Options

MI V Wildlife Shoot - Opening shots

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    Harry it almost sounds like you've been w*#&^%g. Thanks for all the time you've put into this trip.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    borderbraeborderbrae Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Shootout info - RVs
    I made reservations earlier this fall at Space Coast RV Park, Rockledge, FL, Rt. 95, exit 195. Found it on line, there are quite a few RV parks in the Titusville area but given the time of year most were already booked. The price isn't bad, $309/week.

This sounds like such an interesting week, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of the folks on the list and going to new places to see the wildlife.

Jean
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
    http://www.borderbrae.wordpress.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Some additional info on the MI V Shoot

Wednesday, February 6th- The Avian Reconditioning Center in Apopka, Florida will host a photo shoot of some of their display birds which include:
    American Kestrel, Merlin, Peregrine Falcon, Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered-Red-tailed and Cooper's hawk, Barn, Great Horned, Barred and Screech Owls.
    2 birds will be available for falconry demonstrations: A Harris's Hawk and a Red-tailed hawk. The Pergrine is also available but is not definite as it depends on it's mood as well as weight on that day.

They ask for at least $10 per person as they rehab and release many raptors primarily through donations, minimum of 10 people-maximum 30 in attendance. Should there be an overwhelming response, we can book a second day if needed.

Thursday, February 7th- Climb aboard DolphinGirl Eco-tour Cruises! Take a sunrise cruise on a pontoon boat along the Indian River lagoon just outside Melbourne. Generally 2 1/2 -3 hour cruises. They will be accommodating as far as our needs as photographers and seeking out any wildlife photo ops. My friend is the on board naturalist guide and he will be looking out for nesting and roosting sites as the time draws near.
    Maximum 30 people- $25 per person. will book another should there be enough interest.

More details about the when and where's will be posted once I have a better idea as to how many of you would like to participate in these field trips. Please respond to this thread if you are interested in either of these outings so that we can make proper arrangements.
    Thanks.

Both outings sound very interesting, Harry. Please put me down for them.
    Jean
    Jean
    Canon 5D Mark III, 6D; Canon 17-40 F 4.0 L; Canon 24-105 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 70-200 f 4.0 IS L; Canon 100-400 IS L II; Samyang 14mm f 2.8; Samyang 24 mm f 1.4; Manfrotto tripod
    www.borderbraeimages.com
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    borderbrae wrote:
    Both outings sound very interesting, Harry. Please put me down for them.
    Jean

You're down for them Jean.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    That park is great and the manatees are really cute!
    118510693-M.jpg

Looks slightly familiar:
    225367163-L.jpg

Harry: for you:

225367357-L.jpg

OK, Hijack off. I will be at part of MIV -some will depend on work schedule - put me down for your hosted dinner!

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2007
    Zanotti wrote:

OK, Hijack off. I will be at part of MIV -some will depend on work schedule - put me down for your hosted dinner!

Z

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2007
    Put me down for the Apopka one, Harry. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    Harry, Nightingale and I will plan on arriving Feb 3 and departing Feb 8 or 9 depending.

We are interested in both the Raptor center and the boat ride also.

Looking forward to seeing you and Linda and everyone again this winter.

I haven't forgotten wildlife - I saw this on my back barn a few days ago - a red shouldered hawk I believe

231046381-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 11, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Harry, Nightingale and I will plan on arriving Feb 3 and departing Feb 8 or 9 depending.

We are interested in both the Raptor center and the boat ride also.

Looking forward to seeing you and Linda and everyone again this winter.

I haven't forgotten wildlife - I saw this on my back barn a few days ago - a red shouldered hawk I believe

231046381-L.jpg
    Isn't that the infamous pole hawk from Vierra? I think he missed you.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 11, 2007
    lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif

HI Nick.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    MI V Update
    Hi Y'all,

Here's the roll call of those who said they were coming to MIV. If you want to come and your name isn't on the list send me a PM or sound-off in this thread.
    MI V Roll Call

Harry
    Trish
    Nancy (Flygirl)
    Tom (wounded mallard)
    Jen W
    Pathfinder
    Nightingale
    Ron (Reggie)
    Louie Champan
    Frank (Flew)
    Bob Hoge
    Nan Hoge
    Nick (gluwater)
    BirdmanPhotographer
    Gordon large
    Stanjan
    Harris Brown
    Jean (borderbrae)
    Zanotti
    Mike Parker (cameraguy21773)
    Robin
    Johncarol
    Joseph473
    Chris Kelleher
    Nick (GonzoBernelli)
    Jose Suro
    Bolts (Pia)
    Olis
    John (jryoung)
    Kelly Hanlon (TheKO)
    Kevin Scott
    DW Brewer
    AlexF
    Jessie (Slingher)
    Chris (aerostat56)
    Richard Morrisseau
    Sue Morrisseau
    Ivan308
    Dawn (DM Rossner)
    Jack (JHorton)
    BillWChed
    PhilC
    Paulz

