Options

Shape of the softbox

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 11, 2008 in Accessories
Continuing from http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=81087...
I'm more or less settled on the lighting heads (Profoto Compact-R series).
Now the question is light modifiers, namely octagon vs rectangular softboxes.
Are there pros and cons on each one, or they are simply differently shaped and as such simply create defferent catlights? Considering people portraits applications (head and shoulder; upper torso; 3/4; full height), what is your experience with one or the other?
And for the extra credit, when/where do stripboxes to come in here?
TIA!

PS
I think I understand some basic lighting concepts, so apparently 1'x6" stripbox may be beneficial for a 3/4..full height to avoid light spilling to b/g, 3'x4' softbox could be the go to gadget fot the upper body portrait and a small octagon should be the best of regular head and shoulder portrait.
Is there something else? I mean I'd love to have them all, but they all pretty expensive, so I'd like to start with the one that covers most of my needs and add more special items later.

Currently in consideration (all profoto):
small: 1'x3' strip, 3'x4' soft, 3' octagon
large: 1'x6' strip, 4'x6' soft, 5' octagon

Intended for the primary compact-r 600w profoto head.
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited January 31, 2008
    I like to have options.

So far I have 3 softboxes, 2 - 36" square and one 24" x 36". I can "stack" the two 36" boxes to get something like a 36" x 72".

I also use convertible umbrellas and would probably use a shoot-through umbrella instead of an octagon softbox becasue there is a more significant difference in the type of light they produce.

If you prefer circular catch lights then you might want to use octagons where they are visible. Otherwise, positioned on the side of the subject as key kights I doubt thet you would see much difference between an ocatgon and a square softbox because a square softbox tends to lose a bit of light in the corners of the box, forming a shape fairly similar to an octagon.

I prefer rectangular and square catch lights because they more closely look like "window" catch light reflections. So for fill lights I use square and rectangular.

Travelling light, I tend to just use umbrellas. I have been experimenting with diffusors over the front to simulate something like a "Photek Softlighter". Jury is still out on that experiment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I like to have options.

So far I have 3 softboxes, 2 - 36" square and one 24" x 36". I can "stack" the two 36" boxes to get something like a 36" x 72".

I also use convertible umbrellas and would probably use a shoot-through umbrella instead of an octagon softbox becasue there is a more significant difference in the type of light they produce.

If you prefer circular catch lights then you might want to use octagons where they are visible. Otherwise, positioned on the side of the subject as key kights I doubt thet you would see much difference between an ocatgon and a square softbox because a square softbox tends to lose a bit of light in the corners of the box, forming a shape fairly similar to an octagon.

I prefer rectangular and square catch lights because they more closely look like "window" catch light reflections. So for fill lights I use square and rectangular.

Travelling light, I tend to just use umbrellas. I have been experimenting with diffusors over the front to simulate something like a "Photek Softlighter". Jury is still out on that experiment.
    Ziggy,
    thank you very much for your insight!
    My primary need for the soft box is as the main light, not the key (where, as you pointed out, shape don't mean much).
    I also do have a whole bunch of 3' umbrellas, both reflecting and shoot-through.

Size wise: is the main disadvantage of 4'x6' vs 3'x4' is simply its cost and large dimensions, meaning it's more hassle to handle?
    Or it's too big for 600w strobe, or it's too big for, say, headshot portrait.

The thing is - at this point I can oly afford ONE, so I wonder which one would give me the most bang for the buck...
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Why Profoto softboxes over Photoflex or Chimera? You could probably get two different sizes and a speedring for the price of the Profoto.

I own a Profoto Acute2 kit and it is great to work with, but some of the Profoto extras are very expensive.

I use Photoflex softboxes and I work with several photographers who use Photoflex and a few who use Chimera. Everyone has rectangle boxes, strip and octagons are a little more specialized. I would like to get an Octogon one of these days, but I have a lot of other items I would like first.

I would look for a 3x4 or 2x3 box to start, especially for a headshot.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    patch29 wrote:
    Why Profoto softboxes over Photoflex or Chimera? You could probably get two different sizes and a speedring for the price of the Profoto.

I own a Profoto Acute2 kit and it is great to work with, but some of the Profoto extras are very expensive.

I use Photoflex softboxes and I work with several photographers who use Photoflex and a few who use Chimera. Everyone has rectangle boxes, strip and octagons are a little more specialized. I would like to get an Octogon one of these days, but I have a lot of other items I would like first.

I would look for a 3x4 or 2x3 box to start, especially for a headshot.

I was lucky enough to try both Profoto and Chimera products in the same room at the same time (Thanks, ChatKat!).
    The difference in quality was huge...ne_nau.gif
    I have never tried Photoflex, so I simply don't know....headscratch.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I was lucky enough to try both Profoto and Chimera products in the same room at the same time (Thanks, ChatKat!).

Fair enough. Photoflex will probably feel about the same as Chimera.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    No comparison
    I have a few Photoflex pieces - and Nik saw my Chimera and Profoto. I bought the Profoto Softboxes as part of a kit and I am not unhappy with the Chimera - but the quality of the Profoto is exceptional. The Photoflex is okay starter stuff. I feel (- My opinion only) that I'd have worn out the Photoflex and replaced it several times before the Profoto had even shown any wear and tear. Compare the Photoflex to a Volkswagen, the Chimera to an Audi and the Profoto to a Porsche or BMW...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    We use a 4'x6' for the key light pretty much for everything. It is really nice to have, but it also takes up a LOT of space when it's set up, so if space or easy handling is a priority go for the smaller box.

I personally like rectangular boxes for the window-like properties they give. Also, they are easier to feather for a full body shot. With a round modifier you can never get the light to feather evenly. At least I can't...

Also I think 600 watts would be fine in a 4x6, but you might be hitting it with full power alot.

HTH, and congrats on the new lights!
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2008
    HiSPL wrote:
    We use a 4'x6' for the key light pretty much for everything. It is really nice to have, but it also takes up a LOT of space when it's set up, so if space or easy handling is a priority go for the smaller box.

I personally like rectangular boxes for the window-like properties they give. Also, they are easier to feather for a full body shot. With a round modifier you can never get the light to feather evenly. At least I can't...

Also I think 600 watts would be fine in a 4x6, but you might be hitting it with full power alot.

HTH, and congrats on the new lights!

Thank you for the good info! thumb.gif
    I am getting 3'x4' now and I think eventually I will up the ante with 4'x6' and 1200w - but that will be next time mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2008
    Ordered!
    OK, I finally stopped procrastinating and pushed the "Submit" button :-)

Getting Profoto Compact-R 300/600 Value pack (it also comes with 2 stands and 2 umbrellas) plus Profoto 3'x4' softbox (speedring also ordered). Softbox should arrive next week, the lights are on special order (I knew that) and will take two more weeks (hopefully)

Considering my two existing 555AutoEX sunpak units I'm gonna have 4 lights total! clap.gif

And, of course, my photofunds are almost totally depleted now, so I better get some paying customers faaaaast mwink.gif

I also realized a nice fact that I can easily transform my 3x4 softbox into 1x4 strip by simply covering the sides with some non-transparent fabric. Naturally I'll waste power, but for now I can easily cope with that.
    In fact I'm thinking of making two 1x4 flat pieces which I'll be able to use as the said cover, barn doors or simply remove them (the softbox has a recessed front with velcro all around - one of the advantages of the profoto!).
    Sounds like a nice DIY project for one of the coming weekends mwink.gif
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited February 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    OK, I finally stopped procrastinating and pushed the "Submit" button :-)

Getting Profoto Compact-R 300/600 Value pack (it also comes with 2 stands and 2 umbrellas) plus Profoto 3'x4' softbox (speedring also ordered). Softbox should arrive next week, the lights are on special order (I knew that) and will take two more weeks (hopefully)

Considering my two existing 555AutoEX sunpak units I'm gonna have 4 lights total! clap.gif

And, of course, my photofunds are almost totally depleted now, so I better get some paying customers faaaaast mwink.gif

I also realized a nice fact that I can easily transform my 3x4 softbox into 1x4 strip by simply covering the sides with some non-transparent fabric. Naturally I'll waste power, but for now I can easily cope with that.
    In fact I'm thinking of making two 1x4 flat pieces which I'll be able to use as the said cover, barn doors or simply remove them (the softbox has a recessed front with velcro all around - one of the advantages of the profoto!).
    Sounds like a nice DIY project for one of the coming weekends mwink.gif

Nik,

If you cover the flaps with a highly reflective material you can diminish the light loss to a fair degree. The reflected light will simply reenter the box and bounce around until it emits through the part of the diffusor that is open.

Better yet would be internal flaps so that you could redirect the light before it goes through the outside diffusor.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Nik,

If you cover the flaps with a highly reflective material you can diminish the light loss to a fair degree. The reflected light will simply reenter the box and bounce around until it emits through the part of the diffusor that is open.

Better yet would be internal flaps so that you could redirect the light before it goes through the outside diffusor.

Ziggy,
    you're a well of good ideas! thumb.gif

I like the idea of the reflective flaps. Then I can simply invert them if I need tham as the external barn doors :ivar I think I will get one or two windshield covers and play with them.

As to the internal ones - this means I'd have to loose the internal baffle. Maybe not a big deal, but I am very fond of the light quality this double diffusing creates and would hate to lose it of. But it's good to have in mind!

Thanks again! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ziggy,
    :ivar I think I will get one or two windshield covers and play with them.

Thanks again! thumb.gif

That's an interesting thought....I have grids on my wishlist. They really add to the impact too.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    That's an interesting thought....I have grids on my wishlist. They really add to the impact too.
    Grids are total separate issue.
    I'm also interested in them, but at this point I don't see an easy way to DIY them ne_nau.gif And they are NOT cheap, esp. at this size or bigger...:cry
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited February 2, 2008
    Just note in favor of the photoflex stuff. I have a couple of reflector/umbrellas
    and am happy with the quality. Not to mention, they're a local business for me
    (located in Watsonville, CA).

I've used their large rectangular softbox too. It goes together easily and works
    pretty well.

As for the grid, that'd be very nice addition and well worth the extra cost.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    I like that Profoto setup. With the variable power, any chance it can do DC off of a battery pack? And I loved the grids Profoto grids I used last year.

Nik -
    Have you talked Kathy about renting time in her space, including equipment use? I have absolutely no idea what your needs are, but that could be a win-win.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Nik -
    Have you talked Kathy about renting time in her space, including equipment use? I have absolutely no idea what your needs are, but that could be a win-win.
    Thus far there was no immediate need for that, but should it be, I'm sure we can come to an arrangment of some sort :-)
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Studio for Rent
    I might consider renting the space - but not the lights or modifiers.
    That was an agreement that my DH made with me about buying my stuff. Must be a male territoral thingheadscratch.gif

Nikolai wrote:
    Thus far there was no immediate need for that, but should it be, I'm sure we can come to an arrangment of some sort :-)
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Update
    My profoto 3x4 softbox and the speedring arrived today. The lights (600R and 300R) hasn't been shipped yet, but even until they come I can probably use my sunpacks to play with it:-) :ivar
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    Enjoy
    Nik - Congrats! May that softbox earn you enough for a 1mk3ds...and more.

Nikolai wrote:
    My profoto 3x4 softbox and the speedring arrived today. The lights (600R and 300R) hasn't been shipped yet, but even until they come I can probably use my sunpacks to play with it:-) :ivar
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nik - Congrats! May that softbox earn you enough for a 1mk3ds...and more.
    Kathy,
    thanks! thumb.gif
    Lol
    May your wish come true rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    BSDguruBSDguru Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:

If you could elaborate on this I'd appreciate it. Do you mean the quality of light, or the physical quality of the box itself? I currently have a 2400ws speedotron setup with a 3'x4' softbox and I want to get a 4'x6'. Its for a static studio so I don't expect to be tearing it down daily if at all. I don't see that profoto has a speed ring for speedotron which may make it a moot issue, but I'm curious as to the differences, other than the $240.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Fabric, Seams...
    Fabric and Seams are better constructed but the quality of light is also a bit better too. There is nothing wrong with Chimera. I have both. Depending on what I am shooting, I will use them both.

