What if SmugMug sponsored a camera kit?

2»

Comments

• seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    I think this is a great idea ... especially for students pursuing photography - high school, college, photo trade school, etc.

But Mitchell's comments are good food for thought as well ... it's not the equipment that makes a great photographer ... who was the guy that shot all those Sports Illustrated covers with a cheap point and shoot film camera? Things that make a real difference are hard work, more hard work, experience, guidance and, of course, time and money (to give you time).

So, I would encourage you to begin thinking concurrently about creating a fund or foundation to support individual projects or essays for emerging artists ... for instance in the area of fine art or humanitarian pursuits, i.e. those photo genres which are worthy but find little support in mainstream media. Think bigger in other words. A grant of even $5,000 can go a long way to support struggling photographers out there "doing it," or those ready to embark on an individual project. Think of the reward if you funded a photographer who made just a little difference somewhere in the world.

Just as worthy would be a scholarship fund for attending workshops with leading photographers. Having just attended one with two legends of photography, I can say the value of this cannot be understated.

I'm not sure this fits in with your vision for smugmug or dgrin but it really could become quite a legacy ...

I know, I know, give 'em an inch ... regardless kudos to you for giving back to the photo community however you choose to do so.

cheers,
    tom hyde
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Now if you could get me a week of watching guys like Shay work, I'd really appreciate it!

EXCELLENT IDEA! clap.gif

There have been a number of fine ideas presented, first by Baldy then by others who've been inspired to think outloud. What a great community.

While I'm not looking to spend the funds of others, maybe multiple tracks that could allow for "starving student" kit as well as advanced or dream kit. The opportunity and inspiration afforded would be priceless.

Oh, yeah. Maybe one of the kits could be Pentax equipment! Tremendous bang for the buck! ;-)
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    There have been three main ideas floated around

Gear to be loaned
    Access to events
    Passes to workshops

Baldy made some great points about smugmug being responsible for the actions of photographers at events. That was something I gave everyone the benefit of the doubt :nono

My new suggestion is a combination of the other two. Smugmug/ dgrin have many pro's as customers and many of those pro's offer workshops. How about seeing which pro's would be open to some pro bono workshop fees or a discount for smugmug. Those willing to do so could determine when, where, and how many spots they would be willing to work with.

Smugmug/Dgrin could post these availabilities and have a form for interested parties to fill out (leave the details to you). A qualified candidate(s) will get the spot(s) and be asked to submit some of their shots to an online gallery.

To make it even better a chest of goodies could ship to the pro for the qualified candidate to use during the workshop. Once workshop is over the pro collects the equipment and ships back -cod or prepaid of course deal.gif

This ensures the right people go to the workshop and the gear is in good hands. Best of all some up and coming photographer gets a fantastic experience

Just thinking out load again :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Hahaha, funny thing is, the one on sale at B&H is what inspired this idea. We thought maybe we could buy it, rent it out through Borrow Lenses to recoup our investment, and loan it to someone who'd put it to good use.

But Andy quickly pointed out that it isn't very practical for anything and hence the reason they don't make them anymore.

In the process, you guys got us all excited. We are still waiting on that delivery from B&H any day now...still waiting :)
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    Hmmm,
    I'll see your leapord and raise you a tiger.
    179616391-L.jpg

Taken with a lowly 8MP rebel XT by a second year newbie with a relatively cheap for a supertelephto Sigma 50-500mm.

The idea interests me, but sending a top end gear to a good shooter will generally produce good results. But posting small images on the web may not be the best way to view the image quality. Large prints in person may be a better idea.

I heard that editors of National Geographic gave out entry level dslr and lenses to all their photogs to see what they can do and all the images in one issue was taken with the entry level dslrs that were handed out.

I too agree with a previous poster that most here buy more gear than the can use. Sending out really expensive gear to folks all over the place sounds like a nightmare in legitics, not to mention the risk of theft and what not.

Photography is more about timing, lighting, color, and compositon for me. Much less about gear. I know you are just brain storming out loud here, but I personally find the idea of sending out cheapo point and shoot or an entry level dslr with consumer grade lenses to talented folks at a photo op event and see what they can get.

Plus if a shooter drops and breaks a rebel with a 75-300mm zoom lens vs a 1DsMIII with a 400mm prime, B&H, or who ever loans out the gear may be a lot less upset. Lastly, a person who isn't using a Nikon D3 or a 1D series would probably need quite some time to get used to using the gear before being able to take good shots. I remember it took me quiet a while to go from a digital rebel to a Canon 1DMiiN. I don't think one or even two weeks would be enough.
    P.S. As a Canonite, I'd love to see what that new entry level dslr Rebel XSi with the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS and 55-150mm f4-5.6 IS (which will probably be how most will be sold as a kit) will do at a photo op. in a capable hand.

What I'd like to see is maybe ten kits of Canon rebel with two lenses and ten Nikon D40X with two kit lenses floating around for members to use and post the images on a gallery.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 25, 2008
    I like this idea. I'd like to vote for a community choice award where
    photographers pick a recipient.

I'd also like to suggest another idea. Give out a bunch of cameras. A small
    P&S would be plenty good for a group to capture an event, a day
    or something else that's meaningful.

Like a Pelican case full of G9's.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    But Andy quickly pointed out that it isn't very practical for anything and hence the reason they don't make them anymore.

I bet it would be different advise if he photographed wildlife or surf deal.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited January 25, 2008
    gus wrote:
    I bet it would be different advise if he photographed wildlife or surf deal.gif
    Nah. We went to Steamers one day and he opted for the 70-200 over say
    a nice 300.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?