Options

more mx

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:

This one of mine is even worse. Again, an in-camera crop, and I have no ability to undo the damage.
    50364921_asak5-M.jpg

I feel that this one works, only because you can see the rider's eyes looking directly at you as if to say "get out of my way". The eyes are the first thing I noticed and are the main point of focus moreso than the actual bike and rider together. Just my .02.
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    mercphoto wrote:
    I'll repeat myself: I highly suggest not shooting in "sports" mode. Take charge of how you want the image to look. Are you trying to freeze motion or show motion? Is the background important and you need it reasonably focused, or do you want the background blurred out?

thanks for all the input. I guess I want the backround blurred out if it will help bring more speed to the subject.

how do I do that? :D

thanks!
  • Options
    2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2008
    amadeus wrote:
    thanks for all the input. I guess I want the backround blurred out if it will help bring more speed to the subject.

thanks!

To get the background in a soft focus, you need to use large apertures and medium to long focal lengths. I'd suggest starting with f4.0. This should give you a soft focus and yet some depth of field, to make sure the bike is all in focus. You can adjust from there to get the "look" you want. Set your camera to aperture priority.

Focal lengths of 85mm and up will help you achieve this. The longer the focal length, the narrower the depth of field you can acheive.

You need to understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed, iso rating and how the effect each other. You can't change one, without effecting another. If you don't understand this, get online and look up any basic photography discussion of setting exposures. Without a thorough underdstanding of this, you will just be shooting in the dark.:D
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2008
    amadeus wrote:

thanks!

Another way is to pan;

336188733_P6ufc-O.jpg

336188755_ts9dA-L.jpg

336189052_fBazJ-O.jpg

336189103_FV2wG-O.jpg

336189152_LxZnQ-O.jpg

336188936_8TamH-O.jpg

All at 1/100 to 1/160.
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins