Options

Unofficial LPS 13 Feedback Thread

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 3, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Post your favorites here! Extra credit if you give feedback, too. Can you beat the judges? I think you can.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    202536911-L.jpg

Here are mine, in ranked order from top left to bottom right.

Feedback will follow.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Great entries. My favourites in no particular order

top%2010.jpg
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    Heather U-KHeather U-K Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2007
    My Fav 10
    indiegirl wrote:
    Post your favorites here! Extra credit if you give feedback, too. Can you beat the judges? I think you can.
    I'd post the images of my favs but have no idea how you do that cool single image of all the ten at once.

So here's a list:

#3 - Safe Haven
    #13 - Lonely Rays
    #16 - In the Beginning....
    #34 - Nature Remembers
    #41 - Night & Day
    #52 - Hatch
    #55 - Into the Sky
    #66 - Ripple
    #72 - Let it Play You
    #79 - No 5 o'Clock Shadow

Will offer up critique soon if I have time.

Heather
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    In no particular order:
    Man, this was a tough round!!!!

198640457-Th.jpg199408064-Th.jpg199804064-Th.jpg

200705159-Th.jpg201626231-Th-1.jpg202428631-Th.jpg

202488197-Th.jpg201659253-Th.jpg199427368-Th.jpg

199958618-Th.jpg
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    My top 11 in the order of submission only...

13 - Lonely Rays
    15 - Firestarter
    16 - In the Beginning
    28 - Night Vision
    33 - Dawn at the Shoreline
    35 - The Rise of the Urubu
    41 - Night and Day
    43 - Six Thirty
    52 - Hatch
    55 - Into the Sky
    90 - Desert Morning Glory
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Okay, so here's my top ten in no particular order, plus 6 more that I had a terrible time excluding. I could easily have added at least 5 more to this list! This was an incredible round with so many great interpretations.

My top ten ended up being those images that
    1) Hit the theme for me,
    2) Appealed to me aesthetically and
    3) Had excellent technique.

202711144-L.jpg
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    In no particular order
    not sure why these all came out b/w but it looks pretty cool! Too many to choose from - great round guys!!

202751494-M.jpg
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    2178524-446.jpg
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    202752757-O.jpg

Some pretty spectacular shots this round! These 12 were the most emotionally and aesthetically pleasing to me, as well as being thematically spot on. In my haste I forgot to add several to my montage... #30 "No running in the street", #80 "harvest sun", and #25 "facing the day"

Winston
  • Options
    davalistudiosdavalistudios Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    It was tough to narrow it down, but here are my favorites:

202768321-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    My vote and feedback
    Not that my opinion matters much, but you did ask.

My top ten or so... (in numeric order I think)

Firestarter #15
    I love it. Good idea, good composition.

Ezekiel 25:17 #18
    Classic shot. Very “in theme”.

Go! #22
    Very cool, good idea

Facing the Day #25
    Lovely…

Night and Day #41
    I really like the balance

Glass #48
    Great arrangement, well done

Waiting for a breeze #51
    Beautiful.

Fading iris #57
    Very pretty.

Guard the Dark #61
    Great subject, I would have liked to see one eye brought out a little more

Somewhere in between (Light & Shadow) #65
    I tried to do a photo like that and could not make it work. I have to keep trying…

Ripple #66
    Pretty and a great idea.

No 5 O'clock shadow here #79
    Nicely done and like the relationship with the theme

Honorable Mentions

Hatch #52
    Well done and a great idea, just did not connect with me as well as some of the others

No running in the street! #30
    Nice but I loved one of the others you did. When I saw the one you did not use, I knew the title should be longing before I read it.

The rise of the Urubu #35
    One of my early favorites.
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Okay, so here's my top ten in no particular order, plus 6 more that I had a terrible time excluding. I could easily have added at least 5 more to this list! This was an incredible round with so many great interpretations.

Wow! Thanks, Emily, for including my shot in your 'Top Ten Plus." I appreciate your encouragement!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    FIRST, what a round! I think it was my favorite to watch developing up until about Thursday afternoon when I had to depart for the weekend. I was not let down by the second half of the entries that I've had a chance to look over. Welcome to all the newcomers, at least they all seem so to me, as there are a lot of new names in the hat this time.

SECOND, welcome back to purist photography! Has anyone noticed the percentage of entries that were ideas composed in the camera, executed and presented? Hats off to all of you on that.

THIRD, especially to all of you newcomers, don't be fooled by this thread. If you see your photo in one of these collages, or eventually in this post, it's not likely to be what the judges decide upon. If you get selected, great, be humble, but if you don't, great job anyway, and where's your LPS14 entry?

So..... I had my daughter save all the photos labeled "## Title" and put them in a folder, sans artist handle, trying my best not to know who the entrants were. I then went on to move the ones that didn't immediately move me as "of Light" or "of Shadow" into a separate folder. Darkness not about the shadow, selected out. Just a silhouette? Out. One side of a subject that isn’t lit doesn’t speak “shadow” to me. 34 were left.

