Options

Kari, Lance, Cars: Companion Piece

cmorganphotographycmorganphotography Registered Users Posts: 980 Major grins
edited July 26, 2008 in People
Halliday, Kari, and I stumbled upon an old garage with classic cars. It was a really hot day and hopefully we have some winners. C+C welcome. Enjoy! [be sure to look for Hallday's post of his pics too.]
337054155_pTkFs-L-2.jpg
337346522_F4oUN-L.jpg
337058648_wLyAr-L-2.jpg
337340842_baYCV-L.jpg
337345504_mRGft-L.jpg
337065591_p8TBx-L-2.jpg
337100535_jMqvA-L-2.jpg
337057401_TD27Y-L-2.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    #6 is pretty amazing- I think the best work I have seen of yours yet! Well done and keep it up!

I started to like #1 until I saw the boob hanging out... not my favorite. But then I am most assuredly a female, so I might be a bit disqualified!

#2 is real nice- nice smile and stuff. Try doing some armpit smoothing.

#3 Nice expression and compo. The blue isn't quite far enough for my taste- it needs to be just a little bit further to reassure the viewer that it wasn't just a white balance mistake.

#4 I love the expression and compo, except one thing- her cut off hand. Really nice work and with just a bit more it would be awesome!

#5 Again beautiful shot with cropped hand. Bummer, but you are getting there! Not far from amazing!

#6- I already told you I love it, so there you go!

#7- Another cropped shot- I would have loved it too.

#8- She looks uncomfortable and upside down- like blood rushing to the head...

Seriously- I have liked this set better than any other that I have seen from you! I can really see the growth! Amazing, really!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    #6 is pretty amazing- I think the best work I have seen of yours yet! Well done and keep it up!!
    Why, thank you ma'am! Growth is good. This was me with my 50mm fresh from the box. I was just happy to see photos that were in focus. :D
    There's a whole mess of them over on my smug mug. 107 I think. I culled them all down from over 300... so I'm getting better about that too.
    I shall work on the cropped hands. I did smooth her armpits a bit in #2 but didn't know how much to leave to still make it look like skin and she has a mole on her right one... so it's tricky. Deciding on the best ones is hard to do. Leave me comments if you like. Any help for Kari will help he too, it's her portfolio as well as mine.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    It's pretty hard to comment on the watermarks, they are all the same ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    It's pretty hard to comment on the watermarks, they are all the same ne_nau.gif
    rolleyes1.gif Don't you start! You can see the pictures well enough. You don't have to comment if you don't want.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    rolleyes1.gif Don't you start! You can see the pictures well enough. You don't have to comment if you don't want.
    I'd love to, honest.deal.gif But I hate "n-ur-feiz" watermarks ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'd love to, honest.deal.gif But I hate "n-ur-feiz" watermarks ne_nau.gif
    I'm just sharing my half of the photo shoot. C+C welcome but not enforced on people like taxes and death. Everybody's free to wear Juniper Breeze!
  • Options
    VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    1, 4 and 8 are pretty nice.
    But I have to agree about the watermarks, they get in your way of enjoying the pics, specially in #1 for example.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 23, 2008
    Do we really need to get into a watermarks discussion again? Really? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Vysionous wrote:
    1, 4 and 8 are pretty nice.
    But I have to agree about the watermarks, they get in your way of enjoying the pics, specially in #1 for example.
    Thank you for the comment! I'm sorry they get hurt your enjoyment but that's how I want my photos when they are displayed off my website and up for fun. For a contest it's different, I'm not requiring any judgements for these.
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Very nice Cour...... oops C. Morgan!

I'll share with you what I see.

#1. One poster already mentioned to obvious slip, but thats OK! :D Actually, I really like the pose. The light only plays on one side of her face and this is the only real issue I have with this shot. This model has exceptional eyes... Show 'em!!!!! :D

#2. Overall nice pose. Classic portraiture would indicate no-no to armpits, but this is more glamour so its cool! Great choice of wardrobe here. My only pick is that the models right eye is smaller than the left. My daughter has the same problem so I need to photograph her from the right angle so her eyes are proportional.

