gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Be empirical.
    Got it thumb.gif

Now......... who needs some holes dug ?

em·pir·i·cal (ĕm-pîr'ĭ-kəl) pron.gif
    adj.
      1. Relying on or derived from observation or experiment: empirical results that supported the hypothesis.
      2. Verifiable or provable by means of observation or experiment: empirical laws.

[*]Guided by practical experience and not theory, especially in medicine.
    1. Options
      Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
      edited January 28, 2005
      Humungus wrote:
      em·pir·i·cal (ĕm-pîr'ĭ-kəl) pron.gif
      Yo 'Mungus, where's tha sound?????
      *In my mind it IS real*
      Michiel de Brieder
      http://www.digital-eye.nl
    2. Options
      AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
      edited January 28, 2005
      the real moral...
      rutt wrote:
      I was talking about powerbooks in this instance. My quote in this instance was:
      On the other hand, I really can't tell you a good notebook service story right now. I think maybe Apple is OK cause you can go to the Apple store. I guess if you only have a dog slow processor to sell, you need something: a cool looking case and real service.
      On the other hand, I think you've been bitten by the magical Apple marketing bug. Anyone can pick a benchmark and test their own machine and others and win. Look at this thread. You can cut to the chase and look at the table of results. Notice that the best measured time is quad Xeon. Dual Xeon 2.4MHz is still 37% faster than the results that Andy reported on this very thread.

Moral: Why be a dweeb? No computer is perfect. No computer company is on your side. No piece of software (os or application) is without bugs or warts. Grow up. Do your own benchmarks if it matters a lot. Be empirical.

folks will use what they are comfortable with. in the end, what's the difference if it takes 13 seconds or 19 seconds to do that test on fred miranda? none, really, for 98.44% of people i'd reckon... *but* there *is* a huge difference between 188 seconds and either of the faster results, be they on dual xeons or dual proc mac.

i'll say this: there *is* a difference in pricing, the dual wintel boxes are roughly $1000 more when i priced them vs. the apple g5. so, that's fairly compelling to me, becuase the speed difference isn't that big a deal. still, in the end, folks are going to buy what they are comfortable with.... and if you have apps that require windows, then the point is fairly moot, that person's not gonna switch anyhow :D

i can see why apple people are so zealous, everything about the gear is just so cool... but to me, it's like choosing a camera ... you pick the right tool for the job. in the end, both types of systems are gonna get you there.
    3. Options
      ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
      edited January 28, 2005
      andy wrote:
      i can see why apple people are so zealous, everything about the gear is just so cool... but to me, it's like choosing a camera ... you pick the right tool for the job. in the end, both types of systems are gonna get you there.
      Wise words, Andy. I know I lose it a little when people like fish, who normally have perfectly good bad attitudes, leave them at the door when it comes to computer systems.
      If not now, when?
    4. Options
      pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
      edited January 28, 2005
      rutt wrote:
      Wise words, Andy. I know I lose it a little when people like fish, who normally have perfectly good bad attitudes, leave them at the door when it comes to computer systems.

Ahhh, John, John, Tell us what you really think! :D:D:D
      Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    5. Options
      fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
      edited January 28, 2005
      rutt wrote:
      perfectly good bad attitudes

well? which is it, rutt? you can't have it both ways. rolleyes1.gif
      "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
      "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    6. Options
      ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
      edited January 28, 2005
      fish wrote:
      well? which is it, rutt? you can't have it both ways. rolleyes1.gif
      A bad attitude is a terrible thing to waste.
      If not now, when?
    7. Options
      DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
      edited January 28, 2005
      GREAPER wrote:
      Actually, My boys go to a private school, with a VERY up to date computer lab, and they are required to use a floppy to save things on to bring to and from class. For many smaller files like text, spreadsheets, etc they are agreat way to move things from platform to platform. I have been sorry several times that my laptop does not have a floppy drive.
      your boys must have an endless supply of disks! What a crappy policy for an "up to date" school.

