Options

Meet Lindsey-Sr 2008

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited March 17, 2008 in People
We were able to get a good bit done today before the sun got too high in the sky. Tommorrow, we will go back out in the afternoon to finish up her senior portfolio.

All were taken in downtown Baton Rouge at the new and old state capitol grounds, and the old train station.

I made heavy use of a reflector on these. It isn't often that I have someone there to help out with that. I also mixed in some flash where I thought it was needed. The big... oops ...came when my pc monitor wigged out on me tonight. That was freaky-deaky for sure, but I think it is more or less under control now.

As always, lessons learned: Today that would be that I should really...really use my 85mm lens more often!!!

Hope you enjoy.....

So Heeeeeerrreeess Lindsey!!!

265180586_d7WDJ-L.jpg

265179670_xPfK9-L.jpg

265184364_KQWeT-L.jpg

265183285_R9Zf9-L.jpg

265180891_eSisk-L.jpg

265186021_XLe6j-L.jpg

265187775_HdSdU-L.jpg

265191320_6aRBV-L.jpg

265191432_HYVp4-L.jpg

265179170_8MThE-L.jpg

265177858_MsN72-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Wonderful Jeff
    These are very very nice. I like how you got creative with the "quality" of light. Nice sharp images and elegant processing. Two thumbs up from this boy! thumb.gifthumb
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    These make me miss my days with a model.
    I'll echo Swartzy - beautiful shots of a beautiful young lady - and then ask if she's going to be a model or actress. If so, add some other expressions. As captivating as her winsome smile is, my jaw began to ache by the seventh picture. Her hair never changes, either. Any of these pictures would be perfect in her portfolio (my choices: 1, 2, 5, 6 or 7, and 11), but without variety any agent - especially acting - will close her portfolio after three pages and tell her to get some pictures that show a range of moods and expressions.

For tomorrow, I'd recommend shooting well into sunset (if possible) and get some shots of her looking thoughtful, cold, excited, playful, sneaky, etc. If you can, try sitting her on the beach, blanket over her shoulders, watching the sun go down, thinking about her day (boyfriend, mom, puppy, last night's game, etc.) If not the beach, maybe an apartment balcony while she sips tea. Tie her hair back (and watch the flyaways). Get some profile shots. When you get an idea, don't be afraid to say, "Let's try this." Have her bring some props to give her something to do with her hands other than putting them in her pockets. (Maybe a flower to enjoy while sitting on the beach thinking of her true love.) Show the agencies the many sides of Lindsey.

Great shots, Jeffreaux. Two more thumbs up. Not a bad shot in the lot. I look forward to seeing the results of tomorrow's shoot. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Most of all, have fun!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Gorgeous set of senior photos, Jeff! Really, these are some of my favorites from you. Beautiful light, great locations, very nice processing! Can't wait to see the rest! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Excellent work here, Jeff. Some of your best yet.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    I'll echo Swartzy - beautiful shots of a beautiful young lady - and then ask if she's going to be a model or actress. If so, add some other expressions. As captivating as her winsome smile is, my jaw began to ache by the seventh picture. Her hair never changes, either. Any of these pictures would be perfect in her portfolio (my choices: 1, 2, 5, 6 or 7, and 11), but without variety any agent - especially acting - will close her portfolio after three pages and tell her to get some pictures that show a range of moods and expressions.

For tomorrow, I'd recommend shooting well into sunset (if possible) and get some shots of her looking thoughtful, cold, excited, playful, sneaky, etc. If you can, try sitting her on the beach, blanket over her shoulders, watching the sun go down, thinking about her day (boyfriend, mom, puppy, last night's game, etc.) If not the beach, maybe an apartment balcony while she sips tea. Tie her hair back (and watch the flyaways). Get some profile shots. When you get an idea, don't be afraid to say, "Let's try this." Have her bring some props to give her something to do with her hands other than putting them in her pockets. (Maybe a flower to enjoy while sitting on the beach thinking of her true love.) Show the agencies the many sides of Lindsey.

Great shots, Jeffreaux. Two more thumbs up. Not a bad shot in the lot. I look forward to seeing the results of tomorrow's shoot. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Most of all, have fun!

Thanks....I think?

Sorry about your jaw.

She does not intend to be an actress or model. These are her senior photos....as she will be graduating in May.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Gorgeous set of senior photos, Jeff! Really, these are some of my favorites from you. Beautiful light, great locations, very nice processing! Can't wait to see the rest! clap.gif

Thanks Elaine. I wasn't too sure (as you know) about the processing. Luckily, I had the luxury of calling it quits yesterday when the light got to be too harsh. It was time anyway as we had been at it for 3 hours already. It was a mess. I normally do photos downtown in the afternoons. I wasn't prepared to have to hunt for a parking spot and have to walk 3 or four blocks to BEGIN shooting. So we got a late start, and stopped a bit after 12.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Excellent work here, Jeff. Some of your best yet.clap.gif

Thanks for commenting Mitchell.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Thanks, Jeff. My fav #11. Would like to see her with other expressions than the same smile in all.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    adpaceadpace Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Really nice senior portraits! She is beautiful but you really did a fantastic job with these!!
  • Options
    XanderturesXandertures Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    I like 2, 8 and 11. Those poses are fantastic and you captured some real emotion. Kudos on the processing too.

If you're ever doing a lesson on portrait processing, please let me know and I'll sign up immediately!
    Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Really well done. I wish they were doing senior portraits like this when I was in high school!

I admire your choice of backgrounds/setting. I also love the variety of angles you too these from...high, low, straight on... The variety of wardrobe changes for the shoot also works well.

Great job on the post processing of these shots - you should be really pleased!
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Really nice shots and superior lighting. I've got to vote for nos. 10 and 11 as my favorites.

Great work. You should be proud.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    Thanks, Jeff. My fav #11. Would like to see her with other expressions than the same smile in all.

Thanks for having a look Neil.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    adpace wrote:
    Really nice senior portraits! She is beautiful but you really did a fantastic job with these!!
    I appreciate that Angela.

I still say having a pretty subject is like shooting with training wheels.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    I like 2, 8 and 11. Those poses are fantastic and you captured some real emotion. Kudos on the processing too.

If you're ever doing a lesson on portrait processing, please let me know and I'll sign up immediately!

Great!!! Thanks.....

Lesson for today....

A little of anything goes a long way when processing. Conservative wins 9 of 10!!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Really well done. I wish they were doing senior portraits like this when I was in high school!

They probably were!!!....but....there may have not been a ton of photographers out there willing to shoot a bunch of film at wide open aperatures. Digital makes that much less of a gamble.
    I admire your choice of backgrounds/setting. I also love the variety of angles you too these from...high, low, straight on... The variety of wardrobe changes for the shoot also works well.

I nearly choked when she said she was bringing a white shirt. However, she has been through as much grief as anyone in her time so I went with it. I think they came out nicely....especially the train station shot. The angles...some at least...were new to me. I will be using them again for sure.
    Great job on the post processing of these shots - you should be really pleased!

If she is happy....I am happy!!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Really nice shots and superior lighting. I've got to vote for nos. 10 and 11 as my favorites.

Great work. You should be proud.

Thanks, for the kind comments.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Jeff,

These are some seriously beautiful images. Mom is going to be so happy.

But, like you say above, I don't think you were very challenged - your daughter is absolutely beautiful - but you already know that!

Great job - you should be proud!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    Jeff,

These are some seriously beautiful images. Mom is going to be so happy.

But, like you say above, I don't think you were very challenged - your daughter is absolutely beautiful - but you already know that!

Great job - you should be proud!

Hey this one is beautiuful, but she is not my daughter!!!

She is however, a very close friend and also cheers with my daughter.

I am proud of her though, and am pleased with the results of our photo excursion.

Thanks for having a look Scott.
    (...and I will take this opportunity to thank you for the 100th time for the help you gave me on my blog!!!....THANKS):D
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Hey this one is beautiuful, but she is not my daughter!!!

(...and I will take this opportunity to thank you for the 100th time for the help you gave me on my blog!!!....THANKS):D
    I went back to the thread you posted of your daughter on the train tracks and, you know what, you're right. This isn't your daughter :D (I guess you would know). Anyway, that explains why she didn't look like the girl I remembered.

As for the help - nothing to it. Glad it was useful to you.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2008
    I went back to the thread you posted of your daughter on the train tracks and, you know what, you're right. This isn't your daughter :D (I guess you would know). Anyway, that explains why she didn't look like the girl I remembered.

As for the help - nothing to it. Glad it was useful to you.

Laughing.gif Thanks Doc!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited March 13, 2008
    Jeff,

Very nice work here. Good color balance with great skin tones, shallow DOF, and good poses.

I think I like #2 the best, but 10 and 11 are also very appealing. I feel like I would like to see #11 a bit closer in - she is just a little "too far away" - I prefer the proximity of #2.

I like the brick wall with the black curved area for a background - very nice.

The lighting is soft, warm and lovely, and nowhere does it shout 'added light', but the reflector has done its job very nicely.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    As always Jeff, what can i say? Can't pick favorite even Laughing.gif.

When are you coming down to teach me some lessons? wings.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Jeff, these are breathtaking.

I am in awe of your "eyes" for locations and poses. I love the brick wall --wow what a setting. And the white pillared sidewalk is the perfect framing for that outfit. I guess I don't get as freaked about white shirts as they really do light up the face, and shooting RAW makes it a bit less stressful exposure.

I am very curious to know which ones you used a reflector in (the first one I think I see the catchlights, but the others the eyes are too far away). Just curious to see if I got it right :D

I also admire the mixture of shooting perspectives...the ones with her sitting on the brick are amazing. Great texture and creative composition while leaving plenty of room for the dreaded 11x14 crop...not an easy balance to strike.

Will echo with others that 10 and 11 are my faves. But there is not one shot in this series I wouldn't be THRILLED to produce!

You blew these out of the park Jeff...enjoy the buzz!!!

Oh, and I do agree wiht others about seeing different expressions. But guess what....smiles sell, so fuhgettaboudit.clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Awesome shots!!! You keep blowing me away with your work. I love the lighting, the poses, the backgrounds, the bokeh, all of it. Wow!
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2008
    Amazing again. I absolutely love the pictures you take.
    Jaye
  • Options
    Deadeye008Deadeye008 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    Very nice work as usuall Jeff! I did my first shoot using exclusively my 85mm this past week and I realized I need to use it more as well! Love the DOF on these.thumb.gif
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thanks....I think?

Sorry about your jaw.

She does not intend to be an actress or model. These are her senior photos....as she will be graduating in May.

You're welcome.

My jaw is fine. :D

You'd mentioned her senior "portfolio," so I thought these were for modelling, so, in my best Rosanne Rosanadana voice; "Nevermind!" And I'll edit my post to the following: "I'll echo Swartzy - beautiful shots of a beautiful young lady. My favorites are 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, and 11.

Have fun!"
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Jeff,

Very nice work here. Good color balance with great skin tones, shallow DOF, and good poses.
    I apprecite the bit on skin tones. I think one of my kids fiddled with my monitor brightness. Not sure how it happened, but 5 of us do share this desktop. Anyway, it wasn't a pretty scene when I decided to recalibrate AFTER I had run these all through lightroom. My highlights and black points looked like hell.
    I think I like #2 the best, but 10 and 11 are also very appealing. I feel like I would like to see #11 a bit closer in - she is just a little "too far away" - I prefer the proximity of #2.

I like 2 and 10 as well. I think the black jeans and shirt could not have been any more perfect for that wall. THAT was coincidence. Number 11 is of course full-length rather than 3/4. I try to get a mix of those as well. And, in doing that I have to leave room for any type crop imaginable. I have several variations of 11 that could even handle 11x14. I managed to come away with many more 3/4 length shots of her than any other type. THe reason for that I guess is that she seems to show really well for that type of shot. It isn't the best cut for everyone, but worked very well for her. The bonus in that is that a 3/4 length will also show really well on a wallet sized photo. I include 80...yes eighty...of those in the package I put together for seniors.
    I like the brick wall with the black curved area for a background - very nice.

The lighting is soft, warm and lovely, and nowhere does it shout 'added light', but the reflector has done its job very nicely.

I typically shoot in the afternoon. It is just more convienient for other people. We began this session at about 9 ish AM and knocked off at noon or a little after. I was pleased with the light. The reflector worked great.....adding just enough here and there. My reflector is a $2 piece of foam core. I am thinking of getting one of those photoflex rigs with a 40 something inch disk and a stand. It would be money well spent....especially if the stand is worth a flip!

Thanks for taking the time to look at these and noting your impressions. I definately apprecite it.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    As always Jeff, what can i say? Can't pick favorite even Laughing.gif.

When are you coming down to teach me some lessons? wings.gif

Thanks Marina. My goal, when I begin a shoot, is that there will be enough "good-uns" that the client can't choose a favorite and therefore buys them all. Of course they never buy them all, but it's fun when they can't decide...if the reason is because they like them all.

Teach you lessons?....I was thinking of booking you for a session since you have issues deciding. Bring your checkbook! Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif

Seriously, I have managed somehow to gather a pile of vacation time. I have just taken 3 weeks off because they said if I didn't take it before the end of March I'd lose it. I have 5 weeks off this summer. I will for sure be in New Mexico doing mission work with teenagers for some of that. The rest of it may find me in sunny Florida. I have family in Vera Beach and Ft Lauderdale. If we don't make it that far we may have to settle for Destin. Are you near any of those spots?