Options

Senior pics with flash... Comments PLEASE

KTBoom2006-E510KTBoom2006-E510 Registered Users Posts: 437 Major grins
edited June 27, 2008 in People
Here is another Senior I took pictures of tonight... here are just some of them, dont have the time tonight to PP them....

P6168268.jpg

P6168277.jpg

P6168305.jpg

P6168340-2.jpg

more to come...
~Katie~
:barb

http://www.kc1stphotography.com

2 Canon Rebel XSi
Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
2 Canon 14-55mm
Canon 55-250mm f4.0
Canon 580EX
Canon 580EX II

Comments

• Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    P6168477.jpg

P6168374.jpg

P6168363.jpg

P6168355.jpg
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    P6168416.jpg

P6168411.jpg

P6168450.jpg

P6168438.jpg
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    These are all really good, 4 is my fave with 11 and 12 trailing behind it.

Did you use a diffuser to get the light in their eyes like that? I love the sparkle.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    P6168471.jpg

P6168463.jpg

P6168533.jpg

P6168523.jpg

P6168512.jpg
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Shima wrote:
    These are all really good, 4 is my fave with 11 and 12 trailing behind it.

Did you use a diffuser to get the light in their eyes like that? I love the sparkle.

Thanks! All I used today is my NEW Flash (Olympus FL 36). No reflectors today!!! YA, lol.. Now I am done adding pictures
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Okaaay, 4 and 8, scream sex and being seductive. Not so much for a senior picture, maybe with some cropping, but no way would I let my child have that picture given out. Just my opinion. all the others are great, just. Shes probably 17/18 and it just seems like a indicent picture for such a pretty girl. Beware, they are senior pictures, not glamour or exotic pictures....

just MHO...

not that it means much.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Chris_ND wrote:
    Okaaay, 4 and 8, scream sex and being seductive. Not so much for a senior picture, maybe with some cropping, but no way would I let my child have that picture given out. Just my opinion. all the others are great, just. Shes probably 17/18 and it just seems like a indicent picture for such a pretty girl. Beware, they are senior pictures, not glamour or exotic pictures....

just MHO...

not that it means much.

Some of the pictures she wanted to use for ING Modeling, so we were going for glamour/model look in some of them... I have 85 pictures all together for her to choose from. thanks! :ivar
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif with chris
    !2 is my favorite
    I think the one in the tractor bucket is cute but could be way tighter.
    I like the pose in 10 but the harsh shadow hurts it
    really great shoot
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    Some of the pictures she wanted to use for ING Modeling, so we were going for glamour/model look in some of them... I have 85 pictures all together for her to choose from. thanks! :ivar

I think they are fine. thumb.gif
    I like a whole bunch of em but I'll have to go thru em again later!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    The only problem I can see, is that in a couple of them, the teeth and eyes are reflecting the flash. However, I'm not one to talk because I'm still trying to get the hang of shooting with flash. Otherwise, they are great thumb.gif
    Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
    http://slinky0390.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    Removed.... ( I personally didn't like it)
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    like'em all.....my only crit is on #8.....if the legs were reversed it would be fantastic........but innner thigh is not good.......I read that some where by a famous glam. photog...now can't remember who/wheremwink.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    I like the idea of the selective color, you just need to clean it up
  • Options
    NateWagnerNateWagner Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    well, on the overall shoot I liked a most of them. I agree on 4&8 with chris just because of the length of the skirt. If she were wearing jeans the pose would be absolutely fine.

as far as the senior photo you posted most recently, I don't like it and I'm trying to put my finger on why. The eyes bother me, because they don't look at all sharp. I don't really like the selective coloring, but then again I almost never do. I think the black and white portion could have used some more contrast, because it looks quite blah (to me). There are portions by her arm that you missed with the desaturation that are still in green (would definitely clean that up). Also, I don't know if it is just me, but she looks a little desaturated herself, she just doesn't look sharp and like a real person.

I think if you redid the PP on that photo it could be very nice (assuming the eyes are actually sharp and that you just used a gaussian blur or something to smooth the face and forgot to mask the eyes).

