Options

Unofficial LPS 15 Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I made it into 8 members choices. Yippee! clap.gif
    Thank you to indiegirl, hoofclix, shudderz, llwellyn, greensquared, ulrikft, jendesign and davev for choosing my entry.

Here are my favourites. ( Should I have put my own in there? I thought about it mwink.gif )

1799981011_88eb1598f9_o.jpg
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Wow! I'm on a couple of top 10 lists! eek7.gif Unreal... Thank you!!! iloveyou.gif

I keep looking through the photos and I'm seriously blown away. Like I never have been before! I can't pick top 10 - I always get wrapped into it too much to do that... And to post 'em? Sorry! Laughing.gif!

Awesome job everyone!

(And thanks again!)
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Yippee! I feel like a winner! I'm on more fave lists than I've ever been on before! Thanks so much to those of you who chose Morning Gold!

As far as posting my own faves, I need to go read about how to do those cool collage thingies, and then maybe I'll attempt it...maybe...this group looks impossible to narrow down.

Thanks and congrats to all who entered!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks Shudderz
    Just wanted to say thank you for mentioning me in your top ten, much appreciated.

Peace, Gail
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    What a thrill it was to find my entry among Laura's, Linda's and Heather's top choices. :ivar It gave me quite a high - almost better than making the top 10, especially in this amazingly strong field where even some of the really great ones won't make it simply because there are too many fabulous entries. I'm very glad I'm not a judge on this one.

Best of luck to everyone who entered. Now, I am going to try to pick out my top choices. Not sure I will be able to do it. Wow! Wow! Wow! Great work everyone. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    214727266-L.jpg

For what it's worth... here are my top 16... 8 very colorful shots and 8 very monochrome shots...

Winston
  • Options
    sunitasunita Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    My top ten
    Haven't really felt like shooting much lately, and looking at the stunning entries, I was more than a little intimidated to even try and enter this round...silly, I know.

That said, great job everyone! clap.gifclapclap.gif The level of photography is improving by leaps and bounds!

Here is my list:
    #3 - Greensquared - Autumnal Offerings - Very warm and lovely
    #5 - Shudderz - Shear Contrivances - The sepia tone seems perfect here
    #16 - JWear - The Day the music died - Lighting is superb
    #20 - Mark Todd - Atomic Ball - Colorful is what first comes to mind
    #22 - Sherstone - Berry Border - A masterpiece. Lovely composition!
    #47 - Travis - Neon Roost - Great capture and colorful!
    #90 - Flyinggina - Curiosity - Lovely photo! One of my favourites!
    #97 - LiquidAir - Ghost catcher - Stunning capture!
    #98 - Halite - Ophelia's Tresses - Unusual composition and colors
    #108 - Chandi - Watercolors - Colorful all the way

Special mentions:
    #31 - vandana -Dropcity
    #107 - Imax - Trick or Treat
    #126 - bch2300 - Drops on a web
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    sunita wrote:
    #5 - Shudderz - Shear Contrivances - The sepia tone seems perfect here
    jendesign wrote:
    Above is my group of 10 that most caught my eye...looks like I'm drawn to horizontal monochromatics...
    jen

Thank you. Those that have included me in their tops have completely made my day. I am floored.

Sunita, I hope you feel like shooting again soon!
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks Indie and Shudderz for liking my gerbera iloveyou.gifbarb

I loved this theme as I generally shoot looking for b&w and sepia, so as shudderz stated, I kept looking for something that was simply colourful in reality!!!

Thank goodness for the husband bearing gerberas mid contest rolleyes1.gifas all of our roses and azaleas are suffering from dought exhaustion and no sunsets to be seen with our weird weather. :cry

So pleased others liked this as well, sure is going on my wall as one of the few times I actually did colour well rolleyes1.gif

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Congratulations to all entrants!

Thanks to all who took the time to look at my entry.
    And a special thank you to those who included me on their short list.

My Top Ten (what a challenge!)

214760309-L.jpg
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited October 29, 2007
    Thanks, too, to Winston and Sunita for including Curiosity in your picks. It is amazing how good it feels when one of your peers picks your photo out of such a terrific field. I feel like a real winner today!

Here, in no particular order, are my picks, but I have to say that some of my favorites are missing because I thought they didn't quite meet the themes as well as the ones I picked. For me, at least half of the entries are wall hangers.

214774902-L.jpg

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    MadridMadrid Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Hello everyone. Great entries!!

These are my more than my 10 favorite pictures. On the left side, are the monochromatic and on the right side, the colorfull pics. My selection is based on how I interpret the theme. I understand monochromotic as one color only, so I have omitted all those that have a lot of black contrasting with another color and looked at the whites carefully to see if they were within the same tone. In the colorfull area, I have chosen those that have contrasting colors, even if they were not complete rainbows. Of course, this is first a matter of taste and second on how I interpret the theme. Nonetheless, congratulations to all for the excellent quality. If it where not to follow the theme, there are many others that are my favorite photographies.

214796552-L.jpg
  • Options
    TookyTooky Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 29, 2007
    There were so many fantastic photos!!! Thanks to richtersl, flying gina, and madrid for including me in their favorites. I haven't really taken part in these contests but I've always admired everyone's work here.

It was so hard to choose but my top five are #97 ghost catcher, #108 watercolors, #43 early morning silence, #57 cerulean dream, and #48 alien emotions.

Good luck to all!!
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    I am honored to see so many of you picking "berry border" within your top 10

Thank you. :D

The official picks are out and once again the picks here are similar but different. Just like each one of us.
  • Options
    kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    well I obviously don't have a clue as my HUGE list had so many names on it and surprisingly, apart from the day the music died, none are in the top 10 ne_nau.gif so, I guess I am not getting the theme correctly at all rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    D the ShadowmanD the Shadowman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks for picking my image in the few top 10s here. Glad to see someone enjoyed a bit of automotive art...

Some were a bit cliché for my taste, but others were fantastic. Twas a fun contest to be a part of.

Cheers,
    D
  • Options
    MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    My thanks to those of you who enjoyed my little rubber ball! Congrats to those of you who made the finals!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    I feel pretty silly to post my picks AFTER the official scores have been made public, but, hey, it's just an opinion...lol3.gif

214899301-L.jpg

Great round, everybody! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks for picking me in your Top Picks Virginia...Sorry I let you down ne_nau.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I feel pretty silly to post my picks AFTER the official scores have been made public, but, hey, it's just an opinion...lol3.gif
    Great round, everybody! clap.gif

Please don't feel silly.......Having recently "de-lurked" this was only my second entry. I was a little disappointed that I didn't make the scores at all. But then there was this glimmer of hope..........I made your list.

After seeing and admiring the work that you've produced on here, I am truly honored to have made your top picks. I am floored that I made a few people's favorites.

Best of luck in the semi-finals, and once again thank you for posting this even after the scores were announced. I for one, can't thank you enough.

LPS #16............bring it on.
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks to those who had mine on their list (through the jaded mist). I did not place this round , or in any so far :cry:D. But, I have been improving in the over all rankings. These challenges are a great learning tool for me. Sorry to have been lazy, for not posting any favs this time--just way too many awesome ones to choose from!!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks to everyone who included "Journey into the Mist" on their list. iloveyou.gif It didn't even raise an eyebrow with the judges ne_nau.gif . But, oh well, life goes on and there truly were some spectacular entries this round.

:D I'm very happy that my photo attracted your "unofficial" attention and this has given me the confidence to submit it into a local exhibit to see how it will do.
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Nikolai,

Thanks for putting my image on your list. Makes me feel a little better to see it on a list finally.

There are just too many good pictures out there in this round. I don't think that I'd be able to judge this one.

Regards,
    James
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Hey, Donna - You didn't let me down at all!! I still love your entry and I know I'm not the only one. Besides, if you let me down, all of us who were included in unofficial tallies but didn't win let down the people who picked our photo. Obviously, that just isn't true. deal.gif

I am thrilled and honored that some people picked my photo in their unoffical lists and only slightly chagrined that I got not one vote from the judges. (I didn't expect to make the top ten, but a vote or two would have been nice. )

Virginia

Tentacion wrote:
    Thanks for picking me in your Top Picks Virginia...Sorry I let you down ne_nau.gif

Email
  • Options
    SunsetSailorSunsetSailor Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Diversity
    Thanks to those who picked my photo and thanks to those who didn't for they picked equally or better ones than mine. I LOVE this thread because it brings home to me how different we all are in what we do as artists and what we appreciate in art. Keep you picks coming, your collections may just inspire and motiviate the LPS final winner!
    Laura
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif] The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown

Olympus EVolt 500
    [/FONT]
    http://sunsetsailor.smugmug.com
  • Options
    MadridMadrid Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    This time, I am amazed at the difference in what the unofficial top photographs and what the judges picked. That says so much about taste and interpretation of a topic and reminds me of those great painters of the XIX century who were dismissed by others, later to become masters of the medium. That should encourage those who didn't make it and those who did. Awesome work everyone!!!!!
  • Options
    TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks to all that selected my photo in their top picks. I was actually a bit shocked because I never did get the composition to be satisfactory to me. Then again, we can often be our own harshest critics. I applaud everyone that made selections. clap.gif I couldn't narrow my list down enough to come close.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Nicholai -

I was very pleased to see my entry in your selection collage. Thanks!iloveyou.gif And congrats on getting some official votes on yours, which is one of my favs from all of the entries. The only reason it didn'tmake my top 12 was that it wasn't as "colorful" as some I wanted to include. The whimsy and beauty, not to mention the technical perfection, make it a wall hanger. Is it available for sale?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Nicholai -

The whimsy and beauty, not to mention the technical perfection, make it a wall hanger. Is it available for sale?

Virginia

Wow, that's a best comment I could hope for. clap.gif
    Let me rework it a bit. LPS only operates on 800x800x72dpi, so I didn't prepare it for printing yet.
    I also wanted to add some room on the sides. Hopefully I'll have it done by tonight. I'll post the link here then:-) thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks for all the mentions!

I wonder--I had uploaded a less worthy image, then replaced it. The need to "refresh" when viewing at the end of a challenge is something I had not done before, wonder if that affected my results.