Options

Just got a 10,000 $$$ Grant help

ExpressionsByAprilExpressionsByApril Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited May 21, 2008 in The Big Picture
Hi, i am April. i just got a $10,000 grant and need to know what all would be neat and a must to have for a photography business. I have been a hobbyist for years and done a few people shoots (portraits) and have 2 wedding coming up. I have also had a few classes in photography.

If you had $10,000 to start a business what would you buy?

I already have 2 sets of umbrella lights and a backdrop stand, a blue backdrop and a mirror.

Please give me some ideas from printers, to cameras even I think i want a Nikon d300 or a canon rebel XTI. What do u suggest?

What props do I need?

What color backdrops?

What kind of strobes or soft boxes?

I need help, i have until thrusday to come up with everything I want and need.

Also I am so happy. I am from Georgia and got the grant through the state of Georgia. I feel like i won on a lottery ticket. LOL

This is my chance to really do something besides go to college which I do plan on finishing and getting my psych dregree.

Thanks for helping me in advance.

April:lust

Comments

• Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Do you need to pay back this money? headscratch.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2008
    Do you need to pay back this money? headscratch.gif

No I do NOT have to pay the money back. :)
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Regardless if you go canon or nikon, get two cameras.

Next stop is getting pro grade glass, but you need to tell us what you are going to be doing. It seems you are going for a portrait studio.

As a side note, this isn't something to just jump into. Someone who had experience would know themselves what what was needed, or at least have it narrowed down. I know this comes off as being rude, but this doesn't seem all that planned out, at least that's the impression I got reading your post.

A business plan is a must.
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    jonh68 wrote:
    A business plan is a must.
    If you get ANYTHING out of this forum. PLEASE get that comment. Allot of potentially successful businesses have gone under because they didn't have a solid business plan in place. Business plans don't have to be elaborate, but if they aren't in place or you don't follow them.. You'll end up throwing money into your business and it will be gone before you know it.

While 10k is a nice chunk of money. I could literally spend 10k at B&H and only have two things in my shopping cart. So even though there may be stars in your eyes. Be frugal when buying gear. E-Bay & craigslist can also be your friend in things like this.

On a total side note:
    I am a bit curious how you managed to convince a grant board that for 10k if your majoring in Psych. You must be pretty convincingmwink.gif

Onto purchases :D
    As John said, backup bodies is vital if you want to have a professional business. No matter how new and bad donkey a camera is. It can still break. Negative word of mouth can travel much faster than positive if you drop the ball w/ clients.

Photography is all about light. Lighting (although expensive) will always give you the most bang for the buck. What lights you buy depend on what kind of shooting you are going to do. Essentially you will shoot either studio or location. What you pick will drive what recommendations we give you.

Glass will always be your best purchase (IMO). You can get a lower level body and superior glass and almost always take better shots than w/ a superior body and cheapo glass. Figure out if your gonna go Nikon or Canon (or the other guys) then we can make recommendations.

So tell us what kind of shooting your going to do.
    Is it location or studio?
    What line of gear are you going to use?

You can be a pro photog and not have allot of knowledge about shooting. But if you really want to take your work to the next level and get the clients that are willing to pay good money. You need to really learn this craft and blow the competition out of the water deal.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    $10K, free, no strings attached, and you didn't even have to submit a business plan or proposal?!?!!! Where do I sign up?!!!
    headscratch.gif

Jealousy and curiosity about mysterious sources of free money aside, have you thought about gear other than cameras? You clearly have sparkles in your eyes for the "toys" of the trade, how about a good computer? You'll need plenty of speed and memory to keep up with the loads of frames from commercial shooting.

Photoshop CS3 or similar pro level software to process.

How about a website? You savvy enough to make one yourself?
    if not, web designer fees
    then, website hosting fees
    photo storage/viewing (at least something like a SmugMug Pro account)

business cards
    other advertising

And like Slo already said, you could spend $10k at B&H in a split second. Think about if you are in this for the essentially free tools you are getting, or if you really want to translate these funds into a viable business.

:lurk
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    Yes yes My case worker does a business plan with me. That is a must, i just forgot to mention it here. Sorry. I will post what i found on the interenet to purchase today sometime. It is pretty straight forward list.

It starts off with a Nikon 300 package for $3.650 dollars but I will give details later. I have to get ready to go to the doctor as I am having breathing problems.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Register your business and brand first

this is what i am thinking to do.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    <---Takes down notes for himself, also..

SloYeRoll is right about being frugal with shopping on gear. Try to get the best bang for the buck! Getting used gear, can sometimes, be a lot better than buying brand spanking new ones.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    i wouldnt be surprise if this grant were true......

america the beautiful, its a complete trip to the sane mind

makes me sick. good luck, & enjoy mine and everybodys tax money.....

I hate i even asked for help on these boards. Nevermnind and would u rather me get off social security ssi and not waste tax money and get a grant for 10,000 to help me work?????????????

Atleast i am trying with bi polar and a fractured back!

I will never post here again.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    I hate i even asked for help on these boards. Nevermnind and would u rather me get off social security ssi and not waste tax money and get a grant for 10,000 to help me work?????????????

I believe the problem is most of us started with bare minimum and saved for things as we went. It seems to me you don't have a plan, clientel, or an idea of watch you need. You are getting this equipment with no idea of what to do with it. It takes years for someone to make decent money as a photographer and it's much more than having equipment.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    picture
    For about 6 years now it has been my dream to become a photographer. I have taken many classes online and had a few lessons from other photographers. I have done about 10 shoots portrait wise and I have 2 wededings planned to do next month and this is how i am going to learn.. I told my clients up front that I am new at thkis and have even gave a free shoot for them to see my work and after that they hired me for their wedding. I am an ex emt and I am going to college online for a BA in psych and when I heard i could possibly get off SSI social securiity and get a grant to start a bussiness It was my blessing. It has taken years for me to get on the right meds so that I could be mentally normal amnd i have had to go through so much therapy. Please know that if i do start making money I will give some back to the community. I heard of this place that you volunter your photography services to needy cancer and sick kids and do shoots for them and provide pictures for them free. I want to get good enough so i can do this.

Please kinow this is my dream and all i wanted was some help. Just ideas that I could pair with my ideas.

I am going to put effort 100% into this business and learn all I can, we all have to start somewhere right?

Please i want to stay here and be all yours online friend. Its been a long time coming so that I could understand and communiate good with people with the bi polior I was so withdrawn. I am now a happy 35 yr old lady who just wants to fullfill a dream.

here is a picture i did for one of my clients whom i am doing her wedding. I know I could have focused on the eyes a little bit better but my client liked the photo. Plus this was taken with just a canon rebel 300d.

I am sorry I first should have told a little more about myself then maybe I would not have thought the comments were rude that have been wrote.

zzzz%20009bbbbb.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008

I will never post here again.
    Please don't.

The internet is full of all types. Some say things that they'd NEVER EVER say face to face to you.

Congrats and good luck to you!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I would set aside some of this money to take some classes or workshops. If you want to do this full time you need to get yourself on a steeper learning curve than many of us.

From the photo you posted - you need to understand depth of field. In the shot you posted you F-stop is incorrect to get all of the girl in focus. Notice her jacket is very sharp around her chest but detail diminishes as you go further out.

This is very important to understand so you can be successfull. There are colleges and other photographers in your area that offer classes. They cost money but they are worth it.

I have no problem with you getting a grant as long as you make the most of it. I know other people that have benefited from grants and wouldn't mind getting one myself.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    more
    Thankis Andy, I know some people have their own opinions and they are most entitled to them. i will stay here. Oh and here is my list of stuff I have decided on for my studio. I have done a lot of research and a lot of talking to photographers.

Either a Canon 40d or a Nikon d300 with the works pqackage from digicombos

radio trigger reciever

250 watt strobes

2 softbox

A new laptop with huge hd and memory

Prop pier combo set

3 way baby poser

icorrect edit portrait and lab pri software with use in adobe cs

white 10x20 muslim

black 10x20 muslim

grey 10x20 muslim

posing stool

posing table

prop white collum

10x20 christmas muslim

a whikte garden footbridge

a green with vicotian looking 10x20 muslim

I hope I have made some good choice. I have a huge backdrop stand and a bluish greyish brownish muslim 10x20, a plexiglass mirror and some little props.

All this came to around $7500.00 I left room in budject for shipping expenses with maybe some left over just in case they will pay for business cards and advertising but from what i was told my case worker said only inventory and business plan guiden ce and a business license. Also he will send me to business plan classes.

Thanks everyone

April
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    f spot
    Yes I am looking into some more classes. Thanks

Also if u look at this picture u will notice a hard shadow, would a softbox help and would also moving my subject away from the backdrop a little reduce the shadows?

zzzz%20133ccccc.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    would a softbox help and would also moving my subject away from the backdrop a little reduce the shadows?
    Yes. Or an umbrella.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    For about 6 years now it has been my dream to become a photographer. I have taken many classes online and had a few lessons from other photographers. I have done about 10 shoots portrait wise and I have 2 wededings planned to do next month and this is how i am going to learn.

Good luck and you will find tons of info on this site.
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2008
    it appears im one big jerk, based on your recent posts i can see you have the right attitude and thing arnt as they appeared to me....i did what i could in cleaning up my posts...this thread should not be tanted with politics and my comments...shame on me...

Aaron, I do not think u are a jerk hun. I still would like to be your friend. At first I did not want to get into details but maybe I should have so people would understand. Thanks so much for apologizing. That shows u are a good person.

Thanks
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Since many people have already given you several good pieces of advice... I will only mention something VERY IMPORTANT.

order your GEAR from RELIABLE STORES... such as www.BHPhotovideo.com, www.adorama.com, www.keh.com, ETC.

There is A LOT of scam/bait & switch artists out there... so before you buy anything, make sure you buy from these stores or post links here! or research the stores at www.resellerratings.com :D
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Since many people have already given you several good pieces of advice... I will only mention something VERY IMPORTANT.

order your GEAR from RELIABLE STORES... such as www.BHPhotovideo.com, www.adorama.com, www.keh.com, ETC.

There is A LOT of scam/bait & switch artists out there... so before you buy anything, make sure you buy from these stores or post links here! or research the stores at www.resellerratings.com :D

Yes! Very important!

Looking at that digicombo site, those combos are all including cheap equipment and lenses...
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I have a number of thoughts on this, but don't have the time to organize all them for you right now.

BUT, I recommend you don't spend a PENNY right away. Separate the money into a separate account. Do NOT mix photo business / grant money, and your personal money.

MAKE a plan!!! Put it in writing. prioritize expenditures.

Don't spent it all.

Make a written plan.

Oh yeah, before I forget make a plan. :D

I wish all the best in this endeavor, and this is a great group of people. They will help you immensely.

Sam
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    would a softbox help and would also moving my subject away from the backdrop a little reduce the shadows?

both would help. another thing (obvious, perhaps) if the subject were looking toward the camera, maybe smiling.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    both would help. another thing (obvious, perhaps) if the subject were looking toward the camera, maybe smiling.

Do you know the term " mommy pictures" pictures like the one I did without the child looking at the camera have gotten really popular. There called mommy pictures. But some old timers do not know this. Not calling u old but u look like you beenin this a while.

Here is one of her looking in the camera.

zzzz%20009bbbbb.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Sorry Sam but the grant money has to be spent in 30 days or I lose it.

I wish all the best in this endeavor, and this is a great group of people. They will help you immensely.

Sam[/quote]
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Well then stop talking and tell us what line of camera your gonna go w/ so we can start spending your money ;)
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Yes I am looking into some more classes. Thanks

Also if u look at this picture u will notice a hard shadow, would a softbox help and would also moving my subject away from the backdrop a little reduce the shadows?

zzzz%20133ccccc.jpg

this one doesn't look like the subject is looking away in some artistic way; it just looks like she is distracted.

one other thing (like you have not gotten enough advice!) I think what really makes pro photos look like pro photos is hair lights. Look into that.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thankis Andy, I know some people have their own opinions and they are most entitled to them. i will stay here. Oh and here is my list of stuff I have decided on for my studio. I have done a lot of research and a lot of talking to photographers.

Either a Canon 40d or a Nikon d300 with the works pqackage from digicombos.............do not forget to get the best flash gun you can afford with this gran for doing weddings and out portraits.....

radio trigger reciever....there are alot on ebay very inexpensive

250 watt strobes......look into ALIEN BEES and no matter what get at least 3 of what ever you decide to get.......I would suggest the AB800 to start with....

2 softbox.....look at amvona.com or BROLLEY BOXES from Paul C Buff....the maker of the ALIEN BEES AND WHITE LIGHTNING STUDIO STROBES I would prefer a Brollybox over a softbox for a couple of reasons....1- I like the octogon shaped catrch lights better and 2- quik and easy set up

A new laptop with huge hd and memory

Prop pier combo set...have no idea what this is????

3 way baby poser.....look at pro studio supply . com or ebay

icorrect edit portrait and lab pri software with use in adobe cs

white 10x20 muslim.....check out amvona.com very in expensive

black 10x20 muslim........ same as above

grey 10x20 muslim.....not needed as all you have to do is light the black a little stronger and it will turn grey...............

posing stool........do google search and see if any specials come up.....a month or so I stumbled upon a special for both the table and stool for just under $100.00

posing table..........see above

prop white collum....personally would wait and use saved money toward more camera equipment or just better equipment.

10x20 christmas muslim.....think I would wait....

a whikte garden footbridge....again I would wait until You have photo income.

a green with vicotian looking 10x20 muslim.....again I would wait

I hope I have made some good choice. I have a huge backdrop stand and a bluish greyish brownish muslim 10x20, a plexiglass mirror and some little props.

All this came to around $7500.00 I left room in budject for shipping expenses with maybe some left over just in case they will pay for business cards and advertising but from what i was told my case worker said only inventory and business plan guiden ce and a business license. Also he will send me to business plan classes.

Thanks everyone

April

Normally I would suggest that you make your solid colored background....however if you look back into your post I quoted you will see suggestions that I am making for you and to save you money so you can get more and better equipment.
    Backgrounds: make sure they are machine washable if possible...scenics will not be washable at all be cause most are hand painted.....

A word of warning......a lot of times local photogs that see you will be a competitor will tell you to purchase a lot of stuff you do not need just to try to stop your business before it gets started........not all are this way but a lot are.....just human nature to protect ones turf.......

it is very late I will return later today to give you reasons for not buying all those backdrops.....oh heck.....there is a frame that will attach to the background light stand and hold colored theatrical gels to light the black muslin and turn it dang near any color you want....a mix of green and red for X-MAS....and so on.....just before x-mas get a fully decorated tree to place in front of the background and you ahve your x-mas scene......

Again I say make the purchase of camera (2 identical bodies, especially if you are going to shoot weddings.....gotta have a back up body).....1 nice wide angle zoom (17-50 f2.8) and a longer zoom 70-200 f2.8.......and a good tripod ( i suggest a giottos tripod, inexpensive but a great pod and very sturdy..will suggest model later.

give you some time to digest and will add more later after I sleep a bit.:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    If u only knew how movable and fast that baby was, i promise i was lucky to get the two shots i got of him even if he was looking in a weird way. I can all ready tell i do not like taking pictures of 9 month old cranky babies that like to crawl right when u sit them down.

I think i am gonna buy the Canon 5d. What you all think? Good Choice.

Oh Oh oh I had an interesting day. I got a phone call 2 days ago from a local photographer that wants to teach me in return for some hand help. I spent the day at his studio today and it was a blast. I learned so much. He is even going to go probono on my frist wedding with me so he can teach me. I do have to add i have been talking on the phone and in email with this photographer for months now and just out of the blue he called and offered to talk to me today and for me to hang out. He even invited me to help with a cancer relay for life shoot at our local high school friday night. I think this is awsome. i am excited.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    The gel holder I mentioned above kept bugging me becaused when I bought my 2 they were called "Z" frames......now they are IMAPCT frames, ckik on the word imapct to be taken to bh photo for more info.....if you decide to go this way for backgrounds you should have 2 of these .....one for each back light.

Good Night
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I think i am gonna buy the Canon 5d. What you all think? Good Choice.

Oh Oh oh I had an interesting day. I got a phone call 2 days ago from a local photographer that wants to teach me in return for some hand help. I spent the day at his studio today and it was a blast. I learned so much. He is even going to go probono on my frist wedding with me so he can teach me. I do have to add i have been talking on the phone and in email with this photographer for months now and just out of the blue he called and offered to talk to me today and for me to hang out. He even invited me to help with a cancer relay for life shoot at our local high school friday night. I think this is awsome. i am excited.

5D is an excellent choice! But remember to buy it from a very reputable source! The 5D is a total beast of a camera, I am sure you will love it! that's what I am hoping to upgrade to in the future!

And many good words on the local photographer who called and is willing to help you out!

I find that very worrying. that they put a timeline on when you need to spend the money by.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com