Options

Ring Flash thingy (7 images)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    Ah yes, I was thinking more for portraits where bigger is better. My brain isn't geared for macro yet. I have trouble enough focusing on big stuff. :D
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2007
    For those keeping score at home, this will probably be my light source.

http://www.businesslights.com/product_info.php?products_id=1432

CRI of 94 and 5300K should make a nice light! Plus they are reasonably priced....
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Let's see your version, ayy? I need some ideas for constructing custom ring lights!

ziggy53 wrote:
    Thanks for the link. It is different, but I'm not sure about it being an upgrade.

The version I built has the advantage of creating a larger overall emitter surface, and I chose to make the light emit very close to the lens. This gives a better fill for macro and close focus work, allowing the light to penetrate further into an orifice, like an open mouth, for instance.

The device in your link has more of a "hole" in the center of the light, which will yield a more distinctive "donut" shaped catch light for portraiture.

Each device has its own properties, and slightly different applications. I may have to build one of these "bowl" lights for myself, to explore the differences. mwink.gif

Thanks,

ziggy53
    Steve-o
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,851 moderator
    edited February 14, 2007
    Forehead wrote:
    Let's see your version, ayy? I need some ideas for constructing custom ring lights!

Steve,

I have the images of "my" device at the start of this thread. Did you need more than that? ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Hmm,

Must have missed that (I do that sort of thing sometimes, to remind myself that I'm "only human"). I'll take another look:D
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Steve,

I have the images of "my" device at the start of this thread. Did you need more than that? ne_nau.gif
    Steve-o
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    I'm defenitley going to give this DIY project a try. What would be the cheapest light source I could use? I don't want to spend much on this project, just looking to have some fun with it, and maybe come outwith something I can use somtimes. I think I am going to go the Bundt pan route, seems like it owuld be the most durable.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    I'm defenitley going to give this DIY project a try. What would be the cheapest light source I could use? I don't want to spend much on this project, just looking to have some fun with it, and maybe come outwith something I can use somtimes. I think I am going to go the Bundt pan route, seems like it owuld be the most durable.

For me it was pretty cheap because I already had most of the stuff I needed, including an E-TTL II flash and "off camera cord". Those things allowed me to automate the exposure considerably.

If you want to go completely manual exposure, and have a camera with a PC flash connector, a compatible PC flash might have a long enough cord to get you to the right distance for the flash. A few test exposures and you should be good for fixed distances to the subject.

For a larger light source, I've seen projects where they used a single "kitchen ring fluorescent" bulb, modified to allow the lens to be inserted in the middle. That would be pretty cheap, but I think color balance was a problem, so they mostly shot B&W.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    If you just need a flash head to experiment with, the canon 155a speed light is as basic as it gets, but has a nice, bright flash and the required PC (household actually) sync connector. They are dirt cheap as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-2-Canon-Speedlight-155A-Flashes-Parts-Repair-AE1_W0QQitemZ220082653724QQihZ012QQcategoryZ15221QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This could make a twin light, or be the power unit of a ring light....
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For me it was pretty cheap because I already had most of the stuff I needed, including an E-TTL II flash and "off camera cord". Those things allowed me to automate the exposure considerably.

If you want to go completely manual exposure, and have a camera with a PC flash connector, a compatible PC flash might have a long enough cord to get you to the right distance for the flash. A few test exposures and you should be good for fixed distances to the subject.

For a larger light source, I've seen projects where they used a single "kitchen ring fluorescent" bulb, modified to allow the lens to be inserted in the middle. That would be pretty cheap, but I think color balance was a problem, so they mostly shot B&W.

If you were going to be using the same light around the camera a lot couldn't I just do a custom white balance setting based on thislight, then always shoot using that cutsom WB? Also, in the case of the ring lite, that wouldn't be a flash, it would just be a regular light in the same position as a ring flash, correct?
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2007
    While I was sitting at my bench at work today, trying to dig out a splinter, an idea struck me....

85114.jpg

Here I was looking through this magnifying lamp digging into my finger with tweezers thinking how nice the quality of light is...eek7.gif

It would be a simple thing to take the glass out of one of these and stick your lens throuh it.

Food for thought this fine day....
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    If you were going to be using the same light around the camera a lot couldn't I just do a custom white balance setting based on thislight, then always shoot using that cutsom WB? Also, in the case of the ring lite, that wouldn't be a flash, it would just be a regular light in the same position as a ring flash, correct?

Yes, you could do a custom WB for "any" light source which doesn't vary. Multiple light sources complicate things as do reflective objects around the subject.

Yes, there are ring lights and ring flashes, and they tend to be further distinguished by size and output, which affect their use.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    HiSPL wrote:
    While I was sitting at my bench at work today, trying to dig out a splinter, an idea struck me....

Here I was looking through this magnifying lamp digging into my finger with tweezers thinking how nice the quality of light is...eek7.gif

It would be a simple thing to take the glass out of one of these and stick your lens throuh it.

Food for thought this fine day....

Those tend to be very low color fidelity (Staples, etc.). Fine for many BW/grayscale images.

There are specialized versions for inspection applications that do better, but I couldn't find any links just now. (Look for a high CRI.)
    ziggy53