If you're not sure about coming I just spoke with Trish who relayed some unsettling news. She was speaking to one of the workers at the Viera Wetlands and the news wasn't great. The Dudas (the family who owns virtually all the land in Viera) are planning on building homes and condos on all the land surrounding the Wetlands. This will chase off much of the wildlife coming into the Wetlands to feed. Right now the fact that the eagles and caracaras are nesting there is delaying them but they have gotten around that in the past.

Additionally the water treatment plant feels that its costing them too much $ to maintain the roads in the wetlands and they don't think that they will be able to get enough grant $ to keep it going.

MI V might be one of your last chances to shoot at the Viera Wetlands.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    MI V might be one of your last chances to shoot at the Viera Wetlands.

That's terrible news Harry. Keep us informed on how this progresses.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    Harry, is there anything anyone can do to help the wetlands? You mentioned grants. Who has helped finance the wetlands in the past? Or is completely financed by the local govt?

On a positive note (for me), I've got the whole week of the shoot off! wings.gif
    Jen

• Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    That's terrible news Harry. Keep us informed on how this progresses.

will do
    Harry
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    Harry, is there anything anyone can do to help the wetlands? You mentioned grants. Who has helped finance the wetlands in the past? Or is completely financed by the local govt?

On a positive note (for me), I've got the whole week of the shoot off! wings.gif

When push comes to shove it should be a real battle. The big issue is the Duda's West Vierra plans. If that gets approved there won't be enough wildlife left to make keeping the wetlands open an issue.

When I first got here along the road entering the wetlands there used to be nothing but fields and trees. If you think Viera is good now you should have seen it four years ago. It was amazing. I would estimate that the wildlife activity has dropped a good 50% in the last four years. In that time they have built that accursed Heritage Isle (a housing development for active seniors 55+), a golf course, a super church and now a medical center.

If their plan for West Viera get approved (it includes a "town center', more stores and housing for around 10,000) thats the ball game. It will be like Nassau County in NY with palm trees.

They have met some resistance from the county commissioners and the Dudas had the last two planned hearings on their plans delayed. I'm guessing they needed the time to buy a commissioner or two.
    Harry
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I'm tired of looking at everyone's Florida shots and whining about wanting to shoot thererolleyes1.gif

It's a big IF, but I'm going to try and make it down this year. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    Hope you can make it. wings.gif
    Jen

• Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I got a wish to come there - but I don't have "bird" lens yet headscratch.gif

Are Viera's birds so friendly that can I use funny 200 or 300mm ?
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008

I heard from a little birdy that this guy is excited about that news and looks forward to you visiting him in his nest.

52803651.jpg

eek7.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    It's easier with a 400 or longer but 300 is definitely usable.

80% crop with 300 f4 IS on a 20D
    234261027-L.jpg

The 300 F4 IS works very well with a TC to get you 420mm @ f/5.6
    Or you could always rent a lens for the week. A couple people rented 400 f/5.6 last year.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    Actually I sold 80-400VR to renters mwink.gif

I feel that maybe 500 will fit my needs, but it's tiny feeling.
    Thanks for a tip thumb.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    I'm tired of looking at everyone's Florida shots and whining about wanting to shoot thererolleyes1.gif

Here's hoping you can make it. Its tough to say what's conditions will be like in February but right now the activity in our prime locations are really picking up.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    The 300 F4 IS works very well with a TC to get you 420mm @ f/5.6
    Or you could always rent a lens for the week. A couple people rented 400 f/5.6 last year.

Renting glass for the shoot is a good idea. I would recommend http://www.borrowlenses.com/ . I dealt with them before and their service and lenses were outstanding. They also give a 5% discount to Dgrinners.

I may rent the 300mm 2.8 from them for this shoot.
    Harry
  • Options
    jeff lapointjeff lapoint Registered Users Posts: 1,228 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Here's hoping you can make it. Its tough to say what's conditions will be like in February but right now the activity in our prime locations are really picking up.

Thanks Harry, I hope I can pull it off as well. It will mostly depend on when the baby is born. If it is anytime soon I have a good shot at making it (37 weeks)...if we go all the way to 40/41 weeks it will be a lot tougher.

Mike: I feel like we may need a "not work safe" label for that heron in the banana hammockrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    push...... push.....PUSHHHHHHHH

PUUUSSHHHHHH

eek7.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    MI V Update

Hi Y’all,

Right now we have 47 folks who have expressed an interest in attending MI V.

As of now the “schedule” looks like this

West Coast – There will be a west coast shoot that will start for most folks on the weekend of 2/2. The west coasters will shoot through the morning of 2/5 and will head over to the Space Coast that day.

East Coast – The shoot will officially start on 2/3 but I will be available to guide and shoot with any early arrivals.

On the evening of 2/5 I will host the welcome BBQ at my house from 6-9. There is no charge for the BBQ, you only have to bring a n appetite and a smile. We will be serving smoked turkey breast¸ ham (thanks to Ron), various salads, dessert, and there will also be burgers and hot dogs, The beverages will be Corona and soft drinks On Wednesday 2/6 those interested will head over to the Avian Center in the morning. On 2/7 those interested will do the sunrise boat cruise The final charge for those two outings is dependent on the # of participants.

I have rented the private room of Charlie & Jakes for evening of 2/7 for these interested in getting together and having dinner. For any MI newbies C&Js is a BBQ restaurant/microbrewery. They serve some interesting brews and some excellent food.

If there is enough interest I can get us reservations at Dixie Crossroads {outstanding seafood & steaks) on either the 8th or the 9th.

The two prime shooting locations will be the Merritt Island NWR and the Viera Wetlands. We will also be considering the Orlando Wetlands and Gator Land in Orlando depending on activity. I will take any folks interested in pelican flight shots to Sebastian Inlet sometime during the shoot.

Here are some shots from MI III at Sebastian Inlet
    56188808-L.jpg

56188811-L.jpg

I will have printed up driving instructions to the shooting sites, restaurants, and my house available.

Initially we will meet at the Ihop next to the Comfort Inn in the AM before we head out for the day. Usually a half hour before sunrise. Sunrise during the shoot will be approx 7:10 AM and sunset 6:05 PM.
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Grr...I had a feeling this was going to happen, but I'm not going to be able to participate this year. I'm going through a lifeguard instructor class and the only time I can do it happens to be this week...grrr! rolleyes1.gif
    Jen

• Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Grr...I had a feeling this was going to happen, but I'm not going to be able to participate this year. I'm going through a lifeguard instructor class and the only time I can do it happens to be this week...grrr! rolleyes1.gif

:cry
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2008
    Don't cry, Harry...cos if you cry, I'm gonna cry... :cry Heh. Yeah it's pretty disappointing for me. It's good for me jobwise, though. But still.... ~sighs mournfully~
    Jen

• Options
    edited January 10, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    MI V Update

Hi Y’all,

Right now we have 47 folks who have expressed an interest in attending MI V.

As of now the “schedule” looks like this

West Coast – There will be a west coast shoot that will start for most folks on the weekend of 2/2. The west coasters will shoot through the morning of 2/5 and will head over to the Space Coast that day.

East Coast – The shoot will officially start on 2/3 but I will be available to guide and shoot with any early arrivals.

On the evening of 2/5 I will host the welcome BBQ at my house from 6-9. There is no charge for the BBQ, you only have to bring a n appetite and a smile. We will be serving smoked turkey breast¸ ham (thanks to Ron), various salads, dessert, and there will also be burgers and hot dogs, The beverages will be Corona and soft drinks On Wednesday 2/6 those interested will head over to the Avian Center in the morning. On 2/7 those interested will do the sunrise boat cruise The final charge for those two outings is dependent on the # of participants.

I have rented the private room of Charlie & Jakes for evening of 2/7 for these interested in getting together and having dinner. For any MI newbies C&Js is a BBQ restaurant/microbrewery. They serve some interesting brews and some excellent food.

If there is enough interest I can get us reservations at Dixie Crossroads {outstanding seafood & steaks) on either the 8th or the 9th.

The two prime shooting locations will be the Merritt Island NWR and the Viera Wetlands. We will also be considering the Orlando Wetlands and Gator Land in Orlando depending on activity. I will take any folks interested in pelican flight shots to Sebastian Inlet sometime during the shoot.

Initially we will meet at the Ihop next to the Comfort Inn in the AM before we head out for the day. Usually a half hour before sunrise. Sunrise during the shoot will be approx 7:10 AM and sunset 6:05 PM.

Sound great Harry! I look forward to meeting as many folks as possible that week! Will do some checking online, too, to locate the restaurants and IHOP you mention.

Sorry you can't make it, Jen. I was looking forward to meeting you.

Jean
    www.borderbrae.smugmug.com
    Jean
    www.borderbraeimages.com