Options

Going to Order 17-40L f/4

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 3, 2008 in Cameras
Well this activity will be financed by my brother and father half/half,:D
I hope things go smooth and there wont be any problem at last minute. Infect i haven't told my dad how much this little lens costs !

Any Advice ?
I am going for canon because there is no dealer of any other third party manufacturer so no genuine warranty. It will be my walk around lens on 400D replacing kit lens.
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    It's a fantastic lens. You'll love it! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Maybe you can get one from the flea market here? Might be cheaper, even though shipping..

But I think you are gonna like that lens!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited July 15, 2008
    Awais,

The Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is an amazingly good lens and a very good value. It has a fair amount of distortion when used at 17mm, but it's pretty correctable in software if you notice it.

Just enjoy that lens, even wide open at f4.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    Personally, I like the optics of the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 better. It's also cheaper so it may be worth looking at if you haven't already done so.

However, the AF and the build quality of the Canon is better.

I'm sure either one will serve you well.
    Congrats.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2008
    For the type of work you enjoy doing, you have made an excellent choice, Awais. clap.gif

You will love it! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Awais,

The Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is an amazingly good lens and a very good value. It has a fair amount of distortion when used at 17mm, but it's pretty correctable in software if you notice it.

Just enjoy that lens, even wide open at f4.

Oh my God distortion? is it more then kit lens or similar in real world usage ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Personally, I like the optics of the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 better. It's also cheaper so it may be worth looking at if you haven't already done so.

However, the AF and the build quality of the Canon is better.

I'm sure either one will serve you well.
    Congrats.

I would love to go for different options but third party is not possible in Pakistan as they will be without warranty, and there is no after sales service centers here.

My Gallery
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited July 16, 2008
    I would love to go for different options but third party is not possible in Pakistan as they will be without warranty, and there is no after sales service centers here.

Awais, you won't be sorry. The 17-40 has excellent optics and the L build is very sturdy. The only problem is that it's going to make you want more L glass in the future. mwink.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Awais, you won't be sorry. The 17-40 has excellent optics and the L build is very sturdy. The only problem is that it's going to make you want more L glass in the future. mwink.gif

It's a horrible and painful illness, with some perks, that has no cure!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008

You can read about it here:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/177-canon-ef-17-40mm-f4-usm-l-test-report--review?start=1

The good news is that for most images you won't notice it so it's not a problem. The better news is that when you do notice the problem, it's pretty simple to adjust in software.

Yes, it is very similar distortion to the Canon EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 II.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 USM IS is only slightly better so this is a weak point for Canon zoom lenses in this focal length range. (Nikon standard zooms also have a similar problem so this is not unusual or unique to Canon.)

I still highly recommend the lens and I own a copy myself.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    You can read about it here:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EOS%20Lens%20Tests/177-canon-ef-17-40mm-f4-usm-l-test-report--review?start=1

The good news is that for most images you won't notice it so it's not a problem. The better news is that when you do notice the problem, it's pretty simple to adjust in software.

Yes, it is very similar distortion to the Canon EF-S 18-55mm, f/3.5-5.6 II.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 USM IS is only slightly better so this is a weak point for Canon zoom lenses in this focal length range. (Nikon standard zooms also have a similar problem so this is not unusual or unique to Canon.)

I still highly recommend the lens and I own a copy myself.

:D I never noticed any distortion in the kit lens so no problem. What a shame canon says it will take around 1 month for delivery incase they don't have it in Pakistan rolleyes1.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Good luck in getting it sooner than expected, it's a fun little lens and I kind of enjoy the tiny bit of occasional distortion.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Since you are using a 1.6 crop factor camera this distortion at the wide end will be less and as stated easily fixed.

64494007_fnnd3-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Ahan thank you Ric !

My Gallery
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Awais,

Dude, way to kill a buzz! lol3.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Well this activity will be financed by my brother and father half/half,:D
    I hope things go smooth and there wont be any problem at last minute. Infect i haven't told my dad how much this little lens costs !

Any Advice ?
    I am going for canon because there is no dealer of any other third party manufacturer so no genuine warranty. It will be my walk around lens on 400D replacing kit lens.

Wow I wish someone would finance the 200mm f2L lens for me, lucky man!

The 17-40 is a good lens, I was using it untill I got the 16-35mm II. I was needing the f2.8 stop, which is the only reason why I bought the 16-35mm lens. I don't use the f4 as much anymore now thou... :cry
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2008
    Wow I wish someone would finance the 200mm f2L lens for me, lucky man!

The 17-40 is a good lens, I was using it untill I got the 16-35mm II. I was needing the f2.8 stop, which is the only reason why I bought the 16-35mm lens. I don't use the f4 as much anymore now thou... :cry

:cry I feel sorry for 17-40.
    Actually i got 50% off from the semester fee as scholarship and it is exactly half of the amount my elder bro agreed to give the other half as gift of his new job wings.gif.

My Gallery
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    If you shoot in RAW and use Canon's DPP, there is a feature to correct for distortion, CA, and vignetting and such. It's under the third correction tab with the noise reduction.
  • Options
    silverstangssilverstangs Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    If you shoot in RAW and use Canon's DPP, there is a feature to correct for distortion, CA, and vignetting and such. It's under the third correction tab with the noise reduction.

That is true
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    I have the 17-55 f/2.8IS and it, according to this page, exhibits similar distortion at 17mm and I've only noticed it once in the past 1.5 years I've used the lens. I really don't think you have anything to worry about unless you start changing your photographic style and start shooting buildings instead of people.:D

On one hand, I believe you are going to be very happy with this purchase. On the other hand, I to believe you will become another victim of the dreaded "L" disease - welcome to the club!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    I have the 17-55 f/2.8IS and it, according to this page, exhibits similar distortion at 17mm and I've only noticed it once in the past 1.5 years I've used the lens. I really don't think you have anything to worry about unless you start changing your photographic style and start shooting buildings instead of people.:D

On one hand, I believe you are going to be very happy with this purchase. On the other hand, I to believe you will become another victim of the dreaded "L" disease - welcome to the club!clap.gif

:D I am already L infected i used 70-200 of my friend it was perfect in terms of built and handling and i decided to go for 17-40L :D next 70-200L 2.8IS is on my wish list. If i ever went FF i will add 24-70L 2.8 thats all eek7.gif
    On FF 17-40L + 24-70L2.8 +70-200 2.8 thats the range i need eek7.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    :D I am already L infected i used 70-200 of my friend it was perfect in terms of built and handling and i decided to go for 17-40L :D next 70-200L 2.8IS is on my wish list. If i ever went FF i will add 24-70L 2.8 thats all eek7.gif
    On FF 17-40L + 24-70L2.8 +70-200 2.8 thats the range i need eek7.gif
    Don't know if your friend's 70-200 was the f/2.8 IS or not - if not, be warned, that lens is a handful - quite heavy! But, oh so sweet!

Anyway, that lens line-up will be so sweet -you'll be set!
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    Don't know if your friend's 70-200 was the f/2.8 IS or not - if not, be warned, that lens is a handful - quite heavy! But, oh so sweet!

It was 70-200 F4 IS version
    328826110_BXU9b-M.jpg

When i came back home and started editing of the photos noticed images shot by that L glass were so good to eyes! and images shot by my kit lens took so much time bringing back to life and still they were not like what i saw there.

My Gallery
  • Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2008
    After waiting for a month, my friend finally hand carried the 17-40 to me and we went out together for a night shooting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    I have been so used to the 24-105 on the 5D and found the 17-40 have some distortion at the wider end.
    Also, I forgot that the 17-40 does not have IS. I missed some shots due to the slow shutter setting. Corrected it after a day of shooting.
    Anyway, I like the picture quality of the 17-40 and will try it for the firework over the weekend.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2008

I guess everything is relative. A lot of people say that the 70-200 2.8 is a beast. It makes me laugh...after carrying around a 400 DO IS and a 100-400 it feels like a toy. BTW, I just got mine and love it.:D
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2008
    Canon's pricing policy is amazingly insane in Pakistan they are selling 16-35 II and 24-70 2.8 for same price. And after increased value of dollar prices have jumped even more eek7.gif pooor photographers.
    Anyway 17-40L was the only piece of glass whose price is still same as in other countries and was not increased lucky me :D

Lets see waiting for consignment will reach in end of this month

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    Question about Hood and filter.

Is Ew 83J appropriate hood for 17-40L i hope it won't look stupid on it ? I read it is effective but i am worried about size.

77 mm Hoya UV pro 1 filter what about this filter ?.

I have told my bro to buy these two things for my 17-40 L that is still not yet delivered to me

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    Question about Hood and filter.

Is Ew 83J appropriate hood for 17-40L i hope it won't look stupid on it ? I read it is effective but i am worried about size.

77 mm Hoya UV pro 1 filter what about this filter ?.

I have told my bro to buy these two things for my 17-40 L that is still not yet delivered to me

Awais,

Yes, I believe the Canon EW-83J is a more appropriate hood for the Canon EF 17-40mm, f4L USM when that lens is used on a crop 1.6x camera body.

Just for completeness, the slightly larger (diameter) EW-83E hood is to be used on the crop 1.3x and full-frame bodies.

Yes, the Hoya Pro 1 series filters are rated to be pretty good. You should not have any vignetting even with the standard thickness filter ring, but there is a "slim" mount available with front threads for stacking if you wish. (Stacking atop a UV or protective filter is not recommended by me however.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2008
    I don't know about the one you ordered but my 17-40L came with the hood so I'm not sure why you would need an after-market hood ne_nau.gif

I talked to the Canon reps a couple months ago and they said don't use an filters unless it is for effect (such as CPL or ND), they strongly suggested against using any sort of UV/Haze filter especially on the L series lenses as it degrades the image.

I was always a UV/Haze filter girl and had one on everything. After talking to the Canon guys though, I decided to try shooting with one and the images are definately sharper without the filters. I always use the hoods (now) as the Canon reps were talking about how the hoods are there to help with flare but also to keep your glass safe. I have not had one scratch or ding on any lens. I think that is a heated topic, the filter issue, but just thought i'd throw it out there.

I DO however find that the B+W CPL and ND filters are very useful on both my 17-40L and my 70-200L, so you might want to look into at least a good CPL.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:

I talked to the Canon reps a couple months ago and they said don't use an filters unless it is for effect (such as CPL or ND), they strongly suggested against using any sort of UV/Haze filter especially on the L series lenses as it degrades the image.

I was always a UV/Haze filter girl and had one on everything. After talking to the Canon guys though, I decided to try shooting with one and the images are definately sharper without the filters. ...

I always test filters on the lens to see what the effect is against image quality. As a result, I keep filters on most of my lenses including "L" series lenses simply because it makes cleaning much easier and safer. I figure I can always take the filter off for critical shots. So far, leaving the filter on is working fine and I don't see much degredation or loss of contrast in most of my lenses. I also use the lens hoods faithfully.

Canon does include the filter as part of the protection on weather-proofed "L" series lenses. In other words, you do not have weather resistance "unless" you use a front filter on many of the "L" weather-proofed lenses. (... and I presume that the filter should be of the "sealed" variety.)

In my armada of lenses, the EF 17-40mm, f4L USM is one of the few for which I have not found an acceptable filter, so mine is still filter-less. (The filters I tried degraded the image sufficiently that I decided not to use them. I have not tried the Pro 1 series, or B+W either, so I'm hoping Awais has some good luck.)
    ziggy53