Options

Andy's Un-Official Unsolicited Mac Advice Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 24, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Do you share files between your Mac and VM?
    sure
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    Also something I was surprised by some ISPs are offering free McAfee software to their users. I use Comcast and they do that.

Also remember that the safest way to stay clear of some of the nasties is to turn it off and disconnect it from the network when you are not using it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2008
    After reading all of these comments, i think i will avoid Windows. I hate to install stupid anti-virus software, that was one of the many reasons to leave Windows in the first place.deal.gif

Thanks everyone!
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    (Labview, Matlab, Origin). Since windows runs in a virtual machine, I just don't let it have access to my network connection.
    Have your tried octave and scilab. I used those tools when I was working on DSL tech.

As for your virtual machine and internet connections, don't be paranoid.
    The best way is to create a virtual machine, such that your virtual disk is a partition.
    do not touch that partition by other programs.
    Your windows VM will see just that partition, and nothing else. So it can clobber it with everything which is needed.
    You can run your VM in NAT mode as oppsed to bridge mode, this will take care of all security holes.
    On my home system(which is a virus and adware free windows system) I do lot of work in virtual machines, which I build myself with the vmware server,
    In first I installed gentoo, in the second I am installing opensuse linux.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Little bump in the Macbook Pros, 17" has faster chip and the 1920x1200 LED display. Faster chip on the 15" too. And on the Macbooks, AFAICT.
  • Options
    Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    And price drops! More for less. :D

VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Very cool, but I like the music from Win XP/98 better.

Maybe I should have posted that over in the Vista thread....
    Travis
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    SmartSleep
    http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html

"SmartSleep lets your notebook just sleep while the battery has a high level. If the battery level drops below a certain point ( default is less then 20% or 20 minutes ) it will switch to sleep and hibernate. So you have the best of both worlds."

Seems like a pretty good idea for you book users.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    This looks like the place to pose this Q.

I have just installed VMware on my Intel MacPro inorder to run two pc programs in my office. We have a local mac server running DHCP for our workstations. The problem is the VMware does not see the server and therefor cant get a ip address. Is there something I still need to do so it can see the server and internal network?
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    This looks like the place to pose this Q.

I have just installed VMware on my Intel MacPro inorder to run two pc programs in my office. We have a local mac server running DHCP for our workstations. The problem is the VMware does not see the server and therefor cant get a ip address. Is there something I still need to do so it can see the server and internal network?

I knew the second I asked it would come to meeek7.gif Turns out I needed to change the network setting to Bridged rather than NAT, and the whole schlemiel workswings.gif
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Is Apple Care worth it?
    I've owned my macbook for 3 months now and am starting to wonder if I should buy the Apple Care 3 year warranty. I have always avoided these types of extended plans in the past (even on my dSLR). However, as this is my first laptop and, given the history of Apple products being useable far longer than their PC equivalents, I'm seriously considering this.
    Any thoughts/experiences?
    E
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    I've owned my macbook for 3 months now and am starting to wonder if I should buy the Apple Care 3 year warranty. I have always avoided these types of extended plans in the past (even on my dSLR). However, as this is my first laptop and, given the history of Apple products being useable far longer than their PC equivalents, I'm seriously considering this.
    E

All I can tell you is that I get it on my laptops.

Oh, and go one day over a year and you can't get the AppleCare. If you're going to get it, don't put it off.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    E
    My experience is "you can't go right". But with big ticket items like my camera bodies or my computer, I'd rather have erred on the side of having bought an extended warranty that I ended up not needing. Cellphones, P&S's, toasters . . . forget it.
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    E

Apple repairs are expensive, as in replace rather than repair for anything going wrong.

Normally I'm not an extended warranty type of guy... but I've bought the AppleCare for every Mac I've bought (all 7 of them). I think they price it reasonably, and the service you get is terrific. The 3 repairs I've had done over the years would have cost me more than I think I'll ever spend on apple care, so it's paid for itself for me in the long run.

My 2¢
    Travis
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    In the spirit of our good natured rivaly between the PC/Vista folks and you all, I say: "Laugh with me Mac folks!"

