Options

What is more important idea or technique?

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2007
    Next time I'll attempt to put more witty sarcasm in my replies for entertainment value.

wow, looks like i hit a nerve. sheesh, just trying to lighten things up a bit. My bad, I'll exit stage leftrolleyes1.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    urbanaries wrote:
    wow, looks like i hit a nerve. sheesh, just trying to lighten things up a bit. My bad, I'll exit stage leftrolleyes1.gif

Hey, no hard feelings, eh? I honestly bore myself sometimes. rolleyes1.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    urbanaries wrote:
    '

*springs to life* huh? what? did I miss something new? :Drolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif

I have to say, though, I do agree with Nik. I think if I posted a brilliant idea that I shot with my camera phone, I doubt I'd make it that far..... (Hmmm, maybe I'll try!)
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    rolleyes1.gif

I have to say, though, I do agree with Nik. I think if I posted a brilliant idea that I shot with my camera phone, I doubt I'd make it that far..... (Hmmm, maybe I'll try!)

Just pretend you are using a lensbaby instead of a camera phone. Interesting how we will not give a second thought to using an accessory that purposfully degrades image quality, but have an aversion to using a camera that does the same thing.

Something to ponder...
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    Just pretend you are using a lensbaby instead of a camera phone. Interesting how we will not give a second thought to using an accessory that purposfully degrades image quality, but have an aversion to using a camera that does the same thing.

Something to ponder...

If I want an image from my 5D to look like a camera phone, I can usually get there in Photoshop. Generally my policy is to get the best quality capture up front and if I want to degrade it, take care of it later. As for a Lensbaby, I have never tried one, but I do know that lens tilts are essentially impossible to recreate well in post.
  • Options
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I do know that lens tilts are essentially impossible to recreate well in post.

Good point.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ...lens tilts are essentially impossible to recreate well in post.
    ...as are polarizer's... ;-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    Can we try to show a little sensitivity around here? All this talk of dead horses is really offending me. :eek1 :nono
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    HoofClix wrote:
    Can we try to show a little sensitivity around here? All this talk of dead horses is really offending me. :eek1 :nono

No problem...I'm a horse owner/lover myself. There's more than one way to skin a cat! Oops...now I'll have cat lovers all over me like flies on $%#. Oh dear, now I've offended the fly lovers. Guess I should try Shay's tactics and stick with food analogies!rolleyes1.gif
    Emily

• Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    No problem...I'm a horse owner/lover myself. There's more than one way to skin a cat! Oops...now I'll have cat lovers all over me like flies on $%#. Oh dear, now I've offended the fly lovers. Guess I should try Shay's tactics and stick with food analogies!rolleyes1.gif

Hey! I freaking love food! BAck the H OFF!
  • Options
    Travis wrote:
    Hey! I freaking love food! BAck the H OFF!

Oops again...my sincere apologies! (There's always one...:food )
    Emily

• Options
    Travis wrote:
    BAck the H OFF!

Ya, Hoff all the way!

the%20Hoff.jpg
  • Options
    Ya, Hoff all the way!

the%20Hoff.jpg

Ummmmmm, I don't think that is what I meant..... LMAO rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    Em, now you really gone an' done it. Didn't you also know that I'm a $%# lover too?:nah:lol
    Mark
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2007
    Travis wrote:
    Ummmmmm, I don't think that is what I meant..... LMAO rolleyes1.gifrofl

Oh, you must be thinking further back to the Knight Rider Hoff. I understand, either way, it is still backing the Hoff!!! hahahahaha
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    :Dmwink.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    Oh, you must be thinking further back to the Knight Rider Hoff. I understand, either way, it is still backing the Hoff!!! hahahahaha

All right.... you got me..... bowdown.gifthe HOFF! Now I'm going to do my best slow mo sequence running the beach.... rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    Travis wrote:
    Now I'm going to do my best slow mo sequence running the beach.... rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I'm wide awake now!!! Laughing.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    I think great idea is nothing without technique.I mean you need some technique to put that idea on photograph.

In PJ where you cannot repeat the happening even blured pictures can work.
    i have seen so many photos in TIME etc where eyes are out of focus but picture is heart mover. If you are doing job in controled enviornment where you can reshoot rules are different headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    HoofClix wrote:
    Em, now you really gone an' done it. Didn't you also know that I'm a $%# lover too?:nah:lol

Yeah, I guess that comes with the "horse lover" territory!

rolleyes1.gif
    Emily

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    I made a related post a few weeks ago, here which was largely ignored, but hey I'll survive, Pupator made a good point in reply along the lines of the goal is to hone your technique to a point where it's no longer something you have to think about, it's just second nature, leaving you able concentrate your thoughts on creativity.

BTW, I've noticed I've become a bit of a thread killer lately so sorry if I've struck again!

Charlie
  • Options
    Travis wrote:
    All right.... you got me..... bowdown.gifthe HOFF! Now I'm going to do my best slow mo sequence running the beach.... rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Hey:
    200241256-L.jpg
    Emily

• Options
    thebigsky wrote:
    Surely the goal is to hone your technique to a point where it's no longer something you have to think about, it's just second nature, leaving you able concentrate your thoughts on creativity.

BTW, I've noticed I've become a bit of a thread killer lately so sorry if I've struck again!

Charlie

WOWOWOWOWA...Unbelievable!

Seriously, good point Charlie, however you definitely have to keep those skills in practice. I put my serious photography aside for a while and I'm definitely having to relearn my technical skills. There's an abundance of knowledge that I never learned in the first place, so if I ever get to the point where I think I "know it all" I'm sure I'll need a serious reality check.
    Emily

• Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    Emily,

Thanks for breaking my thread killing streak, phew, my photography has improved considerably since I prioritised creativity over technicalities.

Charlie
  • Options
    Hey:
    200241256-L.jpg

Now that is the "HOFF" I like...

I'm a firm believer of the song "Save a Horse...Ride a Cowboy"....LMAO

Laughing.gif But it would be cool to take pics of JT running in SLO MO at the Beach....rolleyes1.gif
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    thebigsky wrote:
    I made a related post a few weeks ago, here which was largely ignored, but hey I'll survive, Pupator made a good point in reply along the lines of the goal is to hone your technique to a point where it's no longer something you have to think about, it's just second nature, leaving you able concentrate your thoughts on creativity.

Charlie

Charlie, I suppose I've learned that many of the folks coming in here to "Contests" aren't always out there in the other rooms. I myself never noticed your thread because it's over there in Wide Angle, where I suppose it really fits in a larger sense, except that over here, you would get the conversation of this wonderful gang in this room! So don't take offense. It was a great point. You're not a thread killer, and your comments are always invigorating over here...

Your comments over there in your thread remind me of playing the guitar (not very good at it, but I play nonetheless...) Sometimes I just have to relax and softly play the simple chords and notes, and they sound better then all the ill attempts at the complicated stuff. Even Dave Matthews is at his best when he just plays the simple chords around in a circle... Think of #41....
    Mark
  • Options
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

I am glad you brought that up. That was my path as well. I began with technique, and when I was comfortable enough with it, I moved toward the artistic sides of things now that my mind was free.

Others start from the art side and work their way toward the technical. Either way, both are important and I am not advocating ignoring technique. But if I had to choose between one or the other, I would today go with the art, the content.

The point of the thread is really to get people thinking along a possibly new line. We can get so focused on technique we forget what the technique is trying to accomplish. We can focus on the technique and not even see the art. A balance of the two is of course best and will best serve the photographer.
  • Options
    The point of the thread is really to get people thinking along a possibly new line. We can get so focused on technique we forget what the technique is trying to accomplish. We can focus on the technique and not even see the art. A balance of the two is of course best and will best serve the photographer.

Shay, I think that about SUMS up the WHOLE Thread!!

Touche!!

Donnathumb.gif

So Girls, when a Male Photographer says to you..."Wow you have nice "T&A"" he isn't being fresh, he is talking about your "Technique and Art"......Laughing.gif
  • Options
    thebigsky wrote:

Charlie

Charlie, aside from the good point you made, I was secretly hoping that you would have killed this thread. Imagine my relief when I saw you post, knowing that Hoff torture would end anytime now....... clap.gif

Just for the record...I prefer the drunk Hoff rolling around on the floor looking for food. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    Is It the Message or the Massage?
    HoofClix wrote:
    BistiArt has given us all a great look in to the New Mexico State Fair, and while it is comforting to know that there would be some method applied to judging if Joe were to be a judge, the LPS is different.

It is more like speed chess in that we get only two weeks so plan, execute, and present, whereas other contests have different themes that must be met.

...I certainly hope that whoever wins this contest shows unequivocally the very best of both sides of this question.

Mark,

Thanks for the kind words regarding judging fairness!
    Truthfully, LPS, with all its challenges is one of the reasons I decided to try my hand at judging after watching the New Mexico State fair process.
    After realizing I received People's Choice Sunday night, I felt I owed several guys, Jack Houser, Eric Jones, and Stephan Kolb of the Enchanted Lens Camera Club my thanks. They've all acted in the role of mentor as I've stumbled my way through CS3, blend modes, and all the other hidden pitfalls of what some call the technical aspects.
    To that end, I'm putting an article called Is It the Message or the Massage? in our October club newsletter. The newsletter is called the f-stop. Realizing many people will not have easy access to the article, I've also put it on my website at BistiArt.smugmug.com as a PDF. Simply look at the drop-down menu beneath the word blog. Or, if you like, read the blog which is more easily linked back to LPS.

At ELCC, this mentorship is hands-on and direct. At LPS, it's a little more distant and not for the timid.
    But there's a distinct difference, because photography in LPS is more challenging!

And, none of this stops me trying for LPS...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]