Options

What is more important idea or technique?

13»

Comments

• Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    Thanks, Joe, for your article. I've printed it out and plan to read it separately....

In this thread, considering it was Shay's question to start this off, I'm trying to keep separate if we are talking about the way photography ought to be, or if we are talking about the way photography for this contest ought to be.. It has been so long since I've had cameras in my hand that I don't know any longer what side I focused on first, and what side I would encourage others to start on. I suppose I can talk about my two daughters, each of whom take photos, but neither of them know anything about the physics of the camera. And "technique," well, I'm just encouraging them to take photos and to enjoy doing it, not trying to tie them up with technique or method. I suppose that if they don't find their eye, their own personal art, then all the technique instruction in the world won't help a thing. I also don't want to scare them away!

I think that some of the best stuff in the LPS has been devoid of intentional technique. That's where the freshness comes from, and sort of what I'm trying to rediscover, why I'm here!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    HoofClix wrote:
    That's where the freshness comes from, and sort of what I'm trying to rediscover, why I'm here!

Nice Mark, that is one of the things I like about the LPS is the Creativity, the stimulation you get from trying to be creative about something that someone hands you, and get those juices flowing. Sometimes you get "stifled" and feel like your brain has just gone and blown a gasket.

But I tend to agree with most....It is GREAT to be creative, but I agree with Shay and the "Thread Killer"..Laughing.gif, it is a combination of both T&A that creates a good photo, but foremost, I really think you have to have "The Eye".

You have to see beyond what your eye physically sees, you have to capture the moment...(hmmm..Kodak Moment)

I like this saying and it is my interpretation of T&A

"YOU HAVE TO KNOW THE RULES OF PHOTOGRAPHY TO BE ABLE TO BREAK THEM ARTISTICALLY !!"
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    HoofClix wrote:
    Charlie, I suppose I've learned that many of the folks coming in here to "Contests" aren't always out there in the other rooms. I myself never noticed your thread because it's over there in Wide Angle, where I suppose it really fits in a larger sense, except that over here, you would get the conversation of this wonderful gang in this room! So don't take offense. It was a great point. You're not a thread killer, and your comments are always invigorating over here...

Your comments over there in your thread remind me of playing the guitar (not very good at it, but I play nonetheless...) Sometimes I just have to relax and softly play the simple chords and notes, and they sound better then all the ill attempts at the complicated stuff. Even Dave Matthews is at his best when he just plays the simple chords around in a circle... Think of #41....

Thanks Mark, just as I was thinking of changing my nick to 'thread killer' it looks like it's no longer valid clap.gif

Getting hung up on technicalities definitely stifles creativity and leads to soulless images that are ten a penny.

Charlie
  • Options
    Travis wrote:
    Charlie, aside from the good point you made, I was secretly hoping that you would have killed this thread. Imagine my relief when I saw you post, knowing that Hoff torture would end anytime now....... clap.gif

Just for the record...I prefer the drunk Hoff rolling around on the floor looking for food. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

Can you have too much Hoff? Would that be a hofferdose, groan :D

Charlie
  • Options
    Good point about having 'the eye' Donna, often I'm confronted by something that's visually striking but capturing that as an image challenges me and I still rely on taking a multitude of shots from different angles and perspectives before capturing it in a satisfactory manner.

When you have 'the eye' you get it first time, I think the advent of digital has in some respects led to this slightly lazy approach, no need to worry about film and processing costs etc.

Charlie
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    thebigsky wrote:
    Can you have too much Hoff? Would that be a hofferdose, groan :D

Charlie

I apologize to anyone who clicks this link, but he did ask. I present to you waaaaay too much Hoff:

http://i.pbase.com/v3/96/492696/1/46405883.hasselhoff.gif
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    MarkTodd wrote:
    I apologize to anyone who clicks this link, but he did ask. I present to you waaaaay too much Hoff:

ROTFLMAO.....Now that is JUST too FUNNY!! :D
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    MarkTodd wrote:

Okay, so I get an error message when trying to click that link saying I don't have permission to view it on this server...I must deduce that #1) This image is of questionable content and #2) my computer wiz husband has blocked my computer from viewig such content. rolleyes1.gif
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    Okay, so I get an error message when trying to click that link saying I don't have permission to view it on this server...I must deduce that #1) This image is of questionable content and #2) my computer wiz husband has blocked my computer from viewig such content. rolleyes1.gif

Google image search for Hasselhoff.gif. Maybe your husband accidently saw it and was scarred for life. I certainly couldn't blame him for banning that!
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    I think we need to define how you* define "technique."

What is technique and what elements are essential to a good** photograph?

*emperical you = all of us
    **good = evocative, powerful, winning (?)

Me? I think being able to compose and execute a shot is the technique a LPS competitor needs in order to supplement a strong creative idea.

What has changed for me personally is I've moved from entering a shot that happened to fit the theme to composing an shot based on the theme and then executing it, learning all the new skills I can along the way.

How about you?