This is not intended to be harsh it is just my honest opinion. In general your photos were quite good and if I were a senior I would be very happy with them.
    Thanks,
    -Nate

Equipment
    Canon Stuff (and third party stuff as well)
    Tampa Bay Wedding Photography
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    NateWagner wrote:
    well, on the overall shoot I liked a most of them. I agree on 4&8 with chris just because of the length of the skirt. If she were wearing jeans the pose would be absolutely fine.

as far as the senior photo you posted most recently, I don't like it and I'm trying to put my finger on why. The eyes bother me, because they don't look at all sharp. I don't really like the selective coloring, but then again I almost never do. I think the black and white portion could have used some more contrast, because it looks quite blah (to me). There are portions by her arm that you missed with the desaturation that are still in green (would definitely clean that up). Also, I don't know if it is just me, but she looks a little desaturated herself, she just doesn't look sharp and like a real person.

I think if you redid the PP on that photo it could be very nice (assuming the eyes are actually sharp and that you just used a gaussian blur or something to smooth the face and forgot to mask the eyes).

This is not intended to be harsh it is just my honest opinion. In general your photos were quite good and if I were a senior I would be very happy with them.

Well thanks, I do like having detailed comments on my pictures. I have a better picture of the tree and shoes with her in focus. But at the moment I just grabbed it for kicks and giggles.... The pictures of her short dress... I agree, pants or a longer dress would be better. Or even like Art Scott said, switch the leg. The girl I am doing pictures for (Dana) does not like BW/color pictures... So don't plan on working with the photo to much since she won't pick it.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    Chris_NDChris_ND Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Big reason why, I brought that up is. Being a 18 year old Man/Child? lol myself, Just something that screams sex. Alot of media conditions girls to want to look like that but in all reality, it isn't quite accepted as a senior picture, Which IMO are meant to be old fashioned and classy. =)

Good pics none the less. Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2008
    Sorry but I'd like to offer a different take. I think you could do better. The exposure is way too hot on many of these....the sky/backgrounds are brighter than your subject..sky is blown out....the one where she's squatting down with the dark background looks similar to a Kodak moment...way too flashed. Expose for the brights/sky then ride your flash compensation to acheive the look for the subject...flash fill should be just that...fill....not overpowering the scene. It's about balance, making it look natural. You can do this same thing in post IF you don't blow the highlights at time of shoot.

The Senior 2009 shot on the 2nd page here is quite washed out and she's not in focus. The focus fell on her dress, not her face and most importantly, eyes.

Some interesting compositions here that could work well but the other components take away from overall photo. Again, I really believe you can do better and don't want to suger coat.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Sorry but I'd like to offer a different take. I think you could do better. The exposure is way too hot on many of these....the sky/backgrounds are brighter than your subject..sky is blown out....the one where she's squatting down with the dark background looks similar to a Kodak moment...way too flashed. Expose for the brights/sky then ride your flash compensation to acheive the look for the subject...flash fill should be just that...fill....not overpowering the scene. It's about balance, making it look natural. You can do this same thing in post IF you don't blow the highlights at time of shoot.

The Senior 2009 shot on the 2nd page here is quite washed out and she's not in focus. The focus fell on her dress, not her face and most importantly, eyes.

Some interesting compositions here that could work well but the other components take away from overall photo. Again, I really believe you can do better and don't want to suger coat.

All I can say is ..... wow......(with my jaw dropping)
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:

Is this better

P6168450-2.jpg
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    I think I like #9 the best with 5, 6 & 11 very good!
    Which Olympus camera did you use?

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    I think I like #9 the best with 5, 6 & 11 very good!
    Which Olympus camera did you use?

Take Care,
    Chuck,

I use an Olympus E-510.... And THANK YOU :D
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Is this better

P6168450-2.jpg

Yes, much improved sky....#6 & #14 are your best in this series (IMHO) and should look real nice once PPing. I like the jumping on this one but what takes away is the plain setting...a road, trees, field, nothing that really adds to her or the jump.

I don't mean to drop your jaw (only if it's in a good way) but want to provide you with honest observations that will only improve your skill level. It's the things one should look for when desiring to make photos..anyone can take snapshots.

Look for complimentary backgrounds, oftentimes colors that will work with your subject's attire. Pay very close attention to your exposure and equally important (actually more) focus. IF the shot isn't in focus no post processing will correct it. Focus on the eyes (of course that's a bit tricky on an action shot but can be done). With proper f/stop the rest will fall into place. Most of all, keep shooting, keep posting, keep your chin up and have fun. Try at each shooting opportunitiy to implement just 1 new concept....not 10 of them. You'll be overwhelmed...just one....like today I"m going to nail exposure..then concentrate on that. Get it to where it's second nature...then go on to a next concept.

Sorry for the long winded banter. My desire is to help, not hinder. What I don't want to do is say, "nice shot" when in reality it isn't and then you go along for the next few years thinking you're on the right track. That would render the essence of this forum useless.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Yes, much improved sky....#6 & #14 are your best in this series (IMHO) and should look real nice once PPing. I like the jumping on this one but what takes away is the plain setting...a road, trees, field, nothing that really adds to her or the jump.

I don't mean to drop your jaw (only if it's in a good way) but want to provide you with honest observations that will only improve your skill level. It's the things one should look for when desiring to make photos..anyone can take snapshots.

Look for complimentary backgrounds, oftentimes colors that will work with your subject's attire. Pay very close attention to your exposure and equally important (actually more) focus. IF the shot isn't in focus no post processing will correct it. Focus on the eyes (of course that's a bit tricky on an action shot but can be done). With proper f/stop the rest will fall into place. Most of all, keep shooting, keep posting, keep your chin up and have fun. Try at each shooting opportunitiy to implement just 1 new concept....not 10 of them. You'll be overwhelmed...just one....like today I"m going to nail exposure..then concentrate on that. Get it to where it's second nature...then go on to a next concept.

Sorry for the long winded banter. My desire is to help, not hinder. What I don't want to do is say, "nice shot" when in reality it isn't and then you go along for the next few years thinking you're on the right track. That would render the essence of this forum useless.

Well thank you very much.... Honesty is what helps with improving pictures.
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    surlysurly Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2008
    Is this better

P6168450-2.jpg

Other than the missed focus I think vertical would have worked better for this composition.

The catchlights are pretty low (as in the pupul) in a few of your others and might look better if you get you main light higher.

Watch the direction the legs cross to avoid drawing attention to... well you know mwink.gif

All in all I see some good shots in there.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited June 21, 2008
    surly wrote:
    Other than the missed focus I think vertical would have worked better for this composition.

The catchlights are pretty low (as in the pupul) in a few of your others and might look better if you get you main light higher.

Watch the direction the legs cross to avoid drawing attention to... well you know mwink.gif

All in all I see some good shots in there.
    I agree that the focus is soft, but I have a different take on the comp. How's about this?

316907934_zKLpm-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    I think it looks good too. I will show her a cropped version and the original. When we had done the picture she said that she wanted the field in it behind her. She likes the open feeling of it. But I will show her the cropped version and she might like it better.:ivar
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    duchessduchess Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    I like 1, 2, 4, and he one on the tracks. Wow that was brave. But like someone said before the pictures where she has her leg up a little is more seductive, if she had her leg down just a little it would be more suited for Senior pics. But I see she wants to use them for modeling as well. Great pictures, very creative.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Very pretty girl...looks like you had a great photo shoot.
    The on camera flash is pretty rough on some of these shots. I know right where you are...been there myself. Get yourself a $20. light stand and move your flash off camera to get some shading on the face and get the catch light out of the center of her eye.

If you have a Nikon you can use the commander mode to control your flash off camera....it is way easy....if I could figure it out anyone can.
    Several other manufacturers have the same type of system I believe.

With some nice side light to create depth in the face these would be first rate.

The creativity and composition in these is very nice and I really like the lighting in barn shots...just could be improved with better lighting.

Really nice work, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    zoomer wrote:
    Very pretty girl...looks like you had a great photo shoot.
    The on camera flash is pretty rough on some of these shots. I know right where you are...been there myself. Get yourself a $20. light stand and move your flash off camera to get some shading on the face and get the catch light out of the center of her eye.

If you have a Nikon you can use the commander mode to control your flash off camera....it is way easy....if I could figure it out anyone can.
    Several other manufacturers have the same type of system I believe.

With some nice side light to create depth in the face these would be first rate.

The creativity and composition in these is very nice and I really like the lighting in barn shots...just could be improved with better lighting.

Really nice work, thanks for sharing.

I have an Olympus E-510 with a FL 36 flash. I am so new at this, never took classes or anything to be a photographer. So I look at this forum as everyone being my teacher. I have learned so much, and it helps hearing the good (to keep me going) and the bad to make me better.

I really like the compositions my partner and I came up with. The client (senior) likes the pictures a lot. Still don't have the final pick so that I can edit though. Dang it! lol, thanks
    ~Katie~

2 Canon Rebel XSi
    Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
    2 Canon 14-55mm
    Canon 55-250mm f4.0
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 580EX II