Options

Emergency Maintenance - May 25th, 2007

2»

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Gotcha: private galleries will not show up in visitor searches on your SmugMug pages, but password-protected albums will. Keywords for private galleries won't work for visitors, but will for you when you're logged in.
    I've read that and I'm not sure if I miss something. Does this anywhere imply the *timeline* feature working with private galleries as well when signed in?

Thansk,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Does this anywhere imply the *timeline* feature working with private galleries as well when signed in?

Thansk,
    Sebastian
    It does indeed work that way thumb.gif try it :D
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It does indeed work that way thumb.gif try it :D

Andy neglected to mention that you'll need to "toggle" your account somehow to enable this stuff. Couple of easy ways to do it:

- add a site-wide password, then remove it
    - pick a SmugIslands setting other than the default. Feel free to change it back afterwards.

That'll tell us to re-index your site, and we'll build private data for your eyes only on the following categories:

- searching
    - keywords
    - timeline
    - geography

Have fun!
  • Options
    MrWMrW Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Hi there.
    Can someone help me as to why I now have part of my bio text above my header?
    Many thanks. Martin R W
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    MrW wrote:
    Hi there.
    Many thanks. Martin R W
    Check again, should be all better now :)
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    MrW wrote:
    Hi there.
    Many thanks. Martin R W
    Log out and look, I don't see it here with Firefox or IE6.
    Might only be a logged in thing.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    MrWMrW Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Check again, should be all better now :)

clap.gif :ivar wings.gifclap.gif Many thanks mate clap.gifwings.gif :ivar clap.gif
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    Andy neglected to mention that you'll need to "toggle" your account somehow to enable this stuff. Couple of easy ways to do it:

- pick a SmugIslands setting other than the default. Feel free to change it back afterwards.

That'll tell us to re-index your site, and we'll build private data for your eyes only on the following categories:

- searching
    - keywords
    - timeline
    - geography

Have fun!

So, if I'm reading this right, you can use keywords with both password protected and private galleries. Is that correct? If so... bowdown.gif

What about password protected sites? I have a private personal site along with my pro site and would LOVE LOVE LOVE ot use keywords on that, too!

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

That'll tell us to re-index your site, and we'll build private data for your eyes only on the following categories
    Thanks, I think that was the key that was missing. Having done this the numbers started moving in my timeline! clap.gif

Now come on and rest Smugmug Team a little and enjoy the rest of the weekend!
    Best wishes from Leipzig, Germany to all of the Smugmug Team,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Gaahh!!!
    Hey there party people,

I just set / un-set my "hello world" settings, to get Smugmug to re-check my keywords.

Is there ANY way I can stop Smugmug from auto-gathering keywords from the image filename? That is really annoying, actually. I'd like the option to disable Smugmug from creating keywords out of filenames, AND disabling Smugmug from off-loading keywords that I input in Adobe Bridge. Adobe Bridge keywords are for my personal archival uses, not for marketing / advertising etc. I put dates, locations and couples names etc. in my Bridge keywords. I want my Smugmug keywords to simply be things like "wedding photography" and "wedding photojournalist" etc. etc.

I could thwart this by re-applying new keywords to all out-putted JPG files, of course. That wouldn't kill me. But at the very least I'm just annoyed that I now have a whole ton of random, un-related keywords that I now have to go through and systematically empty... Can anybody working behind the scenes just dump ALL my keywords for me, by any chance?

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    Hey there party people,

I just set / un-set my "hello world" settings, to get Smugmug to re-check my keywords.

Is there ANY way I can stop Smugmug from auto-gathering keywords from the image filename? That is really annoying, actually. I'd like the option to disable Smugmug from creating keywords out of filenames, AND disabling Smugmug from off-loading keywords that I input in Adobe Bridge. Adobe Bridge keywords are for my personal archival uses, not for marketing / advertising etc. I put dates, locations and couples names etc. in my Bridge keywords. I want my Smugmug keywords to simply be things like "wedding photography" and "wedding photojournalist" etc. etc.

I could thwart this by re-applying new keywords to all out-putted JPG files, of course. That wouldn't kill me. But at the very least I'm just annoyed that I now have a whole ton of random, un-related keywords that I now have to go through and systematically empty... Can anybody working behind the scenes just dump ALL my keywords for me, by any chance?

-Matt-

You can't do that, no, but you can use the bulk keywords tools to quickly nuke lots of them yourself.

Sorry!
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    You can't do that, no, but you can use the bulk keywords tools to quickly nuke lots of them yourself.
    Does the bulk keywords tool finally work with keywords as well instead of just galleries? That's very important to rename keywords for example that are spread over a whole lot of galleries.

Sebastian

EDIT: I'll answear that myself: NO, it still works just for the gallery the selected photo is in, without regard if they even have the keyword. Please give us more options here!
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    Does the bulk keywords tool finally work with keywords as well instead of just galleries? That's very important to rename keywords for example that are spread over a whole lot of galleries.

Sebastian

Yes, that's what I think I'm doing now. I click on a keyword and if i go to "edit captions / keywords BULK," it APPEARS as if I'm editing all THOSE keywords, regardless of galleries. But Don or someone can confirm...

-Matt-
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    onethumb wrote:

Sorry!

Gotcha. Here's my next question:

How do I get my keywords to "refresh" after I've deleted them all? If I go back into my control panel and set a site-wide PW and then un-set it, to force a keyword refresh, will that re-generate keywords from filenames?

I guess that just leaves me with waiting a few hours? That I suppose I can afford to do, but it gets harder and harder to find the remaining keywords I HAVEN'T deleted yet, when the already-deleted keywords are still showing up...

-Matt-
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    Yes, that's what I think I'm doing now. I click on a keyword and if i go to "edit captions / keywords BULK," it APPEARS as if I'm editing all THOSE keywords, regardless of galleries. But Don or someone can confirm...
    Yeah, I just tried it myself. You still have to hunt through every gallery and do the bulk there.

Or you could do a bulk on the first picture in the keyword gallery - removing just the word from every picture - that should leave all the other keywords untouched - then save and go back to the keyword gallery to bulk edit the remaining pictures.
    This way you always get a couple or even a whole lot at once depending on your gallery structure, but it's still a pain in the neck. rolleyes1.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007

Sebastian

EDIT: I'll answear that myself: NO, it still works just for the gallery the selected photo is in, without regard if they even have the keyword. Please give us more options here!

We've always had that feature. We may have broken it last night, but if you go into a keyword view and pick "edit keywords bulk", you should be good to go.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    onethumb wrote:
    We've always had that feature. We may have broken it last night, but if you go into a keyword view and pick "edit keywords bulk", you should be good to go.
    That's what I did.
    I've requested it before so it wasn't always there. It's possible that it has been there when I wasn't checking for it. But it isn't working now so you might have broken it.

Can someone else check it as well?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

EDIT: BEEP, got the post I (Antonio as well) requested a gallery independent bulk keywording back in May 2006.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2007
    Aaaannnnd, I can't bulk gallery the "hello world / hello smugmug" to OFF because bulk settings doesn't memorize it yet. Gah!

-Matt-

*Edit: Holy cow, can it be that the photo ranking TOO has STILL not been incorporated into "save settings below as..." tool??? This is not good. I'm not going through ALL my event galleries and disabling these features one by one. I want to be able to save a "public event gallery" preset that hides photo ranking and keywording, and bulk it to all public event galleries. Sooner than later... :-\

**Edit: Alright, it looks like I just need to save completely new bulk gallery presets, insead of over-writing old presets. I wish there was a way to clean up all my presets, delete the old ones or something. Possible?

***Edit: Hey cool, after 1 AM my keywords are refreshing nice and instantaneously! Ahh, I've got all my private galleries set to dis-allow search engines, I've got ALLLLL my keywords out finally, a clean slate...

...Now all I have to do is wait for SM to get "trans-gallery bulk keyword editing" back up, and I'll re-dump keywords... ...Tomorrow.
  • Options
    FAU4UFAU4U Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    OK, I'll byte: What is the "...major new feature..." any hints ?
    OK, I'll byte: What is the "...major new feature..." any hints since you'all are so close to giving birth...
    onethumb wrote:
    Hey all,

We missed releasing a major new feature during our maintenance window last night, but it's possible we'll attempt it tonight instead. If so, it'll be during the same hours: 20:00 Pacific tonight to 03:00 Pacific tomorrow morning. We're still testing, so I'm not sure yet if this is a go or a no go, but we'll keep you posted. Things are looking fairly good right now.

We are going to try something new tonight. If it doesn't work, please don't kill me, but we're gonna try to put the site into 'Read Only' mode so people can still browse your photos, see them embedded out on the net, etc.

But that means you won't be able to upload new photos, log in, edit captions, leave comments, etc. Only view. There will be a big notice on the top of each page letting you know the site is currently undergoing maintenance, is in read-only mode, and may go offline at any time.

There will probably be a few minutes here and there where the site may not be as speedy, but if this test goes well, it should remain mostly online throughout the release.

Wish us luck!
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2007
    FAU4U wrote:
    OK, I'll byte: What is the "...major new feature..." any hints since you'all are so close to giving birth...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=559332#post559332

and

http://www.breakitdownblog.com/2007/05/27/smugmug-rolls-out-islands-feature/