Options

My version of the "DSLR vs P&S" debate

2»

Comments

• Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    I initially came to DGrin to justify a DSLR purchase, and quickly found that for what I shoot, a good P&S was a better solution.

I may buy a DSLR later as a toy to play with, but for now, the S5IS has done a great job, and I've learned to better control the results from my little Olympus S600 as well.

They certainly each have their place.
  • Options
    rebelxtnewbierebelxtnewbie Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I will be curious to see how much feedback you get here. I think most of the people on this forum have long ago set aside their point and shoot, and have not looked back.

I use both. My DSLR is nice, and I have nice glass but it's big, bulky (70-200 2.8 IS is definately not pocketable :D ) and heavy and a pain to carry everything around. I take them out when I go on trips and know I want the best quality pics and the most creative control. But I carry my old Canon S70 around all the time. Lots of shots don't need to be high quality. Just some random pics of friends out to dinner, bar etc.
    Lenses: A Never Ending Revolving Door of stuff

Equipment ~ $5K, Income from pictures ~ $0K, Memories ~ Priceless
  • Options
    OzimaxOzimax Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2008
    Interesting thread. I have used DSLRs for a number of years and am a semi pro photographer (eg I get paid for photographs, but I usually give the proceeds away...another story).

At present I shoot a 30D with 70-200 F2.8 and 10-22. These are the focal lengths I use the most. I was considering purchasing a 24-105 IS for the times I need an in between focal length, but instead I purchased, earlier this week, a Canon G9.

I am heading off to the USA later this month. I think I have 20+ flights in just over two weeks, and with the thought of lugging my DSLR gear through all those security checks again (this will be USA trip #12), I opted for the G9.

I spent a day shooting yesterday with the G9 and am not disappointed with it. The image quality at IOS 80 and in good light is sensational. I am planning on spending a day in Yosemite NP early in May, so the G9 will get a real workout then.

Ozi.
  • Options
    rgoodwinrgoodwin Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 17, 2008
    I'm just so excited that I got some great discussion going on what I feared would be a "dead" topic! (And some camera recommendations to boot!)

I just got back from a trip and my wife remarked that she "tried to use the camera" (the D40) to capture some deer behind her house. That's a landmark event, as she's too scared to even touch the P&S (go figure....). I tested the water by saying "if we had a new lens, you could have zoomed in like you wanted.." and she didn't flinch.

I see a lot of money disappearing in the next few months....
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    clap.gifthumb Now that you've got her infected with the photo bug future purchases will be much easier to justify. :Dmwink.gif
  • Options
    rgoodwinrgoodwin Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2008
    clap.gifthumb Now that you've got her infected with the photo bug future purchases will be much easier to justify. :Dmwink.gif

I'm out again on a trip next week and I just can't let myself go w/ same old Casio (and the DSLR is inappropriate for this business trip). I am fast flipping betwixt a Panasonic TZ5 (for the 10x zoom and movie modes, including HD (and some tricky focusing issues)) and the G9 for sheer quality but only 6x.. Sigh!
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    rgoodwin wrote:
    I'm out again on a trip next week and I just can't let myself go w/ same old Casio (and the DSLR is inappropriate for this business trip). I am fast flipping betwixt a Panasonic TZ5 (for the 10x zoom and movie modes, including HD (and some tricky focusing issues)) and the G9 for sheer quality but only 6x.. Sigh!

Go or the Canon. Can't go wrong with a Canon!
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2008
    bring your DSLR
    rgoodwin wrote:

I don't think that is impossible. I have been bring it everywhere I go including 90% of the trip are crossing the border business to Asia, Europe and America.
    If the schedule is tight, just get a walk-about lens such as the Sigma 18 -200 for my 300D or the 24 - 104 for the 5D. Don't miss the photo opportunity.

Understand that it is not easy to bring along the DSLR in the brief case, I usually separate the lens and the body so that the profile of the camera is much lower. It can be easily put in the carry-on shoulder bag or mobile office trolley.

A pocket phone camera such as the SonyErisson 700i is very handy. I like to use it to take the photo of food in the restaurant or the faces from the party.

Just wake up early and walk around the hotel, I usually find some interesting subjects.

this photo was taken at 6am before the breakfast meeting start. Not necessary get it everytime but just don't miss it if the opportunity just come thru.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    I just posted a quick review of the S600 that I picked up yesterday. But I've seen the photos from it and from my extremely niche market viewpoint ("professional" fine art). It creates very usable images. While it doesn't have the instant response of my DSLR it's a huge improvement over my old Canon a 75, which was my basis for thoughts on point-and-shoot cameras.

The image size and sharpness is easily enough for me to go to 16 x 20 and possibly larger. For the bulk of my work, where the subject is stationary. Being an object building or landscape, the small lag is not an issue. I heard the noise argument brought up earlier and the way to fix this is to only shoot with low ISO settings. The main advantage of a larger sensor is a sharper signal so when it is increased. To create a high ISO image. There is less distortion, a.k.a. noise. Just keep the point-and-shoot at 100 or 200 iso and you should be fine. Until I heal up, this camera will be a great option, and even after will complement my SLR's, because I will always have it on me