into this version, we want to get a version out for all our IntelMac people right away. :clap
Smug since 2003

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    We are currently testing this in-house, but it would be nice to get some more feedback from more machine configurations. It should work on all OS X configurations, so please report anything that doesn't work. (For instance, we don't have access to really old versions of OS X to easily test on)

We are primarily looking for bugs... anything that would keep it from working, or working properly.

We definitely want to hear feature requests, and we have some cool things planned for it. They just won't make it into this version, we want to get a version out for all our IntelMac people right away. clap.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gif

bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    ne_nau.gif Well here at work we are using macs osx 10.3.9 and this does not work at all, crashes soon as I open it up... so its a no go at work on this operating system....

I will see how is works once I get home on my macs there I have the latest operating system
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 23, 2006
    It runs here on 10.4.7 but the pics do not show up in the galleries. I was able to log in, pick a gallery and drag and drop without an issue. it appeared to upload in the window but when I look at my gallery there's nada.
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 23, 2006
    Ben wrote:

We definitely want to hear feature requests, and we have some cool things planned for it. They just won't make it into this version, we want to get a version out for all our IntelMac people right away. clap.gif

Oh I was sooooooooooo excited to see this! Downloaded and started it up (MacBook), uploaded a picture, and the result was a "Photo Not Found" thumb. It started great, let me log in, showed all my galleries, but no joy in the end ne_nau.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    This one works for me. I no longer get the "You're running an insecure version of the OS" error that 2.0 gave me. I never got 2.0 to work and was using the old uploader. This one works!

Uploaded 3 photos to a test gallery and all is well after a minute or so for smugmug to process the photos.

Mac OS X 10.4.7 on a PowerBook G4 (PPC of course) over DSL
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    does not work for 10.4.7 on my powerbook or my g5. I can log in then I dragged on 2.3 mb jpeg to the window and like a minute later it was done. Did not do anything cause no photo is there.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    AnInfiniteJourneyAnInfiniteJourney Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    not me either
    Sorry doesn't work on my G5 Mac 10.4.7 FF either... looked like it up loaded but not in the gallery.

Was having problems with 2.0 sending to galleries i did not specify or not at all - this was in the last 3-4 days. Was working prior.

I loved the loader when it was working thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    just out of curiosity, can you guys try again today? I know we were having some problems with image processing last night, so it would be nice to confirm that it is indeed the uploader that is broken. :)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    I used the uploader earlier with no problems with the upload.

One issue is that since I've got 2 smugmug accounts when I logged out of one (mikelane2) and into the other (mikelane) the list of galleries didn't change until I clicked on new smugmug album and then hit cancel in that box.

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I used the uploader earlier with no problems with the upload.

One issue is that since I've got 2 smugmug accounts when I logged out of one (mikelane2) and into the other (mikelane) the list of galleries didn't change until I clicked on new smugmug album and then hit cancel in that box.
    it's not multi-account so in practice, for you, you'd have to delete the prefs file for the uploader in between usages for different accounts.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    it's not multi-account so in practice, for you, you'd have to delete the prefs file for the uploader in between usages for different accounts.
    Right-o thumb.gif

• Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Andy wrote:

thats not true actually, you can switch accounts in v2 and v2.1, and it should refresh the galleries. I will get that looked into.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    just out of curiosity, can you guys try again today? I know we were having some problems with image processing last night, so it would be nice to confirm that it is indeed the uploader that is broken. :)

I tried it again just now, twice, attempting to upload a photo to two separate galleries, and the photo does not appear in either gallery. ne_nau.gif
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    Working OK here, no probs so far, Dual PowerMac G5 with 10.4.7.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2006
    Barb wrote:
    I tried it again just now, twice, attempting to upload a photo to two separate galleries, and the photo does not appear in either gallery. ne_nau.gif

Does your upload log happen to show the image or anything at all about the upload? (upload log is in the control panel, up in the top box)
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 26, 2006
    I've tried it three times now and have only been able to get 1/9 images to upload and show up in a gallery. All the images look as if they are uploading as they are supposed to but never show up in the gallery.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Would one of you mind checking the upload log to see if your photos are showing up there or not?
    http://www.smugmug.com/homepage/uploadlog.mg

Just try and upload a few photos, and then check the upload log to see which ones are mentioned, and what is says.

Thanks!
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    Would one of you mind checking the upload log to see if your photos are showing up there or not?
    http://www.smugmug.com/homepage/uploadlog.mg

Just try and upload a few photos, and then check the upload log to see which ones are mentioned, and what is says.

Thanks!
    Mac Pro:
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2006
    I just uploaded 23 small jpg files to this gallery using the mac osx uploader on my mac book pro just now. They haven't showed up in the gallery yet and they aren't in the upload log either. The one image that is in that gallery was uploaded yesterday with the universal uploader.

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    I am in the middle of an upload right now. The photos are showing up in the gallery already - no problem.

The reason I am posting is that I noticed in the uploader window, you have a column labeled "Date Taken." The displayed data doesn't correspond to the label. Checking against the actual files, the uploader's Date Taken column is not displaying the EXIF Capture Date, but the file's Creation Date, which in my case is several days after the date taken because I did an export to JPEG from Raw.

smugmug uploader 2.1
    Mac OS X 10.4.7 on PowerBook G4 (PPC)
  • Options
    dfintdfint Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2006
    Works great!
    Greetings!

I just signed on to SmugMug with a trial account last week, and immediately bombarded the support folks when I discovered that I could not upload in bulk from either of my two computers. Robin directed me to this site, and suggested that I try the trial version 2.1 of the uploader.

This version (2.1) appears to have resolved my problems, and I am a happy camper! thumb.gif

For the record: Computer #1 is a year-and-a-half-old G5 iMac, and Computer #2 is a new MacPro (intel). Both are using Mac System 10.4.7.

With the version 2.1 uploader, I successfully uploaded individual files as well as an iPhoto album. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif (For the curious, our smugmug account is under username d-kfint)

Dave
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2006
    dfint wrote:
    Greetings!

I just signed on to SmugMug with a trial account last week, and immediately bombarded the support folks when I discovered that I could not upload in bulk from either of my two computers. Robin directed me to this site, and suggested that I try the trial version 2.1 of the uploader.

This version (2.1) appears to have resolved my problems, and I am a happy camper! thumb.gif

For the record: Computer #1 is a year-and-a-half-old G5 iMac, and Computer #2 is a new MacPro (intel). Both are using Mac System 10.4.7.

With the version 2.1 uploader, I successfully uploaded individual files as well as an iPhoto album. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif (For the curious, our smugmug account is under username d-kfint)

Dave
    Hi Dave wave.gif

Welcome to DGrin!

Happy to hear the new Mac uploader is working good for you. clap.gifclapclap.gif

If there is anything else we can help you with, just holler!
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    mkoistinenmkoistinen Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2006
    ne_nau.gif Well here at work we are using macs osx 10.3.9 and this does not work at all, crashes soon as I open it up... so its a no go at work on this operating system....

I will see how is works once I get home on my macs there I have the latest operating system

You've probably figured this out by now, but since this is a Universal Binary, it will require 10.4 or later. 10.3 doesn't know what to do with Universal Binaries.
  • Options
    mkoistinenmkoistinen Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2006
    Loads of Network Errors!
    Hi,

I am SO happy that you've released 2.1 and a Universal Binary version! It seems to work for me, except it craps out often with network errors. However, I've been seeing these same errors with the "Universal Uploader" too. I'm posting this on the 16th of Sept. and I know you did a bunch of network-related work at SmugMug on the 14th, so perhaps it is related to your new traffic re-director scheme.

Anyway, presuming I have guessed right above, this new version seems to work great!

My feedback, since you asked:

UI bug: the labels are reversed on the two progress meters. I think that the "Sending # of #" label should go on the bottom, since that one only moves when the # changes and the bottom one moves as the data for the individual image moves. Likewise, the filename being uploaded should be for the first meter, since it relates how much of the individual file is uploaded.

