Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    We're still working on this, thanks.
  • Options
    kenyahudsonkenyahudson Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    I'm sorry it took so long. I have listed below the galleries that show up in stats as having large or original sizes accessed.

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/1903820

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/2434878

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/2297361

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/2254494

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/2160558

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/2041013

http://kenyahudson.smugmug.com/gallery/1757595

Yesterday, I tried to access large and original sizes via the galleries on a different computer and not logged in. I was not able to do so, which I guess is a good thing. However, there is another way that I have not yet checked.

On Edit: Printing has not been turned on in any of the sports galleries and I think the photos accessed at large and/or original sizes are all greater than 800 px on the shortest side in the original image.
    Photos: http://www.kenyahudson.com
    Profiles: Lightstalkers | Sportsshooter
    Gear:
    Canon 40D | Canon 350D | Tokina 17/3.5 | Sigma 30mm/1.4 | EF 50mm/1.4 | EF 85mm/1.8 | EF 200mm/2.8L II | EF 300mm/4.0L | Canonet QL 17 GIII | Yashica 635 | Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter & Triggers | Canon 430EX | Nikon SB-24 (x2) | Bogen 3208 Tripod
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Hi everyone,

We just made a small fix to Stats, If you turned off large or original in a gallery, yet requested that size to view in the lightbox - we recorded that you were able to view that size in your stats (even though you only saw the medium).

Thanks!
  • Options
    kenyahudsonkenyahudson Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Thanks for the quick fix! What you described is what I think was happening with my galleries.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi everyone,

We just made a small fix to Stats, If you turned off large or original in a gallery, yet requested that size to view in the lightbox - we recorded that you were able to view that size in your stats (even though you only saw the medium).

Thanks!
    Photos: http://www.kenyahudson.com
    Profiles: Lightstalkers | Sportsshooter
    Gear:
    Canon 40D | Canon 350D | Tokina 17/3.5 | Sigma 30mm/1.4 | EF 50mm/1.4 | EF 85mm/1.8 | EF 200mm/2.8L II | EF 300mm/4.0L | Canonet QL 17 GIII | Yashica 635 | Elinchrom Skyport Transmitter & Triggers | Canon 430EX | Nikon SB-24 (x2) | Bogen 3208 Tripod
  • Options
    JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Issue with stats
    Hi, I posted about this just after the update last month but I posted within the bug reporting thread and the other stats thread, so it might of gotten overlooked. I haven't seen anyone else mention it though. Forgive me if you already know about this.

The problem I'm seeing is with stat reporting on galleries using the new smugmug style. Basically the stats are showing total image views rather than unique image views. This is only happening with the new style ex:http://joshfreeman.smugmug.com/gallery/2301015. The other styles (traditional/all thumbs ex: http://joshfreeman.smugmug.com/gallery/2442775)are recording correctly.

I can go to a gallery with the new style and hit refresh 5 times and it records 5 hits on medium for whatever image was being viewed. It does the same for lightbox views of large as well. Thumbnail views seem to be unaffected. The older styles it doesn't even record hits if I'm logged in and only 1 when I log out or use the other browser no matter how many times I hit f5.

I did notice the loading animation in the upper left each time I hit f5, so is the style downloading the s/m/l images (but not thumbs) each time the page is refreshed rather than using locally cached files?

Thanks,
    Josh
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    JFreeman wrote:
    Hi, I posted about this just after the update last month but I posted within the bug reporting thread and the other stats thread, so it might of gotten overlooked. I haven't seen anyone else mention it though. Forgive me if you already know about this.

The problem I'm seeing is with stat reporting on galleries using the new smugmug style. Basically the stats are showing total image views rather than unique image views. This is only happening with the new style ex:http://joshfreeman.smugmug.com/gallery/2301015. The other styles (traditional/all thumbs ex: http://joshfreeman.smugmug.com/gallery/2442775)are recording correctly.

I can go to a gallery with the new style and hit refresh 5 times and it records 5 hits on medium for whatever image was being viewed. It does the same for lightbox views of large as well. Thumbnail views seem to be unaffected. The older styles it doesn't even record hits if I'm logged in and only 1 when I log out or use the other browser no matter how many times I hit f5.

