Options

Digital photo frame

TomaSTomaS Registered Users Posts: 314 Major grins
edited December 28, 2007 in Accessories
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a LCD photo frame. I would like to get good resolution and 35mm (2/3) aspect ratio. 8x12 would be ideal size, but all I can find thru online searches are 8x10 or smaller with low resolution. It appears to be somewhat ignored technology.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Seems I recall Andy posting a link a while back to some larger (higher end) LCD frames, but I can't find it when I do a search. Seem price is the main reason this seems to be an "ignored" market. They don't come cheap! :D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Seems I recall Andy posting a link a while back to some larger (higher end) LCD frames
    You mean this one?

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33002
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Yep! That's the one! I guess searching with "LCD" didn't do the trick!! Google is not always my "best friend"! It can't seem to read my mind....headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Google is not always my "best friend"! It can't seem to read my mind....headscratch.gif
    It can't read mine either, so that's why i use my keyboard :D

Man, that would be cool though.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Thanks Saurora & Ivar! That is is exactly what I had in mind. Except for the price! :D

I wonder what the status of the SM discount is? I did not see an update on that.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 3, 2006
    I am really interested in these for advertising my photos. I have a few locations that would allow me to put one up with a CF card full of photos running on auto. I can see placing a stack of business cards in a holder underneath for people interested in buying a photo. I could go in once a month and rotate the photos out. Security is not really a concern due to the type of location and the people working there. I am just looking at this as another form of pseudo word of mouth advertising.

Price is a factor. The photovu is a nice unit. But the price is out of my reach for now.

Please let us know if you find a good price on one.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Hey doc,

That was basically what I wanted to do with one too. Upscale resturants, coffee shops, etc. would be good candidates to 'rent' one from me and display my biz cards. Not sure why they are so expensive. A quality LCD display is down to $300 or so. Add in a network feed, dedicatedl CPU, memory, and some firmware and you got it. I was hoping for 19" for about $500, but that does not appear to be realistic right now.

I revived the original thread in 'Wide Angle' to see if there is any news since the last post back in the summer.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited December 3, 2006
    Just thinking out loud, but I think the "cheapest" way to do what you want is to use an LCD display with analog video inputs, and then hook a regular DVD player to it. Using DVD software, you can loop a DVD using "Repeat Title" or some such after the current title finishes to return to the beginning.

You can get a fairly decent 19" LCD display for around $200USD and a cheapo player for less than $50.

Granted, this is a "kiosk" sort of solution, but it should get you where you want to go, if you can site the kiosk properly.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Very true Ziggy. And that might be a good low cost way to market pictures in some situations.

But if you think about an upscale resturant, they want 'art' on the wall, not a sales kiosk type of thing. Just having a clean 'frame' that hangs on the wall and does not require any other hardware, intervention, or wires would be soooo much more desirable in most retail establishments. Add to that an 'invisible' update of images by changing an online gallery. Ah.... THAT might be a hot item.
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Just thinking out loud, but I think the "cheapest" way to do what you want is to use an LCD display with analog video inputs, and then hook a regular DVD player to it. Using DVD software, you can loop a DVD using "Repeat Title" or some such after the current title finishes to return to the beginning.

You can get a fairly decent 19" LCD display for around $200USD and a cheapo player for less than $50.

Granted, this is a "kiosk" sort of solution, but it should get you where you want to go, if you can site the kiosk properly.

ziggy53
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 5, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Add to that an 'invisible' update of images by changing an online gallery. Ah.... THAT might be a hot item.

That is actually what the photovu frame offers. They have a wireless feed option. My problem is that the locations I am looking at do not have internet or a wireless network to build on. So it will have to be standalone CF cards, CDs, or hard drive. As for the frame vs LCD I agree that the art aspect is the biggest selling item for the host.

My main criteria is something that is self sufficient, can be programed to turn off and on at specific times, decent resolution, and capable of having new photos loaded quickly.

Oh and price is a big factor rolleyes1.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 5, 2006
    Ha - I was just about to ask for some help on this too - only I'm not interested in marketing/advertising/kiosk - rather for home use. I'm just looking for a good holiday gift for my mom. A search only revealed the PhotoVu frames.

Anyone out there in dgrin land have any good experience with a sub $100 digi-frame? Doesn't have to be big either.
    ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    For those adventerous souls - have you seen this?

http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/duodigitalframe/
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    For those adventerous souls - have you seen this?

http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/duodigitalframe/
    good idea, but not gonna work so well for mom or grandma...

apples talk?!

lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

apples talk?!

lol3.gif
    What? You mean you don't have an A+ certified TechnoGranny?
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    I just saw one at Sam's club for $109. It is 7" (diag) and I think it was 420 horoz resolution with a wide (16/9) aspect ratio. It was not operational, so could not evaluate the quality. Had 128KB mem built in, USB interface, and you can plug in mem cards too.

Might be the ticket for Granny.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ha - I was just about to ask for some help on this too - only I'm not interested in marketing/advertising/kiosk - rather for home use. I'm just looking for a good holiday gift for my mom. A search only revealed the PhotoVu frames.

