Options

Shooting at night

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Aviator327 wrote:
    Speaking of shooting at night, Any tips on taking a picture of a car at night using existing light? As an example, taking a pic on a dealership lot which is well lit with those large lights that illuminate the whole area. what settings.ie, shutter speed, ISO, aperature would be recommended? I would be using a tripod and my Canon 10D. Any input would be appreciated or if anyone has a pic of a car night pic would help. Thanks

With all due respect, we can guess all night here (pun intended:-) and don't even come close to what just a couple of minutes of test shooting and analyzing the histogram would give you. deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    With all due respect, we can guess all night here (pun intended:-) and don't even come close to what just a couple of minutes of test shooting and analyzing the histogram would give you. deal.gif

Thanks for the reply. I plan on going out when it get dark to take a few "test shots". Never thought about using the histogram.
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Aviator327 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply. I plan on going out when it get dark to take a few "test shots". Never thought about using the histogram.

Glad to be of help. Histogram totally eliminates the guess factor. It's not *always* usable, e.g. it's almost useless when the light changes very fast (that is, unless you have a "live" one, which 10D doesn't have), but in your case it looks like a perfect tool for the job.

Good luck, dont' forget to share the final results! thumb.gif
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Raphy wrote:
    Great thread... i'm just starting out with dslrs and have just been out once shoooting at night... just messing around with the settings, as i'm just getting used to my new dslr...

1769308434_fffe59d5f6.jpg
    Exposure:30 sec (30)Aperture:f/22Focal Length:55 mmISO Speed:800Exposure Bias:0/6 EV

1769321908_19a34c4eb1.jpg

With different White Balance settings:

1682593661_92a0c7e562_m.jpg1682592459_ee40e75fac_m.jpg

1769312152_59b0f78774.jpg

1768466449_8de2959f23.jpg
    Exposure:0.002 sec (1/500)Aperture:f/5.6Focal Length:200 mmISO Speed:200Exposure Bias:0/6 EV
    Were you in the Space Shuttle when you shot this?
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    KED wrote:
    Were you in the Space Shuttle when you shot this?
    To all of you have been involved in this great thread, a newbie question: why such high aperture values? Instinctively I would have thought that the more wide open the better?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited November 2, 2007
    Smaller apertures ( high numbered f stops like f16 or f22 ) result in longer exposures and vastly greater depth of field.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Scott BoyScott Boy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    You're 3rd shot here is just AWSOME, very cool

clap.gif Here are a couple I took on the weekend, after this thread inspired me to get out and play at night.

215672659-L.jpg

215677558-L.jpg

215671997-L.jpg[/quote]
  • Options
    Aviator327Aviator327 Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Went out last night and took a few test shots. The yellowish hue is from the overhead lights in the parking lot. This night shooting may be interesting.

88279662.qEpkidp9.jpg
    CANON 1D 10D 40D
    EF50MM 1.4
    EF50MM 1.8 MKI
    EF28-135MM IS USM
    EF 17-40MM F4L
    EF 70-200MM f4L
    CANON 580EX
  • Options
    Izzy GaravitoIzzy Garavito Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    suggestions welcome!
    Hey all, this is from my first time out at night ever. please tell me what you think or how the shots could be better!

St__Paul_at_night_by_IzzyGaravito.jpg

quadtone:

St__Paul_at_night_quadtone_by_IzzyGaravito.jpg
  • Options
    GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Scott Boy wrote:
    Thanks Scott Boy.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Scott Boy wrote:

clap.gif Here are a couple I took on the weekend, after this thread inspired me to get out and play at night.

215671997-L.jpg
    [/quote]

Hey Scottboy, I love the sharpiness of this shot. what was the exif? with my night shots I find that the longer i keep the shutter open the less focused (softer) the photos look. I use a tripod and electronic remote release. So I can't seem to get tack sharp pics with long exposures and small appertures, and have to compromise my DOF with sharpness. Is that usual when shooting at night (this is way past sunset, say midnight)
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Today I made this shot on the beach.
    216778249-M-2.jpg

EXIF = Date Taken 2007-11-03 18:59:41 CameraCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL Exposure Time 25s Aperture f/22.0 ISO100 Focal Length 35mm Flashflash did not fire, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program shutter priority
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Today I made this shot on the beach.
    216778249-M-2.jpg

EXIF = Date Taken 2007-11-03 18:59:41 CameraCanon EOS 350D DIGITAL Exposure Time 25s Aperture f/22.0 ISO100 Focal Length 35mm Flashflash did not fire, compulsory flash mode Exposure Program shutter priority

Is that the moon on the left? good shot!
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    one more:

and Please, any comments/suggestions/criticizms are welcome as I really want to improve my night shooting!

Canon 30D
    17-55mm EO-S
    F/8.0
    13/1 shutter
    17mm focal length

Stone_Arch_Bridge_by_IzzyGaravito.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007

Hey Scottboy, I love the sharpiness of this shot. what was the exif? with my night shots I find that the longer i keep the shutter open the less focused (softer) the photos look. I use a tripod and electronic remote release. So I can't seem to get tack sharp pics with long exposures and small appertures, and have to compromise my DOF with sharpness. Is that usual when shooting at night (this is way past sunset, say midnight)

Hi Izzy, that was actually my pic. I think Scottboy lost one of the quote tags when he quoted my posting, adding a little confusion to whose pic that was.

That shot was 15 sec exposure at 4.2f. Focal length 32mm. I don't really know why you don't get sharp pics at night ne_nau.gif I also use an electronic remote release... Perhaps at low aps your focus is not quite hitting the intended target and so getting lost in the shallow DOF??
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Is that the moon on the left? good shot!

Don't tell anyone, but he Moon was not there ! eek7.gif
    mwink.gifthumb
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Giphsub wrote:
    Hi Izzy, that was actually my pic. I think Scottboy lost one of the quote tags when he quoted my posting, adding a little confusion to whose pic that was.

That shot was 15 sec exposure at 4.2f. Focal length 32mm. I don't really know why you don't get sharp pics at night ne_nau.gif I also use an electronic remote release... Perhaps at low aps your focus is not quite hitting the intended target and so getting lost in the shallow DOF??

Hey Mike, my bad. great pic :) do you set your focus manually, then? what about when I'm using aps at 10-22? I usually let the auto focus do the job, but I'm finding that I might have to get a high power flashlight and do it myself. How do you all find focus at night?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    and the colors change when I post them for some reason -.- anyone know how to fix this?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    and the colors change when I post them for some reason -.- anyone know how to fix this?
    You're prolly working with AdobeRGB (or some other extended color space). Web is sRGB kingdom...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    With Guy Fawkes night tonight I went back through my photos from last year and thought I'd post some here:

108144109-XL-2.jpg

108144235-XL-2.jpg

108138189-XL-2.jpg
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007

How heavy is your tripod? do you use mirror lockup?

If you hold one of the legs of your tripod and hit the shutter, you will feel a shudder as the mirror flips up, the whole point of mirror lockup, is to reduce the mirror slap by hitting the shutter once to lockup the mirror, waiting a few seconds then hitting it again to open the shutter. This helps heaps with the sharpness in long exposure shots.

The sturdiness of your tripod is a big thing too, especially if there is any wind. My tripod has a hook in the center under the head. For night shots, I take some cord and hang my camera bag off this hook, I make it just touch the ground so that it won't swing around. All that extra weight pulling straight down makes it much more stable.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    You're prolly working with AdobeRGB (or some other extended color space). Web is sRGB kingdom...ne_nau.gif

Hey Nik, if I change the color space in the camera, will it stay consistent after post processing, or do I need to make some adjustments? and if I shot in adobe rgb, can I change it later, or is it finished?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    How heavy is your tripod? do you use mirror lockup?

If you hold one of the legs of your tripod and hit the shutter, you will feel a shudder as the mirror flips up, the whole point of mirror lockup, is to reduce the mirror slap by hitting the shutter once to lockup the mirror, waiting a few seconds then hitting it again to open the shutter. This helps heaps with the sharpness in long exposure shots.

The sturdiness of your tripod is a big thing too, especially if there is any wind. My tripod has a hook in the center under the head. For night shots, I take some cord and hang my camera bag off this hook, I make it just touch the ground so that it won't swing around. All that extra weight pulling straight down makes it much more stable.

Hey James, thanks for the tip! i hadn't thought about hanging my bag from my tripod headscratch.gif

I do use mirror lockup for night shots, but I'll try to hang the bag from the tripod and see how that works.

Thanks a ton
    Izzy
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Hey James, thanks for the tip! i hadn't thought about hanging my bag from my tripod headscratch.gif

I do use mirror lockup for night shots, but I'll try to hang the bag from the tripod and see how that works.

Thanks a ton
    Izzy

Using a (usually rather heavy:-) camera bag as a tripod stabilizer is a fairly common technique. Here's a sample from a small sunset shooting gallery:

216773589-L.jpg

If nothing else, it's much better to keep your bag up in the air than have it lying on a dusty ground and thus risking bringing more dust into our fragile gear... mwink.gif And if shooting in public places it's also one less point of concern that it get its own legs and walks away from you... rolleyes1.gif

HTH
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Excellent ^.^ Ill give it a shot and see if that's what I was missing. Hey Nik, how can I change my photos from adobe RGB to SRGB in post processing?
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Izzy, I used auto focus on those shots cos there was enough ambient light around.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Excellent ^.^ Ill give it a shot and see if that's what I was missing. Hey Nik, how can I change my photos from adobe RGB to SRGB in post processing?
    PS|Edit|Convert to Profile...
  • Options
    Scott BoyScott Boy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Hey Mike, my bad. great pic :) do you set your focus manually, then? what about when I'm using aps at 10-22? I usually let the auto focus do the job, but I'm finding that I might have to get a high power flashlight and do it myself. How do you all find focus at night?

Hey Izzy, I was using my auto focus at night and found that it just didn't focus very well in the dark. I've now swithced and started using the manual focus and I think it works a little better.. you may want to try that.

Scott
  • Options
    TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Here's a good general question for the urban night shooters out there - is there any really good white balance preset for shooting under sodium lights? I went through my big pile of shots from SF's Dia De Los Muertos parade (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=674660#post674660) from last friday, and it was a nightmre in post processing getting the colors right again.

Any tips/kelvin settings?
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    PS|Edit|Convert to Profile...

Nik, when I do that (sorry to ask in this thread, btw) and save as srgb the images look the same online as they did with aRGB. am I doing something wrong?