Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Howdy All-

So this morning when I booted the Mac Book Pro running Leopard the Num Lock and Caps Lock LEDs are lit. However they are not functioning, in other words the keyboard is performing as if they are offheadscratch.gif

I restarted and same thing.

Anyone else had the problem?headscratch.gif

No, I haven't.

Restart, and at the start-up chime hold down this key combination: command-opt-p-r

and hold it down for 4 chimes, then let go and let it restart normally.

thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    I could be way wrong here. But I don't' think ppl understand that this machine is not supposed to be your workhorse.

It's supposed to be ridiculously small so every one stares art you w/ envy and wants to buy one of their own.

It's supposed to be ultra portable so you can be a student or professional that can actually work out of a computer w/o toting around a huge/heavy piece of hardware. Some laptops are small, but not like thismwink.gif

It's supposed to be allot of things. But I never think it was intended to do a download off your loaded 8/16GB camera card and process. And if your ever in the situation when that's your only choice. It just saved the day and let you do your job/project.

In the rare times you do have to do that. Just plop it right by your airport and let it churn away overnight.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, I haven't.

Restart, and at the start-up chime hold down this key combination: command-opt-p-r

and hold it down for 4 chimes, then let go and let it restart normally.

thumb.gif

Fixes, thanks.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I don't need the MacBook Air, but I understand it.

I have a Pro laptop but when I take it around town (and not shooting photos), 90% of the time the only features used are the wireless and one USB port. The features I don't use daily around town are precisely the features left off of the MacBook Air. For reading discs, connecting peripherals, and doing big jobs? I have a nice desktop computer at home for that. The laptop is a satellite.

Most photographers are better served by the MacBook Pro, simply because of the need for ports and maximum power and storage at any location. For photographers the Air is more of a curiosity that may be useful in personal life but is outside the scope of the profession.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Safari-Stretch.

Drag the bookmarklet onto your toolbar, click and voila - Safari stretches to full screen, regardless of where your Dock is parked.
    Click it again and the viewport pops to 800px wide. In other words, if you are running Safari Stand with sidebar it will resize to 800px + sidebar. If the sidebar is off it will resize to 800px only. And yes, you can change the resize to 1024 (or "anything" else) if you want...
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    Haven't heard anyone talk about IRIS yet either.

You Mac guys n gals under the weather?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

Nup...the bloody thing finally stopped crashing when surfing the net.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    Funny Comic
    This one came from Working Daze comic...
    workingdaze20080146683111.jpg
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Haven't heard anyone talk about IRIS yet either.

I had not heard of it and don't quite get it (the website isn't exactly full of info) -- is it a CS3 plug in or a standalone app? The UI certainly resembles CS's.

If it's easier to figure out than CS3 but with a decent amount of CS3-type functionality, and works with LR, I'd be in for $79 down the road . . .
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    KED wrote:
    I had not heard of it and don't quite get it (the website isn't exactly full of info) -- is it a CS3 plug in or a standalone app? The UI certainly resembles CS's.

If it's easier to figure out than CS3 but with a decent amount of CS3-type functionality, and works with LR, I'd be in for $79 down the road . . .
    It's a stand alone app.

According to the site:
    Designed from the ground up specifically for Mac users, Iris provides a powerful, intuitive, and easy-to-use solution for all your photo editing needs. Programmed to perform with a unique and elegant one-window interface, Iris renders confusing multiple palettes obsolete.

I've already tried it out and found a few things that the Adobe tem should pick up on:
    1. There is a neat documents dock on the bottom of the screen that allows for quick switch between open documents. So even if your document is minimized, you can tell which one you need to click on to open the correct doc.
    2. t also features a useful little zoom button that switches between common states and an iPhoto style slider that helps find you the correct magnification easily.
    3. Under the File menu point there is a New from Clipboard option that simplifies this frequent task. I have no idea why Adobe didn't come up w/ this first.
    I don't think the application is ever going to replace Photoshop. I do think it's going to be a great tool for those who can't justify the cost of a professional image editing application but still want "professional" results.

-Jon
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Under the File menu point there is a New from Clipboard option that simplifies this frequent task. I have no idea why Adobe didn't come up w/ this first.

I don't know if you'd consider this close enough, but if you have an image on the Clipboard, and you hit the New shortcut in Photoshop, the document size defaults to the dimensions of whatever's on the Clipboard. So all you have to do is hit OK and paste. Granted, the Iris command is one less step, but clearly Adobe had thought of that task.

There's another one I read about where if you are in Photoshop's New dialog, and you want to match the size of another doc that's already open, you pick that doc from the Window menu and the New dialog fills in with that doc's dimensions.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    I don't know if you'd consider this close enough, but if you have an image on the Clipboard, and you hit the New shortcut in Photoshop, the document size defaults to the dimensions of whatever's on the Clipboard. So all you have to do is hit OK and paste. Granted, the Iris command is one less step, but clearly Adobe had thought of that task.
    I use this quite a bit. I guess that's why I was so adamant about the fact that Adobe didn't have that shortcut. But you are correct. They do. Just adding the extra step which is no big deal.
    colourbox wrote:
    There's another one I read about where if you are in Photoshop's New dialog, and you want to match the size of another doc that's already open, you pick that doc from the Window menu and the New dialog fills in with that doc's dimensions.
    I'm gonna play w/ that tonight. I wish I knew this a long time ago. Thanks for the tip!
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    But is it available for Leopard yet? ne_nau.gif

read this today.
    01/21/2008 - Leopard Compatibility
    DiskWarrior 4 version 4.1 is now available for complete compatibility with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

more here.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Thanks for the update, Patch. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    Is there a shortcut in Safari to load a url with the .com at the end, similar to cmd+return in Firefox? When I do it in Safari, it works, but loads the URL in a new tab.
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Is there a shortcut in Safari to load a url with the .com at the end, similar to cmd+return in Firefox? When I do it in Safari, it works, but loads the URL in a new tab.
    Nope. Safari's supposed to be reasonably smart when it comes to entering url's though. Supposedly you can just put in cnn and hit enter and it'll figure it out. I haven't played around with it too much though.

btw, did you know in firefox you can also use shift-enter for .net and cmd-shift-enter for .org? mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Nope. Safari's supposed to be reasonably smart when it comes to entering url's though. Supposedly you can just put in cnn and hit enter and it'll figure it out. I haven't played around with it too much though.

btw, did you know in firefox you can also use shift-enter for .net and cmd-shift-enter for .org? mwink.gif

It usually works, but it is slow.

I have used the other shortcuts with FF, but I FF has not been working well for me lately, so back to Safari I go.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Once again, I learned this from my 14 YO daughter: up in the address line (or whatever it's properly called) hit CMD-a ("a" is for "all") then just type in the "body" of the url, such as "dgrin" -- Safari will take care of the rest, and for me, not in a new tab.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Once again, I learned this from my 14 YO daughter: up in the address line (or whatever it's properly called) hit CMD-a ("a" is for "all") then just type in the "body" of the url, such as "dgrin" -- Safari will take care of the rest, and for me, not in a new tab.

If you don't want to click in the address thingy, just type cmd-l, for location, and it will highlight the address thingy without any clicky. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    If you don't want to click in the address thingy, just type cmd-l, for location, and it will highlight the address thingy without any clicky. thumb.gif
    Wow, you're right -- that saves gobs of nanoseconds! :D

Do you run both Mac and Windows? I saw on the "Mouse for Photoshop" post in Digital Darkroom Gear that you have a Wacom tablet, but it looks to me like that supports Windows only, yet you know so much about Mac. headscratch.gif

Anyway, I'm impressed!
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    KED wrote:
    DavidTO wrote:
    Wow, you're right -- that saves gobs of nanoseconds! :D

Note that is not just a Mac tip. The shortcut appears in the menu of every Web browser I've used on Windows and Mac, although on Windows it's Ctrl-L of course.
    Do you run both Mac and Windows? I saw on the "Mouse for Photoshop" post in Digital Darkroom Gear that you have a Wacom tablet, but it looks to me like that supports Windows only, yet you know so much about Mac. headscratch.gif

Been using Wacom tablets on my Macs for over 10 years.
    My first one used an ADB (Apple Desktop Bus) cable, since USB had not been invented yet...
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:

Thanks for that tip. It's been driving me crazy when typing a new url. This will save a lot of time!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks for that tip. It's been driving me crazy when typing a new url. This will save a lot of time!!!!
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Now I have to do even LESS when surfing! It also helps w/ work too!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Hey slo. You know those small driver CD's about 3.5 " across ?

I got one with a new nokia dog & bone that work gave me today. Its got the drivers on it to get the photos etc off the phone.

So im cool at using this tiny CD in my flat PC CD draw (you just pull them out) but im not to keen on dropping it into the vertical iMac slot. Will it go in & work like a normal size CD ?

• Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    gus wrote:

I got one with a new nokia dog & bone that work gave me today. Its got the drivers on it to get the photos etc off the phone.

So im cool at using this tiny CD in my flat PC CD draw (you just pull them out) but im not to keen on dropping it into the vertical iMac slot. Will it go in & work like a normal size CD ?.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

Try and get a $100 tag at service for your troubles...:cry

I've heard you can get adaptors for them, but I would try some other method. Apple slot drives DO NOT accept mini-discs. At all. No way. Please don't try...

VI

(did I get the point across? wings.gif )
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!

Try and get a $100 tag at service for your troubles...:cry

I've heard you can get adaptors for them, but I would try some other method. Apple slot drives DO NOT accept mini-discs. At all. No way. Please don't try...

VI

(did I get the point across? wings.gif )
    cool...cool...tks. No way would i have done it prior to checking with you guys. ta mate.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Note that is not just a Mac tip. The shortcut appears in the menu of every Web browser I've used on Windows and Mac, although on Windows it's Ctrl-L of course.

In IE7, on Vista at least, it's Alt+D.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!
    Well that's lame. I probably wouldn't have thought twice about popping in any disc.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    gus wrote:

So im cool at using this tiny CD in my flat PC CD draw (you just pull them out) but im not to keen on dropping it into the vertical iMac slot. Will it go in & work like a normal size CD ?
    They make cool adapters that supposed work for needs like this. But I've never used it and I think it would be more hassle thatn it's worth IMO. I'd just dub the disk onto a standard size and drop it in the slot.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'd just dub the disk onto a standard size and drop it in the slot.
    But to dub it you presumably need an external CD drive anyway, so why bother . . . why not just run it as is off that drive?