Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    I will be watching to see how it functions in the real world,
    Pure Apple. Signup / switching even, from T*Mobile, was a cinch - a few mins online and done. Instant synching of my Contacts, Calendar, email accounts (SmugMug and Gmail), photos, and music.

So far, so good! I dig the form factor, and the screen quality, and the wireless, and the, and the and the....
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is a very large gallery showing most if not all of the iPhone interface screenshots.

Where's that link??? I hovered each word and no linky sign.........ne_nau.gifD
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    Where's that link??? I hovered each word and no linky sign.........ne_nau.gifD

11doh.gif Sorry, fixed it, but here it is again, from Engadget.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Pure Apple. Signup / switching even, from T*Mobile, was a cinch - a few mins online and done. Instant synching of my Contacts, Calendar, email accounts (SmugMug and Gmail), photos, and music.

So far, so good! I dig the form factor, and the screen quality, and the wireless, and the, and the and the....

It is growing on me. I really like the syncing capabilities.

Can you assign certain ringtones to individuals? I did read you cannot use itunes songs for ringtones.

Do you set all your settings through the phone or can you do it via the iTunes sync interface?
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2007
    One miss I see is, Why did they not allow the camera to shoot video? Especially considering the youtube connection. It would seem to be a good fit? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2007
    Skitch is in Beta. It's pretty cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    Cool Firefox tip.

Tired of typing http://www. and .com/net/org?

type the name of the site then

cmd return for .com

shift return for .net

cmd shift return for .org

http://lifehacker.com/software/shortcut-screencast-contest/never-type-httpwww-or-com-again-274712.phphttp://lifehacker.com/software/shortcut-screencast-contest/never-type-httpwww-or-com-again-274712.php
    other tips in the comments.
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    One miss I see is, Why did they not allow the camera to shoot video? Especially considering the youtube connection. It would seem to be a good fit? ne_nau.gif
    Don's review:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2007/07/02/igot-iphone-part-2-the-phone/
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    patch29 wrote:
    Do you set all your settings through the phone or can you do it via the iTunes sync interface?
    Thru the phone, AFAIK
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Skitch is in Beta. It's pretty cool.

Has no one tried this yet? Anyone need an invite to the Beta? I have 3 left....
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    Here's a site I came across to help out all of our new brothers in Apple Land.

myfirstmac.com
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited July 14, 2007
    The company I work for has mostly PC's as both desktop and laptops. The other day, there was this giant box on my desk--it came with a plea. "Help me".

It was a MBP for one our our sales reps. Fair enough, the customer he supports buys plenty of our stuff...

Since our internal support guys only support Windows, I installed a copy of Parallels on it and incorporated that into the Active Directory Domain as well as pushed some productivity software using Computer Associate's Software Delivery stuff. From the support folks POV, it's a PC and that's good for them.

The coolest thing was the help desk gal's comment that it "boots faster than a Windows PC" rolleyes1.gif

So if you're wondering if your Parallels install will work in an Active Directory world, it can. And it's so much like a PC that the support team won't even know.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Here's a site I came across to help out all of our new brothers in Apple Land.

myfirstmac.com
    Excellent site. thumb.gif

And a great widget for lappies.

http://www.macwireless.com/html/support/airport_radar/

Fixes a weakness in the Mac that shouldn't exist, IMHO. Winders machines do this better.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Excellent site. thumb.gif

And a great widget for lappies.

http://www.macwireless.com/html/support/airport_radar/

Fixes a weakness in the Mac that shouldn't exist, IMHO. Winders machines do this better.

not a widget, but still handy.

http://www.istumbler.net/
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I see.......you blokes are dual addicted... glass AND computers. I used a mac once & liked it.

Sort of like a dirty admission 'eh ?

Only if it was a 'dirty' mac!rolleyes1.gif
    OH if it hasn't been mentioned ( can't do wiitreading160 pages) hold down shift while opening or closing a window=cool
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    Only if it was a 'dirty' mac!rolleyes1.gif
    OH if it hasn't been mentioned ( can't do wiitreading160 pages) hold down shift while opening or closing a window=cool

Same works on expose functions (F9, F10, F11).
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    I d/loaded Notebook today. It has a 30 day trial and seems ok so far. ymmv.