Anyone out there in dgrin land have any good experience with a sub $100 digi-frame? Doesn't have to be big either.
    ear.gif
  • Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

apples talk?!

lol3.gif

Not sure if they still have them but Staples had a 5X8" for $69. Son-in-law is a Staples General Manager. He ran out after Thanksgiving but said he got more in last week.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    Just came in my email inbox:

11178342.jpg
    $10 Off
    Digital Spectrum 5.6" Digital Picture Frame
    White or Black

The NV-560 Digital Picture Frame is the newest in a line of photo players from Digital Spectrum. The NV-560 sports a high resolution, bright 5.6” TFT screen that displays digital photos in vivid color. The contemporary design features a white or black bezel in a clear acrylic frame. Set up as a slide show and play directly from a memory card. The number of images is only limited by the capacity of the memory card being used. The NV-560 accepts CF/SD/XD/SM/MMC/MS cards for maximum compatibility with major digital cameras. The unit is light, portable and easy to use. A great companion to your digital camera and an excellent way of showing off your pictures to family and friends. An easy to use on-screen menu is used to access the different control functions, giving you full control of the slide show and player functions.
    Link
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2006
    The reviews of the Digital Spectrum frames on Amazon are not encouraging.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    Doc,

These guys are coming out with wireless enabled frames for less than PhotoVU in January. Amazon has them for pre-order at $399 and $499. I think I will wait and order one of them. Their current models get mixed reviews, but I can always return it if it is crap.

Target seems to have a good selection of sub $150 frames online.
    docwalker wrote:
    I am really interested in these for advertising my photos. I have a few locations that would allow me to put one up with a CF card full of photos running on auto. I can see placing a stack of business cards in a holder underneath for people interested in buying a photo. I could go in once a month and rotate the photos out. Security is not really a concern due to the type of location and the people working there. I am just looking at this as another form of pseudo word of mouth advertising.

Price is a factor. The photovu is a nice unit. But the price is out of my reach for now.

Please let us know if you find a good price on one.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2006
    TomaS wrote:
    Doc,

Target seems to have a good selection of sub $150 frames online.
    That's the ticket - thanks, I'll check 'em out.
    Erik

• Options
    TrasmcTrasmc Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2006
    We just bought the Kodak version at Target (less than $150). The thing the Kodak version has that some don't is a "shuffle" mode for the slideshow - something the intended recipient will like.

The images look decent enough for our purposes, although if you are viewing a mix of portrait and landscape images with the frame arranged on your table or wall for landscape, the portrait images won't use the entire screen size.

Good luck!
    Learning a little more every day.

Come visit me at...

www.brickstreetphotos.com
  • Options
    NJCOWBOYNJCOWBOY Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 14, 2006
    Digital photo frame
    TomaS wrote:
    Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a LCD photo frame. I would like to get good resolution and 35mm (2/3) aspect ratio. 8x12 would be ideal size, but all I can find thru online searches are 8x10 or smaller with low resolution. It appears to be somewhat ignored technology.

Thanks in advance,

JUST READ YOUR POST TODAY. IF YOU'RE STILL IN THE MARKET FOR DIGITAL PHOTO FRAMES, YOU MAY WANT TO TRY THE FOLLOWING SITE:

http://www.ceiva.com
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2006
    NJCOWBOY wrote:
    JUST READ YOUR POST TODAY. IF YOU'RE STILL IN THE MARKET FOR DIGITAL PHOTO FRAMES, YOU MAY WANT TO TRY THE FOLLOWING SITE:

http://www.ceiva.com

I saw these a couple of years ago. I liked the idea of no pc to do updates (for mom far away) but didn't like the idea of having to keep the frame connected to a phone line. I see that they now have optional wireless adapters. Better. I like the idea of a cheaper frame with a card reader best.
    john w

Edward Steichen

• Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2006
    I saw these a couple of years ago. I liked the idea of no pc to do updates (for mom far away) but didn't like the idea of having to keep the frame connected to a phone line. I see that they now have optional wireless adapters. Better. I like the idea of a cheaper frame with a card reader best.

Not to mention that you get hosed for a $100 a year "PicturePlan" to be able to load photos remotely. I wonder if the unit is easily hackable to pull from a Flickr feed or somesuch.

Anyone actually bought one of these units?

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2006
    FYI, came across some photo frame reviews in the middle of this page.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    Update
    I ordered the PhotoVu 10.4" frame on 1/1 (a holiday) and received it 1/3. It is way better (sharper, more features, nicer framing) than any digital frames that I looked at in stores, AND a better buy too. This company is first class! I will be ordering the 19" soon.

The only downside is the aspect ratio - the current models is .75 for the 10" and .8 on the larger screens. They tell me that they are working on a .66 AR wide screen model.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    TomaS wrote:
    ... This company is first class! I will be ordering the 19" soon.

$1000USD for the 19" model. Yikes!

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2007
    The appropriateness of the aspect ratio depends on how many vertical photos you're showing, I suppose. Tall photos don't look so great in a widescreen frame. I've thought about buying at least two digital frames, some mounted wide and some mounted tall, and only loading photos with the appropriate orientation into each. But that's not in my budget just yet...
  • Options
    andymillsonandymillson Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Thinkgeek (one of the best site for anything geeky rolleyes1.gif ) has these available

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/898a/
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/7edc/
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/8ad9/

Check availability for these on their website, that have been out of stock lately, but should be coming back in soon

Andy
    A Brit among the HAWKEYES
    Canon 5D Mk III
    Canon 24-105L IS USM; Canon 16-35 f/2.8L USM; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM II
    Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM; Bigma 50-500 f/4-6.3 EX DG HSM
    My Galleries
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Okay I know that this is an old thread but I figured I would ask here... so what is the concensus after all this? I am leaning toward the Philips (of course right after the coupon expired) but figured I would ask.ne_nau.gif

Any "I am really happy with...." or "Stay away from ...." comments? I could look at Amazon also but figured see what this group thinks.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact