Options

What camera bag do you guys use?

ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
edited August 7, 2008 in Accessories
I've maxed out my bag. If I get one more thing, I won't have anywhere to put it. I've got a D40 body, 18-55, 55-200, 70-300 and an SB-600. So, post up pics of your bag. I'm guessing I'm going to have to go to a backpack because I don't think I can get an over the shoulder any bigger than this.

514PTJH36CL__SS500_.jpg

71fd7220eca0621014bd8010_L.jpg
Come see my Photos at:
http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro

Comments

• Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Maybe you're looking for this: http://www.cambags.com/
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    I've maxed out my bag. If I get one more thing, I won't have anywhere to put it. I've got a D40 body, 18-55, 55-200, 70-300 and an SB-600. So, post up pics of your bag. I'm guessing I'm going to have to go to a backpack because I don't think I can get an over the shoulder any bigger than this.

Wait, you are using a Canon bag for Nikon gear? eek7.gif

Anyway, yes you can get larger bags in that style. Check out bags for video cameras - for pro/semi-pro video cameras. The ones I have are huge.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have multiple camera bags. Depending on what i'm planning to do - i have a bag for the purpose, that holds the gear I neeed to bring.l I have a LowePro SlingShot 300AW that holds everything (for now) that I take when I want to take it all, but that is very rare.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Ha. You use the singular form! Funny! rolleyes1.gif

Over at FM there's a running joke about bags. There is an informal bag-a-holics support group (in which we simply all enable one another).

Currently I have four. A Lowepro OffTrail2, Slingshot200, Tamrac Expedition 7, and ThinkTank modular belt system. Each gets used depending upon where I'm going & what I'm doing.

The OffTrail2 is nice for when i'm traveling light such as amusement parks--it's enough space for my walk-around setup & easy to shift for rides.

The Slingshot is a good 2-3 lens bag for hikes & events. It's my most-used one right now. Enough room for my basic small event setup.

The Tamrac is the kitchen sink solution. It's big enough to drag just about everything (have to see how all my new MF gear fits though). I've used this to transport a superset of gear on a driving trip, which I'll pick a smaller daily kit & transfer to my SS200. Works when there's enough space to drag both bags.

The ThinkTank is my newest and becoming my favorite. I only have the belt, harness, and two lens changer bags so far, but it's working really well for events. Just bring the camera, two lenses, an extra battery & card. My HD80 pouch will mount to the belt as well. Really makes quick on-the-fly lens changes easy.

I like my shoulders too much to use that kind of bag any more.

It doesn't really matter how big a bag you get, sooner or later the gear collection will outgrow it. I stopped trying to find bags big enough to drag all my camera gear with me & instead choose bags for the use I intend to put them to.
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Ha. You use the singular form! Funny! rolleyes1.gif

Over at FM there's a running joke about bags. There is an informal bag-a-holics support group (in which we simply all enable one another).

Currently I have four. A Lowepro OffTrail2, Slingshot200, Tamrac Expedition 7, and ThinkTank modular belt system. Each gets used depending upon where I'm going & what I'm doing.

The OffTrail2 is nice for when i'm traveling light such as amusement parks--it's enough space for my walk-around setup & easy to shift for rides.

The Slingshot is a good 2-3 lens bag for hikes & events. It's my most-used one right now. Enough room for my basic small event setup.

The Tamrac is the kitchen sink solution. It's big enough to drag just about everything (have to see how all my new MF gear fits though). I've used this to transport a superset of gear on a driving trip, which I'll pick a smaller daily kit & transfer to my SS200. Works when there's enough space to drag both bags.

The ThinkTank is my newest and becoming my favorite. I only have the belt, harness, and two lens changer bags so far, but it's working really well for events. Just bring the camera, two lenses, an extra battery & card. My HD80 pouch will mount to the belt as well. Really makes quick on-the-fly lens changes easy.

I like my shoulders too much to use that kind of bag any more.