#3. I really find this one quite beautiful. I like the cyanotope colouring you've chosen. You haven't cut any appendages off at the joints that I can see! All I would change is that over blown section near the armpit. A little PS and you should be off to the races.

#4. One of my favourites in the whole group of photos! I like to the tones of the photo. The model's skin is well exposed. I see a potential split-profile however I don't think its a big deal here as it isn't a formal photo and its not a portrait. There's some blown our highlights near on the outer edge of the arms and the shirt. Maybe some PS....

#5. Great casual shot. I like how you didn't show the top of the model's hands in this photo. I don't mind so much you've cropped the left hand out in this shot. Nice use of light on the models features accentuate her upper facial structure. I do see the right eye again being distinctly smaller than the left.

#6. This one doesn't really work for me because I find the right half of her face is in shadow. Also, for some reason I keep getting drawn to her left hand. Her pose seems a little awkward and forced as well. The concept is really good though. When I think of a nice car there are always sleek curves involved. Are there any ways to make her meld together more with the car?

#7. This one is my favourite. What a great shot!!!!! Great lighting makes her cheekbones pop out. Nice pose here with no split-profile and her hands aren't showing!!! Her pose indicates nice sexy curves but isn't predominantly "in-your-face" sexual. I really like your choice of post-processing here. Well done.

#8. My second favourite (much more so than the cyanotope treatment). The eyes are proportional, bright and exotic. You've cropped the armpit and the blown highlights. My only slight peeve is the hand in the photo. Many women probably wouldn't want to see their veins pop up in photos. I am not sure how to pose this any differently though. ne_nau.gif

I hope I've been a little helpful. I've taken some formal training in portraiture, however, never really applied it to my own stuff as I really prefer shooting landscapes. My fiancé is quick to point out my flaws though! I'm sure Nikolai could provide you with much better advice as his portfolio is quite amazing.

Well done though cmorgan. :Dclap.gif
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    VysionousVysionous Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thank you for the comment! I'm sorry they get hurt your enjoyment but that's how I want my photos when they are displayed off my website and up for fun. For a contest it's different, I'm not requiring any judgements for these.

Fine, just don't push.
    In the dawn, an angel was dancing. Surrounded by an aura of light.
    But in the shadows, Vysionous was watching, and with patience awaiting the night.

http://vysionous.deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    #1. She does indeed have really pretty eyes. She can't see in sunlight unfortunately and squints. ***It isn't a boob slip. Kari has a large chest, the part you are seeing is only the top. No nips I promise. I wouldn't post something like that.
    #2. I'm learning this no armpits rule. I thought she looked fresh and happy, so I chose that one.
    #3. I like the blue too. Which tool do I use to fix blown out parts?
    #4. It was a dark room- I always get blinkies from overdoing the pp to lighten the face. It's an out take actually. You have to catch her off guard, she doesn't like smiley pics. ne_nau.gif I love her smile and say pretty random stuff to snap it. I was expecting you to had the toned down colour.

#5. Thank you for pointing out the eye thing. It's been subconciously bugging me. I'll stay on her right from now on-- hopefully. We try to hide the wrists and hands, we pale people are veiny. People don't like seeing that and the pp on the veins can make it all look fake.

#6. I'm sure we'll be going back for some car shots at some point. The owner was really nice. She was uncomfy, it was a hot day and everyone had a pound of sweat on them. This was towards the end of the skirt shoot, so she stop flopping on the car.:D

#7. She said she didn't mind the crazy colours so I went crazy with the last outfit. Having seen her without the lipstick brought two more ideas to me about future shoots. It's funny, I posed her for Lance's pics and I just stood by and got her in semi-pro..................... which will probably get me in trouble!! I think she has a nice profile, ne_nau.gif she has great bones, yes she does!
    #8. The pose was a problem, yes. I tried to overexpose her veins out... I had hoped I succeeded. There's something about the pic I really like. Maybe it's because I tried so hard to make it work on site and in pp.