Seamus.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    The company I work for has mostly PC's as both desktop and laptops. The other day, there was this giant box on my desk--it came with a plea. "Help me".

It was a MBP for one our our sales reps. Fair enough, the customer he supports buys plenty of our stuff...

Since our internal support guys only support Windows, I installed a copy of Parallels on it and incorporated that into the Active Directory Domain as well as pushed some productivity software using Computer Associate's Software Delivery stuff. From the support folks POV, it's a PC and that's good for them.

The coolest thing was the help desk gal's comment that it "boots faster than a Windows PC" rolleyes1.gif

So if you're wondering if your Parallels install will work in an Active Directory world, it can. And it's so much like a PC that the support team won't even know.

You know of course that the Mac can bind to AD as well, and pass this info through to Parallels if you want.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    I have a not so tech savvy Photographer friend who is using Photoshop CS2 on an Intel mac.
    He wants to open Canon RAW files directly in CS2. I pointed him to Camera RAW plugin link on adobe website.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3583
    He has downloaded it but to him it says that this is for Power PC mac, and not intel mac.
    Is a version available for Intel MAC somewhere?
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    I have a not so tech savvy Photographer friend who is using Photoshop CS2 on an Intel mac.
    He wants to open Canon RAW files directly in CS2. I pointed him to Camera RAW plugin link on adobe website.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3583
    He has downloaded it but to him it says that this is for Power PC mac, and not intel mac.
    Is a version available for Intel MAC somewhere?

CS2 is not a Universal Binary, meaning that it must run under emulation on an Intel Mac. It will run, just a bit slower. To get native speed, he must upgrade to CS3.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 1, 2007
    Like Dave says, CS2 runs fine on a Mac Book Pro.

Just not in native code.

CS3 is faster, on PowerPC Macs and Intel Macs.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    CS2 is not a Universal Binary, meaning that it must run under emulation on an Intel Mac. It will run, just a bit slower. To get native speed, he must upgrade to CS3.
    Hmm. So I guess the 3.7 plugin will work out of the box.
    They are running CS2 because its a "Graphics shop" and they bought a corporate group license for the entire Adobe creative suite. So if they upgrade to CS3 they will go bankrupt. Adobe is charging too much for it!
    So they will stick to CS2 till then.
    I have asked him to install the mac plugin in his CS2 folder the way the instructions say and then try opening a canon Raw file in CS2.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    DoctorIT has taken me to the mac shop here. That 24" 2.16 GHz iMac is a sweet machine alright. He has also infiltrated my house with 2 mac laptops....i dont know where to turn.

...must resist....
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    gus wrote:
    i dont know where to turn.
    ... but, given time, you'll find somewhere! :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 2, 2007
    gus wrote:
    ...must resist....
    how's that line go... resistance is futile!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 2, 2007
    Big Mac event on 8/07, could mean the introduction of new iMacs....but what else? ear.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Big Mac event on 8/07, could mean the introduction of new iMacs....but what else? ear.gif

Cheese? Ey up Grommit - d'ya think there'll be a new cheese?eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

I don't know what they'll have, but I know what I need.

A 24" Cinema Display with RGB LED backlighting, HDCP, and built-in KVM capability, for $600.
    (A man can dream, can't he?)

But if I can't have that, I'll take a full-featured 12" widescreen subnotebook instead...
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    42 inch cinema display, maybe? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    In another post in Finishing School I talk about my missing presets (specifically duotones, but gradients, etc. are impacted). I found them
    in the CS3 folder Application -> Presets ->Duotones.

The bigger issue is my ignorance of how OSX and/or CS3 stores/loads those presets by default. Once I went upstream in the directory structure when I tried to load an .ado while in PS CS3, I found that I was in Users->jdryan3->library->Application Support->Adobe->Abobe Photoshop CS3->Presets->Duotones by default. And all those preset folders are empty.

I understand the concept of user files vs common files from my PC, but my question is do other folks move the presets to their user files? Or maybe store their custom settings in the main CS3 folders? And if I want to just use the main preset folders for everything, how do I get CS3 to use those as the defaults? I saved a custom duotone in the main folder, but when I reopen CS3, I'm back in those user folders.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac