Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Filled a 1 cup measuring cup about half full with almonds, then added walnuts to overflowing. I shook in a good amount of raw sunflower seeds (the walnuts leave lots of empty space).

I dumped that in a food processor and put in a few really good shakes of cinnamon. I processed it for probably 30 seconds or so, then tossed in three pitted medjool dates and blended it up again. That's it! I just smashed the stuff into little balls using my hands and stored them in a tupperware container.

The second batch, I used 1 TBS of Dr. Fuhrman's cocoa powder and 1 tsp of cinnamon. They are very decadent and delicious.
    wings.gif Finally got to make these (with cocoa) and they are awesome! thumb.gif I just noticed I used 5 dates...guess I'm not very good at following directions but they were mighty good!
  • Options
    NomadRipNomadRip Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2008
    Never had Acorn Squash before. Then again I don't think I've ever tried to prepare anything from a recipe before. Turned out pretty good...definitely different.

677a3bbb.jpg

I blame Baldy for making our refridgerator look like this.

65af4b36.jpg
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited February 26, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:

65af4b36.jpg
    Whoa, dude. You're gonna transform your health. Pyndn.gif
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:
    Just considering the amount of jobs alone that would be completely unecessary if we suddenly shifted out thinking as a "civilization" to an actually healthier lifestle (not one of bacon and eggs to wash down the cholesterol meds) is mind-blowing to me.
    Imagine the economics of General Motors. What if their health insurance costs were half of what they are now? What if the workers lost less time from getting heart bypass ops? What if they had the energy and vitality and mental sharpness you get from being vibrantly healthy? What if their older workers were still spry instead of overweight, tired, arthritic?

My bet is the company would be more competitive. And there would be more jobs in Detroit building cars, shorter waits in the emergency rooms, and fewer clerks reviewing health claims in the insurance companies.