260180783_5EqXc-L.jpg
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    In the spirit of our good natured rivaly between the PC/Vista folks and you all, I say: "Laugh with me Mac folks!"

Heh. You just explained part of the reason why, even though I'm a lifetime Mac user, I have never and will never buy an all-in-one iMac.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Pupator wrote:
    In the spirit of our good natured rivaly between the PC/Vista folks and you all,

There's a rivalry?
    There are PC/Vista folks?

:hide
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    Heh. You just explained part of the reason why, even though I'm a lifetime Mac user, I have never and will never buy an all-in-one iMac.

EXACTLY! Where the *&^% is the desktop MAC?
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    colourbox wrote:

Sure, it's a trade off, but one that's well worth it, IMO. You're making a decision based on what MIGHT happen, I like the iMac for what it gives me from day one through day 1,264. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Rivalry between Vista and Apple? ne_nau.gif Win XP SP2 and 10.3.9, maybe. But between Vista and Tiger/Leopard? not really fair match up, I'd say mwink.gif

(my weekly down-time for maintenance on my Sony Vaio XP surpasses my yearly total downtime for my Macbook)
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    we were all pretty quick to come back to that one, eh? It is pretty funny, though! Kinda mocks both "sides." clap.gif
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Takes me back. rolleyes1.gif

In the 1980s, the critics were saying in defence of MS-DOS that if the Mac's mouse broke, the computer would be useless! :D
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008

In the 1980s, the critics were saying in defence of MS-DOS that if the Mac's mouse broke, the computer would be useless! :D

That.

Is.

Funny.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008

And how could it possibly work if it doesn't have an optical drive/3.5" floppy/5" floppy/tape drive/punch card? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    Van Isle wrote:
    And how could it possibly work if it doesn't have an optical drive/3.5" floppy/5" floppy/tape drive/punch card? ne_nau.gif

And then there was the Macbook Air! Not even an optical drive. clap.gifNow, if only I had a spare $1800 to spend on a "cool" item.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    Regardless if your Mac or PC
    I'm reading a book caled, "Eniacs" right now. It's about how the first computers were created and it's origins. It's really crazy how we take things for granted.

It wasn't until 1942 that the idea of using electricity in vacuum tubes instead of mechanical wheels that relied on precise positioning for accurate calculations.

I have a machine sitting quietly on my desktop that would literally fill up Qwest filed stadium to match it's computing power 50 years ago. Not to mention it would sound like a harrier taking off on your head..

Crazy.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:

It wasn't until 1942 that the idea of using electricity in vacuum tubes instead of mechanical wheels that relied on precise positioning for accurate calculations.
    I spent my first few years learning & repairing valve amplifiers with the military. I think you will find that valves & their use originated way way before 1942. More like the early 1900's.

My job as an 18 year old nobody was to start one of these up for the sonar every morning. It used to scare the living bejebus out of me ! It was full of mercury.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I spent my first few years learning & repairing valve amplifiers with the military. I think you will find that valves & their use originated way way before 1942. More like the early 1900's.

My job as an 18 year old nobody was to start one of these up for the sonar every morning. It used to scare the living bejebus out of me ! It was full of mercury.
    To act as electrical relays or computers? The vacume tube was around a long time before that. But the idea of taking the mechanical calculator and replacing it's functions w/ 100% electricity was in the early 40's. The computers were shortly following that.

Your talking about dedicated electronics that couldn't calculate 2+2. They just did their job (and very well at the time).

Mercury filled transmission receivers were invented around the 1900's but that was designed for Radar first then adopted by Sonar.

I was a Sonar Tech on the Sub in the Navy. It was a cake job, just stunk that I had to be underwater for so long. It was really cool when I got to actually do my job and be all Secret Squirrel though :D..
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2008
    gus wrote:
    IMy job as an 18 year old nobody was to start one of these up for the sonar every morning.
    Give us a break, Gus! Next you'll be telling us you used to have that film stuff in your camera, but that it made you the man you are today! :D