I took a break and came back to the ones that I pulled out. I looked to see if there were any that I had just not gotten on first pass to see if there was some point that I had missed. Didn’t want this to be totally snap-judgemental.. I pulled two back in.

Then came the hard work of deciding, and I can't pare it down beyond this list, nor am I obligated to! (in order of post):

06 Looking for the Answers mpaulie
    The light here is just yelling at me to touch it, but dare I?

13 Lonely Rays Curious Camel
    The softness of the morning makes me want to know what’s beyond. The picnic table conflicts me. Doesn't invite me to sit.

28 Night Vision Greensquared
    The light coming alive as a genie would from a box of treasure! The eyes looking at me captivated me from the start. I respect the technique, and great stretching to learn about it!

30 No Runnin in the street! photogmamma
    I love it. Why didn’t I think of this?.

41 Night and Day pyroPrints.com
    Here the shadow speaks of light and dark in black and white, while the the leaf does the same thing in the color of the fall. I love the simplicity of the idea and how it fits the theme..

47 Beacon of Resurrection richtersl
    I know that you “did stuff” with this image, but no matter, as in the end it’s about the light up there, almost like the light that supposedly greets us when we are dying. I think perhaps other cultures might not understand, but perhaps I’m wrong! Great job making me forget that the light is on the other side of the stones!

52 Hatch LiquidAir
    Brilliant! This one certainly draws me into want to know what’s inside that egg. I can't see evidence that it's a composite. If it is, you've gone the extra distance to make it believable to me... I'm figuring we'll get your usual explanation...

55 Into the Sky annnna8888
    Look at this in thumbnail folks, and it’s a very different abstract! All about allowing the light to come into a great space.

72 Let It Play You! Stuffjunkie
    Crafty! It’s obviously not all “in-camera,” but I can’t see the seams, and it’s message is there.

80 Harvest Sun Indiegirl
    The light that is so essential to our life, and what it produces for us. Very delicate message here to me, and Jessie, this is your strength IMO. You'll all just have to take my word that I knew it was Indie's entry when I saw it. Makes me feel like I’m there after a day of work in the trees. Or before going out to it!

83 Save Me Felicia
    One of the ones that I pulled back in, as the subject “light” isn’t in there, but referred to by the composition. I’d like to see a bit less crop in the upper right corner to allow the hand to still go somewhere.

90 Desert Morning glory drdane
    Simply beautiful! Reminds me of some of my days at 29 Palms. The texture of the layered haze is what makes it. I’d love to hear how you made this one.

Notables that got pared out:
    04 Sourcery 101 MarkTodd
    Man, you should’ a kept the original hand. The technique is fantastic, but the hand doesn’t look like a sorcerer’s. The original was gnarly and looked like it’d been used in battle. This one is just a hand about to touch the light.

17 It’s a Small World Tentation
    Great soft use of light that makes it look like a very good painting. And besides, I saved a bunch on car insurance today!

24 Behind Door #1 davev
    A really great photo and idea, and there are shadows, but in the end it’s more about the ghost. I really respect the technique.

25 Facing the Day RogersDA
    Almost like a painting. Light everywhere, but eventually, it’s about the flower.

35 The rise of the Urubu ifocus
    Mesmerizing! IMO, the best entry in the round, but when I look at it, I just don’t see either side of the theme as the subject. The light in the background enhances, but isn’t the subject.

65 Somewhere in between st33lz
    This one is a great photo, and I really like it. To me it’s about the long shadow cast by the man on the cross. I just can’t get beyond my “no statues” mentality.

85 Untitled PaulThomasMcKee
    It’s greatness is that I stared at it to see what it was, and in the end, it’s nothing at all but a shadow! Am I wrong, or did you title it?

Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thanks for the critique and encouragement by including my shot in your top picks, Mark!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thanks for the notable mention! You know, they were both my hand and they look totally different. In the original I thought the problems with the shadows wouldn't be good for the competition, but I was never able to recapture the odd angles in the later shots. Maybe it was the shadows that actually contributed to the look.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    52 Hatch LiquidAir
    Brilliant! This one certainly draws me into want to know what’s inside that egg. I can't see evidence that it's a composite. If it is, you've gone the extra distance to make it believable to me... I'm figuring we'll get your usual explanation...

Thanks! After last round's controversy, I decieded to stay away from composites this time. I did put a short how-to description in Indie's behind the scenes thread, but in brief there is white LED inside the egg (along with a carefully controlled flash providing some extra light on my face). The package on the flashlight called the LED bright, but the camera begs to differ with an 0.3s exposure time at ISO 400.
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:

47 Beacon of Resurrection richtersl
    I know that you “did stuff” with this image, but no matter, as in the end it’s about the light up there, almost like the light that supposedly greets us when we are dying. I think perhaps other cultures might not understand, but perhaps I’m wrong! Great job making me forget that the light is on the other side of the stones!

