Options

Moving from LightRoom to Bridge/CS3

zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited January 6, 2008 in Finishing School
Not sure if this is the correct thread, please move as necessary.

I've been using LR for the past 4 months, but I've been shown the light with Bridge/CS3. I know I could use both, but I'm interested in keeping my workflow as simple as possible.

So, my question... How do I get the xmp data from LR into Bridge? I see that Bridge writes .XMP files in the same dir as the photo. IIRC LR keeps all of that data in a DB. Any suggestions?
Travis

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Not sure if this is the correct thread, please move as necessary.

I've been using LR for the past 4 months, but I've been shown the light with Bridge/CS3. I know I could use both, but I'm interested in keeping my workflow as simple as possible.

So, my question... How do I get the xmp data from LR into Bridge? I see that Bridge writes .XMP files in the same dir as the photo. IIRC LR keeps all of that data in a DB. Any suggestions?

I beleive there is some obscure export function in LR. I did it once, it works. Play with one image, you'll find it in no time. deal.gif

Welcome to Bridgefolks! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I beleive there is some obscure export function in LR. I did it once, it works. Play with one image, you'll find it in no time. deal.gif

Welcome to Bridgefolks! clap.gif

Thanks! wings.gifwings.gif
    Select image(s) -> Metadata -> Save Metadata to File(s) :ivar

Don't know why I couldn't find that... bowdown.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    I moved this thread to Finishing School. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Is Bridge vastly improved in CS3? I always found it frustrating to use in CS and CS2 for all but the smallest of photo jobs. Get too many photos in any given directory and it starts to crawl. Nice filtering options, nice Photoshop and batching integration, but the lack of performance killed me.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Is Bridge vastly improved in CS3? I always found it frustrating to use in CS and CS2 for all but the smallest of photo jobs. Get too many photos in any given directory and it starts to crawl. Nice filtering options, nice Photoshop and batching integration, but the lack of performance killed me.

Briefly: yes deal.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Was there something that you didn't like about LR that made you jump to Bridge?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Briefly: yes deal.gif
    headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    Yes = Bridge was vastly improved in CS3 compared to CS2 (File browser in CS was a joke)
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes = Bridge was vastly improved in CS3 compared to CS2 (File browser in CS was a joke)

Sure. But really, it's atrociously sucktastic compared to Lightroom. Every time I have to open Bridge I throw up a little in my mouth.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2007
    Was there something that you didn't like about LR that made you jump to Bridge?

Adding CS3 to my work flow. I don't/didn't use any of the features in LR that aren't in Bridge. Both have the same problems opening large directories (though mine aren't THAT huge, I generally max out at about 300 on a given day). Using Bridge simplified my work flow by allowing me to edit in ACR the same way I would in LR and then go on to PS much more easily.

I have to say, that if I had bought LR and did not own a copy of CS3, I probably wouldn't have made the change. The cost of the software would outweigh the convenience of work flow. However, I happen to have a copy of CS3. So, it was pretty simple.

HTH
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    Sure. But really, it's atrociously sucktastic compared to Lightroom. Every time I have to open Bridge I throw up a little in my mouth.
    Bill,
    I said it before and I say it again: being a DB/software guy, I inherently do not trust the software that relies on two sources (DB and FS) at the same time. Call me paranoid... deal.gif
    I don't care how much slower Bridge is/may be, as long as I know that it operates over NTFS, which is as reliable as any file system can be.
    OTOH, I also happen to know that LR uses MySQL engine, which I personally treat on par with MS Access. OK for the non-important stuff, but I wouldn't trust my images solemnly to it. ne_nau.gif
    Only IMHO...
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Bill,
    I said it before and I say it again: being a DB/software guy, I inherently do not trust the software that relies on two sources (DB and FS) at the same time. Call me paranoid... deal.gif
    I don't care how much slower Bridge is/may be, as long as I know that it operates over NTFS, which is as reliable as any file system can be.
    OTOH, I also happen to know that LR uses MySQL engine, which I personally treat on par with MS Access. OK for the non-important stuff, but I wouldn't trust my images solemnly to it. ne_nau.gif
    Only IMHO...

If you have Lightroom write out .XMP files next to your RAW files then the database can be recontructed from the file system any time you want to. After a year and almost 11,000 images, I have found the way Lightroom handles the mirrored data to be quite robust.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    If you have Lightroom write out .XMP files next to your RAW files then the database can be recontructed from the file system any time you want to. After a year and almost 11,000 images, I have found the way Lightroom handles the mirrored data to be quite robust.

I know. But it's a hassle. I prefer a single data source.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

If you use Lightroom as a simple file brower, I guess I can see preferring Bridge. For me, one of the big wins of using Lighroom is that the way browse my photos no longer has to match the way I store them on disc. I now largely use metadata to find my images which frees me organize my file system for optimal storage, archival and backup.
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    If you use Lightroom as a simple file brower, I guess I can see preferring Bridge. For me, one of the big wins of using Lighroom is that the way browse my photos no longer has to match the way I store them on disc. I now largely use metadata to find my images which frees me organize my file system for optimal storage, archival and backup.
    That's the big selling point to programs like iView Media Pro, it allows multiple views of your data set (image collection) very much like a data base allows multiple views of the same tables. File browsers cannot do that. The one thing I don't like about iVMP is its kinda clunky interface to Photoshop.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Bill,

You're a DB guy but you don't trust a database mwink.gif

Plus, as was already mentioned, you can save the info in XMP sidecar files (LR can do it automatically, actually), if you want. It's slower, but then again Bridge is as well.
    Only IMHO...

LR doesn't actually use MySQL as the engine. It uses an embedded database called SQLite. Still, sure, it doesn't support big, Oracle-style transactions, but that also makes it like 100 times faster (er, has 100 times less latency) than Oracle.

I really don't have any concerns about data integrity with LR for the above reasons, also you can set LR to prompt you to do a database integrity check and backup on a regular basis (I have mine set to a week). And if you should somehow lose the database (and not have XMP files saved), you still don't lose your data... you just lose the metadata, ratings, and adjustments for any files where you haven't yet written out the XMP files (I leave auto-update of XMP off as it's a lot faster).

LR is WAY faster than brige for sorting, rating, and quick adjustments (Heck, Bridge doesn't do adjustments... it opens up ACR for RAW files). It's much better at this quick stuff. I really only ever open up Photoshop if I absolutely NEED to do an edit that requires masking, or if I want to do a panorama. 95% of all editing I need to do can be done in LR, and that makes it way way faster than using Photoshop (whose complex interface I've never really grokked, which is rough considering I'm a computer guy mwink.gif ).

Anyway... of course there's no reason I'd say you need to use LR if it doesn't interest you, but IMO concerns about data integrity are unfounded. Aperture's the same way.
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nik: I'm quite surprised you don't like MySQL. I'd think it would be your cup of tea. Have to chat on that one.

SQLite is a nice, lightweight compromise between flat files and a true RDBMS. I do have some worries about how robust it is for large collections, but for my meager 4k images it is doing well. Since the database is a flat file, it is very easy to recreate and backup. The backup in LR is fast enough, that I backup once a week and I'm going to work on an automator so I can run backup daily.

The differences between Bridge, Photoshop and Lightroom are nicely covered at Adobe's site for anyone interested. The biggest difference betwen BR and LR is LR's management of image data is tailored for photographers, so only the photography-oriented fearures of BR are in LR.

Like most technology choices, I think this comes down to preference and comfort. There really is no "right" way as far as I can see. For me, LR works great because Photoshop is a small part of my workflow for a small percentage of my images, so "right click, open in Photoshop" doesn't cramp my style. For someone (like Nik or zweilbumen) who use Photoshop for most of their workflow and most of their images, Bridge makes total sense.

Use the tools that get the job done in a way that works for you.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    CatOne wrote:
    LR doesn't actually use MySQL as the engine. It uses an embedded database called SQLite. Still, sure, it doesn't support big, Oracle-style transactions, but that also makes it like 100 times faster (er, has 100 times less latency) than Oracle.

You're right, it's SQLite. I was a bit distracted with the whole ER thingie last nite...
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:

Isn't that DNG?
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    Isn't that DNG?
    Short answer: no mwink.gif
  • Options
    billg71billg71 Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Thanks! wings.gifwings.gif
    Select image(s) -> Metadata -> Save Metadata to File(s) :ivar

Don't know why I couldn't find that... bowdown.gif

That be it! Just for curiosity, why the move? I use LR/PSE5/CaptureNX and don't really have any experience with Bridge/PSxxx. Is there really that much of a benefit?

TIA,

Bill
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2007
    This thread is quite interesting as I am pretty happy with my workflow but am starting to see the wholes in the data path that I have setup. I think I will turn on the write the XMP files.

Assuming I do that, can I move between them easily? I prefer the spray paint and erase feature of the keyword tools in Lightroom. Has anyone found a way to do it in Bridge?headscratch.gif
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited October 15, 2007
    This thread is quite interesting as I am pretty happy with my workflow but am starting to see the wholes in the data path that I have setup. I think I will turn on the write the XMP files.

Make sure you have LR1.2 update...deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Make sure you have LR1.2 update...deal.gif

Yup.

I will admit that I am easing into it at the moment after reading all the info. I just got CS3 at the office (I am not a photographer, it is a hobby for me) so I am using Bridge there and seeing how it works. So far my big complaint is the speed.... I got no patience. However I do like that at work I can see more formats.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    Yup.

I will admit that I am easing into it at the moment after reading all the info. I just got CS3 at the office (I am not a photographer, it is a hobby for me) so I am using Bridge there and seeing how it works. So far my big complaint is the speed.... I got no patience. However I do like that at work I can see more formats.
    Lol if you think Bridge CS3 is bad. You would have thrown Bridge CS2 of a cliff! Vast improvements over CS2.

One thing Adobe believes (and it's mostly true) is that if your using digital media like this. You have a machine that has the capacity to handle this.

Most photogs and graphic designers have whoop tail machines that launch Br in under 2 seconds and launch PS in under 3.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Most photogs and graphic designers have whoop tail machines that launch Br in under 2 seconds and launch PS in under 3.

If you do any siginificant amout of photo processing, you owe it to yourself to use a RAID for your primary drive. These days you can install a 1TB RAID 0 in your computer for not much over $250. In terms of bang for the buck, that's the best deal going in computer upgrades.
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Lol if you think Bridge CS3 is bad. You would have thrown Bridge CS2 of a cliff! Vast improvements over CS2.

One thing Adobe believes (and it's mostly true) is that if your using digital media like this. You have a machine that has the capacity to handle this.

I had CS2 on demo and thought Bridge was horrible then. When we went to order it, CS3 was shipping.

In terms of power my work machine, it ain't bad but the big complaint I have is the 5,400 RPM hard drive. However couple that with it being a laptop with Dual Core 2GHz 4GB RAM it is pretty cool.

But I will say this, I have learned that being able to preview the drawing before opening it is probably worth the time savings. I am usually looking at drawings in Illustrator, EPS, or TIF format.
    -=Bradford

• Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    billg71 wrote:
    That be it! Just for curiosity, why the move? I use LR/PSE5/CaptureNX and don't really have any experience with Bridge/PSxxx. Is there really that much of a benefit?

TIA,

Bill

I'm not familiar with CaptureNX at all, and I've not used Elements, though I have a vague awareness of it. So, I can't really say if there's a benefit. I just know that this workflow is working well for me (the Bridge/CS3 flow). I was using LR/CS, and opening things in CS because such a hassle that I just stopped using it. If I hadn't learned so many useful tools at the workshop using CS3, I doubt I would have changed. And there's a small chance I'll go back to LR and just use CS3 when I want to use those features, but right now I'm getting a lot of bang for my buck out of layers and masks. Regional work FTW.

HTH,
    Travis
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2007
    But I will say this, I have learned that being able to preview the drawing before opening it is probably worth the time savings. I am usually looking at drawings in Illustrator, EPS, or TIF format.
    Ya that's where Bridge is great. I have allot of .eps, .ai, .this & .that files that I can browse just like I'm viewing a picture thumbnail. Bridge is still in my quick launch app. Just not clicked on as much these days.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Using the fact that CS3 is so much better than CS2 and therefore must be good is like saying a crap from a poodle is smaller than the crap from a german shepherd and therefore it must smell okay eek7.gif