Ugh.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Eat to Live Highlights
    I just finished going through Eat to Live again and here are some of the highlights:
    • Health of food = Nutrition / Calories
    • People don't get fat because they eat too much food - they get fat because they eat the wrong foods
    • As long as you are eating fatty foods and refined carbohydrates, it is impossible to lose weight healthfully.
    • Letting your kids eat fast food meals may be more risky to their health than letting them take up smoking.
    • Lean people live longer.
    • High nutrient, low calorie eating results in dramatic increases in life span as well as prevention of chronic illnesses. He sees:
      • Increased resistance to induced cancers
      • Protection from spontaneous and genetically predisposed cancers
      • A delay in the onset of late-life diseases
      • nonappearance of atherosclerosis and deibetes
      • Lower cholesterol and triglycerides and increased HDL
      • Improved insulin sensitivity
      • Enhancement of the energy-conservation mechanism, including reduced body temperature
      • Reduction in oxidative stress
      • Reduction in parameters of cellular aging, including cellular congestion
      • Enhancement of cellular repair mechanisms, including DNA repair enzymes
      • Reduction in inflammatory response and immune cell proliferation
      • Improved defenses against environmental stresses
      • Suppression of the genetic alterations associated with aging
      • Protection of genes associated with removeal of oxygen radicals
      • Inhibited production of metabiolies that are potent cross-linking agents
      • Slowed metabolic rate
    • In a 6-year study of 65,000 women and 43,000 men, those with diets high in refined carbohydrates from white bread, white rice and pasta had 2-1/2 times the indicent of Type II diabetes compared with those who ate high-fiber foods such as whole-wheat break and brown rice.
    • Dr. Walter Willet, M.D. from the Harvard School of Public Health says that the Food Guide pyramid should be changed to move refined grains like white bread up to the sweets category because metabollically they're basically the same.
    • Low-fiber carbohydrates such as pasta are almost as damaging as white sugar. White pasta is not a health food.
    • In only three months time on a healthful diet, a patient of Fuhrman's lower his cholesterol from 230 to 174, his Triflycerides from 226 to 57 and raised his HDL from 55 yo 78. This is not unusual. Diet can change blood cholesterol level big time.
    • Fat has zero or very nutrition and lots of calories. Thus, according to the health equation at the top of this list, fat is not very healthful.
    • Even healthy fats (those in raw huts and seeds and avocados) should be consumed in moderation.
    • Olive oil is not a health food as it has calories and hardly any nutrition. It only helps you if you are using it instead of a less healthful oil or fat (like butter or a trans-fat or a saturated fat).
    • Natural fiber from fruits and vegetables and beans has tons of health benefits. Among other things, it slows down the glucose absorbption, controls the rate of digestions, lowers cholesterol and offers a bunch of benefits in the digestive system. Some believe that fiber also helps rid the body of toxins since the fiber is carried through your whole digestive system intact.
    • High fiber foods offer significant protection against some forms of cancer (particularly colon cancer) and against heart disease. You must get the whole high-fiber food, not just added fiber.
    • If you eat the way Fuhrman suggests, you will get 50-100 grams of fiber per day.
    • Excluding potatoes, Americans consume a mere 5 percent of their calories from fruits, vegetables and legumes.
    • There is a direct correlation between the amount of unrefined plant food in the diet and the rate of heart disease and cancer in countries around the world. The higher the amount of unrefined plant food in the diet, the lower the rates of cancer and heart disease. There's a startling chart on page 51 that shows this.
    • On average, 25 percent of calories in vegetables are from protein. Romaine lettuce is rich in protein and essential fatty acids.
    • The greater the quanitity and assortment of fruits and vegetables consumed, the lower the incidence of strokes, heart attacks and cancer.
    • Pill-form supplements cannot take the place of real fruits and vegetables. It just doesn't work.
    • Which food has more protein per 100 calories (steak or broccoli). The answer is brocolli has twice as much (11.2 grams vs. 5.4 grams). The majority of calories in steak come from fat, the majority in broccoli from protein.
    • Don't get confused by the labelling of foods items as nutrients per weight. By that measure, a MacDonald's McLean burger is 91% fat-free. Instead, look at the percentage of calories from fat. By that measure, that burger is 68% fat. Two percent milk is not really 98% fat free. 35 percent of it's calories come from fat. The food industry is trying to fool us by using percent of weight instead of percent of calories.
    • Our goverment spends over $20 billion dollars in price supports for the dairy, beef and veal industries. The money goes to farmers to artificially reduce the cost of crops used to feed cows, helping to reduce the prices we pay for these meats in the store. Fruits and vegetables grown for human consumption are exempted from these USDA price supports. In the end, we pay billions of dollars in taxes to promote disease-causing foods that also keep our health insurance costs high.
    • The USDA food pyrmaid is a real mess. Following the USDA guidelines will not reduce your risk of cancer. Eating mostly fruits and vegetables and minimizing the other foods will reduce your risk of cancer.
    • Cancer is a fruit and vegetable-deficiency disease
    • Nobody in the massive Framingham study with a total cholesterol level below 150 has had a heart attack. Nobody.
    • Research shows that those who avoid meat and dairy have lower rates of heart disease, cancer, high blood pressure, diabets and obesity. Vegans live longer in America.
    • It's not enough just to be vegan - you still must get the majority of your calories from unrefined plant food (fruits and vegetables).
    • Here's the list of cancers associated with increased consumption of animal products:
      • Bladder cancer
      • Brain cancer
      • Breast cancer
      • Colon cancer
      • Encometrial cancer
      • Intestinal cancer
      • Kidney cancer
      • Leukiemia
      • Lung cancer
      • Lymphoma
      • Oralpharyngeal cancer
      • Ovarian cancer
      • Pancraetic cancer
      • Prostate cancer
      • Skin cancer
      • Stomach cancer
    • There are lots of vegetables that have great sources of calcium. You don't need dairy to get more than enough calcium.
    • Caloric density is the key to losing weight. Eat foods that have lower ratios of calories to fiber and bulk and you will fill up while consuming less calories.
    • Because meats, dairy and oils are so dense in calories, it is practically impossible for us to eat them without consuming an excess of calories. By the time we feel satisfied, we've consumed way too many calories. The opposite happens with fruits and vegetables.
    • There's a very helpful nutrient-density table on page 120-121. High on the list are raw leafy green vegetables, non-starchy vegetables, beans and fruits. Low on the list are fish, meats, eggs, cheese, oils, refined grains and refined sweets.
    • If you eat greens at least five times per week, your risk of age-related blindness drops by more than 86 percent.
    • Omega-6 fats are bad for you (pro-inflammatory).
    • Omega-3 fats are good for you (anti-inflammatory).
    • Great sources of omega-3 fats are: flaxseed, flax oil, walnuts, soybeans, tofu.
    • Cheese is more than 50 percent of calories from fat (bad).
    • If you eat appropriate amounts of vegetables, you will get plenty of protein. The only time vegans have to worry about protein is if too much of their diet somes from refined grains, white bread or other processed foods. Vegetables and whole grains have lots of protein in them.
    • A cholesterol level of 180 may not be good enough. You want it below 150.
    • Fuhrman is able to cure 90-95% of headache sufferers that he treats through a vegan diet alone. He believes the vegan diet removes a number of toxins from the body that contribute to the headaches.
    • The one vitamin that you must make sure you get is B12. You can get it either from fortified foods (like soy milk) or from a vitamin pill. A vitamin B12 deficiency can be serious.
    • B12 comes from plants - it's a bacterial microbe. It gets into the meat supply because animals eat it on plants grown in the wild. Ancient man got it from the wild plants they ate, but it is now washed off many of our farm-raised plants.
    • Caffeine (coffee and sodas) raises cholesterol
    • Artificial sweeteners do not necessarily work. While they keep calories out of the item they are used in, that very item does not satisfy your body so you are likely to go eat something else that contains calories.
    If you haven't read this book, you really should. If you read it once, you should probably read it again because you'll get even more out of it the second time around.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Great video, and great food layout, Bethy. And you are looking incredibly HOT!

Share them recipes, girl!

(and btw the video plays constantly even when stopped.)
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    NomadRip wrote:

65af4b36.jpg

Boy I wish I had access to veggies and fruit that looked that good - but then again how much diesel fuel would it take to get that here?!?
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    Imagine the economics of General Motors. What if their health insurance costs were half of what they are now? What if the workers lost less time from getting heart bypass ops? What if they had the energy and vitality and mental sharpness you get from being vibrantly healthy? What if their older workers were still spry instead of overweight, tired, arthritic?

My bet is the company would be more competitive. And there would be more jobs in Detroit building cars, shorter waits in the emergency rooms, and fewer clerks reviewing health claims in the insurance companies.

Ugh.

I agree totally with that. Most industry would benefit greatly from a total turn-around, of course. I was more referring to all the folks working in various fields like the food company research scientists, fast and processed food industry, pharmacuetical industry, about half of government organizations, all but the emergency portion of the medical profession, and most of Iowa if everyone stopped eating a western diet. (And I know I'm simplifying things ever so slightly :D)
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Boy I wish I had access to veggies and fruit that looked that good - but then again how much diesel fuel would it take to get that here?!?
    Most of that came from the weekly Farmer's market here, too. Actually not even very expensive, but I imagine since we don't get much below 70 down here, things tend to grow well, so most didn't have to travel far. (I threw the center of a red pepper in a potted plant the other day, and it sprouted 2 days later, that's how well things grow here)
  • Options
    bethybethy Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    * hides under desk

at least baldy is good with the camera and editing.....
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    * hides under desk

Dude you are looking hawt thumb.gif
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    wings.gif Finally got to make these (with cocoa) and they are awesome! thumb.gif I just noticed I used 5 dates...guess I'm not very good at following directions but they were mighty good!
    Glad you used more dates! I have found myself adding more now that I've made these several times. I may need to go back and edit my original post... I like the extra moisture the dates add.

-Anne
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    * hides under desk

It was good to put a face to the chef extraordinaire. clap.gif

Sorry I missed out on the spread. I will be spending a couple of weeks at headquarters in May, though. mwink.gif

-Anne
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Glad you used more dates! I have found myself adding more now that I've made these several times. I may need to go back and edit my original post... I like the extra moisture the dates add.

-Anne

The other thing that I've been doing is running the food processor for longer. The oils start to get released, making for a better ball.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    * hides under desk

Awesome video! Beth, your food looks almost as good as you do! :tuesday

I tried googling 'potato what's-it-called' and I got nuthin'.

ear.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    I just had some of the potato-what's-it-called with a ton of arugula for lunch and it was really good, better leftover. I'll see about getting some recipes up some time. Work is pretty crazy right now so I'm behind on everything....
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    * hides under desk

There was no editing. I turned the camera on and the hostess shined. Then I turned it off.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Regarding date/fruit/nut bars and moisture, I like a fairly high nut to fruit ratio so it isn't too sweet, so I sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of orange juice or lemon juice to my mixture to moisten them up without having to add more dates.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    Ha. I just assumed there was editing because I couldn't bear to watch myself for more than 10 seconds. I'm a big dork though. I think we all know that by now.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    Okay. I am hungry again after the Oscar food fest. Looks good.

