Options

Carbonite font changed?

2»

Comments

• Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    cdonovan wrote:
    Sorry I assumed that it was the theme, as carbonite theme is the only one that messes up. I'm on XP browsing with firefox, IE7 and flock and see the same cramped up stly each time. I get the same thing from out our worn out work computers too!!

The problem is triggerred by the CSS in the theme. We could split hairs all day long about whether it's a local problem or not. The fact is that lots of people with default systems (they never messed with their fonts) get a crummy font with this theme.

I wish Smugmug would fix the theme so that it gives the desired font on all default Windows computers.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I wish Smugmug would fix the theme so that it gives the desired font on all default Windows computers.
    Your wish is my command. Stay tuned.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    jfriend wrote:

Andy wrote:
    Your wish is my command!

I modified the theme and it should be all better now.

Please let me know?

http://andytheme.smugmug.com/gallery/4552903_jx8jj?f=45#268272826
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    Not that it matters since Andy is unsucking the font as we speak, but as I was trying to test Andy's fix, I got to thinking. Why the heck don't I have Myriad Pro installed on any of my windows machines? It isn't a free font, just the regular version costs $35 and the whole set costs like $250. Why does everyone and their mom have it but I don't.

Then it occurred to me, duh, the people I'm chatting with are all photographers. Photographers generally like to have Photoshop. Myriad pro gets installed with photoshop. I do all my photo stuff on the mac so I don't have myriad pro on any of my windows devices. So my guess is that something has gone haywire with Adobe's installation of, at least, Myriad Pro. I'm so hoping that the other fonts that come with PhotoShop and CS, CS2, and CS3 aren't similarly jacked.

As I mentioned in other threads, if you uninstall the font and reinstall it, other problems related to it went away. I'm curious to know if that is the case here, so if someone feels like testing it out, that'd be cool. The problem is that you won't see myriad pro on carbonite anymore. I can set up a page on my own server if you'd like where you can do a before and after comparison. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll get on it. Don't reinstall the font until after you've looked at the test bed and maybe nabbed a screen grab though.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Not that it matters since Andy is unsucking the font as we speak, but as I was trying to test Andy's fix, I got to thinking. Why the heck don't I have Myriad Pro installed on any of my windows machines? It isn't a free font, just the regular version costs $35 and the whole set costs like $250. Why does everyone and their mom have it but I don't.

Then it occurred to me, duh, the people I'm chatting with are all photographers. Photographers generally like to have Photoshop. Myriad pro gets installed with photoshop. I do all my photo stuff on the mac so I don't have myriad pro on any of my windows devices. So my guess is that something has gone haywire with Adobe's installation of, at least, Myriad Pro. I'm so hoping that the other fonts that come with PhotoShop and CS, CS2, and CS3 aren't similarly jacked.

As I mentioned in other threads, if you uninstall the font and reinstall it, other problems related to it went away. I'm curious to know if that is the case here, so if someone feels like testing it out, that'd be cool. The problem is that you won't see myriad pro on carbonite anymore. I can set up a page on my own server if you'd like where you can do a before and after comparison. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll get on it. Don't reinstall the font until after you've looked at the test bed and maybe nabbed a screen grab though.

Hmmm. I have CS3 and Lightroom on my Windows computer, but was having the Myriad Pro problems. It does, however, seem like a good decision for the primary font choice to be one that most people have on their system (at least on the same platform). That way, the photographer setting up their galleries is most likely to be seeing the same thing that the majority of their viewers will be seeing.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    Hmmm. I have CS3 and Lightroom on my Windows computer, but was having the Myriad Pro problems. It does, however, seem like a good decision for the primary font choice to be one that most people have on their system (at least on the same platform). That way, the photographer setting up their galleries is most likely to be seeing the same thing that the majority of their viewers will be seeing.
    That's why you've got myriad pro most likely. The dreams of typography on the web and the reality are generally at odds, unfortunately. Considering that the text on a SmugMug site is generally secondary content, I think we've got a bit more leeway with font choices. This is particularly true with themes IMO. Our base layout fonts should try to cater to everyone as much as they can, I'll agree with you there.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    thanks Andy fer fixing it.

how many wishes do we have left?:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I modified the theme and it should be all better now.

Please let me know?

http://andytheme.smugmug.com/gallery/4552903_jx8jj?f=45#268272826

Thanks Andy. This is what your page looks like for me. Gone are the squished and overlapping letters, though the font size is a bit small. Is this how it looks for you and how you think it should look?

274042620_DFovb-O.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular