Options

A loop of New Zealand's South Island

2»

Comments

• Options
    cjmchchcjmchch Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks cj! I would love to go back, and really hope I have the chance to do so. I definitely realize there is so much more to see, but the good part of doing a loop was that it served as a great scouting trip. I have a great idea of where I'd most love to spend some more time now.

Helicopters eh? I still have yet to go for a ride in one, but always wanted to. You must have some fantastic stories!

Some, some not so good. That's rescue helicopters for you of which I was a Paramedic.....Back to your story.

Next time you're in New Zealand grab a heli flight from Franz Josef into the Southern Alps/Glaciers, land if you can. Simply breathtaking. I will one day soon set up a site with some images I have taken over the years from aloft and post a link on this site.
    Canon - Manfrotto - Pocketwizard - Sekonic - Westcott - Hoya - Singh Ray

http://chrismckayphotography.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited January 27, 2008
    Great journey thread, Doc.

Very entertaining and makes me want to leave for New Zealand this evening.

Bikes are just great for covering distance in a beautiful landscape.

Wonderful shots.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 28, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great journey thread, Doc.

Very entertaining and makes me want to leave for New Zealand this evening.

Bikes are just great for covering distance in a beautiful landscape.

Wonderful shots.
    Thanks PF, glad you liked it!

I would fully encourage you to follow that whim! (but maybe leave tomorrow, it's a long way away, you should at least pack a toothbrush :D)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DarkhoundDarkhound Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 2, 2008
    It's funny. I have the exact same picture as your last one, with my friend posing the same way too. I didn't post that online, but this is from the same viewpoint.

242274288-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2008
    Darkhound wrote:
    It's funny. I have the exact same picture as your last one, with my friend posing the same way too. I didn't post that online, but this is from the same viewpoint.
    Queen Charlotte sound is definitely a gorgeous area nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks cj! I would love to go back, and really hope I have the chance to do so. I definitely realize there is so much more to see, but the good part of doing a loop was that it served as a great scouting trip. I have a great idea of where I'd most love to spend some more time now.

Hi DocIt.

Lovely pics, glad you enjoyed our lovely little country so much. I grew up and studied in Christchurch but am now living in Wellington working in film. My family has a house in the mountains between Chch and Westport where I spend most of my holidays, skiing in the winter and fishing in the summer.

You definitely took a good route to see the most beautiful parts. The South Island is a lot more dramatic then the North.

If you make it through Wellington, give me a yell and we can go out and shoot some sh*t wings.gif
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    Hi DocIt.

Lovely pics, glad you enjoyed our lovely little country so much. I grew up and studied in Christchurch but am now living in Wellington working in film. My family has a house in the mountains between Chch and Westport where I spend most of my holidays, skiing in the winter and fishing in the summer.

You definitely took a good route to see the most beautiful parts. The South Island is a lot more dramatic then the North.

If you make it through Wellington, give me a yell and we can go out and shoot some sh*t wings.gif
    cheers mate, good to know thumb.gif

(same goes if you happen to be in Brisvegas)
    Erik

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 4, 2008
    Oh Doc. How I hate you lol3.gif

Not really but what a great trip. How'd you like the RT?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jtbraunjtbraun Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Doc, can't wait to see the rest! I've always wanted to visit NZ since they have zorbing and tons of sheep lol3.gif

Well, you may not have the sheep, but a Zorbing location has been opened in Pigeon Forge, TN. I did the Zorbing in New Zealand last October, and was lucky enough to do it again in TN. The outfit in TN is actually the same one from NZ, but their hill is twice as long! It's fantastic...my wife and I did it "wet" (you're both in the ball, in swim suits, with about 15 gallons of warm water). Found ourselves giggling like kindergartners the whole way down.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Oh Doc. How I hate you lol3.gif

Not really but what a great trip. How'd you like the RT?
    :D

Yeah, you know, it's an RT. Between this one and my dad's, I've logged several thousand miles on one. There's always the "getting to know you" time with any bike that's new to you, so it was nice to have had some experience on the bike I was renting. It really is a great beast for touring paved roads with the Mrs on the back seat. Eats up tons of luggage (man I wish GS's had the little glove box!), handles great. The first gear is a bit tall, but as you know, I'm coming off two GSadventures, so that's to be expected.

For touring, for me, I still prefer a GS. As great as the RT is, I can push a GS just as hard and fast, comfortably, but more importantly, I feel much more confident with the wide bars and 19" front wheel at low speeds. For u-turns, unsealed roads, even navigating a city that you are totally unfamiliar with, I'm just more at home on the GS. They do have one thing in common - that great engine. Happy to lope along, but plenty of torque at my beck and call.
    :ian
    Erik