My favorite eagle

2»

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    chaberlack wrote:
    Harry,

Those are fantastic. The adult eagles in our area area are pretty jumpy and will not let you get close. Some of the juveniles, however, will let you walk up right near the tree and shoot them until they get bored with you and fly off. I wish it was the reverse but I will take what I can get.

Craig.

Thanks Craig. Its always interesting with birds and how close they let you get. Last year I could never get this close to an eagle for an extended period. This year she justs sits and poses for at least an hour.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thanks Craig. Its always interesting with birds and how close they let you get. Last year I could never get this close to an eagle for an extended period. This year she justs sits and poses for at least an hour.

If I haven't said so already, wonderful eagle shots, Harry! I have never "known" a raptor who could abide me, smile.

Love the clarity in your shots as always (tripod? Of course)

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    That eagle looks like he thinking here he comes again.

Great series clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

____
    Jim

Yeah Jim, she was getting tired of me after awhile. She has been nice enough to psoe for 3 sessions though. :D
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Fantastic shots!!!!!!

You'll probably be hearing from its agent real soon wanting you to sign contracts and paying for his clients time for that session....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    If I haven't said so already, wonderful eagle shots, Harry! I have never "known" a raptor who could abide me, smile.

Love the clarity in your shots as always (tripod? Of course)

ginger

Thank you Ginger and they were shot with a tripod and the 500mm except the last one which was shot handheld with the 300nn F/4 and 1.4 TC
    Harry
  • Options
    Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Thank you Ginger and they were shot with a tripod and the 500mm except the last one which was shot handheld with the 300nn F/4 and 1.4 TC

Great shots of the eagle Harry. I am going to be making a trip to that part of the state around the first of the year and plan to visit Viera while I am down there. Typically I come down later in the spring and shoot in the Sourthern part of the state. I am also thinking about Merritt and maybe a trip up to St. Augustine.

What can I expect during this time of year in central Fl? I am really hoping to get some nice wood stork images on this trip.
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Fantastic shots!!!!!!

You'll probably be hearing from its agent real soon wanting you to sign contracts and paying for his clients time for that session....rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Thanks Art but keep this agent stuff to yourself. :D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Terry66 wrote:
    Great shots of the eagle Harry. I am going to be making a trip to that part of the state around the first of the year and plan to visit Viera while I am down there. Typically I come down later in the spring and shoot in the Sourthern part of the state. I am also thinking about Merritt and maybe a trip up to St. Augustine.

What can I expect during this time of year in central Fl? I am really hoping to get some nice wood stork images on this trip.

Thanks Terry.

January is a fine time to shoot on the Space Coast. There are three prime locations: the Viera Wetlands off of exit 191 of 95, the Orlanod Wetlands of exit 215 and Merritt Island NMR of exit 220.

Viera is a an unspectacular location that just provieds a steady stream of photo ops. The cast of characters include Great, snowy, and cattle egrets; great blue, green, tri-color, little blue, and black crowned night herons; mottled ducks, blue winged teals, grebes, northern shovelers, and black bellied whistling ducks; anhingas and cormorants; red shouldered hawks, caracaras, ospreys, and bald eagles; sandhill cranes and wood storks; kildeers; terns; white and glossy ibis; coots and common moorhens; limpkins; spoonbills, and grackles. Viera is a drive through location.

The Orlando Wetlands is a walk through locations with most of Viera's cast but has a greater number and variety of hawks and also has purple gallineaus. It can be spectacular at sunset as flocks of birds come flying in.

Merritt Island in January can be a shooter's dreams as it has most of Viera's cast except for limpkins and caracaras but in greater numbers. Black Point Drive is the main drag but Gator Lane should definitely be checked out. This is a drive through spot. There is also a reddish egret who is a regular on Blackpoint Drive.

St. Augustine's rookery in the Alligator Farm is my favorite location but is basically dead except for the period of March through June with late April through May being the peak time to visit.

If you come to Viera and want a guide drop me a line.
    Harry
  • Options
    Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

If you come to Viera and want a guide drop me a line.

I will certainly give you a heads up for some shooting when I am coming down. I have had some great shoots in Florida over the years and I hope this year is as good. Right now, the wood stork and a bald eagle in flight are high on my list, but I am also a fan of spoonbills, hawks of any kind, and pretty much any of the waders.

Will a 400mm suffice for the locations you mentioned?

Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2006
    Terry66 wrote:
    I will certainly give you a heads up for some shooting when I am coming down. I have had some great shoots in Florida over the years and I hope this year is as good. Right now, the wood stork and a bald eagle in flight are high on my list, but I am also a fan of spoonbills, hawks of any kind, and pretty much any of the waders.

Will a 400mm suffice for the locations you mentioned?

Thanks for the info!

$00 should do you fine for most of the shots. If its a prime a TC wouldn't hurt. I did a lot of shooting with a 300mm and a 1.4 TC or my 80-400. If you are a Nikon shooter we could always put your body on my 500.
    Harry