Options

Ok andy & fish....its done

2»

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Probably the 1st lens i will buy for it.....god what have i gotten myself into. I cant stop reading & searching about the 135 L f/2 :cry
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    WTG Gus!!! ^5
    It's about time thumb.gifthumb.gif

You're gonna love it and FWIW, us Canon shooters still would have liked ya if you had gone Nikonian rolleyes1.gif Not as much, but we'd still talk to you :lol :lol

Plus, just think of all the loaner glass that will be available up at Yosemite....lol

Can't wait to see some of your first pics with itclap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Probably the 1st lens i will buy for it.....god what have i gotten myself into. I cant stop reading & searching about the 135 L f/2 :cry
    You can try mine at Yosemite.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    It's about time thumb.gifthumb.gif

You're gonna love it and FWIW, us Canon shooters still would have liked ya if you had gone Nikonian rolleyes1.gif Not as much, but we'd still talk to you :lol :lol

Plus, just think of all the loaner glass that will be available up at Yosemite....lol

Can't wait to see some of your first pics with itclap.gif

Steve
    Ta steve & ian..problem being that i wont have time to process & evaluate any stuff from yos to make a choice...i will prob ask a learned gentleman i know in the US to buy me something nice once i paypal him some ready.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

here's one for $775 usd
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You can try mine at Yosemite.
    You mongrel....really, you have one ? They are amazing....
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Mate i dont know what it is over there but no way do i pay 95% + for 2nd hand...that buy/sell forum is like pulling up a chair next to a bug zapper.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Mate i dont know what it is over there but no way do i pay 95% + for 2nd hand...that buy/sell forum is like pulling up a chair next to a bug zapper.
    It's $900 at B&H. You save $125, which is more than 10%. Plus shared shipping costs. If you don't do Paypal, you save some $$. If you do this with all your lenses, it adds up in a hurry.

And I gotta say, every lens save one that I've bought through FM has been indistinguishable from new.

So IMHO, I've saved hundreds of dollars for lenses that are essentially in new condition.

Natch, no legal warranty, which is prolly an issue all the way in Oz. But glass doesn't break down much, you know. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

the better canon glass really holds it's value, 'gus. in some respects, it is what it is...
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Look at it this way, gus, if it doesn't suit you, you can sell it for what you paid. The "used factor" was figured in when you bought it. Probably lose shipping costs or something, but that is one way to look at it.

ginger

I bought mine that way here, this spring. Just didn't see a way around it, and i saved a few bucks. Made some friends.........???
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Never any fear of losing money ginger...the 135 f/2 is $1546.83 USD here.

I could buy any lens & bring it back & make a profit. That said...i can buy some of the worlds most exotic birds for 20 bucks...a trade off really.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Never any fear of losing money ginger...the 135 f/2 is $1546.83 USD here.

I could buy any lens & bring it back & make a profit. That said...i can buy some of the worlds most exotic birds for 20 bucks...a trade off really.

here's another one, 'gus
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Shouldnt you be out looking at cameras ?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    $45 for shipping? He fell out of his tree and bonked his head.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    $45 for shipping? He fell out of his tree and bonked his head.
    Seriously if i saw some stuff there that i thought was ok priced i would buy it..as it does appear to be a very secure place to do biz. You just have to be very carefull not to frenzy buy...imagine if they had more cameras there...we'd never see andy again.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Seriously if i saw some stuff there that i thought was ok priced i would buy it..as it does appear to be a very secure place to do biz. You just have to be very carefull not to frenzy buy...imagine if they had more cameras there...we'd never see andy again.
    See, that's the thing. It sounds like what you consider a reasonable price for a used Canon L lens, is out of step with the market. The suckers really hold onto their value. Which, as Andy's discovering, is a good thing when you decide to sell them again.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    See, that's the thing. It sounds like what you consider a reasonable price for a used Canon L lens, is out of step with the market. The suckers really hold onto their value. Which, as Andy's discovering, is a good thing when you decide to sell them again.
    You can make it sound however you like.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    I agree w/ the FM comments here. I've bought & sold a lot of glass there & have never been disappointed.

My latest purchase there saved me $400-$500 on one lens. It was 2 weeks old, can't tell it from new.

This was a dream lens for me, but that sale put it in my price range. I've never been happier.

Dave
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    I've never been happier.

Dave

Really? That's the happiest moment of your life? The Disneyland moment, as it were....

Wow.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Seriously i have no problem buying 2nd hand from someone whom can be spoken for...because its cheaper ..right ? Thats why we all do it for stuff thats currently avail off the shelf.

But as we have all seen with ebay & the likes..people can start to froth at the mouth & then its best to step back & take stock of exacly what the new price is. I have seen stuff go for less than 5% of new & thats not including postage.

I saved 20% off the price with putting the deposit on the 20D yesterday. Its got maybe 600 shots on it but is 'as new' with remaining local warranty...to me 20% is worth it.

Where's fish when you need a good argument over nothing other than peoples thoughts on the other side of the world.
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Why not just get this lens? mwink.gif

eos1200b.jpg

1200mm eek7.gif
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    It's a 1200/5.6, that means it will still AF with my 1.4x!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    That lens is $80K USD...if anyone sees it at $79 950 + shipping...let me know.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    If you buy it on a mileage credit card you get 8 round trip tickets in the US as well.