PC Laptop for photo editing?

2»

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    That looks pretty sweet.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2006
    Ordered wings.gif10 days till shipping.

Very nice! I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I tried installing an updated driver from ATI today... even though it claimed support for my card, it did not work. ne_nau.gif I'm not too worried about it, I already returned the Huey, and I use an external monitor which is pretty good.
    Chris
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Well...any ideas on how to pass the time while I wait? I don't think I'll do any more photo processing (except for what the paper needs) until it arrives. Didn't take very long for me to go mad from the waiting did it?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2006
    Well...any ideas on how to pass the time while I wait? I don't think I'll do any more photo processing (except for what the paper needs) until it arrives. Didn't take very long for me to go mad from the waiting did it?

Obviously you should spend the time second guessing your purchase. Isn't that what we all do? ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Obviously you should spend the time second guessing your purchase. Isn't that what we all do? ne_nau.gif
    No kidding. lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

If I had paid full price, yes. If I had paid full discounted price, yes. The price I paid? I'm trying, but I can't.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    If it matters to you, try the guys over at forum.thinkpads.com. Since you have the FireGL branded cards, you get the professional drivers which might lock this out (it appears that LUT adjustability is driver controlled), and the guys there seem to have ways to run Radeon drivers on FireGL branded cards. It's unlikely that this will work, but it's possible.
    I did something I would normally never do... I installed the suggested video driver from Windows Update. Poof, the LUT application works now.

Will wonders never cease...
    Chris
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I did something I would normally never do... I installed the suggested video driver from Windows Update. Poof, the LUT application works now.

Will wonders never cease...

Huzzah!
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    Ordered wings.gif10 days till shipping.

I guess not 10 days till shipping because.

It shipped!wings.gifivarclap.gifclap:ivarwings.gif
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    Late to the table.. But I'm sitting here using an IBM T42 my office issued me. (Was the boss', I'm the FNG, so I get her hand-me-down.) I'd never used a Thinkpad before. Overall I'm very impressed w/ it. The display leaves a little something to be desired (it's only 1024x768 :nah) and the keyboard is just non-standard enough to drive me nuts. But it is very rugged.

My favorite feature of it is the docking station/port replicator. It is top notch and entirely invaluable. Here at the officina I have a full keyboard, external flat panel, a second-old CRT, my trusty trackball, the local 'net, and an external HDD all plugged into the replicator. I just unpack the 'top from my bag in the AM and drop it onto the replicator. At night you hit the oversized eject button and be gone. Very well implemented.

I highly recommend you invest in one if this new prize is to serve as a desktop replacement.

That's a strike against the macs: no docking station/replicators!
  • Options
    AntoineDAntoineD Registered Users Posts: 393 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:

Good point, I wish we had that. thumb.gif

:'(
    have a quick look at my portfolio (there's a photolog, too) :: (11-07-2006) experiencing a new flash portfolio. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    NHBubba wrote:

The new replicators even let you plug in a PCI Express video card that's for desktops into them (i.e. you can run any vid card in a T60 that you can run in a desktop).
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    Do you guys think I should buy another gig of ram from crucial, or do you think the 1gig will be fine?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    Do you guys think I should buy another gig of ram from crucial, or do you think the 1gig will be fine?

If you can afford it, fill it up! I have definitely been RAM limited at times in Photoshop with 1 Gig (on both my laptop and desktop).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    If you can afford it, fill it up! I have definitely been RAM limited at times in Photoshop with 1 Gig (on both my laptop and desktop).
    Me two.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    Well, I can afford it, but it's not nothing to me. Let me ask this. If I'm never going into the page file, will adding ram make a difference?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2006
    Well, I can afford it, but it's not nothing to me. Let me ask this. If I'm never going into the page file, will adding ram make a difference?

My guess is "yes" but I don't have anything to back that up (without doing some Googling). Page files are used by the OS even when you're not at maximum capacity. If you start serious memory swapping because you're out of physical memory, then something is usually wrong (or you have way too many applications open).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2006
    I decided that rather than ram (since ram amount hasn't really been a bottleneck for me with my current laptop that has 1 gig with 128mb of that going towards the video card), I'm upgrading the hard drive right off the bat, so I ordered a 7200rpm 100gb hard drive (will get here one day before my new lappy) and an ultrabay case for the 5400rpm 120gb hard drive that will ship inside my thinkpad - so I'll be able to have 220gb inside the laptop at a time in the form of 100gb at 7200rpm and 120gb at 5400rpm (to be fair, that requires pulling out the cd drive, but it's hot-swappable). Can your precious macs hold 220gb MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (that's supposed to be an evil laugh).

I'm sorry for all the mac hate, it's just that I saw another one of those I'm a mac and I'm a pc commercials, and I swear after being in a room with that mac guy for about 5 minutes I'd punch him in the face. This isn't 1969, shave your face and cut your hair.
  • Options
    Skipper1613Skipper1613 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2006
    I decided that rather than ram (since ram amount hasn't really been a bottleneck for me with my current laptop that has 1 gig with 128mb of that going towards the video card), I'm upgrading the hard drive right off the bat, so I ordered a 7200rpm 100gb hard drive (will get here one day before my new lappy) and an ultrabay case for the 5400rpm 120gb hard drive that will ship inside my thinkpad - so I'll be able to have 220gb inside the laptop at a time in the form of 100gb at 7200rpm and 120gb at 5400rpm (to be fair, that requires pulling out the cd drive, but it's hot-swappable). Can your precious macs hold 220gb MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA (that's supposed to be an evil laugh).

I'm sorry for all the mac hate, it's just that I saw another one of those I'm a mac and I'm a pc commercials, and I swear after being in a room with that mac guy for about 5 minutes I'd punch him in the face. This isn't 1969, shave your face and cut your hair.

The more RAM the better, if you run out of RAM the computer creates space on the hard drive to use as RAM which is slower than if you have RAM. If you don't get the extra RAM a faster HD helps if you get both then better. :)
  • Options
    athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    yeah buy a mac. the company that stuck with a one button mouse for eternity.

idiocy. macs are fashionable and sleek looking. the end. any company that is as stupid and stubborn to stick with an inferior interface to the product (via the mouse) out of pride or fashion...

is a loser in my book.

id rather buy an american car over a honda then get a mac.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2006
    athos wrote:
    yeah buy a mac. the company that stuck with a one button mouse for eternity.

idiocy. macs are fashionable and sleek looking. the end. any company that is as stupid and stubborn to stick with an inferior interface to the product (via the mouse) out of pride or fashion...

is a loser in my book.

id rather buy an american car over a honda then get a mac.

Wow. That's commitment!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited November 20, 2006
    Free clue:

Um, Athos... Stop running around in circles and look around. I know a few Mac people that have more than a simple one button mouse attached. You do know that multiple button mice work too, right? And that editing pads can also be attached? And more. rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2006
    The day I use an external mouse with my laptop is the day I sell my laptop and buy something more mobile.