Feature request: Can you make it so that you can "sync" an iPhoto album with a SmugMug album? I'd love to make a "Best of the Best" album in SM that automatically gets updated with the contents of an iPhoto smart album that picks up all my 5-star rated photos. Also, having this feature would have helped a lot with all these network errors today... I could just tell it to restart after the error, and it would (hopefully) skip over the images that are already there. Currently, it happily re-uploads from the start of the album, thereby uploading duplicate images.

Of course, once this capability is in, the app could auto-restart any interrupted transfers by itself!

I realise that sync-ing is probably already on your roadmap, but, how about moving it up the priority list a few notches! :)
  • Options
    shiznitzshiznitz Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2006
    Hi all,

I'm brand-new to smugmug (just signed up yesterday), and am having the same issues with the Mac uploader that I see others on this thread have reported.

2.0 always gave me the 'insecure' error, and now 2.1 constantly crashes whenever I launch it. I'm running OS X 10.3.9 on a 12" PB G4.

I saw in a previous post on this thread that Tiger (OS X 10.3) is not supported at all by the new 2.1 Mac uploader - is this true? If so, do we crusty old OS X 10.3.x users have any option whatsoever, other than the 'universal bulkloader' (which I find to be very slow)?

I hope that something can be done to support Tiger, because I believe that a lot of us are still using it... !~?

Thanks all!
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2006
    shiznitz wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm brand-new to smugmug (just signed up yesterday), and am having the same issues with the Mac uploader that I see others on this thread have reported.

2.0 always gave me the 'insecure' error, and now 2.1 constantly crashes whenever I launch it. I'm running OS X 10.3.9 on a 12" PB G4.

I saw in a previous post on this thread that Tiger (OS X 10.3) is not supported at all by the new 2.1 Mac uploader - is this true? If so, do we crusty old OS X 10.3.x users have any option whatsoever, other than the 'universal bulkloader' (which I find to be very slow)?

I hope that something can be done to support Tiger, because I believe that a lot of us are still using it... !~?

Thanks all!

V1 of the Mac Uploader, you can try this one:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=329547&postcount=15
  • Options
    bhosbhos Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2006
    2.1 mac uploader crashes on >96 files
    I'm using the 2.1 mac uploader on a 1GHz TiBook G4 running 10.4.7 and it crashes with no error or warning when I try to upload more than 96 files, it crashes out at the 97th file or so.

Also, the uploader is consuming *huge* amounts of memory, over 390MB of real memory at the moment. For something that is primarily doing a file transfer, I'd expect it to be consuming a lot less memory.

Jonathan
  • Options
    mgowinmgowin Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2006
    Problem with 2.1 uploader
    After downloading and installing the 2.1 uploader on my MacBook Pro, I logged in with my SmugMug account information then get this error:

112800311-S.png

I've been able to upload files, but still get this error everytime the Uploader is started.
  • Options
    edited November 25, 2006
    mgowin wrote:
    After downloading and installing the 2.1 uploader on my MacBook Pro, I logged in with my SmugMug account information then get this error:

112800311-S.png

I've been able to upload files, but still get this error everytime the Uploader is started.

Hi, since you have an Intel Mac, try this newest version:

Use spotlight to find "com.smugmug.upload.plist" and delete it. Delete the old version of the uploader on your machine too. Download from here:
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/smug/SmugMug_Mac-2006-10-27.dmg
  • Options
    mgowinmgowin Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, since you have an Intel Mac, try this newest version:

Use spotlight to find "com.smugmug.upload.plist" and delete it. Delete the old version of the uploader on your machine too. Download from here:
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/smug/SmugMug_Mac-2006-10-27.dmg
    Thanks for the quick response, Andy.

Followed your instructions and downloaded the new uploader. I'm not getting that error message I reported earlier--that's good.

When I try to upload from the iPhoto "side" of the app, it only uploads 4-6 files into my selected SmugMug gallery (even though it reports that its uploaded all of the images). I don't seem to encounter this problem from the Files "side" of the uploader--all of the files I place there get uploaded to the gallery.

--Michael