Options

Anyone Have A Shootsac??

Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited October 23, 2007 in Accessories
Just wondering if anyone here is using a Shootsac and what you think of it =)

Here is the link: http://www.shootsac.com/
Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
BLOG

Comments

• Options
    mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2007
    Looks interesting, but I'd be afraid of my lenses spilling out. To me there's a tradeoff between easy access and securing your gear - with securing your gear being a higher priority. Seems a little pricey, too.

I'd rather go for something like this.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    looks expensive and not as functional as a dedicated camera bag. i have one of these from calumet. i think it's a rebranded tamrac bag. mine usually has:
    • 2 D200 bodies w/ lenses
    • 2 sb-800 flashes
    • a fisheye lens
    • another zoom lens or a lightsphere diffuser
    • remote trigger for my strobes
    • ~12 AA batteries
    • 2 spare d200 batteries
    • extra CF cards
    • 2 tripod qr plates
    • 1 sb-800 tripod mount
    • pen
    • business cards
    • pocket knife
    i could replace the lightsphere w/ 2, maybe 3 pocket wizards. there's still room leftover... also, it has a rain sleeve that zips out from under the bag that goes over it when you're out and it's coming down cats and dogs...

as far as i'm concerned, they can keep the hoighty toighty sac to themselves. mwink.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    i don't think I would actually buy something called the "shootsac" rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I was driving into work the other day and I was following an ice cream truck: "NASTO'S ICE CREAM".

Who the hell comes up with these names?
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I saw it somewhere. I think it was Dancinkate who had one.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Never heard of it before. I wouldn't use one (even if it does support a local vendor)--too many compromises made for being fashionable. What photographer is really that worried about being fashionable on a shoot anyway? Face it, we're all geeks, embrace your geekhood!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    Never heard of it before. I wouldn't use one (even if it does support a local vendor)--too many compromises made for being fashionable. What photographer is really that worried about being fashionable on a shoot anyway? Face it, we're all geeks, embrace your geekhood!

You're usually judged by your photos, now how good you look while taking them :D
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    You're usually judged by your photos, now how good you look while taking them :D

whatchatalkin' bout, willis? i always look good while shooting! rolleyes1.gif
    - Dan

• Options
    edited August 15, 2007
    I can't wait for coach to release their new camera bag. My old one has one thread come loose and I had to throw it out :D
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    I am not sure i can talk to fashion sense, though the shootsac is pretty snazzy looking. But to me, it seems too minimalist.

I use a reasonably inexpensive Tamrac bag that is quite similar in function to the shootsac. It is well padded, messenger bag style, and does not look like a camera bag.

http://www.tamrac.com/5534.htm

This bag will hold two lenses and a camera with lens mounted.
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2007
    Not high fashionable, but very useful and less expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16242-REG/Domke_734_003_PhoTOGS_Vest_Large.html
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    Not high fashionable, but very useful and less expensive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16242-REG/Domke_734_003_PhoTOGS_Vest_Large.html

Ack! You're missing the whole point of this bag, which is not just fashion, although it counts for alot ... as in sales!!! (I think the gal is a marketing genious as well as great photographer). I have this bag and while I haven't put it to good use yet, I am pretty impressed with it's design (as in how it is built!). It is made out of the same material as a wetsuit, so it is soft but tough. It is really aimed at wedding photographers, who need their lenses quickly and easily within reach for swapping. It allows you to carry around several lenses easily accessed without setting the bag down and having to worry about it's whereabouts. One thing I like is that it "hugs" your body while loaded, and wraps around your side......it doesn't protrude like a normal camera bag. I think it would work well for the market it is aimed at, but obviously you wouldn't take it out in the marshes, etc.! I'm not a wedding photographer, but I have to confess the interchangeable covers are gorgeous and so clever that I just had to have one..............I'm worth it. rolleyes1.gif

(It's pretty pricey, but you have to also figure in the 'cool factor'. :D )
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    OK, but there's already Kinesis & ThinkTank serving that market. Not a cool-looking for sure, but proven to be quite functional based on all the happy user comments I've read. Enough so that I'm looking real hard at their stuff for my event shooting.

I'll agree she's got an interesting idea and is doing some great marketing. Competition is always good. However, I don't care for that kind of bag for a couple of reasons & feel the Kinesis & ThinkTank are probably more effective. But that's just me. Besides, it's fun to keep stirring the pot....:poke:heh
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    OK, but there's already Kinesis & ThinkTank serving that market. Not a cool-looking for sure, but proven to be quite functional based on all the happy user comments I've read. Enough so that I'm looking real hard at their stuff for my event shooting.

I'll agree she's got an interesting idea and is doing some great marketing. Competition is always good. However, I don't care for that kind of bag for a couple of reasons & feel the Kinesis & ThinkTank are probably more effective. But that's just me. Besides, it's fun to keep stirring the pot....:poke:heh

Oh, I so totally agree, Chris (about stirring the pot!!!) but I still don't think I'd wear this to a wedding shoot! :haha
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Oh, I so totally agree, Chris (about stirring the pot!!!) but I still don't think I'd wear this to a wedding shoot! :haha

funny you should say that; i know a guy that does. no, it's not me. i have some fashion sense... :D
    - Dan

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    I want a shoot sac really bad, but I just can't justify spending $200 on one now... (I want the baroque cover, too of course!) Aside from being super cute, they do seem to fit the bill for little items you need while you're actually shooting.

It's interesting this circle of "elite" (whatever that means) wedding photographers that are selling products directly to other photographers. David Jay, Jessica Claire, Kevin Kubota, etc. They all link to each other's products, business tools, and their images look, well, the same. ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    I have one and I do like it although it is not cheap but it sure is pretty. But I have been making my own covers and now I like it even better :D

Here is mine with the Festive cover
    1002788106_0abec64818.jpg

Here are the covers I have made =)

My Favorite
    1106110816_7cd7e19944.jpg

1106116364_ea68fa1e17.jpg

1106727869_0e4a9b42c8.jpg

1107578288_7dcd7fb0fa.jpg

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Wow very interesting! I love that you have made your own covers. That's awesome!

Do you care to show us what the inside of one looks like??? deal.gif I am really curious and can't find any shots.
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2007
    Sure thing I will take a few pics tonight thumb.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Ack! You're missing the whole point of this bag, which is not just fashion, although it counts for alot ... as in sales!!! (I think the gal is a marketing genious as well as great photographer). I have this bag and while I haven't put it to good use yet, I am pretty impressed with it's design (as in how it is built!). It is made out of the same material as a wetsuit, so it is soft but tough. It is really aimed at wedding photographers, who need their lenses quickly and easily within reach for swapping. It allows you to carry around several lenses easily accessed without setting the bag down and having to worry about it's whereabouts. One thing I like is that it "hugs" your body while loaded, and wraps around your side......it doesn't protrude like a normal camera bag. I think it would work well for the market it is aimed at, but obviously you wouldn't take it out in the marshes, etc.! I'm not a wedding photographer, but I have to confess the interchangeable covers are gorgeous and so clever that I just had to have one..............I'm worth it. rolleyes1.gif

(It's pretty pricey, but you have to also figure in the 'cool factor'. :D )

Oh I get the fashion and usefullness, but I prefer useful and safe. I have insurance on all my gear, but I really don't want to replace a $1200 + lens for a fashion statement. It just does not look like something I would feel comfortable using. Besides, were would I get shoes to match????headscratch.gifgiggle
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2007
    All Black... all the time....
    I have one and I think they're terrific. They hold your stuff while you are event shooting. For street and hiking type I use several bags - Love my Kata H-14 or the Lowepro sling back pack but when you're shooting a wedding this is great. Everything is right there and safe from not only theft but it's got enough padding on it. I like the idea of making my own cover - I would put a zipper pocket in the cover for keys and some cash leaving the pockets free for gear only. And if you go in my closet most of my shoes go with it...they're black!

