Options

Unofficial LPS 15 Feedback Thread

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited November 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Post your favorites here, tell us why and beat those judges. That's the game folks: ante up.

Jesse

(Psst: Don't vote for you own, we know you like it the best)

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    My favorites
    214228441-L.jpg

212634035-L-LB

SO many great entries, but these are 2 of my favorites ;)

Of course I hope to best them, but losing to a great photo is definitely something I can live with.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL!

(I wonder why there are no CG entries - they would have their best chance with this topic! - or maybe they're just that good now)
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Wayyyy too many favourites to pin them down. I was writing a list but stopped at over 20!!! I was using theme and wall-hanger material, just such an exceptional standard!

Just well done!!! I think this has been the best to date, just fantastic! I do not envy the judges!!!!!
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    In no particular order...
    214303454-M.jpg

I had a great time putting this together, just look at it! There is some amazing stuff here! Well done everyone, and good luck!
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Toughest Yet
    214316228-L.jpg

Top ten, plus a few more.
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I for one just can't see any clear answer to this. The level of growth over this contest, and especially over the past few cycles, has made it so that there are just too many entries for me to decide on any top 10. I am just stunned at the number of quality images that I see....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I for one just can't see any clear answer to this. The level of growth over this contest, and especially over the past few cycles, has made it so that there are just too many entries for me to decide on any top 10. I am just stunned at the number of quality images that I see....

Bah! Pick! You can do it!
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Impossible to narrow down to 10 and I don't even know that 12 is enough.

But anyway, here it is:

214324839-L.jpg
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Amazing Round
    There were so many amazing excellent entries, how can anyone choose? But here is my best attempt. I leaned toward the photos that took extra or special skills to capture. The ones that made me wonder "now just how was that done".headscratch.gif
    Congraulations to the LPS 15 class. You are awesome!!!clap.gif

LPS15Picks.jpg
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • Options
    imaximax Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    My Top Ten
    In No Particular Order

Top Ten
    • Violet Darter at 1.5x
    • Waiting for vampires
    • Lovely Legs
    • An Automotive Kaleidoscope
    • Bridal View
    • Sparks
    • Art Alley
    • Ghost Catcher
    • No Problem
    • Fall's Final Fling
    214388568-L.jpg

Best of luck to everyone

Joe
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    The whole round was really great and it's so hard to choose the favs - too many brilliant photos. But, I have only one number one:) , which is

#5 Shear Contrivances
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I'm glad I wasn't a judge for this round
    You guys are killing me! rolleyes1.gif

I think this entire thread needs to be a featured gallery all unto itself.

210660546-Th.jpg210053735-Th.jpg213042591-Th.jpg

211661257-Th.jpg214106668-Th.jpg212039203-Th-3.jpg

212228575-Th.jpg213019187-Th.jpg213202282-Th.jpg

212019691-Th-1.jpg213898484-Th.jpg213841977-Th.jpg
  • Options
    kenlynekenlyne Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif The poor judges rolleyes1.gif GREAT entries everyone!! clap.gif
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Bah! Pick! You can do it!

OK OK... Only YOU could get me to respond to this. I was just so worn out from yet another horse show weekend in which I couldn't go to bed on time, as I was watching my Red Sox into the wee hours....

So... soooo many entries to consider, very very low percentage of throwouts.. I had 35 in my initial pass. These 13 are my favorites because they both moved me and they each took a different route from the usual. Why 13? Because I say so, that's why..... In no particular order:

006 tlee: Through the Jaded Mist
    Soooo delicate!

008 ulrikft: Ghosts of Autumn
    My favorite on the monochromatic side. This was like the first contestant tossing a long javelin throw, and no one else came close all day.

021 nelsonstuff: A Dad's Saturday Night
    Moved me because my two girls are no longer that small and have other things to do on Saturday nowadays..

022 sherstone: Berry Border
    Makes me long for Thanksgiving dinner. Or breakfast.

031 vandana: Drop City
    Was briefly my desktop background, but my younger daughter's picture was there when I woke up...

036 quark: Raindrop in Red
    Have any of you tried to see what's reflected by the drop?

057 MrsCue: Cerulean Dream
    Very soft indeed!

066 Awais Yaqub: Journey Back to Time
    This shot mesmerizes me somehow. The ramparts sometimes look like a cliff.

100 indiegirl: Woodland Sprite
    Darn you for getting your life in order at the last minute and snapping your finger for this one.. It's just that easy for you!

101 annnna8888: Fall Hues
    Considering your body of work, I so want to visit this country... I can tell the effort that went into the final image.

108 chandi: Watercolors
    I'm going to learn how to do this one..

109 tsk1979: Bangled
    To think you almost entered a cropped version, which would have ruined it. The inclusion of the neck and hair give the image a fanciful feminine feel.

127 leaforte: Winters Beginning
    It feels cold just to look at it, but the lines of the composition are what makes it work. You confused me when you couldn't make your mind up on which to enter.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    In entry order only. I put my two cents in for what it's worth.

#13 October Stew

The pastel colors and detail really draw me in.

#14 Lonely Reflections

Beautiful composition and colors

#22 Berry Border

Beautiful abstract composition with many classic composition elements.

#38 Journey into the Mist

I'm a sucker for these type of fog pictures. Extremely simple but conveys a lot of visual impact.

#48 Alien Emotions

Strong colors really drew me into the picture.

#49 Fall's Final Fling

Beautiful colors and composition. Almost like a painting in many respects.

#86 Morning Gold

Beautiful backlit subject. Nice control of the exposure with lots of interesting elements.

#91 Art Alley

I liked this shot as soon as I saw it. The beautiful lighting and strong colors drew me in instantly.

#100 Woodland Sprite

The bold colors and soft image really work well. Coupled with the pale skin everything really works.

#101 Fall Hues

Lighting and colors really stunning.
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Amazing photos...and I can't and won't begin to speculate on the top 10. The entries are vast and of many different compositions.

Congrats are in order to everyone!! Good Luck to ALL!!

I'm rooting for everyone, myself included :D and I wish the best to the judges who have a job ahead of them, and hopefully they will look at all the entries again for updates and revisions and hit the REFRESH button....mwink.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Amazing photos...and I can't and won't begin to speculate on the top 10. The entries are vast and of many different compositions.

Congrats are in order to everyone!! Good Luck to ALL!!

I'm rooting for everyone, myself included :D and I wish the best to the judges who have a job ahead of them, and hopefully they will look at all the entries again for updates and revisions and hit the REFRESH button....mwink.gif

Speaking of judges... are they a secret this time? or have they just not been choosen yet? I don't see them listed on the entry thread?

Winston
  • Options
    HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Agreed....
    HoofClix wrote:

It will be interesting to see the comments from the judges. This will be a tough round to for them. I am proud of my image that I submitted...but looking at the others...it is top 15 at best.

I would agree with your post here and else where...the quality level has gone up high...amazing work as been submitted of the last couple months.

Jon
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Speaking of judges... are they a secret this time? or have they just not been choosen yet? I don't see them listed on the entry thread?

Winston

Winston, I was wondering the same thing myself...ne_nau.gif Maybe the judges got scared...rolleyes1.gif

Although, I think for this round and viewing the outstanding compositions, I can understand Shay may be taking time to pick the appropriate judges...He might be looking for photographers that have extensive experience in the photography world?? Maybe due to the vast amount of entrants he might be looking for more than the typical 5??

Laughing.gif To Many "What If's" I guess we will just have to wait and see....this is going to be "Vellllllyyyyyy Intelestink"!! eek7.gif

Speaking of which.....Did Bistiart enter this round?

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Winston, I was wondering the same thing myself...ne_nau.gif Maybe the judges got scared...rolleyes1.gif

Although, I think for this round and viewing the outstanding compositions, I can understand Shay may be taking time to pick the appropriate judges...He might be looking for photographers that have extensive experience in the photography world?? Maybe due to the vast amount of entrants he might be looking for more than the typical 5??

Laughing.gif To Many "What If's" I guess we will just have to wait and see....this is going to be "Vellllllyyyyyy Intelestink"!! eek7.gif

Speaking of which.....Did Bistiart enter this round?

Donna

The judges list has been posted!

I don't recall seeing an entry from Bistiart?

Winston
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks fashitzngrins, Indigirl and Sunsetsailor for your encouragement and putting Fire in the Sky in your top picks.

When I can take a breather today, I intend to get my top picks up, too. It'll probably be more like the top 50... but... DANG!
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks to Indiegirl
    Thanks for listing me as one of your top tens. I appreciate it. Overwhelming number of spectacular photos.

Good luck to everyone.:D
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    OK, besides my own of courserolleyes1.gif
    here's as far as I could narrow my favorites down.

214553043-M.jpg

What a tough choice. My first pass through I had 32 favs. I truly had to go back through and choose ones that to me fit the theme. There are some amazing images that I didn't choose, simply because they didn't say "colorful" or "monochromatic" as well as these did. I tried to stay clear of images that had been converted into monochromatic or items put together just because they were colorful. To me there was something about the challenge of finding monochromatic/colorful in existence rather than generated. The one true exception for me was "Curiosity" .....the conversion and tint were just too beautiful to pass over.

Well done and kudos to everyone.bowdown.gif
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Speechless
    Havelock wrote:
    The whole round was really great and it's so hard to choose the favs - too many brilliant photos. But, I have only one number one:) , which is

#5 Shear Contrivances

Thank you Havelock, considering the amazing images that have been entered this round, this truly is a compliment.

Peter, I made your top 12! Thank you.

Granted, I would love to be one of the official top ten.......but if not, considering it's only my second time entering....simply having a few people put mine in their top is an improvement for me over last round and quite a compliment.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Another round of great photos clap.gif.

214582768-O.jpg
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    My faves (severely whittled down from my first pass through) in random order:

214590523-M.jpg

I'm still a bit floored by the sheer number of entries this round. Crazy! clap.gif
  • Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Here's my top ten and some other favorites, in no particular order. Pre-congrats to the ten that make it through this extremely talent-filled round!

Oh, and I apologize for the distortion of some of these wonderful images. I'm just brand new with CS3 and have a ton to learn!

214611845-M-0.jpg
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks for all the great feedback guys! You reall make my day.. :) Seriously!

My favourites 5 in random order:

Lonely reflection by photogmomma

Drop City by vandana

Early morning silence by pyroPrints.com

Cerulean Dream by MrsCue

Heated Pool by sunsetsailor

Great Round! :)
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    jendesignjendesign Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2007
    my faves...
    214630994-M.jpg

many thanks to those who've picked my photo as a favorite! that's so encouraging for my first entry. I agree with those who have had pity on the judges...there are a lot of fantastic shots up.

Above is my group of 10 that most caught my eye...looks like I'm drawn to horizontal monochromatics...though the woodland sprite is stunning! beautiful work, indiegirl!

jen
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    hey, least I made *someone's* top 10-12.

*moves to "W" column*

THANKS GREENSQUARED!
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    My fav's.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.