Options

My Buddy Andy

Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
edited December 20, 2004 in People
Hello All,
I had the pleasure of shooting with my good friend Andy this afternoon. We had a ball as usual and we even got a few good pics....lol

Full Frame Andy (notice the large camera with the stock strap :lol3 )
37582611.jpg

Andy shows that where there's a will, there's a way. He needs to get to the other side of this little span of water.

The running start
medium.jpg

Attaining max speed :lol
medium.jpg

The lift off
medium.jpg

The wet sneaker :rofl
medium.jpg

Finally, Andy soaking up a little late afternoon Sun....lol
37582628.jpg
We sure do have a good time shooting and we always end the day with an outstanding meal. Tonite it was calamari, clams, pastas and pizza :thumb Makes you wonder how we keep our girlish figures :lol3

Steve
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    The grace of an antelope rolleyes1.gif
    The first one could be a contender for the challenge Steve!

Glad to hear you had a great time
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Good candid portrait Steve
    Full Frame Andy (notice the large camera with the stock strap lol3.gif )
    37582611.jpg

I can't quite place where you guys are hanging out though! Laughing.gif

Love the sunset shot too... you guys are having way too much fun.
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    The grace of an antelope rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Andy, are you insured? lol3.gif

Thanks for the post Steve!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    briandh76briandh76 Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    I really like the sunset picture, that is really good.

Sigh.... I wish I had a shooting buddy.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    I knew about the camera, but that lens looks serious, too.

And both were taken on a flying trip over mud and water (anyone but me know how slippery that stuff is?), they made it with some kind of landing in the middle.
    Andy probably slid to the other side.

I love the photos! What else did you get? (Photos I mean)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    Full Frame Andy (notice the large camera with the stock strap lol3.gif )

I can't quite place where you guys are hanging out though! Laughing.gif

Love the sunset shot too... you guys are having way too much fun.

'morning, dee :D we were just down the road a piece from you, in half moon bay...

next time, i'll holler, this was a spur of the moment thing deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Do holler!
    andy wrote:
    'morning, dee :D we were just down the road a piece from you, in half moon bay... next time, i'll holler, this was a spur of the moment thing deal.gif

I have a nice beach for you near Half Moon Bay if you haven't been there yet...

I have the next two weeks off too! :-)
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    I have a nice beach for you near Half Moon Bay if you haven't been there yet...

I have the next two weeks off too! :-)
    Dee,
    This trip was supposed to be a small detour to the summit of Hwy 92 to shoot towards the beach and then turn around and go up 280 to the City for some night shooting. It was pretty hazy, so the Hwy 92 idea didn't work :cry So we continued on to a couple of beaches North of where 92 hits Hwy 1. I think one of the beaches was Venice Beach. We did mention that this was your neck of the woods (so to speak) and that we should drop you an email next time we're here. Matter of fact, we talked about how many Nor Cal people are here at dgrin. Maybe we should set up a shoot for sometime in 2005, for the local dgrinners clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 17, 2004
    Nice bag Andy! I have the same one.

Ah... memo to self, 1Ds mkII fits inside.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Have to ask Steve
    Hey Steve,

What was he doing jumping in the water? It wasn't like he was going to clear it. Looks like he has put on a few pounds (no surprise). rolleyes1.gif

The sunset shot of the lad is fantastic.

Harry
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Caaauuuute!... also love the sunset shot... looks like a real good time. Ginge? I'll be your shooting buddy iloveyou.gif

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Dee,
    This trip was supposed to be a small detour to the summit of Hwy 92 to shoot towards the beach and then turn around and go up 280 to the City for some night shooting. It was pretty hazy, so the Hwy 92 idea didn't work :cry So we continued on to a couple of beaches North of where 92 hits Hwy 1. I think one of the beaches was Venice Beach. We did mention that this was your neck of the woods (so to speak) and that we should drop you an email next time we're here. Matter of fact, we talked about how many Nor Cal people are here at dgrin. Maybe we should set up a shoot for sometime in 2005, for the local dgrinners clap.gif

Steve

I know our local group would love this. If you need any help planning, let me know. I will do anything needed to make it work.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Steve,

What was he doing jumping in the water? It wasn't like he was going to clear it. Looks like he has put on a few pounds (no surprise). rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    Hey!! I ressemble that remark :lol It's a good thing he tried it BEFORE dinner. Otherwise, he may not have gotten off the groundrolleyes1.gif

He wanted to cross this little rivulet because there were like 10,000 seagulls just sitting on the beach, on the other side. Andy thought he could get some good "winged rat" shots headscratch.gif All he wound up doing was scaring them. He'd get close and they'd fly away. I think that BIG Canon skeered em.....lol Either that, or they were watching when he made his "leap of faith" and figured he was not a person to be trifled with mwink.gif I mean, they probably thought that anyone who would do this, while holding on to an $8000 camera with a $1700 lens attached and around $5000 worth of glass in his backpack, might be very, very dangerous. Little do they know lol3.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I know our local group would love this. If you need any help planning, let me know. I will do anything needed to make it work.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Sounds good Dave thumb.gif I'll contact you after the holidays ;-)

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Caaauuuute!... also love the sunset shot... looks like a real good time. Ginge? I'll be your shooting buddy iloveyou.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif Lynn. Love your Xmas look. Andy and I need to do more shooting and less eating. Or, we'll wind up looking like a pair of St Nicks, ourselves :yikes

Thanks for the comments,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    briandh76 wrote:
    I really like the sunset picture, that is really good.

Sigh.... I wish I had a shooting buddy.

Brian...where in Ohio are you? Mel Lammers and I go shooting from time to time you could join us. We are in the Dayton/cincinnati area.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Steve...that late afternoon sun shot is the ducks guts. Photos taken in full midday sun should be banned. I keep looking at it wishing i could get this type of clarity in my sunset shots. thumb.gif
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Nice captures Steve,sounds/looks as you two had a great time.
    Andy and sunset is awesomethumb.gif
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    What fun!
    Great shots, Steve - does Andy have the complimentary set of you?
    Love the sunset, Now, about the food...........thumb.gif

ann
    We sure do have a good time shooting and we always end the day with an outstanding meal. Tonite it was calamari, clams, pastas and pizza thumb.gif Makes you wonder how we keep our girlish figures lol3.gif

Steve[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley Photographers?
    dkapp wrote:

Thanks,
    Dave

Since I'm new to dgrin -- who are you all? I live on the coast near San Francisco, but work in Fremont, so driving 40-60 miles around here is nothing new for me.

I'm looking for a photo buddy, preferably someone with a lot of patience, cause I can't walk that fast or far, or stand that long and at my age it's all about the bathrooms. Other than that I get around!

Chime in everyone!

Next week I'm off to Walnut Creek, CA to photograph some antique gas pumps, for example.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Stay close to me Dee...there are some real weirdos in here.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Hmmm..... did I tell you
    Humungus wrote:

I was born and raised in New York City? Gee, Andy didn't mention any weirdos?

Are you local to the area of the great San Francisco Bay?
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2004
    Dee wrote:
    Since I'm new to dgrin -- who are you all? I live on the coast near San Francisco, but work in Fremont, so driving 40-60 miles around here is nothing new for me.

I'm looking for a photo buddy, preferably someone with a lot of patience, cause I can't walk that fast or far, or stand that long and at my age it's all about the bathrooms. Other than that I get around!

Chime in everyone!

Next week I'm off to Walnut Creek, CA to photograph some antique gas pumps, for example.

Hellow Dee!

I live in San Francisco & I'm a member of a local photo group. We are a small friendly crowd that likes to gather on the weekends and go shooting. We have a small forum run by one of the members to discuss outings & help each other with image processing.

Link to our forum

link to our outing this weekend

I'd love to see you out there. It will be a small group this saturday since it's getting close to the holidays.

There are a few other members of our group on this board.

Nice to meet you.

Dave
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    I didn't know they allowed computers in the burn unit...
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 18, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I didn't know they allowed computers in the burn unit...
    rolleyes1.gif
    The mongrels booted me out mate...said i was a disruptive influence to the out patients in the psych unit. I was only trying to photograph some portraits, they said i couldnt title them.. 'loonies ive met'
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    The mongrels booted me out mate...said i was a disruptive influence to the out patients in the psych unit. I was only trying to photograph some portraits, they said i couldnt title them.. 'loonies ive met'
    after the ears last week and the green face this week, I'm surprised they didn't try to keep you in there for impersonating a digital cartoon character.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 18, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    after the ears last week and the green face this week, I'm surprised they didn't try to keep you in there for impersonating a digital cartoon character.
    The only real problem is that im scared to hell with what will enter my head for each challenge !

Please please please no fire ones 'eh ?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2004
    Dave
    Thank you for the link. I'm usually tied up on Saturdays. I have lots to do this weekend to get ready for Christmas, but maybe your group will have something going on next weekend.

I do plan to get out to Treasure Island for the Embarcadero Center building lights, never even thought of going behind the Ferry Building. That's why it's so cool to be in touch with local photographers -- they know all the good spots.

I only recently started going to the city -- parking a problem, and I can't walk too far for too long. I did try to get all the Hearts in San Francisco, but they kept moving them on me! Finally got them all at the "Lot of Hearts" weekend.

We (hubby and I) go to Golden Gate Park more often as it's easy to park. I hadn't been to Stowe Lake in a year or so, and was surprised to see the logs at the northeastern end -- they were acting as perches for seagulls and sunning spots for turtles.

There are so many photo ops in the city that I really do need to arrange a car pool or something. There are some great houses on Fulton Street I want to photograph, and I want to go back to the Haight, and, and, and....

Dee
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2004
    steve, you get five snowmen
    37582628.jpg

Steve

my wife saw this pic and she said "wow - you look skinny there!!" lol3.gif

11746846-Ti.gif11746846-Ti.gif11746846-Ti.gif11746846-Ti.gif11746846-Ti.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2004
    So andy is this a 'fast' lens in action ??

ie a low light & the waves/birds are caught mid action ?