On completely tangential news... heard this one today so I had to look it up.

Pfizer to End Lipitor Campaign by Jarvik

Linky to New York Times Article
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2008
    On completely tangential news... heard this one today so I had to look it up.

Pfizer to End Lipitor Campaign by Jarvik

Linky to New York Times Article
    2 years, over $250 million spent just for advertising Lipitor. What a waste!
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2008
    bethy wrote:
    Regarding date/fruit/nut bars and moisture, I like a fairly high nut to fruit ratio so it isn't too sweet, so I sometimes add a couple of tablespoons of orange juice or lemon juice to my mixture to moisten them up without having to add more dates.

Oooh... excellent idea!

Also, I will try running the food processor longer. So far I've been avoiding that because it's loud and I'm a wimp. :D

-Anne
  • Options
    FierytreeFierytree Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    That's one stalk. The first time I made it I found the huge ones, too, and I used 3 of 'em. Since then, they're big sometimes, small others. But I like the soup with the 3 huge leeks, so if they're small, depending on how small, I might use up to 9. They vary a lot in size, I've found. Of course, if you think they're too big, you could use just two. But trust me, it's hard to have too much leek in this soup. thumb.gif
    Let's just say for laughs that you could have too much leek in the soup...anyone have a recommendation as to how to hide that flavor? We have a "boatload" of Dr. Fuhrman's Anti Cancer soup and I have no idea how we are going to get through it. It's making me ill to think about throwing it out though. Suggestions?

And off the top of your heads, is TVP ever a problem for some people? I keep thinking part of my ill thoughts towards the soup stems from knowning that new ingredient is in there too. mwink.gif

Overall the recipes in the book are great and I appreciate the weight loss, just curious for some tips. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Fierytree wrote:
    Let's just say for laughs that you could have too much leek in the soup...anyone have a recommendation as to how to hide that flavor? We have a "boatload" of Dr. Fuhrman's Anti Cancer soup and I have no idea how we are going to get through it. It's making me ill to think about throwing it out though. Suggestions?

And off the top of your heads, is TVP ever a problem for some people? I keep thinking part of my ill thoughts towards the soup stems from knowning that new ingredient is in there too. mwink.gif

Overall the recipes in the book are great and I appreciate the weight loss, just curious for some tips. headscratch.gif

Do not use TVP, even Dr. F has renounced it since he published that book. You don't need it, and it's overly processed food. Blecch.

I freeze the soup, and it works out great. I get those gladware rip-off storage containers from Smart & Final, each one hold 3 cups, pop 'em in the freezer.

As for the leek flavor
    curry powder is awesome on the soup. I must have a high tolerance to leeks. I think they're awesome. ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    FierytreeFierytree Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Do not use TVP, even Dr. F has renounced it since he published that book. You don't need it, and it's overly processed food. Blecch.

I freeze the soup, and it works out great. I get those gladware rip-off storage containers from Smart & Final, each one hold 3 cups, pop 'em in the freezer.

As for the leek flavor
    curry powder is awesome on the soup. I must have a high tolerance to leeks. I think they're awesome. ne_nau.gif
    DOH to the TVP...thank you for the update! I'll cross it out of the book I have and try curry in the soup. thumb.gif
    As for freezing, I'd been worried about the freezing limiting the nutritional content in the soup but it seems clear we are not going to be going through all the soup that was made.
    Thank you for the great suggestions!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Longtime listener, first time caller :D

first Q, is there something besides the VitaZest to use in the anti-cancer soup? Seems to be out of stock?

And, does someone have a link to Anne McBeans blog? She has such great recipes. I have been looking for it and can't find it for the life of me. Maybe you guys could add a few bookmarks in the first post of this thread...ne_nau.gif

This seems like a dumb question, but I am struggling less with the recipes, and more of how to shop. If someone did a "week in the life of" that would be super insightful as to how to shop and plan veg*n meals for a household. I really don't want to go to the grocery store every day, because I'm missing two or three things I need for a new recipe. Does that make sense?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    Lynn, you don't really need anything to replace the veggiezest, but I use Gayelord Hauser's veggetable broth. It's a powder I buy in Whole Foods.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lynn, you don't really need anything to replace the veggiezest, but I use Gayelord Hauser's veggetable broth. It's a powder I buy in Whole Foods.

rock on! We have a WF now about an hour from me, I'm going this weekend, I just want to make the best of the trip! :D Thanks DTO!
    Canon 5D MkI