Thanks! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    NomanizanNomanizan Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 1, 2007
    fashiznitsngrins and davalistudios,

Thanks for including my shot in your tops! #40

That was my first entry ever. :)
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thanks
    indiegirl, pemmett, Heather, Ritchers, haweye978, Greensquared, pyroPrints, Hoofclix

Thanks, to all of you for feeling my shot note worthy on your lists.

So many beautiful shots I just can't choose.

:D Good luck to all of you!!!:D

Peace, gail
  • Options
    SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thoughts About This & That
    [FONT=&quot]My selections are all about the exploration of the meaning of light and shadow – the shapes of shadows and graduations of light. Then there’s the question of what is light? Is the sun our only source? Artificial light even from oil is extracted from organic masses nurtured by the sun’s rays the placed under tremendous pressure. Or is light something else? Is it creative or soulful human traits? Is it the sparkle of human personality? Is shadow the darker side of personality? I tried to pick images that were fresh and not familiar. (Even an excellently executed trite image is not worthy of honoring as our best examples of art.) Finally I have chosen images that have made me think these thoughts. In our pop culture and mass media I have been dulled by the easy and quick visual messages and this contest has allowed me to explore thoughtfully its themes. These photographic artists have provoked my thinking and that is a very good thing indeed.thumb.gif

LPS13_mypicks.jpg

[/FONT]
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2007
    Thanks to every single one of you who participate in this fun little ditty. I love reading what people liked and why and it's always nice to make a few lists. I appreciate you, each of you, who make this a community rich with inspiration.

Jesse
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Ditto to indiegirl
    clap.gif Absolutely, I agree, I apologize for not thanking everyone. I enjoy reading all of your comments about each picture. Most of the time they are thought provoking and and learning experience in themselves.

Thanks to everyone.clap.gif
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Yay, I made someone's list! Thanks much! :D

It really doesn't take much to keep me going.
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Nomanizan wrote:
    fashiznitsngrins and davalistudios,

Thanks for including my shot in your tops! #40

That was my first entry ever. :)

You're welcome! I really liked it from the minute I saw it and it definitely fits the theme - that and it looked really cool in my b/w little display thingy :D

Wonderful first entry... I'll be expecting great things from you!!
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    I just went back over all the entries and I really am not sure how I managed to narrow my list down to 16. Honestly, there are so many in there that are just awesome shots. I am really impressed with this round.

A huge thank you to everyone who put my shot on their list. It is truly and deeply appreciated!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Here are my top 11 picks, although I must say that there are at least another half dozen that I love. Great work everyone. The entries just get better and better. Good luck to everyone!!

Virginia

202989826-L.jpg

P.S. As I post this, my copyright notice is showing although I have turned it off in my gallery for this photo. I'm too tired to wait up any longer to see if SM has removed it as I have asked it to do about 4 times now, but rest assured that I am not claiming the copyrights to any of the above photos, although I wish I had the right to claim some of them (maybe all of them) as mine! rolleyes1.gif

Email
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Congratualtions to all the winners. And those that didn't...it's all subjective. That's whats cool about this whole affair! Sweet but not so tender. "craggy vs smooth" will errupt, i'm sure.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Well this is late........or the judges are early!!!! But I thought I'd post it anyway! As usual, it was a tough selection. If your shot is not represented here, no doubt you were in my first cull because I loved so many of them!!!! Congrats to those who won and for those who didn't........keep on trying!
    203000386-M.jpg
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Here are my top 11 picks, although I must say that there are at least another half dozen that I love. Great work everyone. The entries just get better and better. Good luck to everyone!!

Virginia

202989826-L.jpg

P.S. As I post this, my copyright notice is showing although I have turned it off in my gallery for this photo. I'm too tired to wait up any longer to see if SM has removed it as I have asked it to do about 4 times now, but rest assured that I am not claiming the copyrights to any of the above photos, although I wish I had the right to claim some of them (maybe all of them) as mine! rolleyes1.gif

Virginia,

Thank you for including my entry in your top picks. So many great photographs! I'm glad that my picture had some meaning for you.

And thank you, and all the others for taking the time to post a list.
    Randy
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Well this is late........or the judges are early!!!! But I thought I'd post it anyway! As usual, it was a tough selection. If your shot is not represented here, no doubt you were in my first cull because I loved so many of them!!!! Congrats to those who won and for those who didn't........keep on trying!
    203000386-M.jpg

Saurora,

Thank you for your previous comments on my entry, and I'm happy that my photo made your list. Even though the judges didn't include it, I still feel it was a successful photograph for what I was trying to accomplish.

Thanks again.
    Randy