I did notice the loading animation in the upper left each time I hit f5, so is the style downloading the s/m/l images (but not thumbs) each time the page is refreshed rather than using locally cached files?

Thanks,
    Josh
    Standby I will look at your stats.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    JFreeman wrote:

Thanks,
    Josh
    Open one browser window to your gallery's stats page. Open another window to the gallery. Carefully watch the gallery stats for a given image - then use shift refresh, and fetch all new images. Now refresh the stats page- you will se the numbers increment. Go to lightbox, look at the large size. Refresh the stats page. The numbers will increment.

It's working perfectly, as far as I can tell. You might have settings in your browser to not get NEW images until you hit shift-refresh, so try it that way.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Open one browser window to your gallery's stats page. Open another window to the gallery. Carefully watch the gallery stats for a given image - then use shift refresh, and fetch all new images. Now refresh the stats page- you will se the numbers increment. Go to lightbox, look at the large size. Refresh the stats page. The numbers will increment.

It's working perfectly, as far as I can tell. You might have settings in your browser to not get NEW images until you hit shift-refresh, so try it that way.
    I think you're talking about the stats not recording my own hits while I'm logged in, that shift refresh didn't do anything. The gallery still had 0 hits on the mediums no matter how I refreshed. But that was just something I noticed last night when typing up the last post.

The problem I've been trying to point out since the update and the main issue is the new version of the smugmug style is incorrectly recording total image views on everything but thumbnails. Every time an image is seen it records a hit. It is supposed to record unique image views, ie. record a hit only once per browser session no matter how many times the image is seen. The help section on stats describes this at the bottom under "where are these hits coming from." The other gallery styles are working correctly, it's just the new version of the smugmug style.

For example if someone looks at an image in a glallery then clicks on another thumbnail then hits the back button. The first image then records 2 hits making it seem like 2 people have looked at the image.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 9, 2007
    The problem I've been trying to point out since the update and the main issue is the new version of the smugmug style is incorrectly recording total image views on everything but thumbnails. Every time an image is seen it records a hit. It is supposed to record unique image views, ie. record a hit only once per browser session no matter how many times the image is seen. The help section on stats describes this at the bottom under "where are these hits coming from." The other gallery styles are working correctly, it's just the new version of the smugmug style.

For example if someone looks at an image in a glallery then clicks on another thumbnail then hits the back button. The first image then records 2 hits making it seem like 2 people have looked at the image.
    That is actually how it is supposed to work (perhaps contrary to our lagged help section). We made that change at the same time.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Sheaf wrote:
    That is actually how it is supposed to work (perhaps contrary to our lagged help section). We made that change at the same time.
    Well it's only doing it on the new smugmug style and none of the others. And at the top of the stats page it says, "Legend: Hits = unique photo views"

It seems that unique views is a much more relevent stat to have than total views. You can see how many actual people have viewed the images. Total views can't tell the difference between people looking at an image over and over and new people looking at it. And say if an image was posted on a forum. If people keep refreshing to see if there are any/read any new posts the total view count would keep going up even though no new people may have seen the image.

EDIT:
    It looks like what is happening with the new smugmug style is that the page is requesting the image from the server each time as the bandwidth stat is going up and up for each view.

Does the new style not use cached images when it loads the gallery pages? Because just using the arrow keys to go back and forth downloads a new file each time. Which seems like a terrible waste of bandwidth.
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 9, 2007
    JFreeman wrote:
    Well it's only doing it on the new smugmug style and none of the others. And at the top of the stats page it says, "Legend: Hits = unique photo views"

It seems that unique views is a much more relevent stat to have than total views. You can see how many actual people have viewed the images. Total views can't tell the difference between people looking at an image over and over and new people looking at it. And say if an image was posted on a forum. If people keep refreshing to see if there are any/read any new posts the total view count would keep going up even though no new people may have seen the image.

EDIT:
    It looks like what is happening with the new smugmug style is that the page is requesting the image from the server each time as the bandwidth stat is going up and up for each view.

Does the new style not use cached images when it loads the gallery pages? Because just using the arrow keys to go back and forth downloads a new file each time. Which seems like a terrible waste of bandwidth.

Both stats are important and useful in my opinion, it just depends on what you want.

I don't have time right now to dig too deeply into the cache thing, but I suspect that the bandwidth estimation may be increasing in accordance with views, not with how many times the photo was actually downloaded.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2007
    Stats don't seem to be working for external sites accessing pics directly. I've put up some pics here, and up to now (1500, GMT+2) there have been 20 views of this thread, yet stats only shows one view of the pics.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Stats don't seem to be working for external sites accessing pics directly. I've put up some pics here, and up to now (1500, GMT+2) there have been 20 views of this thread, yet stats only shows one view of the pics.
    Give it some time.
    Let us know in 24 hours.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Give it some time.
    Let us know in 24 hours.
    Now 36 hours, still no change.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Now 36 hours, still no change.
    Now close to 60 hours. Current views on thread I mentioned: 150. Views on pics in that thread according to stats: 2, 2, 5 (been like that since Saturday). ???
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Now close to 60 hours. Current views on thread I mentioned: 150. Views on pics in that thread according to stats: 2, 2, 5 (been like that since Saturday). ???
    Al.... it's probably the same people visiting the thread, and they have the image cached locally.

I have again validated the stats. I went to your bug gallery, specifically the 2nd to last image, then opened the image in a NEW browser, and I looked at it a couple times in medium, then once in large.

you can see:

BEFORE:
    129514642-L.jpg

AFTER:
    129514657-L.jpg

So the feature is for sure working.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Not sure I agree. I put some pics up on Dgrin on this thread and there have been 30 hits on the thread since I put them up, yet the stat counters on those pics have not changed.

I know that more people have looked at those beetles, as after I made my second post I bumped the thread on POTN and two further people responded to it.

As I said (implied) in my first post, if you look at the pic from SM, the counter goes up (which is what you did), from an external link, no change.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Not sure I agree. I put some pics up on Dgrin on this thread and there have been 30 hits on the thread since I put them up, yet the stat counters on those pics have not changed.

I know that more people have looked at those beetles, as after I made my second post I bumped the thread on POTN and two further people responded to it.

As I said (implied) in my first post, if you look at the pic from SM, the counter goes up (which is what you did), from an external link, no change.
    Hmm.... I SEE IT... I'll ask one of the team to try and replicate, too, and then see what needs to be done.

Sorry for the hassle Big-Al
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hmm.... I SEE IT... I'll ask one of the team to try and replicate, too, and then see what needs to be done.

Sorry for the hassle Big-Al
    No hassle, just trying to get everything working the way it used to mwink.gif
  • Options
    Mr ZoomMr Zoom Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 14, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Give it some time.
    Let us know in 24 hours.

I'd like to weigh in on this one Andy,

The individual photo hit counts for photos viewed on Smugmug are working correctly - no problems that I can see.

Individual photo hit counts for photos that are linked to and shared in forums are not being incrementally counted.

Most of my monthly traffic is from forum sharing as opposed to direct gallery views. My forum threads and images are reasonably popular. By this time of the month I should have about 6 gigs of bandwidth usage and several tens of thousands of hits on the images I am sharing. So far this month I only have about 10k photo hits (mostly thumbnails) and only 1.4 gigs of total bandwidth usage showing in the control panel. That is clearly wrong.

Since the recent Smugmug site changes, the direct linked photo counts have been not working. I find this a very useful feature as it gives me some indication as to the popularity of a particular photo or thread. If I get a lot of hits but no comments I know that my photos stink and I need to work on improving my subject matter interest.

It's not a matter of me not knowing how the system used to work. I've been watching the stats closely for months and I know what to expect when I view them. Something has changed at your end and I would prefer that if there is a fix possible you and your team look into. I am sure I am not the only one who finds this feature a valuable tool and one I will sorely miss if you can't get it working again.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.

Ken
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Welcome to dGrin Mr. Zoom.