quote=gryphonslair99]Oh I get the fashion and usefullness, but I prefer useful and safe. I have insurance on all my gear, but I really don't want to replace a $1200 + lens for a fashion statement. It just does not look like something I would feel comfortable using. Besides, were would I get shoes to match????headscratch.gifgiggle[/quote]
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    saurora wrote:

stir...stir...stir... :heh No? But I hear all the cool kids are wearing them this year. :D

Seriously though, I agree that the safari vest is not the thing to wear to a wedding shoot. I could swear I saw an example photo on the Kinesis or ThinkTank sites of their modular belt system with a guy wearing a suit as an example wedding setup. Didn't look too bad. Yes, he was obviously a photographer, but didn't look like a hopeless geek. Besides, they're all black, so fit right in. :Ddeal.gif

Now back to picking on the shootsac. It looks to me like that strap would get uncomfortable after a while--it's totally unpadded as far as I can see. Why?
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    The strap really does need some padding nod.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2007

Chuckled at this, so true. Now I've just gotta tell this little story. The first time I geared up with my new shoulder harness rig with the belt pouches etc I felt like such a complete dork. My wife was standing there in the kictchen laughing away and then said quite seriously, "honey. You aren't really going to wear that in the show ring." It wasn't stated as a question if you get my drift. I was being put to the test. Either a) embrace my geekdom and toss fasion aside, or b) worry about how I looked. I decided to embrace the geekdom, but even so I was a little self-conscious at my first shoot with the thing.

Then after about 3 hours of shooting, and having everything I could ever want right there, plus having figured out how to secure the camera strap to the "o" rings on the shoulder harness so the weight of the camera and 80-200 2.8 wasn't on my neck, I was starting to like the thing and fashion be damned. Then some other photogrpaher showed up on the event. Being the offical OP I was keeping one eye on anyone shooting from the rails, but so far the only people there were point and shooters, and the occasional consumer SLR/lense user. But this guy.. this person had a harness with every belt container, 2 pro bodies with a long pro lense and a medium pro lense both with hoods and basically looked like he was ready to go to war.

I was like.. "gulp." I stared at him.. he stared at me. He outgeared me by at least 3x. It was showdown at high noon -at the Estes Park corral. *queue pale rider music* Anyway.. not to be anti-climatic, but he wandered away and I never saw him again during the show. BUT- since that day I've been completely transformed as to my perception of what it is to appear like a camera geek. He was just badass with all his dorky pouches. I felt like I'd brought a knife to a gunfight.

Okay I'll shut up now, I've got work piling up here.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Oh I get the fashion and usefullness, but I prefer useful and safe. I have insurance on all my gear, but I really don't want to replace a $1200 + lens for a fashion statement. It just does not look like something I would feel comfortable using. Besides, were would I get shoes to match????

I am not sure I understand where the "unsafe" is coming from? I guess I'll wait until I see pictures of the inside to make that call! (TIA Stephenie!)
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2007
    Boda bag is more useful.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Boda bag is more useful.

oooooh, those look awesome!!!! thanks for sharing!
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Very cool bag...I love how well the website shows the bag. I just wish it was a bit prettier...lol =)

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    chrisjlee wrote:
    Boda bag is more useful.

Very slick bag (another pricey model!) . Buying camera bags is like buying an automobile .... no one model is perfect for every event. It's no wonder I always leave stuff at home.....it's always in my 'other' bag!!! :D
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Very cool bag...I love how well the website shows the bag. I just wish it was a bit prettier...lol =)

it looks like the perfect shooting companion (sheesh, for $200 it SHOULD BE!), and a lot prettier than one of those vests :puke1
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    I have one and I do like it although it is not cheap but it sure is pretty. But I have been making my own covers and now I like it even better :D

Wow, that's very clever of you!!! (That way they can match your shoes!!!:D )