Kinda like comparing Old Navy Jeans to Gap Jeans and Levi Jeans. Fabric, Seams and quality!
    BSDguru wrote:
    If you could elaborate on this I'd appreciate it. Do you mean the quality of light, or the physical quality of the box itself? I currently have a 2400ws speedotron setup with a 3'x4' softbox and I want to get a 4'x6'. Its for a static studio so I don't expect to be tearing it down daily if at all. I don't see that profoto has a speed ring for speedotron which may make it a moot issue, but I'm curious as to the differences, other than the $240.
    Kathy Rappaport
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Fabric and Seams are better constructed but the quality of light is also a bit better too. There is nothing wrong with Chimera. I have both. Depending on what I am shooting, I will use them both.

Kinda like comparing Old Navy Jeans to Gap Jeans and Levi Jeans. Fabric, Seams and quality!

Of course the difference there is that the Jeans all cost about the same. Chimera doesn't make an XLARGE box that I can see, so my choices are the Calumet Illuma ($289 + $79 for quick release speedring) or Photoflex Multi-dome ($349 + $49). The advantage of the multidome is the gold/silver/white interior options, while the Calumet is a bit narrower (25" vs 32")
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    BSDguru wrote:
    I think what Kathy said in her reply to your question holds true. My experience with all that stuff has been very limited thus far.
    Yet there is also an old (Russian) saying "you don't have to finish the egg to figure out it's been spoiled". When I just handled Chimera and Profoto softboxes (well, technically Chimera was a strip, but it doesn't matter much, does it?)... it really felt like Geo vs Cadillac.
    Of course there is a price difference, and often a substantial one, but... Hey, as a local Mercedes radio ad says: "(Here in SoCal) you gotta love what you drive". So I say: you gotta love what you shoot with (be it a camera, a lens or a light/diffuser...)
    HTH
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I think what Kathy said in her reply to your question holds true. My experience with all that stuff has been very limited thus far.
    Yet there is also an old (Russian) saying "you don't have to finish the egg to figure out it's been spoiled". When I just handled Chimera and Profoto softboxes (well, technically Chimera was a strip, but it doesn't matter much, does it?)... it really felt like Geo vs Cadillac.
    Of course there is a price difference, and often a substantial one, but... Hey, as a local Mercedes radio ad says: "(Here in SoCal) you gotta love what you drive". So I say: you gotta love what you shoot with (be it a camera, a lens or a light/diffuser...)
    HTH

Thats true for Cars, couches, mattresses and Televisions. As for light modifiers, I need it to diffuse light, and that's about it.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    BSDguru wrote:
    Thats true for cars, couches, mattresses and televisions. As for light modifiers, I need it to diffuse light, and that's about it.
    Well, It's probably personal. I heard people saying about cars that "they only need them to get from point A to point B". mwink.gif Or about the cellphones, that "they only need them to make the phone calls". mwink.gif
    Tastes differ, you know.. Call me a snob, but if I don't like a piece of gear, I won't use it. And in such a creative business as photography it makes a huge difference. Just IMHO, of course.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, It's probably personal. I heard people saying about cars that "they only need them to get from point A to point B". mwink.gif Or about the cellphones, that "they only need them to make the phone calls". mwink.gif
    Tastes differ, you know.. Call me a snob, but if I don't like a piece of gear, I won't use it. And in such a creative business as photography it makes a huge difference. Just IMHO, of course.

photography is about results. But I only have a choice between Calumet and PhotoFlex, because they are the only ones who have a speed ring for my flash heads.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    BSDguru wrote:
    ...photography is about results...
    Not for me, sorry. ne_nau.gif
    "Here in SoCal you gotta like what you do/drive/shoot with/etc." mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not for me, sorry. ne_nau.gif
    "Here in SoCal you gotta like what you do/drive/shoot with/etc." mwink.gif

So then why do you shoot with a 30D instead of a 5D? The camera is a lot more important that softbox construction.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2008
    BSDguru wrote:
    So then why do you shoot with a 30D instead of a 5D? The camera is a lot more important that softbox construction.
    First of all - I shoot with 40D mwink.gif
    Second - I also happen to like it, a lot. deal.gif I have two identical bodies and one set of lenses. They are perfect for both my shooting habits and my budget.
    And last but no least - I am slowly but surely coming to an understanding that the quality of light is WAY more important than the quality of the camera body (luckily I have passed the milestone of understanding the importance of the glass over the body a couple years ago:-)