Options

Dirty D300 (sensor dust)

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited March 31, 2008 in Cameras
***MOD EDIT: originally posted in Flea Market - turned into discussion***

I have a D300, grip, and 18-200VR and 10-20 Sigma lens, a couple of cards, SB 800 flash. Misc stuff, and all the boxes. Bought new in Feb.

$3K.

Comments

• Options
    NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Sell the Sigma Separately?
    HI,

would you consider selling the Sigma 10-20mm separately? Can you tell us a bit more about it, shape optically, mechanically, and in terms of finish? How old?

Best,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Its just a month old, and I'd like to keep it all as one package deal.

I've used the 10-20 twice, and no real use of the flash. And just a few weekends with the rest.

Or maybe I just need some sensor swabs, and put up with the dust. I like it, but maybe Pentax, or Oly, or Canon has a better way to keep dust off the sensor?

Right now I'm just disgusted with the whole thing.
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    D300
    [just disgusted with the whole thing.[/quote]

Doesn't the vaunted automatic dust/particle sensor cleaner worK? I can't find any objective report on if it does .
    Stan
  • Options
    ProAc_FanProAc_Fan Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2008

I've used the 10-20 twice, and no real use of the flash. And just a few weekends with the rest.

Or maybe I just need some sensor swabs, and put up with the dust. I like it, but maybe Pentax, or Oly, or Canon has a better way to keep dust off the sensor?

As a former Olympus shooter ( E-1) and now Nikon shooter( D200) I can safely say that Olympus seems to have cornered the market on clean sensors. Their SSWF works like a charm. All the others are basically worthless IMHO. I've seen test reports that say exactly the same thing too.

Mike
  • Options
    HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008

Where are you shooting that dust is such a problem? Are you turning the camera off before switching lenses? Do you own a blower bulb? I haven't had any dust trouble with my D300 (or D70 before that). ne_nau.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008
    Is this a discussion or a for sale thread? I'm happy to give you guys a new thread if you want to wax on about sensors and dust... just trying to keep it on point for the seller.

thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 17, 2008

With Doc's indulgence, I'll just add this: Cleaning a sensor is no big deal. Would you sell a new Mercedes because a bird crapped on the windshield?
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    lightyear wrote:
    [just disgusted with the whole thing.

Doesn't the vaunted automatic dust/particle sensor cleaner worK? I can't find any objective report on if it does .
    Stan[/QUOTE]

No! Stupid joke.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    With Doc's indulgence, I'll just add this: Cleaning a sensor is no big deal. Would you sell a new Mercedes because a bird crapped on the windshield?
    ne_nau.gif

NO! But if a Mercedes was a constant problem getting me from point A to point B, then yes, I'd sell it.

A camera is to capture images, and when the image is crap every time, then why keep it?
  • Options
    tkbtkb Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Would be interested in the SB-800 flash and cards
    If and when you consider breaking up the package.

tkb at citlink.net
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    NO! But if a Mercedes was a constant problem getting me from point A to point B, then yes, I'd sell it.

A camera is to capture images, and when the image is crap every time, then why keep it?

If you don't put gas in your Mercedes it won't get you from A to B. If you don't clean your camera's sensor, or take steps to keep it from getting dirty, it will return "dirty" images.

Speaking of Mercedes, don't they come with little wipers for the headlights? Maybe Nikon could offer something similar for its lenses to help get rid of greasy thumbprints? Otherwise I'm going to have sell the whole lot! lol3.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    This is going off topic, but ...

Is it really?

Why not put up some images from the camera on the camera forum? Surely it is better than selling it off because there is dust on the sensor or because it takes "bad" pictures.

The d300 isn't a cheap camera, so why not try to find out what is going bad before pronouncing that you are disgusted with it?

Sensor cleaning kits are pretty affordable and easy to do. I think they do a better job than the internal sensor cleaning gizmos.

Just my 2 euros.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    photographiliaphotographilia Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I've had my D300 almost since launch. Have yet to see a spec of dust in it, despite changing lenses fairly frequently. I have the sensor vibrate when I turn the camera off, but that's it.

Not sure why you have the problem, but hopefully a bit of perspective helps?

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    I live in Southern Utah, very dry and dusty. I like to get out and hike with it.

If I get out 3 or 4 miles and want to take a few shots, I shouldnt have to get a sensor cleaning kit out first should I?

I also think the lens is less than tight.

And when my 18-200 is out, dust can a does get its way in through the lens. Then when I zoom it back in, it pushes a lot of air right back to the sensor/mirror.

Besides, I'm having more fun with the 4x5". And digital doesn't impress me too much.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Here is one example of the 3 week I've owned this fine camera.

266915567_6hC7X-XL.jpg

Here's what I'd just as well be using, and have more fun with.

266916081_oBX4F-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Molsondog wrote:
    For the seller, such discussions do not bode well.
    Exactly, threads in this forum are first and foremost for the original poster.
    For buyers this is the place to get informed.
    Of course, and I hope you all know I go to great lengths to balance these goals. Still, this has become a lengthy discussion, and belongs in a discussion forum.

This would not be the forum a majority of people would come to do a search for information about dirty sensors, don't you agree?

It's no skin off my back. It can stay here until I get a cleanup request from the seller.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    It can stay here until I get a cleanup request from the seller.

No pun intended, I'm sure. lol3.gif
    Tim
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Can you show us some photos of this barely used gear that has had dust blown into the camera through your zoom lens?

Right now it doesn't sound like this stuff is worth $3,000.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    If you're interested in selling this set-up it would be better to give a unit price for the whole enchillada and then list teh prices ofr the items if somebody wants to buy one piece.

I have a D300 and after 8000+ shots, in very dusty environments and with changing lenses I haven't had to clean the sensor once yet. So I would say the dust removal system works OK. I also have the D3 and I have had to give the sensors a number of blows from my rocket blower.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    If you're interested in selling this set-up it would be better to give a unit price for the whole enchillada and then list teh prices ofr the items if somebody wants to buy one piece.

I have a D300 and after 8000+ shots, in very dusty environments and with changing lenses I haven't had to clean the sensor once yet. So I would say the dust removal system works OK. I also have the D3 and I have had to give the sensors a number of blows from my rocket blower.

You're in Florida! What dust?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Mitchell wrote:
    Can you show us some photos of this barely used gear that has had dust blown into the camera through your zoom lens?

Right now it doesn't sound like this stuff is worth $3,000.

Are you mocking me?

Have you checked the air that comes from a zoom lens?
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    Are you mocking me?

Have you checked the air that comes from a zoom lens?

No, not mocking you. Just a serious question and a reasonable request for some photos of the gear you are trying to sell.

I don't own the 18-200mm lens. None of my Nikkor zooms (28-70mm, 70-200mm, and 12-24mm) have any air that comes out of the lens during normal use. I'm wondering how your zoom blows air through the lens and into the camera.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2008
    I have a D300, grip, and 18-200VR and 10-20 Sigma lens, a couple of cards, SB 800 flash. Misc stuff, and all the boxes. Bought new in Feb.

$3K.

for anyone interested.

me and this seller live in the same town, (but we have never met.)
    so if needed i would be willing to do a hands on inspection for any potential buyers that would like some reasurances on this equipment.......

(just a thought to help you sell this stuff..)
    PM me via dgrin if needed....
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    Here is the lens zoomed out. Thats a lot of space in there. Hold it up to your ear or eye, you'll see. (feel)
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2008
    The 300
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    I think taking a picture with your sensor/mirror open like that... is just saying hi to more dust. ne_nau.gif

Maybe you got a defective D300?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    I think taking a picture with your sensor open like that... is just saying hi to more dust. ne_nau.gif
    The sensor is not anywhere near "open". Mirror is down and curtain is closed when you simply remove your lens.
    Erik

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited March 18, 2008
    Maybe you got a defective D300?

Possibly, but the pic he posted looks like plain old dust on the sensor. Sometimes, new cameras are shipped with dust "pre-installed," (for your convenience, of course). I would either ship it back to Nikon for a replacement or give it a good cleaning with the Copperhill wet method, which I believe is the best for actually getting dust out of the camera rather than just pushing it around.
  • Options
    Phil_LPhil_L Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2008
    That is a killer camera!

Somebody grab it and clean the sensor, dammit!
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2008
    I ordered the Copperhill stuff, and the new E2 solution and will try that first, then see how pics with a high f turn out. But I would hate to sell it the way it is. If I have to I'll send it in to Nikon. Its just weird I have not had this problem on any digital cameras I've taken to Baja and rode 100's of miles of dusty dirt roads with, and no specs on my Pics.?