Options

Ladies church group portraits.

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited February 17, 2008 in People
My nieces Wednesday night ladies church group had an activity night and they wanted me to come and photograph them. Sounded like fun and it was.
This is the first time I have shot any indoor portraits so it was a learning experience for me. We hung some fabrid my niece bought at the fabric store and just went for it. I used a small softbox and sb800 for the light.
I think I had the ladies to close to the background on some of these.
Feel free to provide constructive criticism, as I said this is the first time I have tried indoor portraits so I probably didn't get it quite right.

252349312_6CHVv-O.jpg

252349307_t39X6-O.jpg

252349300_A3tYm-O.jpg

252349296_LyDxr-O.jpg

252349306_YFkPm-O.jpg

And what would a ladies church group set be without a baby in a bucket shot??
252349304_K73fk-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    All very nice. The baby is so cute. My favorite is the one above it. 1, 2, and 3 look like they have red eye.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    This is not a critism of the pictures as such, but more of an observation.

There is something about the make-up that distracts from the pictures, for me. It makes their skintones look "painted". It distracts from natural beauty. Maybe it is a cultural thing. American ladies tend to wear a lot of makeup, Europeens less so. As someone who is more used to seeing a lady in her more "natural state", the make-up is very obvious.

That being said, I really like the 1st picture. I like the baby too, but it unfortunately looks like it is wearing make-up! :D
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Zoomer...
    You done real good. I love #1. The eyes though have red in the pupil (4 of the shots). These up close portraits need a bit of eye help...make them crystal clear, beautiful, popping!. Other than that, they are lovely. Nice job.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I love composition and your subjects are very good looking, i have a hard time with your post processing, it looks very overprocesses, the skin doesn't look real, or is it a make up? I would make it a bit softer and more pleasing to the eye. They appear very very sharp, which is good, but at the same time, they don't look realistic.
    Just my opinion :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    You all have better eyes than I do. I couldn't see any red eye.
    I think what was there was mostly the small catchlight from the on camera flash which I did a very poor job of cloning out. Anyway I cleaned them up and here are reposted below. There was same small red eye in a couple of them that I could see at 200% thanks for pointing that out.

As to the processing. My clients and folks I shoot for Love this look. If they wanted reality they would shoot their own pictures complete with all their blemishes and skin flaws and bad skin tone. They want to look as good as possible.

I don't dispute the photos are processed to make the ladies look their best and I am ok with that. I do understand the viewpoint of the folks that prefer to leave photos of people just how they are, that just isn't what I do. If people want that look they don't hire me.

Reposts, the eyes should be ok now. Thanks for pointing out the problem.
    I do appreciate all the constructive criticisms.

252448727_2ziPe-O.jpg

252448723_9quJh-O.jpg

252448718_TmYJ5-O.jpg

252448715_77NF6-O.jpg

252448721_pNrWq-O.jpg
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    clap.gif Great photos!
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Wow, church groups look different than when I was a kid. You did a great job, I think, These are wonderful. Yes, I agree it would be better to pull them further away from the background and light the background separately. And I agree with the others that the skin looks overprocessed, too smooth or too fake. (I understand that's personal taste)

But for your first ever indoor portraits, they're exceptional. Congrats.

Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    tnoisawtnoisaw Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Excellant!!!clap.gif
  • Options
    brianhanleybrianhanley Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    is it just me, or is the first girl looking a bit too... sexy? for a church group pic?? headscratch.gif
    Nikon D50 brianhanley.com
  • Options
    jensen photosjensen photos Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Anyone else notice the iris's of the eyes are wide open?

How in the world was that accomplished?
    Just call me Jay.
    My photo gallery.
    O mother river, Mississippi sing me your song.
  • Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    is it just me, or is the first girl looking a bit too... sexy? for a church group pic?? headscratch.gif

as a southern baptist youth pastor's daughter... no, it isn't too sexy... it's probably close... but it'd be acceptable, she's modestly dressed, so she's ok lol
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    #1 has nothing to do w/ clothing.
    It's trying to have the 'come hither' eyes coupled w/ the pose.

I could care less, but that shot is provocative all day.

I know it's a matter of taste, but I do agree w/ the others about the skin being over processed. This looks more like glamor shots than portraits.

Dak,
    Good grab on the red eye. I don't even look for red eye anymore due to how I light things. Nice to be reminded that red eye can occur even when lighting is off camera.

-Jon
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Anyone else notice the iris's of the eyes are wide open?

How in the world was that accomplished?
    Just shoot w/ strobes in low light.
  • Options
    gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    You state your making them look there best.

How are you making them look their "best" when your making them look nothing like them selves?

make them look better? What's wrong with who they are? Why does everyone want to be something/someone they arn't?

They are good portraits and the effect works if thats what you are going for. I just find it odd how you explained what you did.

#1 looks like she is going to pop out of her shirt. Good looking girl though.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    You state your making them look there best.

How are you making them look their "best" when your making them look nothing like them selves?

make them look better? What's wrong with who they are? Why does everyone want to be something/someone they arn't?

If the clients are happy with the final pictures, it doesn't matter what we think. I don't like heavily processed pictures either, but in the end, it's what the customer/client wants that matters.

Great pictures.
  • Options
    gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    If the clients are happy with the final pictures, it doesn't matter what we think. I don't like heavily processed pictures either, but in the end, it's what the customer/client wants that matters.

Great pictures.

Oh I agree whole heartedly. But in these images your not making your clients look "their" best. Your changing their looks.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Options
    JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    kejago wrote:
    This is not a critism of the pictures as such, but more of an observation.

There is something about the make-up that distracts from the pictures, for me. It makes their skintones look "painted". It distracts from natural beauty. Maybe it is a cultural thing. American ladies tend to wear a lot of makeup, Europeens less so. As someone who is more used to seeing a lady in her more "natural state", the make-up is very obvious.

That being said, I really like the 1st picture. I like the baby too, but it unfortunately looks like it is wearing make-up! :D

I agree. I think is one of the big reasons that European women are so attractive. There is also the same phenomenon in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. (the states of Oregon and Washington). Women there tend to be more natural, and beautiful, too.
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Seems folks here are pretty well divided on the processing issue.
    Here is a link of an example of what some people are doing out there today.
    Just look in any magazine.
    http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/index.html
  • Options
    kejagokejago Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Here is a link of an example of what some people are doing out there today.
    Just look in any magazine.
    http://www.glennferon.com/portfolio1/index.html

Wow! I am surprised at how much the images are manipulated. Not just adjust contrast and brightness, but we are talking boob jobs, tummy tucks, and digital lipsuction!

I find it sad that natural beauty is lost, and hidden. Why all this trends for more make-up, more bigger boobs, flatter this, thinnner that?

I guess this is why I haver felt drawn to glamour photography. It is not real. I tend to prefer the more candid style of photography.

Sorry, I am highjacking this thread now Zoomer. Not my intention, but I just wanted to say, that some people still prefer "au natural", than "fake". I just wish I had the talent to capture it though. I would very much love to see if you could photograph the 1st girl, in a more natural setting / state. She is beautiful, and I am sure the pics will turn out superb. thumb.gif
  • Options
    work2fishwork2fish Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    kejago wrote:
    I find it sad that natural beauty is lost, and hidden. Why all this trends for more make-up, more bigger boobs, flatter this, thinnner that?

I don't like it, either, however, the folks they are attracting with these images can be just as fake, so I don't know that it matters much... mwink.gif

Very nice lighting and poses, though...

Cheers,
    Mike
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    Broad vs Short lighting
    I am biased a bit toward short lighting, and I like most of what you've done with these ladies. The one who could have (IMO) benefited most from short lighting though, was the younger looking girl with the flowered thingy in her hair. With her round, slightly chubby face, she was not flattered by the broad lighting. I don't do much portrait work, so can't claim any expertise, but I know what I like.

