Options

So how do you all feel about the new theme?

2»

Comments

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2008
    umph.gif that is 12 eastern, correct? i think i missed the first contest because i thought i had til 12 my local time, and well needless to say the entry thread was closed....so enter early:D

Yes, absolutely, 12:01am EST.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    ellarueellarue Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2008
    Too Late?
    Is it too late to get on board to win the 40D?
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2008
    ellarue wrote:
    Is it too late to get on board to win the 40D?

It's not too late at all! Just read the rules here and enter your image for the current challenge (Photo Filters) here.

Best of luck to you! thumb.gif
    Emily

• Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    im still not sure what you guys mean by Filters for photoshop...

there are tons of filter in photoshop.. would any of 'em work?

let's say using just Unsharp Mask? or High Pass Filter

also, is converting the photo to Black and White ok?
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2008
    rhommel wrote:
    im still not sure what you guys mean by Filters for photoshop...

there are tons of filter in photoshop.. would any of 'em work?

let's say using just Unsharp Mask? or High Pass Filter

also, is converting the photo to Black and White ok?

I guess the bigger question here is, what do you want to get out of this?

If you are in it to learn, will just using Unsharp Mask help you to grow? Is it getting you out of your comfort zone and exploring possibilities?

If you're in it to win, I can only speak for myself here, but I can tell you the types of images I'm most likely to select:
    • One that makes me say, "Wow, that's cool! I wanna know how they achieved that!"
    • One that makes me say, "THAT is one awesome shot. Yeah, the filter is super subtle, but that's all it needed."
    • Or one that makes me say, "That image truly shows how filters can be used to effectively push the message further."
    Yes, it can be black and white, but converting it alone is not use of filters in my books.
    Emily

• Options
    rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    I guess the bigger question here is, what do you want to get out of this?

If you are in it to learn, will just using Unsharp Mask help you to grow? Is it getting you out of your comfort zone and exploring possibilities?

If you're in it to win, I can only speak for myself here, but I can tell you the types of images I'm most likely to select:
    • One that makes me say, "Wow, that's cool! I wanna know how they achieved that!"
    • One that makes me say, "THAT is one awesome shot. Yeah, the filter is super subtle, but that's all it needed."
    • Or one that makes me say, "That image truly shows how filters can be used to effectively push the message further."
    Yes, it can be black and white, but converting it alone is not use of filters in my books.

understood... i'll try to create something that I have never done before...
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    At first I was a bit surprised by having a photo accessory the theme of photo contest, but then I went "uhm" ;-) mwink.gif

But frankly, the thing I like the most is that the redefined contest finally brought back many former lps heavyweights bowdown.gif , so the game becomes interesting again deal.gifthumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2008
    At first, I was unsure but then i pulled out all my filters and started playing around - which is why I got them in the first place. So YAY!

The only thing I don't like is the use of software filters "counting", but meh. I think it will definately be an interesting round and is already shaping up quite nicely.

Jeez, i really need to work on some more shots to be competitive with all these people.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    At first I was a bit surprised by having a photo accessory the theme of photo contest, but then I went "uhm" ;-) mwink.gif
    I had the same reaction. Then I stared thinking that most of us use some kind of accessory while shooting for these challenges anyway...so what is it they really want? headscratch.gif It took me a few days to realize I was making a mountain out of a molehill and that I just needed to get out there and start playing with my toys. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2008
    The goal of these new challenges is to help you grow as a photographer both technically and creatively. Some of the upcoming themes may not be too surprising, and some may be totally unexpected. eek7.gif Regardless, if you make an attempt to participate in every round, you should become much more diversified and will have stretched yourself tremendously. And above all, you should be having fun doing what you love, and loving what you do!

Frustrations and disappointments are bound to occur when your image is not selected by the judges in a given round. However, my vision is for each of you to look back after a year's worth of work and see how far you've come, how many tremendous images you've produced, and how these challenges have pushed you to try things you would never have considered otherwise.

I am so completely stoked about being a judge for these challenges. Even in the few rounds so far I have been tremendously impressed. I am still going to do my best to judge without knowing whose image is whose and am staying out of the entry thread and input threads.

Let's give it up for DoctorIT who is giving me such tremendous support and puts in a lot of time behind the scenes. It's people like him and the other moderators who truly care about these forums that make it such an amazing space! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Emily

• Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2008
    The goal of these new challenges is to help you grow as a photographer both technically and creatively. Some of the upcoming themes may not be too surprising, and some may be totally unexpected. eek7.gif Regardless, if you make an attempt to participate in every round, you should become much more diversified and will have stretched yourself tremendously. And above all, you should be having fun doing what you love, and loving what you do!

Frustrations and disappointments are bound to occur when your image is not selected by the judges in a given round. However, my vision is for each of you to look back after a year's worth of work and see how far you've come, how many tremendous images you've produced, and how these challenges have pushed you to try things you would never have considered otherwise.

I am so completely stoked about being a judge for these challenges. Even in the few rounds so far I have been tremendously impressed. I am still going to do my best to judge without knowing whose image is whose and am staying out of the entry thread and input threads.

Let's give it up for DoctorIT who is giving me such tremendous support and puts in a lot of time behind the scenes. It's people like him and the other moderators who truly care about these forums that make it such an amazing space! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Emily, I think I speak for a number of "old timers" here when I say we're so glad that you took this responsibility on. I don't know how much input you had into the new format, but I like it very much.

The themes thus far have been fun. And yes, I've been "stretched" out of my comfort zone already. rolleyes1.gif I'm not used to taking "staged" shots but since I didn't want to photograph a fish or a bird for the Feathered or Scaled challenge I needed to try something else.

Frustrations and disappointments are part of life. Have I experienced frustration and disappointment during these challenges? Of course! But life goes on. ne_nau.gif:D