Last time I went through a box of 10 disks, there was 2 that became faulty after 1 format. I think that's why they have become outdated, the LEAST secure/stable format that exists. Also, after that box episode, a few months ago, I went through all the old disks here in the lab and threw out 75% of them because there were too corrupt to recover. Mind you all of them are between 1-3 years old - thats not THAT old. Wow, what a crappy medium.
      Erik
      moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

8. Options
      edited January 28, 2005
      rutt wrote:
      A bad attitude is a terrible thing to waste.
      A bad attitude is better than no attitude. thumb.gif
      "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
      "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    9. Options
      NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
      edited January 28, 2005
      You're right, there is not!
      fish wrote:
      Funny...I never thought there was such a thing as a wintel bigot. rolleyes1.gif
      Only Apple seem to produce such an attitude:feelgood .
      I just work with PCs:baldy, I don't fall in love with a piece of electronics. :tuesday
      And I frankly don't understand those who do yelrotflmao.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
      "May the f/stop be with you!"
    10. Options
      wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
      edited February 5, 2005
      How do you like the LCD? Have you had a chance to use it for photo editing?
    11. Options
      luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
      edited February 6, 2005
      I love the look of the Mac, but I liked the look of BetaMax too. Today I bought some great computer games, PC only. What a shame. Come to think of it, BetaMax had the same issues.
    12. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      I like it a lot!
      wmsnyder wrote:
      How do you like the LCD? Have you had a chance to use it for photo editing?
      I use two monitors at work, but this wide screen kinda makes it alone. I was mostly using the system to code (I was away from my smugmug explorer for almost two weeks, got a lot of stuff I simply had to put my hands on:-), but I definitely tried PS on it, too. (as well as Half-Life 2:-).
      PS is very nice on a wide screen: all the tools sit nicely on the sides, while I can open the picture almost full screen and still have some screen real estate to spare.
      And, the coolest part: vertical shots can be viewed vertically, as far as the display rotates (very easily). And, I can tell you - it's awesome! Both ATI (original card) and nVidia (my current one) has s/w to support this rotation in one click, so it's a great option to have.

Cheers!1drink.gif
    13. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      fish wrote:
      Funnily, I haven't come across a website that couldn't be displayed in either safari or firefox/mozilla. Could be they're running downrev OS and browser. ne_nau.gif

fish, go here and try two things: first, click on the picture, it's supposed to simply open in place to full width. next, go to the menus on the left (cameras, news, forum, etc) when you float your mouse over them, submenus are supposed to pop out... finally, have you tried typing messages here in dgrin with anything but basic test only editing enabled in your user cp>edit options>editor interface? the typing is very slow, definitely a safari issue.
    14. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      Nikolai wrote:
      And, the coolest part: vertical shots can be viewed vertically, as far as the display rotates (very easily). And, I can tell you - it's awesome! Both ATI (original card) and nVidia (my current one) has s/w to support this rotation in one click, so it's a great option to have.

Cheers!1drink.gif

hey nik, that's cool :D can you show a pic of how that works?
    15. Options
      lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
      edited February 6, 2005
      rotate monitor
      andy wrote:
      I'm not trying to answer for him but what I think he means is (because I use it also) is he can rotate is moniotr and work on a 'vertical' display. I don't have a pic (sorry), but I use "Pivot Pro" on my monitors. One click and a simple rotation of my monitor (90, 80, 270 degrees) and I have a different display. What I like about it is if I am working on a "portrait", I rotate my monitor 90 degrees and my "working space" is greater on my 19" LCD. I'll try to take a picture...

Brian
    16. Options
      lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
      edited February 6, 2005
      picture
      andy wrote:
      I rotated my 19" on the right 90 degrees, hit one button, and now I have a bigger working area for vertical pictures.

BTW, the "blue monster" on bottom left is my newest PC that I had custom built (very inexpensively I might add). P4, a few GB of RAM, 3 HD's, blah blah blah. Not picutred is my external 300GB I use to transfer data between my 2 beasts.

Oh! And the space to the left of the monitor was where my PowerMac G4 was for... for 2 days. I still have the DVI and internet cord there as a reminder. I am not sad though - I enjoy my PCs.

And you know what else (I've digressed), I don't have any games for my PC. Not that I'm opposed to them, just don't have the time and I'd prefer to use the PS2 for games. And the funny thing is, my relatives (who own a Mac) buy me games every Christmas. Is this is a sick inside joke among you Mac people?!

Take care,
      Brian
    17. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      lr1811 wrote:
      I rotated my 19" on the right 90 degrees, hit one button, and now I have a bigger working area for vertical pictures.

BTW, the "blue monster" on bottom left is my newest PC that I had custom built (very inexpensively I might add). P4, a few GB of RAM, 3 HD's, blah blah blah. Not picutred is my external 300GB I use to transfer data between my 2 beasts.

Oh! And the space to the left of the monitor was where my PowerMac G4 was for... for 2 days. I still have the DVI and internet cord there as a reminder. I am not sad though - I enjoy my PCs.

And you know what else (I've digressed), I don't have any games for my PC. Not that I'm opposed to them, just don't have the time and I'd prefer to use the PS2 for games. And the funny thing is, my relatives (who own a Mac) buy me games every Christmas. Is this is a sick inside joke among you Mac people?!