It doesn't really matter how big a bag you get, sooner or later the gear collection will outgrow it. I stopped trying to find bags big enough to drag all my camera gear with me & instead choose bags for the use I intend to put them to.

Excellent info thumb.gif I didn't think of just getting several bags. Thanks for all of your input.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I didn't.... know we had a camera bag'o'holics here..eek7.gif

Sign me up!!

I need to buy another camera bag myself! My current bag holds a decent amount.. but I can't fit the 24-70 and the 70-200 in the bag. I load my wide angle, external flash, and prime in there, but the other two would have to be stashed in the top compartment which could be bad if they get knocked around alot.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:

Yes, we got the camera and were leaving to go on a mini vacation the next day. I had to get a bag so we could take it with us. I went to all the electronic stores in town and I didn't find any that were very big other than the canon. So, I had to get it. It bothered me at first, but really, does it matter? It's just soemthing to giggle at I guess. I'm thinking I'm going to add this bag to my arsenal:

512BG2GdnTcL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:

Lowe Pro and TamRac make shoulder bags so large that you'd need a couple of SHERPAS to haul them around.....or a back surgeon on retainer:D

I have a self made belt system consisting of 2 LowePro toploader 75AW's on a military pistol belt with the military pistol belt suspenders....great for carrying both my KM bodies with lenses attached....I also have a LowePro PhotoTrekker AW back pack......carries damng near everything I own plus some clothes if I need too and a couple of smaller bags that I really ahve no use for...they are great for a single body and short lens or a P/S system......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:

IMHO shoulder bags and backpacks are different genres for different applications. I used to shoot news & sports and a backpack would never have done the trick. My personal fav is the venerable Domke F2. I used to pack two 35mm SLRs with motors plus half a dozen lenses, 20+ rolls of film, a Vivitar 283 and a stack of other doodads. The F1x is actually just a little longer.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Crumpler. I cannot get over the quality of manufacture. The torture i have put mine through & to this day not one single amount of wear anywhere on it.
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I have the same bag. Currently holds Rebel XT, Sigma 70-300, Canon 480ex flash (or whatever the number). Soon to hold the 40D clap.gif
    Erbeman wrote:
    I've maxed out my bag.
    514PTJH36CL__SS500_.jpg
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I meticulously planned my camera body and lens purchases; I have no regrets. However, I basically sucked at camera bags. After selling and giving away a few, I’m now at SIX bags. I was content with one shoulder bag and one backpack until my collection starting multiplying and before I knew it I started hording camera bags to keep up with my gear.

Which ones do I use? Unfortunately, I use all of them for different reasons and it basically depend on the photography situation. Also, I find that I rarely take all of my gear with me because I’ll only use certain lenses depending on the situation and after all, it’s just gets too heavy. Since picking up my IR mod’ed body, things have been a bit more difficult since I want to carry both of them with me for most occasions.

* Crumpler Schrinkle is the one I use for any serious outings, e.g. dgrin shootouts, meetups with other photographers, etc. I have stepped on it, dropped it, abused it, etc. and it stills looks as good as new. I was thinking about going the next size up, but then realized that it’s already very big for my body size (5 ft on a good day when measured in the morning). This is my bag if I’m only doing photography. I LOVE crumpler! iloveyou.gif

* Tamac backpack like this one. I use this for times when I only will be one body with my 70-200 attached and a two lenses like the times when I’m shooting ice hockey since I won’t be shooting IR.

* Crumpler 5 million dollar bag – For light events (a birthday, etc) with one body, and up to three short lenses.

* Domke F2 – for urban shooting with two bodies for times where I’ll be constantly pulling out and putting away the camera. Gear in a backpack takes more effort to pull out than in a shoulder bag and I consider shoulder bags good for walking.

* Jill-E medium bag – sigh. My latest impulse buy. It’s a camera bag hidden inside a female purse; I can fit all of my regular purse contents + camera gear! I bought it because I can easy fit my two bodies + lots of stuff including my 70-200! It’s basically a larger Domke F2 hidden inside a leather purse, but you can’t tell it’s a camera bag!

* Zero Halliburton Case – Good for airplanes, general travel and storage. I got this one used (and it’s dented!), but the inside is just solid. I can kick it and I think my foot would be injured before my cameras and lenses.

I need to join camera bag anonymous. mwink.gif
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    I have two, both backpacks. Main travel is the LowePro Rover II AW. It's very handy for outings. Camera and lenses go in the bottom, water/clothing/food in the top. Comfortable. The inner divider that separates the top from the bottom compartments is removeable if really long glass needs to fit.

If I need to bring more stuff and the laptop, I have a CompuTrekker AW. Less comfortable but holds more and better. Here's a look inside before I went to VIR last year. The front flap has pockets inside for flat stuff (batteries, memory cards, etc) while the large outer pocket is better for chargers and other accessories. Both bags have capacity for holding a tripod outside.

134241981_V8vsa-L.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Dear oh dear... I got bitten by two bags today, but didn't buy:

Pro Roller

and Boda Dry

I have lugged around everything in a Lowe Pro Computrekker AW, which is a great backpack, but huge and I fear long-term spinal damage from the laptop plus all that glass, often slung over just one shoulder. It makes sense, with the upcoming travel, to get them off my back.

I love my Tenba Medium Response (in all black) for when a shoulder bag is appropriate. All in all, most satisfying bag ever.
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    ... I'm thinking I'm going to add this bag to my arsenal:

I've had that bag for about a year now. I by moving around the dividers, I can actually fit a Canon 70-200 f2.8 or Sigma Bigma in it along with a two "normal lenses"--but it get's tight. I'm not crazy that you can't keep a lens on the body and still fit it in the top. Overall, it works, but I do look with envy at some of the Lowepro (or however they are spelled...)
    Regards

Will
    edited June 5, 2008
    Hmmm. I only have two bags. I'm obviously way behind in this race. OK....

I have a Domke J1 for holding most of my stuff, and a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home when I want to carry less. Both are extremely well made. Load either up fully and you're in for a workout. If you buy the Domke, go for the Post Office-style shoulder pad too.
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    I have two bags, one Lowepro StealthReporter 400AW, and a MountainSmith Parallax backpack. On long days I found the shoulder bag would put too much pressure on my collar, especially after it's healing. I just bought the MountainSmith and while it's nice, not sure if I really like the backpack style.

Thinking of something just a tad bigger than the Stealthreporter, maybe the Domke J2?

2554722779_edfe8cbe66.jpg
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    I currently have a Promaster bag that's about the same size as your bag, but it doesn't do two bodies, so I found this at a local shop and got it:

http://tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=domke&itemnum=700-J2B

It's the Domke J2 bag, fits the D50, D1H, and just about all my lenses and two flashes listed in my profile, as well. wings.gif

Oh, and "Made in USA" if that makes a difference in your purchasing decisions.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Wow, looks like alot of you maybe should form a support group for bag buyers. Haha, I guess it does makes sense to have several different bags for different occasions and simply not take every peace of photography equipment with you everywhere you go. There are alot of great choices on here. The last bag posted is $237!!! Wow, for a bag!! Well, I guess we all know photography isn't cheap.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Ot
    OT
    robscomputer: It looks like your bag is leaning against a guitar amp/speaker in the pic you posted. What do you play?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    The last bag posted is $237!!! Wow, for a bag!! Well, I guess we all know photography isn't cheap.

From memory mine was a good deal dearer than that (over $300 i think). When it come to getting what you pay for...bags are right up there. Stitching & padding will soon sort the quality from the crap when your lugging a decent amount of weight in it.

My father always taught me that something was only expensive if you had to buy it twice.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited June 6, 2008
    My largest is a Lightware MF 1420 Multi-Format Case. It holds 2 Canon crop 1.6x cameras with lenses attached, 4 flashes, 3-4 additional lenses, tons of batteries and cards, several chargers and flash modifiers (on the outside).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/31410-REG/Lightware_MF1420_MF1420_Multi_Format_Case.html

I bought it used and in poor shape and filthy. Some hand sewing for the velcro and stitching and a good upholstery shampoo and it works fine.

My 1D MKII cameras have dedicated aluminum hard cases, just $20 equipment cases from Menards. The bottoms have pluck foam and I had to supply egg-crate foam for the top.

I also have an older video camera bag that holds my travel kit:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Tamron 1.4x teleconverter (I may be getting the Canon version as the Tamron does not work so well with the 70-200mm)
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Sigma 500 DG Super flash
    Sunpak 383 Super flash
    Charger and spare battery.

I also have some dedicated bags for electronic flash and for film cameras and for long lenses.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    Wow, looks like alot of you maybe should form a support group for bag buyers. Haha, I guess it does makes sense to have several different bags for different occasions and simply not take every peace of photography equipment with you everywhere you go. There are alot of great choices on here. The last bag posted is $237!!! Wow, for a bag!! Well, I guess we all know photography isn't cheap.

I did not pay list price for it though, I got it for much cheaper, and then got a discount since I paid the store in cash and check, not credit or debit card, so he didn't have to pay the fees to visa/mastercard/amex thumb.gif The bag is definitely well made and I don't fear it falling apart even fully loaded at about 40 pounds, but I suspect I would wear out first.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    I have been through a few bags with ok straps but I always found they were the first to go. So I did some digging and found the kata bags http://www.kata-bags.com/videoLobby.asp specifically this one with 2 layers of straps and a crazy tensioning system http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pid=220&cid=28&perentId=4&ProdLine=4 It's not huge but I can still put 15 kg of lenses in it and cary it on a plane without the airlines noticing

but I too am a bagoholic I've got another canon backpack I keep full of speedlights/macro equipment/lighting gear/filters, a nice and tiny lowepro slingshot 100 for skiing. a couple of crumpler shoulder bags for around town
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    I been trying new bags and just realized that I could take out my Lowepro dividers and placed them in my favorite Timbuk2 bag. The Lowepro StealthReporter bag divider fits perfect inside a large Timbuk2 bag, even has room for a 70-200 f/2.8.

I'm testing this but might be a winner, doesn't look like a camera bag but still holds allot of gear.
    henryp wrote:
    OT
    robscomputer: It looks like your bag is leaning against a guitar amp/speaker in the pic you posted. What do you play?

:D Amp is a Fender Blues Deluxe, I play a Fender MIM Fat Strat and a Ibanez RG1570.
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:

Anyway, yes you can get larger bags in that style. Check out bags for video cameras - for pro/semi-pro video cameras. The ones I have are huge.

I don't know about everyone else, but I have multiple camera bags. Depending on what i'm planning to do - i have a bag for the purpose, that holds the gear I neeed to bring.l I have a LowePro SlingShot 300AW that holds everything (for now) that I take when I want to take it all, but that is very rare.

I have the LowePro Slingshot 300AW. This bag is awesome, fits a ton, very logically designed if you're using it for travel, compartments are logical. Favorite bag that I've owned so far :)
  • Options
    charlesoutcaltcharlesoutcalt Registered Users Posts: 100 Big grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    ThinkTank
    I can't say enough good stuff about ThinkTank (and not because I work for them). Someone recommended that I check out their Glass Taxi to carry a body mounted to a 300 mm f/2.8 lens.

I took that advice, and was blown away by the quality and attention to detail. Even the various straps (to mount tripod, monopod, etc, to the outside of the bag) were labeled. Zippers and all other materials are top-notch, the system is set up to be easy and expandable. . . I can testify only about that particular bag, but they have quite a line-up:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

I think it cost a little more, but I feel completely safe biking around with all my equipment in this bag, even with the tripod mounted on the side.
  • Options
    silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    I use a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 60 camera bag and I love it so far. It is definately heavy duty and built well. It holds a lot of weight.. If you need a strong bag, it's the one to get.

If I am taking a extended road trip, I pack the bag with the following...and the bag is REALLY HEAVY at this point.
    • Canon 1DMark II
    • Canon 40D
    • Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS
    • Canon EF 135mm F2L
    • Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM
    • Canon EF 50mm F1.8
    • Canon EF 2x Extender
    • Canon EF 1.4x Entender
    • Canon EF 16-35mm II f2.8L Lens
    • Canon 540Ex flash
    • Canon Battery Charger and 2 extra batteries
    • Dell Inspiron 1520 Laptop
    • Dell Power Cord and generic extention cord
    • Sandisk 8 Gig CF & SD cards 4 each
    • Glass cleaning kit
    • Tiny Multi screw driver
    • USB Cable
    • Firewire Cable
    • Wolverine 120gig Portable Hard Drive
    • Battery Charger for AA batteries
    • 10 AA Rechargeable batters (4 in flash, 4 in charger 2 in flashlight)
    • 1 Maglite.
    If I'm not doing a extended road trip I pack the bag with the following
    • Canon 1DMark II
    • Canon 40D
    • Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS
    • Canon EF 135mm F2L
    • Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM
    • Canon EF 50mm F1.8
    • Canon EF 2x Extender
    • Canon EF 1.4x Entender
    • Canon EF 16-35mm II f2.8L Lens
    • 2 extra batteries
    • Sandisk 8 Gig CF & SD cards 4 each
    • Glass cleaning kit
    • Tiny Multi screw driver
    I can tell you, the bag feels so much lighter in weight.
  • Options
    Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    Erbeman wrote:
    Yes, we got the camera and were leaving to go on a mini vacation the next day. I had to get a bag so we could take it with us. I went to all the electronic stores in town and I didn't find any that were very big other than the canon. So, I had to get it. It bothered me at first, but really, does it matter? It's just soemthing to giggle at I guess. I'm thinking I'm going to add this bag to my arsenal:

Bag I use for my d300. Planning to get something else because space is kinda limited if you have big lenses
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited July 3, 2008
    I just changed my travel bag to an Adorama "Pro Slinger".

It's a fair sized but simple bag with one main compartment and one front compartment. It also has some "mesh" holders on the side, but I'm not sure I would ever use them.

Ny previous travel bag was recycled from a previous application and was originally designed as a multi-purpose still camera/video camera bag. I had to store the Canon 40D lens up and it was a top-loader design so that meant I was pulling on the lens to extract the lens and camera. It was also pretty snug and I had to remove the flash to make it easier to remove the camera.

What I really wanted was a top loader that I could keep camera and lens in with the lens down, allowing me to pick up the camera body and bring it up ready to use.

I'm happy to say that the Pro Slinger works pretty well for that purpose.

It also has the feature of being very usable as a single strap backpack. A permanently attached waist belt takes the load off the neck strap and puts the weight on the hips, making the weight of a loaded bag pretty tolerable. There is even a place to stuff the waist belt when you want to use the bag as a shoulder bag, but the shoulder strap really works best as an over-the-neck strap.

I also purchased an Op/Tech S.O.S. strap which I'll be adapting to the bag for normal shoulder strap usage. (The bag will then have 2 shoulder straps.)

A fairly nice handle-grip is atop the bag and three quick-lock fasteners hold the top shut. The top has fairly good overlap with the main compartment but this is not a bag I would trust in a true rain or downpour (by itself).

Seams, zippers and padding seem appropriate and fine for my use.

I do wish the bag had side pockets, but otherwise the size and utility is very good and I'll be able to use it as both a travel/hiking bag and an events bag for the Canon 40D and associated lenses.

Not a bad bag for the money.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums