Options

replace my 300mm Canon lens

13»

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Thank you, Lynn, Michiel. I was out shooting the rest of the afternoon and into the evening.

Then I worked it all up. I will say I didn't get anything. Not that I like. I went to the other side of Shem Creek, great sunset, lots of good stuff, I just didn't get anything that I like.

From what you two did with hand holding the lenses at 1/30th, it looks like it shoots as I would expect, so that is great. I ended up at 1 sec tonight, and 1/2 a sec, all impossibles. And I got exposures confused on the sunsets, couldn't figure out how to expose them. There were a few egrets on one side of the dirt rd and a heron on the other, so I underexposed the heron, never did get a good egret........or a good heron. It wasn't meant to be, no water for reflections, the heron blended into the surroundings just like I am sure nature meant him to, but he was not photogenic. By the time he was close enough to me, it was so dark, I took like 10 shots, one is clear, but there is not much color because it was so dark. I want to know what kind of heron he is, so I will have to show Harry, but the whole thing was disappointing.

I did learn of new wetlands today........... a bit closer than the last ones I heard of, but not close enough that I want to put those miles on my car every day. I am going to go check it out with Bill on Sunday. I will definitely buy that lens and camera, if the prices stay down, if I can sell my camera and the kit lens, by the time the tax stuff gets done. The lens looks good to me.

Thanks,
    what kind of eye drops do you all use, this is killing my eyes.:D Seriously. Oh, and my batteries drain faster in the cold.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thank you, Lynn, Michiel. I was out shooting the rest of the afternoon and into the evening.

Then I worked it all up. I will say I didn't get anything. Not that I like. I went to the other side of Shem Creek, great sunset, lots of good stuff, I just didn't get anything that I like.

From what you two did with hand holding the lenses at 1/30th, it looks like it shoots as I would expect, so that is great. I ended up at 1 sec tonight, and 1/2 a sec, all impossibles. And I got exposures confused on the sunsets, couldn't figure out how to expose them. There were a few egrets on one side of the dirt rd and a heron on the other, so I underexposed the heron, never did get a good egret........or a good heron. It wasn't meant to be, no water for reflections, the heron blended into the surroundings just like I am sure nature meant him to, but he was not photogenic. By the time he was close enough to me, it was so dark, I took like 10 shots, one is clear, but there is not much color because it was so dark. I want to know what kind of heron he is, so I will have to show Harry, but the whole thing was disappointing.

I did learn of new wetlands today........... a bit closer than the last ones I heard of, but not close enough that I want to put those miles on my car every day. I am going to go check it out with Bill on Sunday. I will definitely buy that lens and camera, if the prices stay down, if I can sell my camera and the kit lens, by the time the tax stuff gets done. The lens looks good to me.

Thanks,
    what kind of eye drops do you all use, this is killing my eyes.:D Seriously. Oh, and my batteries drain faster in the cold.
    Ginger I sold my 75-300 old lens on ebay for nearly what I paid for it!! Don't use eye drops (you can addicted to them ya know) you just have to suffer for your art rolleyes1.gif glad the terrible yard shots were helpful .. and remember I DO NOT have a steady hand.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2005
    FAU4U wrote:
    I went to your site. The pics are great.

As to your comment/question, the shutter speed is set on the digital camera, the "f" stop is set through the camera to the lens. So most/all of the lenses discussed in this forum are attached to cameras that have focul/plane shutters which are resident in the camera. SO if your camera can expose at 1/2000sec then you can use that setting assuming you have enough light, etc.

JimWilson
    Thanks jim...i wasnt sure. We get heaps of light in this part of the world & i may choose a lens that has a higher f/stop to start with at the motorsport meetings i intend to shoot. We are spoilt & if it gets overcast....no-one goes out much.

Tks for the compliment re my stuff.