Options

Lightroom 2. out now!

joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
edited August 2, 2008 in Finishing School
The final version has just been released!

http://lightroom-news.com/2008/07/28/adobe-releases-photoshop-lightroom-2/

Now do I upgrade straight away or do I wait for the smugmug uploader to be updated?:scratch
jamesOgle photography
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    The final version has just been released!

http://lightroom-news.com/2008/07/28/adobe-releases-photoshop-lightroom-2/

Now do I upgrade straight away or do I wait for the smugmug uploader to be updated?headscratch.gif
    There is a current SmugMug plugin for LR2 already. If you are using LR you should be using Jeffrey Friedl's SM Plug-in.

It is all I use to upload to SM from LR2.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    There is a current SmugMug plugin for LR2 already.....

Doh, I should have known it would have already been sorted! :D
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    Doh, I should have known it would have already been sorted! :D

Well, is it worth dropping $99 on the upgrade?
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    That is what I would like to know as well! I am highly interested in the selected editing part!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    The localized correction brushes alone are worth $99, yet you get so much
    more than that with this upgrade. Definitely worth it.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Upgraded, painlessly clap.gif
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    cmason wrote:

Why not try downloading the 30 day trial?

Anthony.
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Is Lightroom 2 worth getting if I already have Aperture 2?
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    Is Lightroom 2 worth getting if I already have Aperture 2?
    THe only way you will know for sure is to try the 30 day Trial! Go for it!

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Does anyone know if the localized edits in LR2 go with the XMP? (or in my case DNG) Meaning that if I make localized edits in LR to either a CR2 or DNG would those changes carry with the files? I know that the edits would not show up if you then used another RAW converter on the files, but what about ACR (once it gets updated) ? Is it going to have the same localized edits capability? My guess is it will not.

So assuming this is the case if I am using CR2 files then I would guess the localized edits will not go with the files. What about DNG? Because it has a full size embedded preview would the localized edits show up on the preview image which is what I use for printing a lot of my basic prints anyway.

If I needed to create a new thread for this please do so! This question has been hanging around my head since I heard LR2 was going to have this feature, and I need to get it figured out so I know whether or not I should use them.

For people's information I use Lightroom only for the initial RAW conversion. Here is my basic approach:

1) Import CR2 files into LR
    2) Make all basic RAW edits
    3) Export changes to XMP
    4) Convert CR2 to DNG files
    5) Remove files from LR Library
    6) Import DNG files into IDImager
    7) I print from IDImager as long as the image doesn't need further editing. This uses the full embedded preview for printing, which is generally good enough since it is of the "developed" RAW data.
    8) If I need to do further editing I open the DNG in ACR, make any edits, then open in Photoshop'
    9) I save the edited file as a tif and import into IDImager as a version. I then use this as the print version from IDimager.

Thanks you!!
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    Pretty sure ACR 4.5 can show the edits. It must be ACR 4.5, though -- earlier versions don't support the LR 2.0 enhancements.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    Pretty sure ACR 4.5 can show the edits. It must be ACR 4.5, though -- earlier versions don't support the LR 2.0 enhancements.
    And PSCS3! for Edit in Photoshop! AFAIK

Don
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    CatOne wrote:

Hmm, ok, so if this is the casel especially with DNG files, then I guess I can assume the embedded preview is going to show the edits as well, since the preview created based on all of the edits in the XMP files when the DNG is created.

And if that is the case since IDImager uses the embedded preview of DNG files for both display and printing that should work perfectly!!
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    NAPP users should check the discounts page to save a little. deal.gif
  • Options
    barrywbarryw Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    There is also a 15% coupon code available for both the full and upgrade version here...

http://www.couponheaven.com/merchant.cfm/macromedia

Good till July 31st...

Cheers
    Experience - the thing you get just after you need it! :scratch :dunno

www.familychateau.smugmug.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    barryw wrote:
    There is also a 15% coupon code available for both the full and upgrade version here...

http://www.couponheaven.com/merchant.cfm/macromedia

Good till July 31st...

Cheers

Thanks, but looks like you have to buy both Lightroom and CS3 to qualify...durn
  • Options
    barrywbarryw Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Thanks, but looks like you have to buy both Lightroom and CS3 to qualify...durn

No - you don't - if you click in the link for the LR 2.0 (full or upgrade, see the discounted prices) you go to a page that loads your cart - check the price there. The other stuff about CS3 and what not is purely marketing trying to get you to purchase more.

Barry
    Experience - the thing you get just after you need it! :scratch :dunno

www.familychateau.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    I bought the upgrade and like the LR 1, I'm not impressed.
    Here is a place to get a 15% discount, good till 7/31/8

I think if you liked LR 1, you will continue to like it. If you didn't, then nothing in LR 2 will change your mind. As for the local editing feature. I watched the tutorial and tried it out a few times and find using the PSE's selection tool much easier/faster/more powerful. So I'm not happy with my decision to upgrade. Oh well.

http://www.digitaleditor.com/adobe?kw=lightroom%20coupon&gclid=coehwbxi5zqcfqczgqodkjarrw&redirect=1
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    As someone that has never had lightroom, and only switched to full CS3 last fall, and shoots sports...is this a better spend than new glass would be? I'd like to find a way to batch change WB/temp and maybe a couple other mods, then edit one by one. I am spending ALOT of time now doing basic edits to 4 gigs of game photos.

Thanks!

ann
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    As someone that has never had lightroom, and only switched to full CS3 last fall, and shoots sports...is this a better spend than new glass would be? I'd like to find a way to batch change WB/temp and maybe a couple other mods, then edit one by one. I am spending ALOT of time now doing basic edits to 4 gigs of game photos.

Thanks!

ann

If all you want to do is copy raw setting from one picture to another, you can do that in Bridge that comes with CS3. open one photo in ACR, tweak the settings, then click "done" instead of "open".

Then in bridge go to the menu: Edit > Develop Settings > Copy Develop Settings ; Edit > Develop Settings >Paste Develop Settings
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    As for the local editing feature. I watched the tutorial and tried it out a few times and find using the PSE's selection tool much easier/faster/more powerful.
    But within Lightroom you are doing this on the RAW file. This is something
    that has never been possible up till now. Saying that you can do the same
    kinds of edits in Photoshop is missing the point. You can do anything in
    Photoshop, that you can do in Lightroom, but being able to do as much as
    possible before the RAW file is rendered is a huge deal and one of the
    reasons that these brushes are getting so much (deserved) attention.
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:

Why on earth didn't you download the 30-day trial to check if you liked the product before spending your money?

Anthony.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Does anyone know if the localized edits in LR2 go with the XMP? (or in my case DNG) Meaning that if I make localized edits in LR to either a CR2 or DNG would those changes carry with the files? I know that the edits would not show up if you then used another RAW converter on the files, but what about ACR (once it gets updated) ?

Yes, that's the plan.

You need to always manually update the embedded JPEG in a DNG but after doing so, you'd see the update edits.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    jogle wrote:
    If all you want to do is copy raw setting from one picture to another, you can do that in Bridge that comes with CS3. open one photo in ACR, tweak the settings, then click "done" instead of "open".

Then in bridge go to the menu: Edit > Develop Settings > Copy Develop Settings ; Edit > Develop Settings >Paste Develop Settings

Hmmm, can you do that at once for a whole card worth of photos -> copy settings to 500 photos at the same time?

This post
    on Fred Miranda answers my question.
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Right, it's far from bulk-only processing. In fact, just the opposite. It allows you to make unique individual edits to each photograph without having to go through the old open, save, close, open, repeat routine. And of course you can also sync adjustments across multiple images simultaneously, particularly useful for syncronizing white balance settings across a series captured under the same color temp. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] Chris M[/FONT]

That is how I worked in Rawshooter - bulk change everything, then proceed one by one with tweaks. I need that ability, and it sounds like LR has it.

ann
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hmmm, can you do that at once for a whole card worth of photos -> copy settings to 500 photos at the same time?

Yes you sure can, this is exactly how I do it for reference pics I shoot at work. Set the white balance based on a greycard shot and then copy that to the rest.

If you liked rawshooter, give the LR 30 day demo a go.
    jamesOgle photography
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    That is how I worked in Rawshooter - bulk change everything, then proceed one by one with tweaks. I need that ability, and it sounds like LR has it.

Both Bridge and Lightroom can do that. Lightroom isn't necessary for that if you already have Bridge. Lightroom is a bit more friendly though, since you don't have to do your edits inside a Camera Raw dialog box.

You can also undo a bulk metadata sync in Lightroom. In Bridge, if you paste settings onto images and then realize the file selection accidentally included 450 other images that should not have been changed, there's no way back.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Its not really fair to lump Bridge with Lightroom. Bridge is simply a browser, LR is a database. Then there are the additional modules.

IF all you want to do is process Raws, you can just use Bridge and ACR. The two cloned at the neck in no way makes Lightroom.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    HindsightHindsight Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2008
    Thanks for the 15% coupon. 15 bucks... yeh woohoo! It worked fine.
    My Gear: Nikon D300, D200, D100, 80-200 f2.8, DVX100B
    regular site
    oo
    smug site
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    arodney wrote:
    Its not really fair to lump Bridge with Lightroom. Bridge is simply a browser, LR is a database. Then there are the additional modules.

IF all you want to do is process Raws, you can just use Bridge and ACR. The two cloned at the neck in no way makes Lightroom.

So, as I thought I'd heard, lightroom does what I needed PLUS lots more.

Can you expand on the 'lots more'? Or point to the info elsewhere.

Thanks
    ann
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2008
    Try the LR2 Announcement at LR- Forums for a good listing and links to more info.

Don