Take care,
      Brian

very very cool, brian thumb.gif
    18. Options
      wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
      edited February 6, 2005
      Years ago a girlfriend helped edit a newsletter, she had a Mac with a rotating screen like that. Very cool.
      Sid.
      Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
      http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    19. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      Here you are:
      andy wrote:
      Sherwood Castle:
      15431052-M-Sherwood_Castle.jpg

Ginger:
      15431163-M-Ginger.jpg
      "It's always about the food":
      15430880-M-Shrimp_Fajitas.jpg

BTW, I was kinda hoping to see the pikhas of your setup with that 30" cinema monster of yours:-).. Did I miss the post?

Cheers!1drink.gif
    20. Options
      DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
      edited February 6, 2005
      wxwax wrote:
      Years ago a girlfriend helped edit a newsletter, she had a Mac with a rotating screen like that. Very cool.

Yeah, I first heard of that kind of screen mebbe 12 years ago.

And I've hardly heard about them since. Always wondered why there weren't more of them around.
      Moderator Emeritus
      Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    21. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      To be completely honest
      DavidTO wrote:
      Yeah, I first heard of that kind of screen mebbe 12 years ago.

And I've hardly heard about them since. Always wondered why there weren't more of them around.
      I think it's simply too expensive to produce them, and not enough shoppers to fall for them. I really like the feature (and it was one of the things which made me to buy it), but I found myself enjoying 'wide' part much more than a "tall" one. Besides, while it's really easy to rotate, it also screws up the screen layout (I have some desktop elements positioned on the bottom right corner). And all the tools and apps, they are smart enough to remember their own position and layout, but they are not smart enough to also being able to switch when orientation changes. And I use quite a few simultaneously ..

So, I guess I'm saying that while it's nice and cool, I would probably only use it if I'm gonna spend a considerable amount of time in that vertical orientation.

Or, of course, to show-off, which is a VERY important thing:-)thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
    22. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      Nikolai wrote:

BTW, I was kinda hoping to see the pikhas of your setup with that 30" cinema monster of yours:-).. Did I miss the post?

Cheers!1drink.gif

sure looks way cool, nik thumb.gif thanks for sharing the pics bowdown.gif

here's my setup:
      http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=5477
    23. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      andy wrote:
      fish, go here and try two things: first, click on the picture, it's supposed to simply open in place to full width. next, go to the menus on the left (cameras, news, forum, etc) when you float your mouse over them, submenus are supposed to pop out... finally, have you tried typing messages here in dgrin with anything but basic test only editing enabled in your user cp>edit options>editor interface? the typing is very slow, definitely a safari issue.
      I have to use firefox for dgrin, but it works quite nicely.
    24. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      fish wrote:
      I have to use firefox for dgrin, but it works quite nicely.

i tried, had the same problem... firefox from mozilla...

may try camino that's 'posed to work bettah on this site
    25. Options
      edited February 6, 2005
      Wow, great setup man!
      andy wrote:
      sure looks way cool, nik thumb.gif thanks for sharing the pics bowdown.gif
      Thanks!:D
      andy wrote:
      thumb.gif
      What can I say? When I'm rich like you I'm gonna get me something like that:D
      Cheers!1drink.gif
    26. Options
      dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
      edited February 6, 2005
      andy wrote:
      i tried, had the same problem... firefox from mozilla...

may try camino that's 'posed to work bettah on this site
      Firefox seems to work fine for me. I just tried Camino & it was slow like Safari.

The only problem i have w/ Firefox is how slow the scrolling is. There must be a setting somewhere that speeds things up.

Dave
    27. Options
      wmsnyderwmsnyder Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
      edited February 9, 2005
      Nikolai wrote:
      I use two monitors at work, but this wide screen kinda makes it alone. I was mostly using the system to code (I was away from my smugmug explorer for almost two weeks, got a lot of stuff I simply had to put my hands on:-), but I definitely tried PS on it, too. (as well as Half-Life 2:-).

How about color calibration? Does it have contols for calibrating the screen?
      Bill
    28. Options
      edited February 9, 2005
      Same here
      wmsnyder wrote:
      How about color calibration? Does it have contols for calibrating the screen?
      Bill
      Yes, it does have both onscreen calibration controls from the monitor itself and I also got some tools with GeForce card, which kinda do the same thing from the tray icon.

HTH

Nik
    29. Options
      DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
      edited February 17, 2005
      Not exactly the same thing, but interesting, none-the-less:

23" Cinema Display in Portrait Mode
      Moderator Emeritus
      Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops