>>> LPS#4 Semifinalists List!

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited May 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Congratulations are in order, the 10 dgrinners below are now qualified for the semifinal starting May 14!

:clap:clap:clap:clap

147919935-L.jpg
Post 33 - Greensquared - Soil Sample

145108729-L.jpg
Post 10 - richtersl - I Just Want to be Human

145726878-L.jpg
Post 16 - Dalantech - Frozen in Time

464916057_733951ec49_o.jpg
Post 5 - bgaras2001 - new life

146530321-L.jpg
Post 18 - kingmamaof2 - I Saw Her Move

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1819
Post 32 - osoi - Off With Their Heads!

147551181-L.jpg
Post 30 - seastack - Morning Fog

147877388-O.jpg
Post 71 - JFreeman - Setting Lights During Tech Rehearsal for Dracula

attachment.php?attachmentid=18885&stc=1&d=1177738321
Post 53 - ultravox - Evolution.

146439887-L.jpg
Post 25 - sherstone - "slice of life"

And a first for the Last Photographer Standing contest, A breakdown on the voting!

Position - Points - Photographer
1 - 32 - Greensquared
2 - 23 - richtersi
3 - 22 - Dalantech
4 - 21 - bgaras2001
5 - 16 - kingmamaof2
6 - 16 - osoi
7 - 15 - seastack
8 - 10 - jfreeman
9 - 10 - ultravox
10 - 10 - sherstone
11 - 9 - Povertybarn
12 - 8 - DRabbit
13 - 8 - sser
14 - 7 - JimW
15 - 7 - eoren1
16 - 6 - chertioga
17 - 6 - sunione
18 - 5 - vandana
19 - 5 - pyroPrints.com
20 - 5 - LiquidAir
21 - 4 - anwmn1
22 - 4 - speck26
23 - 4 - Annie222
24 - 3 - Aurora
25 - 3 - Tessa HD
26 - 3 - urbanaries
27 - 3 - heatherfeather
28 - 3 - shatch
29 - 2 - ristyz
30 - 2 - indiegirl
31 - 2 - annnna8888
32 - 1 - alex
33 - 1 - s.shinjin
34 - 1 - dizzy
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congrats!
    WTG, everybody! thumb.gif
    Special congrats for seastack: 3 out of 4! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • osoiosoi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Great Job to all who were selected... And to all try, there were some awsome photos in this round...thumb.gif

deal.gif omg i made it.... wings.gif
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Wow -I'm humbled to be in the company of some really great artists! Thanks!! :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    wow... that was very humbling... not even one vote. and I even thought I had some chances judging from the unnoficial popular votes...

next time I promisse I won't forget the title :cry
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    WTG, everybody! thumb.gif
    Special congrats for seastack: 3 out of 4! clap.gif

Ah man, you're keeping track ... thanks Nikolai. And thanks to Shay and the Tabulatron3000 for posting the rankings, helps give some insight into the judging. Very helpful.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Ah man, you're keeping track ...
    Like you don't :-) mwink.gif
    Of course I do, I wanna know who'm I competing with in May:-) :D
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JFreemanJFreeman Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Thanks guys, there's some amazing photographers there to be competing with come the middle of May
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Great shots! clap.gif

6 artificial, 4 organic. Again a pretty even split. I definitely had trouble with this theme. I think fewer entries showed that others did, too.

I expect a *lot* more shots for LPS #5!
    Chris
  • lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Great choices, wonderful entries, congrats to the ones now movin' on.
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congrats everyone, great entries thumb.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
  • sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations Everyone!
    I'm honored to squeak into the 10th spot.

Lot's of surprises in this round, many I liked didn't even get one vote. headscratch.gif
    Thank you Shay for the breakdown that is very valuable information.

A big thank you to all the judges and the time they took to bring us
    this excitement!
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    OMG! Thank you v.much. I am still not beliveing this. To be selected amoung such wonderful semifinalists. For me, a day to remeber.wings.gif

LE. original sized down with EXIF (just for the record.deal.gif)
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Oh dear, not a single vote, rejection I can handle, but delusion, that's a whole different can of worms.

Still looking at other entries that received no votes, I'm in good company.

Charlie
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Okay, I am shocked, stunned, humbled and totally ecstatic! wings.gif I was just so happy to have found this forum and be truly inspired by you all, and now this! Thank you, thank you to everyone who has offered me encouragement and support (especially Fashiznitsngrins!). Congrats to the other SFs too - awesome job!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

edited May 1, 2007
    Okay, I am shocked, stunned, humbled and totally ecstatic! wings.gif I was just so happy to have found this forum and be truly inspired by you all, and now this! Thank you, thank you to everyone who has offered me encouragement and support (especially Fashiznitzngrins!). Congrats to the other SFs too - awesome job!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Well done Greensquared, your image is in a different league to most of the other entries and I'm glad the voting reflected this.

I'm looking forward to following your progress through the competition.

Charlie
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Wow -I'm humbled to be in the company of some really great artists! Thanks!! :cool

First of all congratulations to all semi-finalists this go aroundclap.gif "Soil sample" is especally noteworthy!

Dalentech... Very interesting shot, not one of my choices though; I guess because I don't understand what I'm looking at? Maybe because I haven't delved into macro photography... anyway someone please educate me? Is it artificial or organic? And what is the small flower? A reflection in a drop of water or a refrigerator magnet like my wife thinks?headscratch.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks
    Winston
    edited May 1, 2007
    First of all congratulations to all semi-finalists this go aroundclap.gif "Soil sample" is especally noteworthy!

Dalentech... Very interesting shot, not one of my choices though; I guess because I don't understand what I'm looking at? Maybe because I haven't delved into macro photography... anyway someone please educate me? Is it artificial or organic? And what is the small flower? A reflection in a drop of water or a refrigerator magnet like my wife thinks?headscratch.gifbowdown.gif

Thanks
    Winston

I turned my kitchen sink into a studio for that one. It's a water drop falling in front of a flower and I used the flash to freeze its motion. The flower behind it (out of focus and in the upper left corner) is refracted in the drop. The real trick is getting the image of the flower in the drop in focus. I took that shot hand held and about a dozen frames before I got the drop where I wanted it. I was shooting at the minimum focusing distance of the lens (Canon's 100mm) so it is a true macro photograph (life size magnification).

Minimal post processing on the computer: I cloned out a small reflection from the flash and did a minor levels adjustment and bumped the highlights by about 5 percent. I also cloned out some of the flower in the background (odd reflection from getting damp). Spent all of five minutes in Photoshop Elements before I saved the RAW file as a jpg...

As for the theme: I looked up the word "organic" in the dictionary and one of the definitions is this:

"Fine Arts. of or pertaining to the shapes or forms in a work of art that are of irregular contour and seem to resemble or suggest forms found in nature."

So I went looking for a way to shoot something organic, to suggest the shape, but not to shoot it directly...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I turned my kitchen sink into a studio for that one. It's a water drop falling in front of a flower and I used the flash to freeze its motion. The flower behind it (out of focus and in the upper left corner) is refracted in the drop. The real trick is getting the image of the flower in the drop in focus. I took that shot hand held and about a dozen frames before I got the drop where I wanted it. I was shooting at the minimum focusing distance of the lens (Canon's 100mm) so it is a true macro photograph (life size magnification).

Minimal post processing on the computer: I cloned out a small reflection from the flash and did a minor levels adjustment and bumped the highlights by about 5 percent. I also cloned out some of the flower in the background (odd reflection from getting damp). Spent all of five minutes in Photoshop Elements before I saved the RAW file as a jpg...

As for the theme: I looked up the word "organic" in the dictionary and one of the definitions is this:

"Fine Arts. of or pertaining to the shapes or forms in a work of art that are of irregular contour and seem to resemble or suggest forms found in nature."

So I went looking for a way to shoot something organic, to suggest the shape, but not to shoot it directly...

Absolutely amazing! I never would have guessed thumb.gif Thanks so much for the explanation!

Winston
  • MaxThompsonMaxThompson Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations to all - the "Soil Sample" is the best! These are all great shots!
    Max

• kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations to all the qualifiers!~and thanks Shay for the breakdown of points/votes. It obviously was a tough round to judge.thumb.gif Great job guys!
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Oh dear, not a single vote, rejection I can handle, but delusion, that's a whole different can of worms.

Still looking at other entries that received no votes, I'm in good company.

Charlie

Not to worry Charlie......I'm with you on this one mwink.gif. Here, I thought my idea was incredibly creative....here's the great part of it.....we learned tons of new stuff! Yaaaa!

Congrats everyone for participating and way to go top 10ers clap.gif There were many many great entries this time around, so if your's didn't make it, don't fret. Go get the next one. thumb.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Green2Green2 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations!
    Okay, I am shocked, stunned, humbled and totally ecstatic! wings.gif I was just so happy to have found this forum and be truly inspired by you all, and now this! Thank you, thank you to everyone who has offered me encouragement and support (especially Fashiznitsngrins!). Congrats to the other SFs too - awesome job!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Congratulations Emily! Great shot!
    I am happy that you found some inspiration here.
    This is a great community and forum. Well done. Thank you all for sharing and helping.

Congratulations to all of the other qualifiers! There are some really talented artists here.

Yes - we are related, and what is wrong with a little healthy competition amongst family members?

....Now, what to do for LPS #5 now that I have de-lurked.....headscratch.gif
    Todd
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I am in shock
    But it's a very happy state of shock. wings.gif There were some phenomenal entries this go-around and I was afraid to even open this thread this morning.

The encouragement and support from everyone here has been fantastic! You guys are the best cheerleaders! cheerleader.gifiloveyou.gif

Congrats to all the other semi-finalists!!! clap.gif
    edited May 1, 2007
    Swartzy wrote:
    Not to worry Charlie......I'm with you on this one mwink.gif. Here, I thought my idea was incredibly creative....here's the great part of it.....we learned tons of new stuff! Yaaaa!

Congrats everyone for participating and way to go top 10ers clap.gif There were many many great entries this time around, so if your's didn't make it, don't fret. Go get the next one. thumb.gif

I've certainly learnt a few things, not sure they'll improve my photography mind. headscratch.gif

Charlie
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    congrats everyone!
    that was fun!

Tessa HD
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • JillGJillG Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congrats to all the winnersclap.gifclap and to all who entered. Thanks also to the judges for their time and effort. It's a joy for me to see all the different takes on the themes ( sometimes I'm really surprised ):D and be involved in some of the works in progress. This challenge, as Shay probably intended, is making me think outside of my own little box. Of course I'd LOVE to qualify and I still have almost a year rolleyes1.gif
    Jill
    Jill
    edited May 1, 2007
    Absolutely amazing! I never would have guessed thumb.gif Thanks so much for the explanation!

Winston

Anytime :)
    My SmugMug Gallery

• TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    padu wrote:
    wow... that was very humbling... not even one vote. and I even thought I had some chances judging from the unnoficial popular votes...

next time I promisse I won't forget the title :cry

Your photo was a winner in my book, but I guess cuz you forgot the title that was a factor..Don't feel bad, I didn't get any votes either, good luck in the next round!! thumb.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Your photo was a winner in my book, but I guess cuz you forgot the title that was a factor..Don't feel bad, I didn't get any votes either, good luck in the next round!! thumb.gif

Thanks for the encouraging words...

The bummer is that I actually HAD a title for the picture, just forgot to include :cry

In case anybody want to know (which I doubt), the title is "Allura Red"... which is one of the FDA's approved food colorant.
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations
    To the semi finalists and all who entered.