Overall I really like these shots. I think the pp went a little bit overboard, but that's just a matter of degree. When I DO shoot portraits, young women especially, my guiding principle in skin smoothing is to try to make the subject look the way she might have looked on the mythical best day of her life, when every single "piece" of her was at it's most beautiful and perfect. Maybe today the skin on her cheeks is a bit dry and scaley - but once is was perfect. Maybe today her eyes are a bit bloodshot - but once they were perfect. Maybe she drinks too much coffee, so her teeth have gone a bit yellow - but they COULD be whitened.

Before we had photography, any portrait was painted or sculpted. Most of the time, those artists did their best to portray their subjects in the way that best brought out the essential attractiveness, power, piety, or whatever, of the subject. A literal technical rendering of the physical likeness of the subject not the idea.

And whoever said "church ladies" have to be asexual beings?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    tonichelletonichelle Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2008
    JohnDC wrote:
    I agree. I think is one of the big reasons that European women are so attractive. There is also the same phenomenon in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. (the states of Oregon and Washington). Women there tend to be more natural, and beautiful, too.

Alaska is about being more natural too... we rarely wear make up and if we do it's not made up

of course if you're TRANSPLANTED here... you stand out because chances are they cake it on (compared to most of us) rolleyes1.gif

I hate the stuff myself lol
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water."
  • Options
    muyguapomuyguapo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    My nieces Wednesday night ladies church group had an activity night and they wanted me to come and photograph them. Sounded like fun and it was.
    This is the first time I have shot any indoor portraits so it was a learning experience for me. We hung some fabrid my niece bought at the fabric store and just went for it. I used a small softbox and sb800 for the light.
    I think I had the ladies to close to the background on some of these.
    Feel free to provide constructive criticism, as I said this is the first time I have tried indoor portraits so I probably didn't get it quite right.

Fantastic shots, especially the first one.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    #1 is still strangly provocative.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    #1 is still strangly provocative.

You say that like its a bad thing:D
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    muyguapomuyguapo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    You say that like its a bad thing:D

Laughing.gif!
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2008
    shes like 12!
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    shes like 12!

i'm sorry, i dont know what you americans put in your cereals but if she is 12, you should really reconsider if you can put people in jail for taking jail bait. from my view, she looks more like 21 then 12 eek7.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Zoomer,

I think you did an excellent job on these portraits thumb.gif

I do have a hard time understanding how this was your "first" attempt, given how well the lighting is setup and subjects posed. If so, man, your a natural talent and I await more of your pics.

On the post processing:

I understand everyone's likes are different to a degree, but I like your PP work. I spent a fair amount of money going 6 states over from mine to work with a fantastic portrait photographer, to learn from him. A large part of his "magic" is in PP.

His thoughts are "They see "real" everyday in the mirror, that's not what they want to see in their portraits" While some/many may disagree, I do not.

I am a bit perplexed about all the folks who think that a picture should not be processed past some magical line in the sand. But, dare I say that not one of them will post a pic here without post processing it.

Hmmm...

A curves layer to give the picture more POP!

Some USM!

Vignette anyone?

How about Black & White? --- Who see's in Black & White in reality?

Why is it OK to whiten teeth, but not smooth skin?

Wow, how'd I get up on that soapbox? ne_nau.gif

Anyway, I like your pics...
    Randy
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    rwells wrote:

I am a bit perplexed about all the folks who think that a picture should not be processed past some magical line in the sand. But, dare I say that not one of them will post a pic here without post processing it.

Hmmm...

A curves layer to give the picture more POP!

Some USM!

Vignette anyone?

How about Black & White? --- Who see's in Black & White in reality?

Why is it OK to whiten teeth, but not smooth skin?

Wow, how'd I get up on that soapbox? ne_nau.gif

Anyway, I like your pics...

I think it is mostly a matter of differing tastes and opinions......and we obviously have a variety of those in the forum. Many of my clients lean heavily on the side of wanting BW or other forms of monotones. Others are buyers of strictly color. Guess there is a lid for every pot?

mwink.gif