• Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Catto wrote:
    In the words of the immortal Elvis Presley;
    'Before you abuse, criticise and accuse,
    Walk a mile in my shoes.'

I like it thumb.gif

Catto - your one cool customer - excellent controlled responses in both threads to sask2005 - seems to covey that "You ARE a professional". Hope to read more from you.

Sask2005 - there is a lot of info out there, you don't need to hack off your competition. Develop your own style. Catto types like a great person. He has already shared a great deal of info and may be willing to help in other areas - such as the true cost of business operation. Work with not against. Good Luck!
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    I like it thumb.gif

Catto - your one cool customer - excellent controlled responses in both threads to sask2005 - seems to covey that "You ARE a professional". Hope to read more from you.

Sask2005 - there is a lot of info out there, you don't need to hack off your competition. Develop your own style. Catto types like a great person. He has already shared a great deal of info and may be willing to help in other areas - such as the true cost of business operation. Work with not against. Good Luck!
    So true in both statement. Sask2005 I think you may consider directly contacting Catto and getting some ideas on places to shoot that maybe he (Catto) can't / doesn't / won't cover that maybe opportunities for you to get some income, more experience and where you won't be competiting against each other. I could see how competition could make photographing these events unprofittable for both of you if you let it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I am agreeing, and guessing, that working together is the best way to go.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Looks like mr SasK has gotten quiet....I hazard a guess that it might have been Mr Catto with whom he was doing the competeing and never thought he would come here to confront him mwink.gif ......

Just gotta love this INTERNET thing.....:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Sask2005 wrote:
    Because he charges excessively and I don't think that its right to overcharge people.

I dont think its anyone business what people charge. A darwin type theory of evolution will sort things out ie only those that are strong & can adapt to changing conditions will come through at the end.

Im involved in a small business & competitors open constantly around it offering a reduced quality service for half the price...they set up over night with the latest new gear (all leased)...screw the market...go arse up in 6 months & dissapear. Leaving those that have been in the same spot for 20 years still plugging away.

We have a sign over the counter :

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten! "
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    I hazard a guess that it might have been Mr Catto with whom he was doing the competeing

Ding - Ding - Ding : What has he won Johnny :D

Sask2005 was trying to get info on how to make a site like Catto's in this thread and identified Catto as the competition. Catto chimed in and told him how to do it rolleyes1.gif. That Catto is one cool :): cat.

Can't say I approve of Sask's methods - but I'm sure he doesn't care what I think. Live and learn.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • Options
    edited April 13, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    We have a sign over the counter :

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after low pricing is forgotten! "

thumb.gif That's great thumb.gif
    Greg
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    thumb.gif That's great thumb.gif
    I changed it...forgot what it said for a min there rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Sask2005 was trying to get info on how to make a site like Catto's in this thread and identified Catto as the competition. Catto chimed in and told him how to do it rolleyes1.gif. That Catto is one cool :): cat.

I am sure his hit counter went crazy from the link on dgrin.... too funny. Catto is one cool cat. Can't blame Sask2005 for trying to learn though. I am thinking they should just meet up for some beers. I have a feeling that Sask2005 might be able to be a second shooter for Catto and everyone wins. All of life's problems can be solved over a couple of beers 1drink.gif Heck, now if GW Bush could just sit down over a couple with those leaders of IRAN....
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2006
    I thought he had a pretty cool site also......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Bodwick wrote:

Yes I ask a lot of basic questions but I have found that despite not having a pro camera and not having a lot of skills the pro photographers have, my pics have been published around the world every year. My expertise in in photoshop but by asking questions I hope to learn more about photography - that's why I'm here.
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Hi Sask,

Nice to see you back. It's been a long time since April and much has come and gone over the months.

I'm not interested in digging up old posts and this one has been changed so much it's just a mess. No need to worry, I'm a miserable bugger at times and you just got a ramble from me. Time to move on...

Hope to see some of your shots posted.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières