Options

Vista?

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited February 6, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Ok, Vista went on sale. Now can someone explain (in 25 words or less) why I should or shouldn't buy it?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Ok, Vista went on sale. Now can someone explain (in 25 words or less) why I should or shouldn't buy it?

Sam

Better security, cooler UI. Likely requires new hardware. Wait for a few months or a year...they won't run out.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited February 1, 2007
    Sam wrote:

Sam
    There doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to upgrade from XP. For now, Vista will only create problems and use more hardware resources. The main problems will likely be worked out by the end of this year. On the other hand, if you are buying a new computer anyway you might as well get Vista, as all future development in the PC world will be based on it.

Regards,
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    There doesn't seem to be any compelling reason to upgrade from XP. For now, Vista will only create problems and use more hardware resources. The main problems will likely be worked out by the end of this year. On the other hand, if you are buying a new computer anyway you might as well get Vista, as all future development in the PC world will be based on it.

Regards,

15524779-Ti.gif with Richard.

I recently purchased a Dell PC and have the option to upgrade from XP Pro to Vista business edition for free. I'll pass.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    I'll pass.

Just as you can no longer find copies of Win98 nor support for it, someday, Windows XP and support will disappear. I am sure MS is as interested in this as anyone.

If you wish to stay on the Windows platform, you will be upgrading, someday, one way or the other. I would not refuse a free upgrade, since you can likely get it and put it away for a rainy day.
  • Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:

Regards,

It's not an option anymore: now that it's officially released, just TRY to choose any other OS.....all Vista all the way. Catch a wave and take the move today!
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    It's not an option anymore: now that it's officially released, just TRY to choose any other OS.....all Vista all the way. Catch a wave and take the move today!
    Not sure about Vista yet. I need a new box before I can take advantage. A friend tells me all his audio/video drivers are broken though, with no Vista drivers yet available.

I did installed Office 2007 on XP and gotta say, I'm impressed thus far! Word is faster and far nicer. You can even strip out all the MS specific coding when saving in HTML etc. And the package includes some new image management tools I have yet to checkout.

It's also the very first time (since roughly 1985!!) that I've had a completely clean, no hassle, install from MS!!!

But don't get me wrong. I'm stil hanging on to Ubuntu, FF and the Open Systems world...
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Well as a Microsoft Certified Developer and 14 years in the software development industry I must say that I've been there for ever MS launch they've had for Windows or Visual Studio. I've been impressed a few times and almost wow'd a few times.

This time I was pretty excited to see Vista! I skipped the launch and decided to entertain the launch from a webcast. It was live it was cool and I had to get out to best buy right away!

Well the next day I made it to Best Buy and they had M$ representatives there and machines setup so we could play with Vista. At first glance, my thought was, "very slick interface". As I played around with it and got into the dialogs and guts of the system I see the same dialogs that I have now. Behind all the smoke I don't see a great change deal of change. The NTFS file system wasn't changed, the overall behind the scenes didn't change. The only change I see is the User Interface. There are some "cool" features that is has and I really like them but are they worth the $259 upgrade to me? NO! I know at some point I will upgrade but with money low the advantages of Vista just aren't there for me.

I do like the way it handles photos and it has some cool seemless features. Some of those cool features that are now build in, I have in ACDSEE that I use for all my photos.

Ok enough, you get the picture. As a M$ person myself I just don't give it all the "WOW" that it was advertised with. If the upgrade was $59 I'd say heck yea.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Sam wrote:

Sam

Why you should buy- not one single reason. It's bound to be riddled with bugs. It's more like SP3 for XP than totally new.

I'm sure after Vista SP2 is done it will work pretty nice and by then there will be games that take advantage of the new DirectX stuff.

Best to wait a year unless you have to get a new PC and it comes installed.

Why you shouldn't buy it- it looks to me a lot like the Win98 to ME "upgrade". Lots of fluff, nothing more.

And it's still a year behind OSX's current version so when Leopard is released Vista will be more than 2 years behind in features, performance and of course the all mighty "bling" factor.rolleyes1.gif

Gene
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    tongue in cheek:
    spagthorpe wrote:
    126510289-L.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Doesn't sound like there is anything there I need. Especially at $259.00.

$295.00, Holy bull dung Batman, for that kind of money I could get me some real fluff. Like new Wacom pad.

Sam
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Just as you can no longer find copies of Win98 nor support for it, someday, Windows XP and support will disappear. I am sure MS is as interested in this as anyone.

If you wish to stay on the Windows platform, you will be upgrading, someday, one way or the other. I would not refuse a free upgrade, since you can likely get it and put it away for a rainy day.

Two years until all support is cut for XP Home and 5 years before all support is cut for XP Pro.

Personally, I don't want to change to Vista, but when I do finally have to update my OS, I want it to be when all the drivers are out there and everything was built with final version Vista in mind.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    Not an option? Huh? Some of us build our own computers. I have four licensed versions of Window XP. I'll bet XP is an option for me on my next computer-- support may be another issue!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Not an option? Huh? Some of us build our own computers. I have four licensed versions of Window XP. I'll bet XP is an option for me on my next computer-- support may be another issue!

I agree...me too. But 99.9999% of folks don't do that, they buy package deals...and it's all Vista baby!
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    photodoug wrote:
    I agree...me too. But 99.9999% of folks don't do that, they buy package deals...and it's all Vista baby!

There were actually still boxes of XP Pro in the local best buy yesterday, and you can still buy XP online. There are lots and lots of XP boxes in the supply pipeline, not even MS can tell all the retailers that bought them to pull them off the shelf. Heck, if you look hard enough, you can still buy win2k legally.

Not that I can imagine any reason for buying ANY version of windows... but hey, whatever floats your boat.....
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    I think I still have 2 copies of win95 nver opened.....ran into them a few days ago when going thru junk to toss...may have tossed them......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Titus213Titus213 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Has anyone spent any time with the EULA for Vista? I understand it is rather restrictive. But I haven't read one in a while so perhaps they've fixed the two install limit?
    Dave
    Perspiring Photographer
    Norwood Photos
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    Hi Sam
    Sam wrote:
    Sam
    1. I
    2. don't
    3. think
    4. you
    5. have to
    6. upgrade
    7. now.
    8. It
    9. will
    10. require
    11. a lot of
    12. hardware
    13. resources
    14. and every
    15. major
    16. driver
    17. would
    18. probably
    19. need
    20. a replacement.
    21. Wait
    22. a year
    23. or so.
    24. Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2007
    Sam,
    Sam wrote:
    Thanks everyone for your responses. Doesn't sound like there is anything there I need. Especially at $259.00.

$295.00, Holy bull dung Batman, for that kind of money I could get me some real fluff. Like new Wacom pad.

Sam

Sooner or later you (and most of us) will have to bite the bullet and upgrade.
    In the past I was one of the first on the upgrade wagon.
    Nowdays I prefer to wait and let the others burn their fingers on all the quirks.
    I'd say by the time of SP1 or SP2 it should be OK.
  • Options
    steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2007
    been using it...
    I have been using Vista a lot this past year and I would definately get it for the next computer I build (or buy). It is nice.
    I have been using the Ultimate version and that is what I would want to get.
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    [quote=
    cmason
    ]
    If you wish to stay on the Windows platform, you will be upgrading, someday, one way or the other. I would not refuse a free upgrade, since you can likely get it and put it away for a rainy day.[/quote]
    Someday.....for sure. That day just isn't here yet.:D

Free is not necessarily good. I can't just get a CD and upgrade when I feel like it. I have to let a Dell tech change settings on my box....no effing way!
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    1. I
    2. don't
    3. think
    4. you
    5. have to
    6. upgrade
    7. now.
    8. It
    9. will
    10. require
    11. a lot of
    12. hardware
    13. resources
    14. and every
    15. major
    16. driver
    17. would
    18. probably
    19. need
    20. a replacement.
    21. Wait
    22. a year
    23. or so.
    24. Cheers! 1drink.gif

That's what I like, A precise answer. clap.gif

Sam
  • Options
    xrisxris Registered Users Posts: 546 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Vista on DVD
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Someday.....for sure. That day just isn't here yet.:D

Free is not necessarily good. I can't just get a CD and upgrade when I feel like it. I have to let a Dell tech change settings on my box....no effing way!

What settings? BIOS maybe? I'm curious.

And one other thing to note. Vista comes on DVD. My copy says if you need CDs you'll have to order them. I wonder how much of an issue that is these days? (Reminds me of the time I received 24 floppies for a Windows upgrade because I didn't want to drop $1,500 on a CD drive. My how times have changed.)
    X www.thepicturetaker.ca
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2007
    [quote=
    xris
    ]What settings? BIOS maybe? I'm curious.
    [/quote]
    Yes...BIOS for sure! Drivers?

I can't remember the exact particulars at the moment. I just remember that it wasn't something I wanted to do.

Here is a quote from the Dell Vista update page:

Easy as Dell: The Dell Windows Vista Upgrade Assistant
    With every Express Upgrade to Windows Vista upgrade kit, Dell will also provide an upgrade assistant DVD to assist you in the installation process. Here's how it works:

1. The Dell Windows Vista Upgrade Assistant will first assess your system for compatibility and provide guidance on backing up data.
    2. Then, the Upgrade Assistant will automatically install required BIOS, drivers, and application patches included on the DVD. (Excludes applications or devices installed by the user.)
    3. If you get stumped, a Dell technician can help you troubleshoot issues 24 x 7 over the phone by calling 1-800-buy-dell.

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I can see that I miss read this the first time....that's the trouble with speed reading.

The "upgrade assistant' is software....not a person.:crazy
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    It's a lot more than 25 words, but here is what Tom's Hardware Guide says about the XP vs. Vista question...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    jayjay Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    no no no xp supports not going to be gone in 2 years its not possible so many millions of xp systems out there so many more than anything else.support just recently stopped for 98 and 2000.i personally wouldnt buy vista or any other pc id step up to the plate and buy a real os OS X :ivar
    jm photography
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2007
    I wouldn't touch Vista for a year and that's what we're telling our clients (network/server/desktop support and MS Gold partner). You'll need new hardware to get the most out of it, new apps to even run on it, and new drivers to get your stuff working correctly with it. Just because M$ support for WinXP will end means nothing. The OS won't magically stop working overnight. And who calls M$ for desktop support issues anyway?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    [quote=
    TristanP
    ]You'll need new hardware to get the most out of it, new apps to even run on it, and new drivers to get your stuff working correctly with it. And who calls M$ for desktop support issues anyway?[/quote]

For me the hardware part is not a problem...but why would I want to upgrade my high end apps just so I can use Vista? You can be sure there are going to be rushes to conform to Vista by software vendors....I'd rather wait for a real upgrade....and fewer headaches.

I did quite well with WIN 98 second edition up until a couple of years ago....and I have no doubt that XP will serve me well for a good while yet.

Not me! Ever. :D
    I'm not willing to take that kind of abuse.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2007
    Later than sooner
    I guess we ("we"=those who are sticking with the MS based software) all can agree that the switch/upgrade is somewhat inevitable eventually, but there should be no rush. That is, unless a particular application (or a set of thereof) critical to your business/workflow is made for Vista exclusively.

I'd like to bring another analogy. Various 64-bit OSes exist for quite some time, including versions of Windows. So do 64-bit CPUs. Naturally, they represent a huge change at the low level data handling, since it's not just "two times more", it's frigging 4,294,967,296 (that's four billion, with a "B", pinkie by the mouth:-) times more...
    However, can you see a vast number of people jumping on this? No.
    Why? Simple: no apps.

It's just like with dSLRs. A particular new body can be great, but unless you have a glass for it, what would you do with it?

HTH
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Titus213 wrote:
    Has anyone spent any time with the EULA for Vista? I understand it is rather restrictive. But I haven't read one in a while so perhaps they've fixed the two install limit?

It's basicly the same as Windows XP's was.
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_licensing.asp
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2007
    Windows Vista moved me to switch to linux. With its move to embrace DRM at the software and hardware level, limit freedoms, locking me out of the OS if it decides it doesn't like the hardware I install, etc. I no longer trust the OS to do my bidding. Instead it is designed to do Microsoft's and others bidding.

In addition, I believe Microsoft is moving towards a rental scheme for the OS, as well as doing what it can to lock users into their solutions and locking users out of others so that they can extract the maximum amount of revenue from each user that they can possibly get away with. You are not a user/customer anymore, you are a revenue entitlement to them.

I started loosing faith in them with the introduction of XP and it's activation scheme. Then when they foisted the genuine advatage gimick, I was on full alert. When I heard what further measures they were going to take with Vista, I had had enough and said no. I stopped using Microsoft at the beginning of the year, and never plan on buying or using Microsoft operating systems anymore.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie