Options

GPS Discussion

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited February 2, 2008 in Accessories
I just bought my first GPS unit.

I have a few questions.

I'm on a Mac. The GPS I bought is Garmin. I found this software for $50 that promises Mac compatibility. Sound Like a good idea?

I also found this software for linking the waypoints to the photos. Again, good idea?

I also would love to start a resource here on using GPS and tying it in to photos and smugmug. Hopefully a tutorial will come out of it once I understand it well enough. Care to help?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• Options
    edited December 28, 2006
    I'm also interested to find out where y'all get yer maps.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    KbikeKbike Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

I also would love to start a resource here on using GPS and tying it in to photos and smugmug. Hopefully a tutorial will come out of it once I understand it well enough. Care to help?

There is a GPS discussion group on Adventure Rider that might be helpful.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37
    Check it out.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    Which one?headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    David, I was going to direct you to our sister site but I see that kbike's got
    you covered.

A lot of really good stuff there.

Let's start by asking what GPS unit you picked up.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    the ukgser site has a good gps section also. If you search for posts by pan european you will get a lot of good advice. He is a beta tester for Garmin.

The Garmin mapping software, mapsource, doesn't have a mac version yet. Garmin have said that they will have the mac version out in 2007. Until then it is windows only. Patch has used parallels working with mapsource.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Seamus wrote:
    Patch has used parallels working with mapsource.

I have and it works well. I want to try the new beta to see if the USB works as 2.0. Being able to use the Garmin mapping software via parallels was a factor in purchasing my Macbook.

This is the last post I have seen from the Garmin Blog about Mac compatibility. Hopefully they will surprise us in about a week.
    Sep 26, 2006

Garmin will again be showing our wares at Macworld Expo, which runs January 8-12, 2007 in San Francisco. On a related note, we've also been getting a number of questions from the Mac community asking for an update on our OS X compatibility timeline. We're sticking by our revised timeline -- that is, we're aiming for Training Center compatibility by the end of 2006. We'll also have an update on a timeline for completion of our other hardware and software applications. Thanks to all the die-hard Mac fans for staying with us, and we think you'll agree that it was worth the wait!
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    I got the Garmin eTrex Vista Cx.

That's sweet news about the Mac version, if it can be believed....I know they've been promising it for a year.

I downloaded this GPS photo link software, and I really want it mostly for linking location to my photos, so I guess I don't need Mapsource? Don't I only need that if I'm going to put maps on it? I mean, that would be nice, but it's secondary.

It's a USB unit.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    A good unit, yup.

That's sweet news about the Mac version, if it can be believed....I know they've been promising it for a year.
    I've stopped holding my breath on this. And I've been following it longer than Patch.
    I downloaded this GPS photo link software, and I really want it mostly for linking location to my photos, so I guess I don't need Mapsource? Don't I only need that if I'm going to put maps on it? I mean, that would be nice, but it's secondary.
    Yup. But you did ask about what maps up in your first post, so at some point, sounds like you'll want to use it. Also in post 1, I reckon you're throwing your $50 away for the MacGPS software simply by not wanting to run windows. You have a brand new super duper Mac, just get Parallels or something crackin' and use the Garmin stuff - they are/always have been super propietary, so save yourself the hassle.

And in the same vein, any maps you'll want to add (and for anything other than waypoint caching, you'll want to, the basemaps are crap) will have to be from Garmin. Topo are popular for the offroaders and hikers, CityNav is the shizzle for navigating.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    I'm not running windows. Period. I'll wait. :D Or do without maps. But yeah, I got it for my photos, but really, it's a toy, and having maps makes the toy more fun!

What about linking the GPS data to photos? That's the one thing I don't see any mention of on advrider, and the bit that we should really be talking most about here.

Anyone use the second software I linked in that first post, that links the photos to your waypoints? Or something simliar?

DoctorIt wrote:
    A good unit, yup.

I've stopped holding my breath on this. And I've been following it longer than Patch.

Yup. But you did ask about what maps up in your first post, so at some point, sounds like you'll want to use it. Also in post 1, I reckon you're throwing your $50 away for the MacGPS software simply by not wanting to run windows. You have a brand new super duper Mac, just get Parallels or something crackin' and use the Garmin stuff - they are/always have been super propietary, so save yourself the hassle.

And in the same vein, any maps you'll want to add (and for anything other than waypoint caching, you'll want to, the basemaps are crap) will have to be from Garmin. Topo are popular for the offroaders and hikers, CityNav is the shizzle for navigating.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    What about linking the GPS data to photos? That's the one thing I don't see any mention of on advrider, and the bit that we should really be talking most about here.

Anyone use the second software I linked in that first post, that links the photos to your waypoints? Or something simliar?
    Good point. I'm lazy right now... Docwalker to the courtesy phone... He did quite a bit of research on this and is part of the reason he bought his D200. Also, Sebastian aka rainforest1155 does a lot of tagging.
    Erik

• Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:

It's a USB unit.

I don't know anything about the eTrex. I use the 2610. I don't know what prices are like in the states but the 2610 can be picked up for £300 now. It is a great buy for road navigation.
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

I've been waiting since I has my III+ back in the day, but I too am not going to get worked up about it. I have a solution that works for me, someday, maybe they will actually make it. rolleyes1.gifne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    I saw this post on Garmin's blog. I hope this is not all they are announcing at Macworld. :bluduh

Good news for Mac users who also use the Forerunner or Edge. Garmin Training Center is now compatible with Mac! If you'll be at Macworld next week, make sure you stop by our booth to pick up a free Training Center software CD. If you're not planning to be in San Francisco, visit our website in late January and you'll be able to download the software for free.
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I saw this post on Garmin's blog. I hope this is not all they are announcing at Macworld. :bluduh

Well, the good news for me is I got the basics working, Windows-free. GPS Photo Linker works just fine at downloading tracks off my Garmin and then embedding the GPS data in my photos.

It seems the unit doesn't work very well unless it's completely out in broad daylight. i mean, can I put it in a backpack pocket and expect it to track? Doesn't seem like it, yet. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    It seems the unit doesn't work very well unless it's completely out in broad daylight. i mean, can I put it in a backpack pocket and expect it to track? Doesn't seem like it, yet. ne_nau.gif

I have a 60csx and it has very good reception, sometimes even indoors. I don't know about an enclosed pocket, but if I were to put it in a mesh pocket with the antenna up I feel confident it work work. I use it hiking on a belt clip in the woods and it works great.

I wonder if you can get an external antenna for yours and velcro that to the top of the backpack? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I have a 60csx and it has very good reception, sometimes even indoors. I don't know about an enclosed pocket, but if I were to put it in a mesh pocket with the antenna up I feel confident it work work. I use it hiking on a belt clip in the woods and it works great.

I wonder if you can get an external antenna for yours and velcro that to the top of the backpack? ne_nau.gif

We'll see. I still need to play, it was one day and I was too busy shooting to really pay attention to how the GPS unit was working. The one time I looked after taking it out of my pocket it said "aquiring satellites". I'll have to play more.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    We'll see. I still need to play, it was one day and I was too busy shooting to really pay attention to how the GPS unit was working. The one time I looked after taking it out of my pocket it said "aquiring satellites". I'll have to play more.

Not all GPS units get the same reception. The 60csx is designed to get excellent reception in most circumstances. Someone who has your unit will be able to let you know what to expect.
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    I have been following this thread with much interest because India is waiting for in March :D and I want to embed the GPS data into the pictures when I come to Portugal.

I need a GPS working on my pocket when I'll be walking in India...
    The one David has doesn't look to work very well in this circumstance...

Any thought, please ?
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    I have been following this thread with much interest because India is waiting for in March :D and I want to embed the GPS data into the pictures when I come to Portugal.

I need a GPS working on my pocket when I'll be walking in India...
    The one David has doesn't look to work very well in this circumstance...

Any thought, please ?

Hey, don't go by what I said, I haven't tested it enough to even know yet.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Hey, don't go by what I said, I haven't tested it enough to even know yet.
    I'll be curious as well to see what you find out. I have the same unit as Patch (60CSx) and it's reception, to me, borders on amazing. Especially since I had it's predecessor, the 60CS which I also thought had great reception, until I got the new X. Mine works in tunnels, thick trails, in my house (unheard of for the previous gen CS), and near the edges/windows of my concrete/brick lab building.

The receivers in all the Garmin units definitely aren't the same, and the antennas too, so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if a less expensive and feature-rich unit didn't have quite the same reception power.

Antonio, if you're not opposed to spending just a little bit more, I can highly recommend the 60CSx as a bulletproof all-around unit. It's small (and the form-factor lends itself well to being in a pocket or bag), very tough, waterproof, but smart enough to handle everything from hiking to auto-routing in a car/motorcycle.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    The receivers in all the Garmin units definitely aren't the same, and the antennas too, so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if a less expensive and feature-rich unit didn't have quite the same reception power.
    \

The antenna on the unit you have is definitely more robust, just by looking at it. Mine's hidden in the unit somewhere, and yours is...BIG! :D

I don't get reception in the house, and when I do, it is unreliable. This much I know.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Mine works in tunnels, thick trails, in my house (unheard of for the previous gen CS), and near the edges/windows of my concrete/brick lab building.

It's small (and the form-factor lends itself well to being in a pocket or bag), very tough, waterproof, but smart enough to handle everything from hiking to auto-routing in a car/motorcycle.

I concur, the reception could almost be too good, in a grab your tinfoil hat sort of a way. :patch for a multi-use GPS I am very happy with my 60csx. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ...Antonio, if you're not opposed to spending just a little bit more, I can highly recommend the 60CSx as a bulletproof all-around unit. It's small (and the form-factor lends itself well to being in a pocket or bag), very tough, waterproof, but smart enough to handle everything from hiking to auto-routing in a car/motorcycle.
    Thank you Erik.
    That's a good help !thumb.gif
    Rather expensive thought ...
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2007
    I posted a reveiw of GPS Photo Linker, here.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I posted a reveiw of GPS Photo Linker, here.
    Excellent, David
    Thank you.
    My son had already discovered that, as we are on Mac also. :D
    thumb.gif
    May be this thread is a plus to the discussion ?! ...
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I have and it works well. I want to try the new beta to see if the USB works as 2.0. Being able to use the Garmin mapping software via parallels was a factor in purchasing my Macbook.

This is the last post I have seen from the Garmin Blog about Mac compatibility. Hopefully they will surprise us in about a week.

Apparently we were disappointed? I haven't seen anything come out of MacWorld....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 16, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Apparently we were disappointed? I haven't seen anything come out of MacWorld....

Unless you own a fitness product.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    A few must have softwares
    Many people spend quite a bit on software's when there are really good open source versions available,
    The must have softwares for any GPS are
    1. GPS trackmaker
    2. GPS babel(For conversion from one format to another)
    3. google earth.
    You don't need a pro version of google earth too.
    Just use GPS trackmaker. Connect your GPS to PC and then select google earth view.
    For mapping etc., you will need to buy maps from garmin etc., but for routes etc., all you need to do is create a route in google earth, save as kml, convert format to garmin and load the route on your garmin GPS!
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

Yes, very disappointing, but at least they are still working on it.
    Chet's Corner: Macworld Expo

Jan 16, 2007 3:58:00 PM

As many of you know, Garmin recently attended the Macworld Expo in San Francisco. For my post today I just wanted to reiterate what our stance is on Mac support at this time.

We started shipping our Mac-compatible version of Training Center at the Expo. This will be available for download on the Garmin website by the end of this month. This product will be compatible with our Forerunner 205/305 and Edge 205/305 units.

Our next step are Mac-compatible versions of our WebUpdater software that is used to updated unit firmware and the POI Loader application for Custom POI's. Both of these software programs will be available to download in Q1 of this year.

This is only the beginning. We are not going to stop working on reaching full compatibility for all of our software titles. It has taken longer than we thought it would but we are just as committed now as we were when we started this last year. Thanks for your patience.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Just Had To Revive This One
    I had to revive this one as I just got the data cable for my Garmin Etrex ordered today.

I have read this thread several times and haven't seen any thing about PC based software for GPS-Photo linking.
    I did email the developer of GPS Photo Linker and have not gotten a reply...yet....but since he is or was a grad student...weeeeeell..it could be awhile.

So Ivar or DavidTo or any one else.....are you knowledgable of any inexpensive GPS PHOTO linking software that write the data to the EXIF as GPS Photo Linker does??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website