It was a pleasure reading your carefully crafted post. Hang around a while, as I'm sure you would be a valuable member to the forum.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2007
    Mr Zoom wrote:
    I'd like to weigh in on this one Andy,

The individual photo hit counts for photos viewed on Smugmug are working correctly - no problems that I can see.

Individual photo hit counts for photos that are linked to and shared in forums are not being incrementally counted.

Most of my monthly traffic is from forum sharing as opposed to direct gallery views. My forum threads and images are reasonably popular. By this time of the month I should have about 6 gigs of bandwidth usage and several tens of thousands of hits on the images I am sharing. So far this month I only have about 10k photo hits (mostly thumbnails) and only 1.4 gigs of total bandwidth usage showing in the control panel. That is clearly wrong.

Since the recent Smugmug site changes, the direct linked photo counts have been not working. I find this a very useful feature as it gives me some indication as to the popularity of a particular photo or thread. If I get a lot of hits but no comments I know that my photos stink and I need to work on improving my subject matter interest.

It's not a matter of me not knowing how the system used to work. I've been watching the stats closely for months and I know what to expect when I view them. Something has changed at your end and I would prefer that if there is a fix possible you and your team look into. I am sure I am not the only one who finds this feature a valuable tool and one I will sorely miss if you can't get it working again.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.

Ken
    wave.gif Hi Ken, and yes, WELCOME to Dgrin :D

We've double-confirmed it, and we've logged the bug, that the external views are not being incremented. I'm sure that our CEO and Chief Geek will fix it, but I can't say when, I'm sorry.

Stay tuned and hang in there. Thanks in advance for your patience.

PS: Big Al, thank you, for your persistence in this, too bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    PS: Big Al, thank you, for your persistence in this, too bowdown.gif
    Any news yet? I see it's still broken...
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    Any news yet? I see it's still broken...
    My post right above yours.... sorry I can't say more, and wish I had a better answer for you, Al.
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    Bump...
    Andy wrote:
    My post right above yours.... sorry I can't say more, and wish I had a better answer for you, Al.
    "Most of my monthly traffic is from forum sharing as opposed to direct gallery views."

This point is quite informative.

Can we hear more about its progress?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    Repetitive Most Popular Photo...s
    Andy wrote:

I am finding that the photo ranking for Most Popular Photo is becoming confusing.

I have several ranked twice because I created a Peoples Choice gallery to emphasize the individual galleries. How can I avoid such repetition?

I have learned I influence the total MPP count while maintaining the account; how can I avoid that as I maintain BistiArt?

How can I reset MPP so I can see March figures which should mostly be public gallery viewers?

I hope this is the right place to put these queries...
    Joe

[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    I am finding that the photo ranking for Most Popular Photo is becoming confusing.

I have several ranked twice because I created a Peoples Choice gallery to emphasize the individual galleries. How can I avoid such repetition?

I have learned I influence the total MPP count while maintaining the account; how can I avoid that as I maintain BistiArt?
    How can I reset MPP so I can see March figures which should mostly be public gallery viewers?

I hope this is the right place to put these queries...
    We don't have a way to reset, sorry. If you rotate the photos, then rotate them back though, they will reset to zero.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Thanks Andy
    Andy wrote:
    We don't have a way to reset, sorry. If you rotate the photos, then rotate them back though, they will reset to zero.
    Sorry to be oblique...

When I go to the pics of MPP, I dont see a rotate command.

Here is what I do see...

So, what should I do now?
    Joe

[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Sorry to be oblique...

When I go to the pics of MPP, I dont see a rotate command.

Here is what I do see...

So, what should I do now?
    You rotate the photos from within their gallery. Photo Tools>Rotate photos.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-tools-menu
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/rotating-photos
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Rotate Tool
    Andy wrote:
    You rotate the photos from within their gallery. Photo Tools>Rotate photos.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/photo-tools-menu
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/rotating-photos

Much obliged...

Our camera club invents special tools for Photoshop when we show digital images.

I appreciate your help, Andy!
    Joe

[/FONT]