Thanks for the indepth C+C. PS help is always a plus. Send me a pm on some detail of *how* I correct these things and maybe I won't split my pp between PS*free and iphoto anymore. PS was easier than I thought.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Vysionous wrote:
    Fine, just don't push.
    Push? I don't quite understand?
  • Options
    geospatial_junkiegeospatial_junkie Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    For the veins try using the cloning tool on a duplicate layer (never harm your original layer). I would stay away from the healing brush here.

In order to fix the highlights, you may have to use something like the patch tool. I'm not sure how well you'll be able to do it as there is quite a large area in one photo. It will take some trial and error. Again, do this on a duplicate layer.

I've always had problems with eyes in a subject. I was always told that everyone has a good and bad side. This is very true. It can be easy to forget though in the moment! I think you did a great job!
    "They've done studies you know. Sixty-percent of the time, it works every time."

My Website
    My Photo Blog
    Twitter Feed
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    ..... I think you did a great job!
    I will try those things and hopefully get a better handle on not doing the same mistakes in the future. Thanks for the vote of confidence!
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    1. I like the lighting on her face but the detail falls off pretty quickly. I am guessing you were shooting pretty wide open with your new 50mm? The blotchiness of detail on her arm and chest ruins it for me

2. I like this one quite a bit except for the hair in her face and that her eyes are too dark.

3. Not feeling this one- don't know if it is the color or how much of her is missing ne_nau.gif

4. Looks like a fun pose but the angle and the expression makes it seem as if she is slifing off the car

5. Like this one quite a bit too- except the eyes are too dark and the chopped hand and foot hurt it.

6. This one is good. The electrical conduit kind off looks like a martial antenna coiming off her face though. Wish there was a little more light and detail in her legs.

7. Like the treatment and the pose. I'd crop the left in to the pilar as the bricks on the other side don't add anything to the image. Really wish the hand was there because the arm leads you up but then it is cut off.

8. Great face- great eyes- just need a little more of her to provide more context.

Did the owners of the car know you were having girls draped across them?

Okay- now go bash my girl and car photos :D
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    1. I like the green tone but PS is new to me too... so blotchiness is my fault.
    2. I noticed the hair in the face after I got home and loaded pics. Doesn't that suck?! And I was shooting from the wrong side.rolleyes1.gif There is also a short garage door blocking the light on her head... it wouldn't go any farther and Kari gets blinded outside.
    4. AHAHA, the sliding look was unintentional. I'll have to tell her that, she'll get a kick out it. I need to watch my cropping.
    6. I wish my setup shots had turned out. There's three cars shoved up all together in this 10 foot by 15 foot space. This was by the window and couldn't move it, the tired were all blown out. The shirt is blown too. More PS trial and error.

"Okay- now go bash my girl and car photos." - I'll look for them but I won't bash them.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    #1. I really like this one. I like that the background color matches the eyes and I like the light though she could use a lil more on her left side.

#2. Armpits & Stray hair, no.

#3. I think it's beautiful. Agree with Heather on the blue.

#4. I like the attempt, but the cropped parts are hurting me. :( Don't crop at joints.

#5. Nice outfit but cropped again. Looked up through the rest of the images again, now I remember this model. Still think she could benefit from more light in the eyes, but not bad at all.

#6. I like this one a lot. Maybe level it? Clone the electrical stuff by her face out. All that light on the top, but it's not getting to the face.

#7. I like the color choice. Cropped at joint.

#8. Now that's what I'm talking about when I say get light in her eyes! iloveyou.gifclap.gifclap.gifwings.gif Her face and the colors pop out the image and she's gorgeous. Crop the bottom to right above her hand at the bottom of the BMW logo and it may look more comfortable.

Fun stuff to look at. Kudos!
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    Thanx for the kudos. :D I'm working on the lighting thing. I'm bringing a very large, no, two very large reflectors to our next shoot which will be at sunset... so... hopefully it all goes well.
    I like 1 too, need to fix up the blotches. I told her to put her arms up... We'll find a happy medium because we plan to do cutesy pin up at some point. No cropping at joints, check. Her eyes are really nice and a turqoise blue color with the right light.
    I like color casts but I realize it's not for everyone. Kari said she liked it so I went for a lot of different shades. I think you'll like the pic I'm putting up for the filters 2.4 contest. Features some pretty eyes. :D Thanks for the C+C!
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2008
    #6 is just stunning! I love the split lighting, the lines in the pose, her expression, just about everything (except the slight horizon tilt and the electrical thingy growing out of her head....both easily fixable)

I really like the shots where her mouth is slightly open.

#3 is really cool too, it looks a bit soft but I loove the cyan coloring, and the detail/reflections in her eyes.

Overall, a very impressive series....yowzas!!! clap.gifclap

Everybody's free to wear Juniper Breeze!

You are friggin HILARIOUS! What about Plumeria? :puke
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    #6 is just stunning! I love the split lighting, the lines in the pose, her expression, just about everything.

#3 is really cool too, it looks a bit soft but I loove the cyan coloring, and the detail/reflections in her eyes.
    I can't take credit for the split lighting, that'd be the window and sun duking it out. I like the blue too. She's as cool as ice.:D Cloning and the removing of special stuff is something I'll tackle. Thank you ma'am, for the comments and the compliments!
  • Options
    HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    I really like #8. It's much better than mine.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • Options
    NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    OOOHH!! Cmor!!

iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

First glance, so will come back, but these are so stylish and yet so casual - in short, so charming. And accomplished! I think the best shots of this model I have seen. She really comes alive and your interaction with her is part of that life!

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Halliday wrote:
    I really like #8. It's much better than mine.
    Thank you, but I didn't see your pics of the same poses. I'm sure your giant lens didn't make you do a lot of pp like my inexp with my 50mm did. :cry Plus, I was on the wrong ISO setting the whole time........ I think she looks like she got hit my the car and is now dead on the hood. Have you updated your gallery so I can see the pics???? clap.gif I hope Kari likes the funky colours.
    #4 she's laughing at you!!
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    You are friggin HILARIOUS! What about Plumeria? :puke
    Oh yes, yes, Plumeria is #2. The juniper breeze catch phrase came from an ad lib long ago. Do you remember the song "Everybody's Free to Wear Juniper Breeze?" I made a B&B Works ad with it. Plumeria, Lemon Grass and Cheese, cheese? No... Juniper Breeze, yyyeah.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    NeilL wrote:
    First glance, so will come back, but these are so stylish and yet so casual - in short, so charming. And accomplished! I think the best shots of this model I have seen.
    It couldn't have anything to do with the messed up crap i say to her?? I think at one point I was screaming "You're a cat! BE a CAT!! YES! but with more of a drugged milk look! YES! NO!" I have a lot of fun with Kari. Lance/Halliday was there too, we were all near exhaustion and dehydration but we all had a good time. Glad to see it paid off.:D I await the C+C from Neil "nudity is awesome" Neil-ivers-son.
    Have you seen vintage pics of Kari somewhere? I must see, linky please! She's been modeling for a few years. I've only known her for a year or so.
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    "You're a cat! BE a CAT!! YES! but with more of a drugged milk look! YES! NO!"

lol3.gif I'm adding this to my list of pose directions...
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2008
    Llywellyn wrote:
    lol3.gif I'm adding this to my list of pose directions...
    It actually works because they think you're clinically insane. The person posing will think it's safe to show their natural smile and relax a bit. They suspect nothing!!
  • Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Not is they are small , petite , and NOT in the way !!!!
    Richard wrote:
    Do we really need to get into a watermarks discussion again? Really? rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2008
    Very nicely done !!! (well , except for the watermarks , but IO will look past that !!! Laughing.gif):D

The first and last are my favorites .....
    You seem to work well with this model . Is she your good friend/GF ??
    BTW , these are much better than the other shoot with her !!!! thumb.gif